Awoo.

What were the most disturbing moments in the Sonic the Hedgehog comics?

Rabbitearsblog

So, even though the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise is mostly kid-friendly, there were a couple of disturbing moments that happened throughout the franchise, especially in the comics.  So, what were some of the most disturbing moments to you in the Sonic the Hedgehog comics?  The moments can come from Fleetway, Archie or IDW.

EPmyGUhXUAYx4O-.png

I don't know.  This moment from the Metal Virus arc in the IDW comics where Sonic is half transformed into a zombot looks really creepy to me, especially with one of his eyes looking red and there seems to be some kind of frostbite on him with the virus.  It reminds you of what would happen if Sonic transforms fully into a zombot.  I imagine the results wouldn't be pretty...

static-assets-upload10098913972252729099.webp

So, we always know that the Tails Doll has always been creepy.  But, seeing the Tails Doll transform into this monstrosity in the Archie Comics was quite disturbing to look at and the Archie Comics did a pretty good job at making the Tails Doll extremely creepy.

• My Emmerdoods 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

The Metal Virus arc definitely had quite a few creepy moments, considering it was a near-zombie apocalypse for Sonic's world.

For Archie Sonic, off the top of my head:

-Rosy the Rascal.

rosy_render_by_strunton_dap5zsp-fullview

-Ixis Naugus's transformations: (EDIT: link does not seem to work, but those who read the King Naugus arc should get the idea.)

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/1/18/Ixis_Naugus_misformed.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160326174035

-And this panel from Dr. Eggman:

ybsap3627oo61.jpg

• Promotion 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

4 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Two words... TITAN TAILS!!!

Sonic the Hedgehog: Titan Tails Shows How MONSTROUS the Multiverse Can Be

Ah yes...who can forget Titan Tails?

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Ah yes...who can forget Titan Tails?

Tried to, but just failed.

"Why get to the choppah when I AM the choppah!"

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

The Metal Virus arc definitely had quite a few creepy moments, considering it was a near-zombie apocalypse for Sonic's world.

For Archie Sonic, off the top of my head:

-Rosy the Rascal.

rosy_render_by_strunton_dap5zsp-fullview

-Ixis Naugus's transformations: (EDIT: link does not seem to work, but those who read the King Naugus arc should get the idea.)

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/1/18/Ixis_Naugus_misformed.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160326174035

-And this panel from Dr. Eggman:

ybsap3627oo61.jpg

Yeah, Rosy the Rascal was surprisingly a disturbing character.

Tails Doll.... is there something wrong with me or.... is that.... a little....let's use word "freudian"?

Anyway, what you guys shown is kid stuff.

My pic would be #152. Anything drawn by James Fry is kinda nightmare fuel, helped by Penders horrible writing (honestly, Sonic hooking up with Bunny because Scourge made out with her pretending to be Sonic makes me sick as well).

But then we have this little image (by John Gray, not Fry)

image.thumb.png.49bba141075a452501eca37c18b9898e.png

I applaud Gray for making this image striking but... jesus, this is one most disturbing Sonic image I ever seen and I mean including some creepy fanarts. At least Gray had decency to shadow her eye socket, because Fry later shows clearly her eyeball is gone.

It's the tears that make it. You just know she's suffering.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

James Fry didn't draw the wonky off-model half of that story, it was Al Bigley. Fry was the one with the big anime expressions.

Anyway, the most objectively disturbing thing in the comics is the rampant parental abuse and occasional sexual assault that is either ignored or outright justified by Penders.

...but I assume we're talking about things that are actually meant to be freaky, so I'm gonna go ahead and say roboticization itself. They really don't play it up as much as you'd expect until Mecha-Sally, but the idea of being trapped within your own body and weaponized against your friends and family, while that self also epitomizes the worst things you think about yourself? Horrific. It also gave me one of my favorite pieces of fanart, which I for some reason thought was a variant cover for several years before I actually looked it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

image.thumb.png.49bba141075a452501eca37c18b9898e.png

Gonna have to agree with MetalShulk Bunnie being assimilated was some nightmare fuel, Jon Gray's whimsical stylings does nothing to alleviate it.

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

This was disturbing to a degree as it was a surprise on how they were able to get away with this in the comic:

EfO1zp_XsAQmzGv.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Fleetway's version of Super Sonic was pretty disturbing to me as a kid. He had absolutely zero fucks about who he wanted to hurt (Tails, or anyone who was in the vicinity).

Plus, those eyes...

STC7-SuperSonic.JPG.jpg

For me, Titan Tails was stupid.  Especially since I was told some “behind the scenes” tidbits about him becoming a kitsune but that never happened.  I was disappointed.

And the whole “everyone gets married and has kids and Sonic becomes royalty” concept bugged me.  I thought it was ill-fitting for these characters.

53 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Fleetway's version of Super Sonic was pretty disturbing to me as a kid. He had absolutely zero fucks about who he wanted to hurt (Tails, or anyone who was in the vicinity).

Plus, those eyes...

STC7-SuperSonic.JPG.jpg

Oh yeah!  Super Sonic was probably the most memorable thing about the Fleetway comics.

And we did have an evil Super Sonic from the Archie series, albeit briefly.

D0g1ajCXcAA-L5l.jpg

Was also disturbing to a degree.

• Thumbs Up 1

My problem with Fleetway Super was that he was all bark no bite.

In all of his early appearances, heroes panicked when showed up but all Super did was destroy the bad guys, then threaten the good guys, but turn back just in time to regular Sonic.

Running Wild was the first story to change that (took only like 70 issues). But even then he was twice used to saving the day in large storylines. If this comic was more self aware in it's comedy, people would worship Super Sonic as a great hero much to his annoyance.

• Absolutely 1

That was definitely one of the more disturbing images from the series with those soulless bodies.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Vampfox said:

Dark Knuckles from the Silver saga in Sonic Universe issues 25-28.

uFKWBuE.jpg

So, did Enerjak sucked out everyone's souls in this image?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, did Enerjak sucked out everyone's souls in this image?

Yep.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Charmy Bee getting brain damage in the Archie pre-reboot universe was pretty troubling, even if it was often handled in a goofy way. Not to mention Dulcy being physically abused by her boyfriend.

A few pretty disturbing but often forgotten things in that universe:

• When Robo-Robotnik took over Robotnik's role (and would soon become Eggman), they mentioned in his backstory that he nuked his home dimension's version of Mobius and killed the Freedom Fighters there, including Sonic and Sally's children.

• It was learned in the Iron Dominion arc that there used to be other Freedom Fighters in the Dragon Kingdom, but the Iron Queen was able to control Monkey Khan at one point and made him kill them all. Pretty horrifying for your arch-nemesis to have you kill all your allies.

• Dr. Finitevus bombing Albion and killing everyone there.

• The lore introduced by Flynn about the ancient echidnas experimenting on Tasmanian devils to "de-anthropomorphize" most of them is quite disturbing in my opinion.

• Even though it was handled in a not overly serious way, the old story were Bunnie had a nightmare where her roboticized parts took her over and fully roboticized her was pretty creepy conceptually.

• That time King Sonic's kids were erased by time travel in Ian Flynn's Mobius 25 Years Later (I didn't personally read that comic though, not a huge fan of the future stuff).
  • Too Many Rings 2

11 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

• The lore introduced by Flynn about the ancient echidnas experimenting on Tasmanian devils to "de-anthropomorphize" most of them is quite disturbing in my opinion.

Yeah, this one! I don't know why none ever brings this up, it's pretty disturbing in my opinion, far more than the Charmy episode.

On 7/15/2022 at 12:59 PM, Vampfox said:

Dark Knuckles from the Silver saga in Sonic Universe issues 25-28.

uFKWBuE.jpg

It maybe considered as disturbing, but I said it was the most badass picture from Archie!

• Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

On 8/1/2022 at 10:32 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Weren't the Tasmanian Devils introduced in the comics before Flynn came into the comics?

This line (or close to it) from Sonic to the Babylon Rogues (around the Mecha Sally arc):

"If no-one's OK, you better hope you can run faster than me."

Given all the crap he'd been through around that time, it was warranted, but still...