Awoo.

What were the saddest moments in the Sonic the Hedgehog Comic Books?

Rabbitearsblog

So, what were some of the saddest moments for you in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic books?  Any moment can be from the Fleetway comics, the Archie Comics or the IDW comics.  For me personally, I have two sad moments from the Archie Comics and the IDW comics that really hit me.

tumblr_f07f946b19837764374048b064e2f07c_2aaf481e_500.jpg

So in this moment from the Archie Comics, Sonic and Sally confront Dr. Eggman when Dr. Eggman is about to unleash a machine that will turn the entire world into robots and Sally decides to sacrifice herself to save the world.  It was during this moment that Sonic looks on in pain and terror at seeing Sally transform into Mecha Sally.  What made this moment really sad was that a few minutes before, Sonic and Sally had just gotten back together and were sharing a kiss before they went to face Dr. Eggman.  It was just devastating seeing one of the longest running couples in the Archie series be separated from each other in the worst way possible.

7iamvee2r6741.webp

In this tragic moment from the IDW series, Sonic comes to the other characters, and he tells them that Tangle has been infected by the Metal Virus and that he was forced to leave her behind.  This ends up really upsetting Whisper, who became great friends with Tangle and she tries desperately to get to Tangle, but Amy and the Wisps are forced to hold her back while they ended up leaving the scene.  This scene really hit home for me because you get to see the anguished look on Whisper's face when she hears that Tangle has been infected and what's worse, she's forced to leave her best friend behind when she wanted to help her the most.

• Thumbs Up 2

To add on, Antoine's sacrifice also was a pretty strong moment from the old series (#234, I think?).

I don't know if anything can top that scene from the Metal Virus arc, but we will just have to wait and see what the future brings. I do have a bit of a nod when Belle reads Mr. Tinker's final letter to her and she realizes she has to say goodbye to him forever as he will never be back to what he was before.

• Fist Bump 2

Honestly, for the most part, I've felt that the Sonic comics' attempted emotional moments have almost always fallen flat with me in the decades I've been reading them.

Pretty much the only moment that kinda hit me hard was Antoine's dad passing away in the Archie comics. Antoine became a blubbering mess, rattling off all his character flaws and how his dying dad must be so disappointed in him. Then his dad reassures him with all the things he's done right before dying. It was an emotional gut punch to be sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Honestly, for the most part, I've felt that the Sonic comics' attempted emotional moments have almost always fallen flat with me in the decades I've been reading them.

Pretty much the only moment that kinda hit me hard was Antoine's dad passing away in the Archie comics. Antoine became a blubbering mess, rattling off all his character flaws and how his dying dad must be so disappointed in him. Then his dad reassures him with all the things he's done right before dying. It was an emotional gut punch to be sure.

13 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

To add on, Antoine's sacrifice also was a pretty strong moment from the old series (#234, I think?).

I don't know if anything can top that scene from the Metal Virus arc, but we will just have to wait and see what the future brings. I do have a bit of a nod when Belle reads Mr. Tinker's final letter to her and she realizes she has to say goodbye to him forever as he will never be back to what he was before.

Man, Antoine's had it rough in the Archie Comics.

But yeah, everything about Belle was pretty sad, especially since she found out that Mr. Tinker is Dr. Eggman and that she may never see Mr. Tinker again because of this.

I can't find the damn panel, but it's the page where Big is hold a zombot Froggy and he's at his home, and he's just happy to be there.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sonic Fan 3,183 said:

I can't find the damn panel, but it's the page where Big is hold a zombot Froggy and he's at his home, and he's just happy to be there.

You mean this panel?

maxresdefault (2).jpg

• My Emmerdoods 2

8 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

You mean this panel?

maxresdefault (2).jpg

Yes. I mean that panel. I am now going to cry in my shower for around 12 hours.

Goodbye.

9 minutes ago, Sonic Fan 3,183 said:

Yes. I mean that panel. I am now going to cry in my shower for around 12 hours.

Goodbye.

Awwww....

123 comes to mind, which ends the love triangle between Sally, Sonic and Mina. Mina gets shot by Nack while coming to the realization that Sonic and Sally have too much history for her to really stand a chance. I remember it being a bitter sweet tale. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

123 comes to mind, which ends the love triangle between Sally, Sonic and Mina. Mina gets shot by Nack while coming to the realization that Sonic and Sally have too much history for her to really stand a chance. I remember it being a bitter sweet tale. 

To be honest, I never really cared for Mina since she didn't really bring much to the story, other than being a third love interest to Sonic.  But, I did find this scene of her realizing that Sonic and Sally were meant to be together pretty sad.

@Rabbitearsblog

I liked her perspective as an outsider trying to get her foot in the door to the Freedom Fighter clubhouse, and this was the perfect capstone to that era of her character.

I can't really say my experience with the Archie comics since I haven't been around to read them.

But I have been reading through the IDW comics and I just gotten to this part.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:10 AM, Rabbitearsblog said:

In this tragic moment from the IDW series, Sonic comes to the other characters, and he tells them that Tangle has been infected by the Metal Virus and that he was forced to leave her behind.  This ends up really upsetting Whisper, who became great friends with Tangle and she tries desperately to get to Tangle, but Amy and the Wisps are forced to hold her back while they ended up leaving the scene.  This scene really hit home for me because you get to see the anguished look on Whisper's face when she hears that Tangle has been infected and what's worse, she's forced to leave her best friend behind when she wanted to help her the most.

Seeing Whisper that beat up was something that was built up in the story so seeing the delivery is heart wrenching if you try to step into her shoes. Her old crew was betrayed from within and put down and Tangle was the only person trying to help her through that emotional trouble. Now the one person she trusts the most is sacrificing herself to save Whisper from the zombot horde and eventually Tangle herself... and Whisper being powerless to prevent her losing Tangle too.

I must say that another part that struck a chord with me is seeing the Tornado Mech being torn to pieces and Tails being really saddened and beat up about it that he needed to let it go to escape the shiny shambling masses. Mostly because I grew up with SA2 so seeing the mech being trashed is like a limb being torn from me...

Overall this point in the IDW comics feels incredibly heavy. It's filled with so much doubt, sadness, dread and hopelessness an absolute deep point. The computers to write a cure for the virus are destroyed or inaccessible, Sonic's biometric data got lost with the destruction of his tracker, Sonic starts to feel powerless to save his friends seeing them being turned in front of his eyes one by one in an effort to save the citizens.
Trying to imagine being in the same situation is suffocatingly sad or depressing.

• Fist Bump 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:07 AM, Rabbitearsblog said:

You mean this panel?

maxresdefault (2).jpg

This Panel was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in Sonic comics in a long time.

• Absolutely 1

14 hours ago, SharkSoldier said:

This Panel was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in Sonic comics in a long time.

Yeah.  Just seeing how detailed everything looks and everything's in a purple color, which just makes the panel even more disturbing.

Having to break the news to a young Archie Sonic fan back in 2014 that many of the characters he loved had been permanently removed from the comic.

Sometimes I wonder how he took the distributor dropping the series entirely months later, and whether he eventually discovered IDW.

I can definitely understand that. 

I consider "Endangered Species" to be a pretty sad moment in the series as well as it was the beginning of the end of the enriched universe that took decades to build as well as the heavily modified last minute changes that rendered it darker and more incomplete than originally intended.

56 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

I can definitely understand that. 

I consider "Endangered Species" to be a pretty sad moment in the series as well as it was the beginning of the end of the enriched universe that took decades to build as well as the heavily modified last minute changes that rendered it darker and more incomplete than originally intended.

It was sad in how Endangered Species ended.  I can't believe the whole universe of the Archie Comics was taken away from us like that.

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It was sad in how Endangered Species ended.  I can't believe the whole universe of the Archie Comics was taken away from us like that.

Speaking of that, aren't we nearing 10 years now since Endangered Species first came out?

- IDW: So much of Metal Virus obviously (Vector, Tangle, Cream)

- Archie: Antoine blown up in 234 of course One of few times fiction made me cry.
But also there was this scene in 241 between Naugus and King Max, witch ends with Max thanking his wife. This one got to me, because Max was so hateable stubborn old prick and in this moment I saw him as tired fragile man who's fought so hard only to loose almost everything and how pitiful he is. I treasure it because it's impressive to change my take on character with single scene.

- Fleetway: Ok, obviously this one has no real super crying moments, it was much simpler comic. But because of that when it did happened it caught me off guard, even if it was somewhat tame. In 127-130 Robotnik gains god like powers and with snap of a finger changes Mobius into "world where Sonic never existed". At one point Sonic asks where is Tails and Robotnik asks if Sonic remembers how the two first meet.

"Well of course. He was drowning in a swamp and ...I pulled him out..." And issue just end with Robotnik laughing over broken Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Antoine's sacrifice in #234 is definetely up there, the expressions, the build up, having Ant's letter being shown while the story happens,

That hit hard.

STH234-06.jpg

STH234-08.jpg

19 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But also there was this scene in 241 between Naugus and King Max, witch ends with Max thanking his wife.

I forgot about this, it's a really sweet, heartwarming moment.

STH241-10.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 10:41 PM, NikoS said:

Antoine's sacrifice in #234 is definetely up there, the expressions, the build up, having Ant's letter being shown while the story happens,

That hit hard.

STH234-06.jpg

STH234-08.jpg

I forgot about this, it's a really sweet, heartwarming moment.

STH241-10.jpg

It's a shame that they made King Max into such a horrible character in this series.

11 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It's a shame that they made King Max into such a horrible character in this series.

Yeah, though I wondered where they intended to take him before the abrupt end of the storyline.

4 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Yeah, though I wondered where they intended to take him before the abrupt end of the storyline.

I'm curious about that too...