Awoo.

Sonic Movie 2 Japanese Dub (August 19th)

VO.SUPER

Since the Japanese release of the film is looking to be a special release on its own, I felt a new topic at least discussing it would be interesting. 

So, a few fun cameos for this movie. Not only is Korone going to be a voice for the film, Masato Nakamura from Dreams Come True is also going to play a role in the film, as the dancing guy during the bar scene. Go figure. 

Also, looks like the film is replacing Uptown Funk with the vocal version of Green Hill, (the translation doesn't make it clear, but the implication seems there)

I'm glad that this movie is getting some special attention in Japan.  I do wonder if this movie will be the make it or break it for how popular Sonic is in Japan?

All I have are twitter and youtube by eye analysis so I have nothing concrete to add. 

But the first dub trailer has the highest views their Japanese page has gotten for a trailer in the last four months, since the subtitled trailer. 

So hey, maybe. 

I assume they're following the English version's lead since those two are different actors, because Ryo Hirohashi reprises Tails mirroring Colleen O'Shaughnessy voicing Tails in the movie. I also think there's cases where certain screen actors have designated dub voices over there, like Koichi Yamadera voices Robotnik because he dubs most of Carrey's roles in Japanese, instead of Kotaro Nakamura, the current games voice for Eggman. Might not necessarily be the case for Schwartz and Elba, these actors could probably dub for them in Japanese going forward.

54 minutes ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

One thing I have wondered is this:
Why didn't Junichi Kanemaru and Nobutoshi Canna, the voice actors for Sonic and Knuckles in Japan for almost 25 years at this point, come back to reprise their roles in the dubs of the movies?

It's just common sense.

Juninchi said that the character wasn't the same one, so he turned down the role.

No idea on Nobutoshi.

Edit: A rumor? Couldve sworn i saw a documentation interviewing him. But maybe I'm mistaken. 

23 minutes ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

Fair enough.

At this point, I don't know.

Masato Nakamura voicing the Russian dancer is quite cool. Nice little callback to the original game.

Also, who do you guys think Korone is gonna voice?

Took me a while to remember, but she'll probably be that G.U.N lady who first mentioned the coordinates to Project Shadow.  

More confirmation that the song is replacing the ending, but still no hard confirm if it is in the Uptown Funk scene, or just in the ending. Obviously mentioning how the "screening" versions will be different. 

Impressions are in from Japanese publications after early screenings and they seem to be positive: 

Tails and Knuckles also participate! The movie "Sonic the Movie/Sonic VS Knuckles" focuses on the battle between the revived Robotnik and Sonic's origin (4gamer.net)

As a royal hero action movie, there is no doubt that it is more complete than the previous work. On the other hand, from old fans from the Mega Drive era to fans who knew Sonic from recent series works, there are many productions that stimulate that acupoint. It is strongly recommended that you never leave your seat until the end roll is over.
By the way, the theme song of the Japan version is "UP ON THE GREEN HILL from Sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill Zone - MASADO and MIWASCO Version -" by DREAMS COME TRUE. If you hear "that melody" in the play, something hot will come up in your chest.
I think there are many Sonic fans who can't wait for the release next month, but I hope you will review the previous game before that and enjoy the new Sonic adventure.

Mind the machine translation.

Movie "Sonic the Movie: Sonic VS Knuckles" Pre-Review (denfaminicogamer.jp)

In this way, Sonic the Movie: Sonic VS Knuckles is a large-volume entertainment work based on the heart-wrenching comedy and sonic action that the previous film set out, with more adventure, scale, and drama woven by Sonic.

The thrilling action, comedy, and dynamic ending of the story that you can't read ahead of you should be seen for yourself.

Also, Japan got a new poster.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope the movie does better than the first did in Japan. It would be cool for Sonic to get a bigger fan base in Japan. 

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Starnik said:

I hope the movie does better than the first did in Japan. It would be cool for Sonic to get a bigger fan base in Japan. 

I hope the second movie does well in Japan too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh hey, here's a better quality version of that poster. It's nice, but maybe that's because I'm a sucker for that background. 

40 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

Oh hey, here's a better quality version of that poster. It's nice, but maybe that's because I'm a sucker for that background. 

Oh wow!  This looks really good!

New promos too between Masato Nakamura, and some Japanese Content creator I don't know. But hey, we get new animation of the boys! 

Sonic 1 made about 1.5 million in Japan according to BoxOfficeMojo. Hopefully it can at least match that number with the sequel. I’m guessing it the sequel won’t be a huge hit, but could make a couple million more. Im thinking 3-5 million in Japan for the sequel, but I’m not sure how bad COVID was at the time of the first release.

In commemoration of the release, TV Tokyo is airing the first movie on broadcast TV for the first time. (I think it goes without saying I mean Japanese TV)

This is a sweet video from an early screening for families where Sonic's VA shows up to take questions from the kids. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

This is a sweet video from an early screening for families where Sonic's VA shows up to take questions from the kids. 

So cute!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

So, if Dreams Come True replaces Uptown Funk, it looks like this song is replacing "Stars in the Sky" a brand new song just made for the film. 

• 2 weeks later...

The movie released earlier today, and the response seems positive. 

https://lp.p.pia.jp/article/news/242012/index.html?detail=true&page=2

This is an interview conducted with SEGA Producer Toku Nakahara on the relationship between SEGA and Paramount. 

The translation is a little funky. 

In 2017, the game "Sonic Mania" became quite a hit, and we were approached to make a movie about it. At the time, Sonic was not explosively popular in the U.S., but he was a character that had gained a certain level of popularity. The people who used to play the game, in other words, today's generation of parents, know about Sonic, but it is not clear whether children know about him or not.

Therefore, if a movie is made here, we will be able to spend more money on promotion than was possible when the game was released, so that young children, their parents' generation, and even people in regions where Sonic was not well-known can enjoy the game. We felt that the timing was right for a "Hollywood movie," a huge firework display.

At the time, however, there were some within Sega who did not welcome the idea of making a Sonic movie.

At the time, there were some who said, 'There have been many failed cases of game adaptations into movies,' or 'We'll be duped and just take the money.

But as it turned out, Sega had the flexibility to change things that needed to be changed in order for a wider audience to see the films, and Paramount had an understanding and respect for video games, so both sides were able to come to terms at the right time."

Sonic fans are very vocal. Paramount was surprised at how many enthusiastic fans there were in the process of making the film, and as Paramount executives saw the fans' Tweets and posts, they began to think, 'Let's listen to the fans' voices. That's because of Sonic's fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic came in 12th place on opening day. 

The numbers are comparable to the first film's. 

Despite the film getting high reviews on Filmarks, the thing just isn't getting the people. Its big competition is One Piece Film Red. 

10 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

Sonic came in 12th place on opening day. 

The numbers are comparable to the first film's. 

Despite the film getting high reviews on Filmarks, the thing just isn't getting the people. Its big competition is One Piece Film Red. 

It's a shame that the movie is starting out rough, but maybe because it's an American made film that the movie isn't doing well?  I mean the One Piece movie is made in Japan.

It's pretty complicated. Your statement is true in how it's an "American movie" that's less appealing, not because of the fact, but more because the story flow and humour being western-style is not meshing with most Japanese people.