Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Cyberspace Questions Answered in an IGN Video coming tomorrow

Shiny Gems

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

From what we've seen so far of the game, the boost does not function like the be-all-end-all offensive tool that it was in past games.

Rather, more like something of an acceleration mechanic. 

In some shape or form, the spin dash might be in to handle the more offensive speed capabilities. 

Yes, before I was thinking with how the Boost worked, there could be more uses for the Spin Dash. Why did I even ask?

But what about the boost at 400 rings with the blue aura?

I liked the Spin Dash a lot in Lost World, at least. I know it wasn't proper rolling and since you could press the trigger again to maintain it forever it was functionally an off-brand boost at the end of the day but I dunno, it was decently fun. I'm still upset they went back to Sonic just running into things.

...I still wonder what happens when you boost into things in this game actually, have any previews commented on that at all?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MightyGems said:

Yes, before I was thinking with how the Boost worked, there could be more uses for the Spin Dash. Why did I even ask?

But what about the boost at 400 rings with the blue aura?

Perhaps that's a more super charged version, reward and all that?

Just now, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Perhaps that's a more super charged version, reward and all that?

Perhaps. With that, I do hope it interferes not with the Spin Dash, if it is in the game.

12 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

And that's not at all a bad thing! My biggest concern is more so me trying to remember and use the moves, i'm not the best with keeping track of so many things at one time.

Heh, maybe that's why I'm not into open worlds. My brain resents them since they're complex 😛 

I can kind of understand that fear.

While I've often never had that type of trouble, there are occasionally the control schemes that can come off as daunting. Hopefully, Frontiers' is nice and coherent enough with however many moves that have in store for us.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lost World basically had the drop dash anyhow. 

Random thought but cyberspace levels with Lost World's cylindrical design would be neat. 

9 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

It did basically have the Drop Dash, didn't it?

But also a regular Spin Dash. Kind of.

Essentially a super-charged spin-dash that was very fun to find ways to keep going. Not too dissimilar from the boost, but with the feel of a spin-dash.

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

I liked the Spin Dash a lot in Lost World, at least. I know it wasn't proper rolling and since you could press the trigger again to maintain it forever it was functionally an off-brand boost at the end of the day but I dunno, it was decently fun. I'm still upset they went back to Sonic just running into things.

...I still wonder what happens when you boost into things in this game actually, have any previews commented on that at all?

If I had to guess, boosting into an enemy without the blue aura just hurts/does nothing, while boosting with aura initiates the combo as if you homing attacked it

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I can recall (since I don't have Origins) is that one of the problems with Sonic Team's implementation of the Drop Dash was that Sonic couldn't freely turn since Sonic 1 & 2's coding never allowed for Sonic to turn while in mid air in ball form after a roll (where as this isn't so much of a problem in Sonic CD since you always could freely turn while in mid air)

Well, at least in Frontiers's case, Sonic can freely turn while in ball form too (as well as double jump anyway)

So I think the only thing left is to see how it actually functions and reacts on these hills, how much speed it gives, as well if they did anything new to it (like anything skill tree related to that move)

It'll definitely have its uses in here, too. The boost isn't nearly as overpowered in Frontiers as it was in other games for starters (doesn't seem to even have a hitbox anymore), on top of it running on meter, unlike a typical Drop Dash would (which should keep giving you more speed indefinitely the longer you roll downwards depending on if the physics work properly for Frontiers. Also, you would get a more instant, controlled speed burst as you land on a higher platform if you connect a landing with a Drop dash, unlike a boost where a player blitzing off as fast as possible with a boost still relies on how fast the player can react when landing on a surface (stuff like this matters for things like speed runners, time attacks and such). They could have even made so that Drop Dashing down hills could accelerate Sonic faster than running depending on how they want to balance his kit. 

Either way though, I'm just glad that the Drop Dash was even in consideration. It's baby steps for someone like me that just wants to see Sonic rolling around and gaining speed off of the levels like he used too.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, StriCNYN3 said:

From what I can recall (since I don't have Origins) is that one of the problems with Sonic Team's implementation of the Drop Dash was that Sonic couldn't freely turn since Sonic 1 & 2's coding never allowed for Sonic to turn while in mid air in ball form after a roll (where as this isn't so much of a problem in Sonic CD since you always could freely turn while in mid air)

That's not a problem, that's how the games work. The Drop Dash works fine, if you can't turn after jumping out of rolling form that's not the Drop Dash's fault, that's how the physics in most of the classic games AND Advance games always worked.

I'm pretty sure that it's not the Drop Dash in Sonic 3 that allows you to control Sonic in ball form, they just changed the "rule" in general. In the original game, the only way to take back control of Sonic was to perform an insta-shield. (it's likely that they didn't change it for the sake of changing it, but due to the game being based on Mania's code which also allows you to turn mid-air from ball form).

I prefer being in control of Sonic in jump even from rolling, mind you, though it's not Sega's fault if they didn't completely change how the physics work only in order to add a move.

1 hour ago, Iko said:

That's not a problem, that's how the games work. The Drop Dash works fine, if you can't turn after jumping out of rolling form that's not the Drop Dash's fault, that's how the physics in most of the classic games AND Advance games always worked.

I'm pretty sure that it's not the Drop Dash in Sonic 3 that allows you to control Sonic in ball form, but they just changed the "rule" in general. In the original game, the only way to take back control of Sonic was to perform an insta-shield.

I prefer being in control of Sonic in jump even from rolling, mind you, though it's not Sega's fault if they didn't completely change how the physics work only in order to add a move.

Well it becomes a problem because it negates the Drop Dash’s main purpose, which is to maintain flow from any angle after a jump. If Sonic can’t turn on a dime and maintain his flow after landing, then it loses most of its purpose.

Thats why Sonic 3 origins was done the way it was done where as Sonic 1 & 2’s feels restricted. Regardless of how the lock jump was always coded for these classics, it goes at complete odds for the new mechanic, which is where stealth and the rest recognized for Sonic 3. They took that lock jump limitation into account unlike what Sonic Team did. Sonic Team only got lucky with CD since the Sonic Team back then realized that lock jumping was pretty much obsoleted and just felt better to give Sonic more aerial control after rolling the same as he does for a regular run jump. 

1 hour ago, StriCNYN3 said:

Well it becomes a problem because it negates the Drop Dash’s main purpose, which is to maintain flow from any angle after a jump. If Sonic can’t turn on a dime and maintain his flow after landing, then it loses most of its purpose.

Thats why Sonic 3 origins was done the way it was done where as Sonic 1 & 2’s feels restricted. Regardless of how the lock jump was always coded for these classics, it goes at complete odds for the new mechanic, which is where stealth and the rest recognized for Sonic 3. They took that lock jump limitation into account unlike what Sonic Team did. Sonic Team only got lucky with CD since the Sonic Team back then realized that lock jumping was pretty much obsoleted and just felt better to give Sonic more aerial control after rolling the same as he does for a regular run jump. 

The difference is that Headcannon recreated Sonic 3 from scratch (with Mania's code as a base, which already had the Drop Dash and got rid of lock jump, so it's pretty much copy-paste there), while Sonic Team just added one move on top of a bunch of already finished games.

Redesigning the core gameplay of those finished games was not part of the plan, and it would have required rewriting part of the physics code (even though the needed change is probably not that big). They didn't make a bad choice in that regard, the goal of the collection is to let you play the classic games, adding the drop dash to them was not required at all, it's just a plus. The project is clearly done with a limited budget and kinda rushed, so the fact that they dedicated some effort to add the Drop Dash to those games is already enough for me.

If they had to recode the games from scratch, I'm pretty sure they would have removed the lock jump as well (I doubt Sonic Team would keep such a limitation for the sake of nostalgia and accuracy to the source), but rewriting the main code was not part of the project, they called Headcannon for that and only for Sonic 3 because a remake of it was missing.

EDIT: and I forgot that we're in a Frontiers thread, sorry for the off-topic

5 minutes ago, Iko said:

The difference is that Headcannon recreated Sonic 3 from scratch (with Mania's code as a base, which already had the Drop Dash and got rid of lock jump, so it's pretty much copy-paste there), while Sonic Team just added one move on top of a bunch of already finished games.

Redesigning the core gameplay of those finished games was not part of the plan, and it would have required rewriting part of the physics code (even though the needed change is probably not that big). They didn't make a bad choice in that regard, the goal of the collection is to let you play the classic games, adding the drop dash to them was not required at all, it's just a plus. The project is clearly done with a limited budget and kinda rushed, so the fact that they dedicated some effort to add the Drop Dash to those games is already enough for me.

If they had to recode the games from scratch, I'm pretty sure they would have removed the lock jump as well (I doubt Sonic Team would keep such a limitation for the sake of nostalgia and accuracy to the source), but rewriting the main code was not part of the project, they called Headcannon for that and only for Sonic 3 because a remake of it was missing.

Oh yea nah, I'm sure Sonic Team most likely would've took out the lock jump if they had more time to assess things, but with Origins ending up being such a rush job, the drop dash inconsistencies between games on Sonic Teams part were overlooked, intentionally or not. (I've read in some Youtube comments though that apparently the lock jump code is as easy as 3 lines of code to remove =P)

But this is why I bring up Frontiers, because it seems that you don't really have to worry about them fucking it up unlike in Origins based on the info that we know so far. Just in general, it seems that Sonic Team is really taking into account how Sonic plays, and with that, they've already got Sonic inherently very flexible with his aerial mobility with his ball form (he can do full on 360's while in it) and he can double jump anyway, another form of course correcting himself even if somehow lock jumping comes back after rolling.

• Thumbs Up 2