Awoo.

Piecing together the JP manual stories of Sonic 1, 2, and 3K (and maybe SA1)

Sean

I love discussing pre-2003 Sonic lore.

I also highly recommend Windii's translation of "Chaos Emerald Legend" and "At the End of the Battle..." from the Japanese Sonic Adventure Strategy Guide as they provide more details about the Knuckles clan, the Chaos Emeralds and Sonic Adventure's story in general.

Chaos Emerald Legendカオスエメラルド伝説https://pastebin.com/Vu8yNjtz
At the End of the Battle…戦いの末に……https://pastebin.com/fVAyJJAq

Chaos Emerald Legend says that it wasn't Tikal who caused Angel Island to rise into the sky, but the surviving echidnas. They used the Master Emeralds power to lift the surrounding area into the sky and took on the duty of guardians to make sure "an incident like this never happens again".

I've always wondered if South Island, Westside Island and Angel Island have a deeper connection somehow. All three have legends about the Chaos Emeralds and all three have similar ancient depictions of birds (Green Hill Zone, Labyrinth Zone, Aquatic Ruin and Hydro City). We know that Angel Island was originally connected to the landmass that the Mystic Ruins is on, but is it possible that South Island and Westside Island were too? Is it possible when Angel Island was ripped from the landmass it left behind smaller landmasses that over the course of 3000 years became known as South Island and Westside Island? We also know from Bark the Polar Bear's bio from Fighters Megamix that he's from North Island, but since we don't know anything about North Island it's hard to say if it has any relation to South Island and Westside Island other then sharing a similar naming scheme.

• Thumbs Up 2

This was an excellent write-up @Sean! Early Sonic lore is always a fascinating topic to me. 

Any thoughts on the relevance/placement of Sonic CD? 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

I also highly recommend Windii's translation of "Chaos Emerald Legend" and "At the End of the Battle..." from the Japanese Sonic Adventure Strategy Guide as they provide more details about the Knuckles clan, the Chaos Emeralds and Sonic Adventure's story in general.

Chaos Emerald Legend says that it wasn't Tikal who caused Angel Island to rise into the sky, but the surviving echidnas. They used the Master Emeralds power to lift the surrounding area into the sky and took on the duty of guardians to make sure "an incident like this never happens again".

I've always wondered if South Island, Westside Island and Angel Island have a deeper connection somehow. All three have legends about the Chaos Emeralds and all three have similar ancient depictions of birds (Green Hill Zone, Labyrinth Zone, Aquatic Ruin and Hydro City). We know that Angel Island was originally connected to the landmass that the Mystic Ruins is on, but is it possible that South Island and Westside Island were too? Is it possible when Angel Island was ripped from the landmass it left behind smaller landmasses that over the course of 3000 years became known as South Island and Westside Island? We also know from Bark the Polar Bear's bio from Fighters Megamix that he's from North Island, but since we don't know anything about North Island it's hard to say if it has any relation to South Island and Westside Island other then sharing a similar naming scheme.

Wow these are cool and had no idea about them, thanks for pointing me to these! I didn't know about whether there were any surviving echidna clan members (though obviously there would be since Knuckles descended from them lmao) so it makes sense they would be the ones to do it. And yeah I've always wondered whether the ancient carvings in any of these levels had backstory to them but Sega's never talked about them in any capacity, so it might just be stuff that only exists within the artists' minds or something.

9 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

This was an excellent write-up @Sean! Early Sonic lore is always a fascinating topic to me. 

Any thoughts on the relevance/placement of Sonic CD? 

I always assumed CD would go between 1 and 2 but tbh the reasons I left it out of this topic were that CD had nothing to do with the chaos emeralds, and that unlike the other games there's no indication of what the Little Planet's history was like. iirc the scrapped R2 level was meant to be a ruins-themed level like Marble Zone, so I wonder if it would have had anything interesting in it that suggested things about the past. There's also the statue in Wacky Workbench and it's such a random addition to the level that I can't help but wonder about its significance. But anyway I don't mind if people want to talk about CD in this topic either, I just didn't really have much to say about it in my opening post.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually watched videos on Classic lore not too long ago so this topic is welcome.

Excellent idea! As a person who got into Sonic from SA2 I did miss out on most of the lore the previous installments had so brushing up on it is great!

On 7/16/2022 at 7:24 AM, Sean said:

Sonic canon is stupid. But Sonic lore is interesting to me. That's why I really like the Japanese manuals for the original games because they shed some insight on the history of the chaos emeralds and the islands on which Sonic adventures in his endeavors to stop Dr. Eggman's plans.

If you need to brush up on your Sonic history be sure to give the translations a read at Sonic Retro. Make sure you're reading the translations by Windii and not anything from the US/EU manuals.

https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(16-bit)/Manuals
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_(16-bit)/Manuals
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3/Manuals
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_%26_Knuckles/Manuals

About the pop-up of chaos emeralds in a wide variety of places over time could be explained away by saying that the emeralds are actually drawn to strong emotions. As mentioned in the manual translation shared with us by Plumbers_Helper, chaos got powerful and went berserk because of Pachacamac's intrusion into the Chao's and Emerald's sanctuary.

Conflict/ ambition/ prosperity are all strong emotions and since the Chaos emeralds can amplify these sensations they could be drawn to them as well. Sonic's spat with Eggman on South Island could have become so heated that it drew the emeralds to the place and the good doctor actually caught wind of them before the blue blur did. Perhaps the distress of all the small animals being shoved into Eggman's robots to power them could have roused an accumulation of strong negative emotions that drew the Emeralds over.

On top of that once the power of the Emeralds is spent they scatter all over the place, but as stated by Tails in SA2 (yes I'm going 1 step further my bad) is that the emeralds also behave like magnets, they are drawn to one another, which could explain why they eventually show up on the same island.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:46 AM, Plumbers_Helper said:

Quite the idea which is not a far stretch given if we look at our current continental map IRL. It's a bit of a shame we never got an actual map of the islands, although that would be tough to piece together since mentioned in the SotH 1 manual: South Island is a floating island that just... floats about. Mayhaps it's even a part of Angel Island that got sheered off when the Echidna's tried to lift it into the sky. Such a landmass being forced into levitation goes under great duress to the structure of the island, creating a free-floating landmass

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/16/2022 at 12:24 AM, Sean said:

Now this being a legend and not presented as fact, it's up for debate as to how much of this is true. If the emeralds were really sealed on Westside Island hundreds of years ago, then that doesn't really explain how they managed to find their way onto South Island. What could be the meaning of this? Well as we all know, the location of the emeralds throughout the series is inconsistent and there have been few clearly established rules on how they operate. We know going by the ending of Sonic 1 that the emeralds can be used for an incredible burst of power before disappearing, kind of like how the Dragon Balls operate when whoever holds them all is granted a wish. After this, they scatter and lay dormant unless disturbed and their powers are called upon once more. And this time it just so happens that Eggman overheard the emeralds possibly stowed away on South Island, where they may have been hiding for countless years before the events of Sonic 1. My theory is that Westside Island's civilization tried to use them, but the emeralds reacted based on their evil, selfish intentions and turned their power against them (possibly suggesting they have a will of their own?). So the "gods" didn't exactly seal them under Westside Island but rather they disappeared and any survivors and bystanders assumed they remained dormant underneath Westside.

The inconsistent placement has actually been explained, which is rarely acknowledged, I feel.

Westside Island is a very ancient island with plenty of treasures and ancient ruins. It is also said to contain a small supply of a very powerful natural crystals called "Chaos Emeralds". These multi-colored emeralds have tremendous energy and could be used to create the most powerful nuclear bombs and laser weapons if they fell into the wrong hands. Legend says that they exist here, but nobody can remember actually seeing them. The reason for this is that the Chaos Emeralds exist in a _different dimension_ and no one has yet been able to find a way to actually possess them.

-Sonic the Hedgehog Technical Files

South Island is a treasure trove of gems and ruins. It is also said to be the island where the mystical "Chaos Emeralds" lay dormant. The Chaos Emeralds are a super-substance that gives energy to all living things. They can also be used to create nuclear weapons and laser beams through science and technology. However, no one knows how to obtain them. This is because South Island is a moving island, and the Chaos Emeralds exist within the distortions that the island creates.

-Sonic 1 JP Manual

Essentially, the special stages were canon, and the 3 islands of classics had the special properties of being full of rifts and portals to them. Therefor, each island's culture has encountered/utilized the emeralds before, but don't remember that they've returned to their dimension, leaving them as legends.

• Thumbs Up 6

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice and a great read, I always interpreted that the chaos emeralds being "located" on these islands simply meant that they are one of the few places in Sonics world that have access to the special zones. As for this ancient civilization my personal take is that Angel island, South island, and Westside Island where all once one large landmass home to the echidnas and that due to the destruction caused by Chaos the landmass simply broke apart into 3 islands.