Awoo.

PLAYSEGA Level Editor

Remy

Cool ^^ tell me what you think of it

also, anyone who signs up for PLaySEGA VIP Trial or subscription, be sure the check out the Genesis games, they run much better then the backbone ports on XBLA.

For some reason, it runs a lot better than most of the other stages I tried =\

Also i took 20 seconds longer to finish the stage when i took one of the lower paths, and I finished with 0 rings after hitting the sign post.

Why? Because one of the god damn Buzz Bombers flew from the right and rammed into me and lowering my high score >_>

Other than that, I like it a lot.

But now I have one other unanswerable question...will we see different level tiles soon D: ?

If you want something more powerful and accurate than this, you can try Stealth's E02 engine. It has a much steeper learning curve, though it seems easier than a ROM hack. It also has the advantage of not forcing you to learn an essentially dead programming language.

If you want something more powerful and accurate than this, you can try Stealth's E02 engine. It has a much steeper learning curve, though it seems easier than a ROM hack. It also has the advantage of not forcing you to learn an essentially dead programming language.

Off topic:

Ah, I know about that, I've got the SAGE 09 build of it, as well as all of the fan games that were downloadable from 2008 and this year =P (I have a habit of not deleting things I find important).

Although I wouldn't know where to begin on starting with this, I've been making my own fangame with two of my good buddies for quite awhile now. I'll look into this, if I even find out where to begin to look XP.

On-topic:

I still think it's kind of nice, but all in all, this needs a lot of bug fixing, and some of the levels made by other members there are...to put simply...bad.

I am my natural talent for level design will try to put together a stage I have always wanted too! Something the masses will love!

It will be finished by sunset tomorrow! Or Earlier! If I can do it for free! I hope...

EDIT: Alas, no free playing. I will just have to make my level designs... Elsewhere...

Edited by Rice Golem

I like the new art. But it does seem very random for this to have come up. I can't find any videos of the editor itself so can't judge if I want to pay to use it (my instincts say no)

I like the new art. But it does seem very random for this to have come up. I can't find any videos of the editor itself so can't judge if I want to pay to use it (my instincts say no)

There is a 5 day PlaySEGA VIP trial you can do, plus you get access to way more then just this Sonic editor, you also get access to over 40 perfectly emulated Genesis titles! They run really smooth and are wonderful, I love it.

fear my low resolution, my LCD monitor broke, also the artifacting is from the image format, not the game. XD

35aw201.jpg

Signed up for three months for now, then I'll see where it goes from there. If it's really that great then I'll sign up for a full year, since it works out so much cheaper.

Incidentally, has anyone managed to finish the Tacky Twerkbench stage? I just get lost. D=

Get ready to see your levels stolen by SEGA and used to make project needlemouse! :lol:

Well actually thats not a bad idea considering their track record!

Hahaha I jest. Hopefully this level editor is all part of the new thinking of SEGA, and hopefully them doing their homework as to what good Sonic used to be, and what they can do to make "project needlemouse" as much like that as possible.

Edited by The-Master-Board

I'm actually wondering if this is some kind of clever way for SEGA to scout new people to hire as game designers. ;P

Also, has anyone noticed that if you hover over the 'share this' button, the window appears behind the game screen?

EDIT: trying the level editor now, it seems... somewhat limited. =S Can you even rotate or flip objects? I can't seem to get a spring that faces right. Also there don't seem to be any yellow springs...

Edited by Mahzes

[quote name='Mahzes' date='14 September 2009 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1252925496'

Incidentally, has anyone managed to finish the Tacky Twerkbench stage? I just get lost. D=

Really happy to see this. Definately going to give it a go when i gets me some cash. I shall create vast murderous levels and all will be good in the world. hmmhmmhah.

An official Sonic level editor? Sold!

Yeah, curiosity - and my obsession with everything Sonic - got the better of me, so I've signed up for three months. Let's see how this goes...

Anyway, after playing with the level editor for a couple of hours, I've started to get an understanding of how it works. Certainly, there are things is can't do, namely flip objects. Yet despite that drawback, the sheer number of tiles and objects leaves room for a lot of creativity. So far, I've invested all my time into one 'small' sized level; it's playable but nothing I would want to show anyone yet. If nothing else, this Sonic level editor is a great time sink. In my opinion, this is all you can really ask for from a flash game site like PlaySEGA. But is it fun to use? So far at least, I'm going to say yes. I can easily see my self wasting a few more hours with this editor.

Oh and the free controller seems like a good idea on Sega's part. I don't know how this new one will compare to Sega's old controllers but at the very least it should beat playing Megadrive games with a keyboard!

Edited by Kintor

The free controller is just a recoloured Saturn pad with a slightly different D-Pad.

Working on my own stage now, and it is annoyingly limiting in some areas, but even so, it's still pretty awesome.

EDIT: Made my level. Annoyingly, one spring that worked fine during testing seemed to displace when published. You'll know which one it is.

I put a fair lot of thought into making alternate paths, though!

Random Test Zone

Edited by Mahzes

The most I can say is that I would love for something like this to be expanded on and put into a real Sonic game.

It could bring the newest title to a LittleBigPlanet level of awesome.

agreed with ya remz, people love to whine, anyways!

My level is done...

I hope anyone that plays it enjoys it... I worked really hard on it.

Multiple Paths

Tried to Iron out most bugs caused by the app for my level

1 secret passage!

http://www.playsega.com/games/?action=play&levelid=2908&gamegroupid=52

have fun! ^^

I tried to iron out most bugs, some are just impossible to get rid of!

Wow Shadi, this is the best level I've played! Im not joking. The 1st few I played were SHIT!

As a person who's very interested in the environments, design, layout, and immersion of video game worlds; I can tell you most of the people are lacking the creativity and imagination to create level designs that are fun and a blast to play. I wish I could make one here but alas I can't pay... But what I can say is with the tools available, never be afraid to think out of the box. Think about what is just fun and awesome, unique ideas that stand above and make the world feel organic but fun, flowing together with some really nice ideas.

It's easy to make a stage. It's difficult to go make a stage that's bug-free, fun, unique, and truly is the stage people will play and wow themselves at, at the creativity, flow, and awesome ideas implanted with design that really makes the player enjoy scaling and exploring.

Edited by Dusk Golem

The most I can say is that I would love for something like this to be expanded on and put into a real Sonic game.It could bring the newest title to a LittleBigPlanet level of awesome.

Sonic Level Editor In Game + LBP style sharing system = Instant Win! Should Needlemouse have anything like this I'll have a fangazm.

I might have to give this a spin.One thing I'll try to avoid is fast sections with badniks in the way for no reason...

As a person who's very interested in the environments, design, layout, and immersion of video game worlds; I can tell you most of the people are lacking the creativity and imagination to create level designs that are fun and a blast to play. I wish I could make one here but alas I can't pay... But what I can say is with the tools available, never be afraid to think out of the box. Think about what is just fun and awesome, unique ideas that stand above and make the world feel organic but fun, flowing together with some really nice ideas.

It's easy to make a stage. It's difficult to go make a stage that's bug-free, fun, unique, and truly is the stage people will play and wow themselves at, at the creativity, flow, and awesome ideas implanted with design that really makes the player enjoy scaling and exploring.

Its impossible to make a bug free stage with this stage editor, Sonic goes right through Solid objects sometimes for now reason at all, it's just the way it's programmed... I don't think flash is the best application to program Sonic on, but hey. It's still cool.

I am excited to reveal ShadiZone Act 2.

I am very happy with the final result of this level, it is very improved compared to ShadiZone Act 1.

I think a lot of people that play this level will enjoy it a lot!

http://www.playsega.com/games/?action=play&levelid=2986&gamegroupid=52

This is awesome! There's a plethora of different paths you can take, the level flow is very reasonable and easy to traverse without prior knowledge of the level, and I had a ton of fun going back and forth to get as many goodies as I can. You have a real knack for Sonic level design--fantastic work! :)

Do you plan on making any more levels? That'd be great. :D

Edited by Tweaker

• 1 month later...

Okay, I really want to get at least a 6-month subscription to PlaySEGA. Not only do you get to play tons of classic Genesis and other Sega games, there's also originals on there, and there's even things like a program that lets you make your own Sonic levels! I'd love to make a Phantasy Star inspired stage. And I'd also like to make one inspired by Bio-hazard Battle too. I wonder if you can also pick your own music... Anyone who wants to lend a helping hand when I buy a subscription feel free!

The level editor has the same music and mostly, the Green Hill objects with the exception of yellow springs. It's quite decent, but it has wonky physics while climbing up hills sometimes and the majority of user levels aren't proofed (that u platform tht clips through the bottom and some walls not being solid, really glarant if they're next to those spin tubes). I've been proofing a level I might publish or not, but Sonic still clips through solid walls if he goes fast enough, so fuuu. Still, quite decent for a quick level assembly without hacking. It's loads of fun.

I've shamelessly played all of the user levels and got through them, except one, which for whatever reason, doesn't load up past the title screen and screws the browser.

Edited by redmenace

Level editing is something I really enjoy. Games such as Far Cry that have a rather indepth and suprisingly simple level creator I can spend days making 1 map. The level editor on play SEGA is fun, I just wish it had some more variation. All the basic blocks are there, it's just that you find out that you're missing a vital block for something awesome. I attempted to make a bug free version (Took me a whole day and I still missed quite a big one) but still, I put this together in a few days. If you can give me some feed back it would be appriciated.

P.S. I just wished I named it better.

I'm going to sign up to PlaySEGA when I finish a project at work, which is currently keeping me away from home for long periods of time. I've tried the level creator before and it was quite good, though it's the Genesis emulator that interests me the most.

Bring on the wacky zone names!!!

cause_of_chaos