Awoo.

Spongebob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake (PS4, XBOX, Steam, Switch) || Sweet Victory

DaBigJ

Information from the Steam page:

Wish-granting Mermaid’s Tears in the hands of SpongeBob and Patrick… What could possibly go wrong?
Sure, the very fabric holding the very universe very together could come very undone, opening up portals into Wishworlds full of knights, cowboys, pirates, and prehistoric snails.
But that’s nothing everyone’s favorite sponge can’t handle - with the right cosmic costume! Everybody do the Cosmic Shake!

KEY FEATURES
Unlock classic and new platforming skills like the Fishhook Swing and Karate Kick

Don more than 30 F.U.N.tastic costumes like SnailBob and SpongeGar

Travel to 7 distinct Wishworlds like Wild West Jellyfish Fields and Halloween Rock Bottom

Experience all the buddy movie banter with SpongeBob’s permanent companion Balloon-Patrick

Meet all your favorite Bikini Bottomites from the series, voiced by their original actors

Enjoy the in-game soundtrack featuring 101 songs from the series, including Sweet Victory

STORY
SpongeBob and Patrick meet the mysterious fortune teller Kassandra who gives them a vial full of Mermaid’s Tears©. Legend claims they grant the wishes of those who are pure of heart…
Naturally, the two best buddies get overexcited and their flurry of wishes tears open the very fabric of space and time. All while releasing Cosmic Jelly© onto Bikini Bottom and opening portals to strange Wishworlds in the process.
Now it’s up to our heroes to rescue their friends who got lost in the Wishworlds and bring back Bikini Bottom’s most iconic buildings.
But Kassandra has her own devious plan…

I'm sure a lot of people, especially those who grew up in the 2000s, were anticipating a sequel to the cult classic 'Battle For Bikini Bottom' for many, many years, and judging by the trailer....this appears to be that very sequel in all but name.

More gameplay should be coming sometime soon, the game is confirmed to be at Gamescom after all, but for now this looks to be a very solid platformer staring our favorite sea sponge!

hiFtDXisnRYvereZsW6GP7tAe4A6Q_YkjgCIzS2wSBo.jpg?auto=webp&s=365751c267f75af113faf89a61a682b78070ccf8

Announced back in 2021, Spongebob the Cosmic Shake is being developed by Purple Lamp Studio, the same studio that made the wonderful Battle for Bikini Bottom remake back in 2020. Being developed for PS4, Xbox, Switch, and PC, the game already made a great showing with a wonderful trailer showcasing the Spongebob song - Sweet Victory:

Wish-granting Mermaid’s Tears in the hands of SpongeBob and Patrick… What could possibly go wrong?
Sure, the very fabric holding the very universe very together could come very undone, opening up portals into Wishworlds full of knights, cowboys, pirates, and prehistoric snails.
But that’s nothing everyone’s favorite sponge can’t handle - with the right cosmic costume! Everybody do the Cosmic Shake!

Most importantly, we finally got our first gameplay trailer, showcasing that the game will be aiming to be a true sequel to Battle for Bikini Bottom, and the Spongebob Movie game - taking the gameplay from BFBB and adding more mechanics and movement options.

Personally speaking, as someone who grew up with both BFBB and the Movie Game, I am absolutely beyond excited to have a true sequel to both games. Spongebob games were one of the tie-in game franchises I followed closely right up until around Plankton's Robotic Revenge, and the idea of being back in an era where Spongebob games act as a high standard for what licensed games can do is pretty exciting to me.

I can't help but love this trend of remaking old games and then doing a direct / spiritual sequel to them (fingers crossed for Spyro 4, Pac-man World 4, Klonoa 3...).

I never played BFBB back in the day, but I always heard it was pretty good. I actually picked the remake when it was free on PS+, but didn't got around to play it yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gameplay footage from GamesCom. Cosmic Shake joins the illustrious group of SpongeBob games to actually be able to get Clancy Brown as Krabs.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Christ. Nearly forgot about this game. Don't think we've heard much about it.

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Christ. Nearly forgot about this game. Don't think we've heard much about it.

Same honestly. The fact it's releasing so soon too is very sudden. It looks really fun at least 

2 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Same honestly. The fact it's releasing so soon too is very sudden. It looks really fun at least 

It does look fun. And it's in time for Sonic Prime to revitalize the multiverse dimensions craze in media too.