Awoo.

Sonic Relief 2010 - BACK ON 18TH JAN [LOCK/DELETE]

Doctor MK

sonicrelief2010help.png

Some of you may remember the Sonic Relief 2009 campaign that was run earlier this year, which was an unexpected success and raised over £100 for UK charity Comic Relief. Well, myself and Shadzter want to bring Sonic Relief back as it has obviously proven it can be a success - but before we do so, we want to hear some ideas from you.

What prompted me to make this topic was that we had planned a special Sonic Relief campaign for the upcoming Children In Need, however when we posted the idea to the SSMB staff it seemed to go unnoticed. I'm not suggesting that the SSMB staff didn't like the idea, but they didn't give us a green light so the idea had to be scrapped.

So, to ensure something like this doesn't happen again, we want some suggestions from you guys - what changes or improvements would you make to Sonic Relief?

I don't mean suggestions for activities we could do in a future Sonic Relief (though by all means share your ideas), I mean suggestions on how to change the Sonic Relief forumla itself in terms of donations and submissions, etc. After all, it'd be you guys who participate in the campaign, so we want to make it as workable as possible for you.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take them into account when planning a future campaign!

Edited by MK Skillz
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure we should do it for Children in Need.

I think we should do it for an equally nobel cause, but one which is a lot less likely to get any money. One such Charity that I'm trying to raise cash for right now is 'Wish Upon a Star.' They basically take really really sick Children to Lapland each year, so that they can see Santa, however this year they've not raised anywhere near enough, so they've been asking for donations, it's the first year in their history that they've not reached their target.

But as for ideas, to raise money, we've got the new market forum, couldn't we find some people to donate their toot and either have silent auctions or some kind of give us your money for this piece of toot and we'll give the money to charity?

Edited by Casanova

I think we should do it for an equally nobel cause, but one which is a lot less likely to get any money. One such Charity that I'm trying to raise cash for right now is 'Wish Upon a Star.' They basically take really really sick Children to Lapland each year, so that they can see Santa, however this year they've not raised anywhere near enough, so they've been asking for donations, it's the first year in their history that they've not reached their target.

But as for ideas, to raise money, we've got the new market forum, couldn't we find some people to donate their toot and either have silent auctions or some kind of give us your money for this piece of toot and we'll give the money to charity?

We won't be doing it for Children In Need, not this year at least.

I think the full-blown Sonic Relief campaigns will stick to the big UK charities like Comic/Sport Relief, however I suppose raising money for other charities, like the one you mentioned, in between campaigns is not a bad idea.

As for the market/auction idea - that doesn't sound bad at all! I think we'll definitely take that into consideration.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what Children in Need does, but I'm willing to bet that it does more than send sick children to see Santa Claus. Do they actually use some of that money to, I don't know, help the children get better? If not, than what the hell is the point of making the children happy for a week or so when they could have been receiving desperate medical attention instead?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't know what Children in Need does, but I'm willing to bet that it does more than send sick children to see Santa Claus.

They typically make 7 million each year with their drive.

Do they actually use some of that money to, I don't know, help the children get better? If not, than what the hell is the point of making the children happy for a week or so when they could have been receiving desperate medical attention instead?

Unfortunately for them, not all diseases are curable, hence why they try to make their last days enjoyable and give them a wonderful experience before they die. However I shall pass on your complaints to them the next time I see the rep.

I'd just like to bump this topic up a bit, it seems no one is interested in Sonic Relief at the moment. :huh:

Based on the success of the first Sonic Relief campaign I thought people would be more excited about the prospect of a second one... I guess I may be wrong.

Here's hoping we'll get some more suggestions soon, and remember we'd preferably like ideas on how to change Sonic Relief itself to make it more appealing and workable.

Any and all suggestions will be taken into account.

In the meantime, Twitter fanatics can follow @SonicReliefUK to not only receive all the latest Sonic Relief news, but also to help support us! We can't do it without you, guys!

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like to do something Sonic for a worthy charity. Something quite physical yet creative, but I'd need ideas.

Promotion through the means of sponsorship both online and out and about is an idea...

Interesing....

Maybe a Sonic related auction where the money raised goes to Comic Reilef,

Or someone could do a sponsored 24 hour Sonic game marathon?

Just a few suggestions...

Maybe a Sonic Hair Day?

Perhaps the more talented of us could create a sponsored Sonic fangame? It could be like the "game-in-a-day" challenge, only the game has to be Sonic-themed.

A sponsored self-torture session where one has to listen to Jason Griffith's laugh while watching the cutscenes from Sonic Unleashed?

Try to remember though, that whilst it's great coming up with ideas, ultimately the goal is to get money, so it would need to be something that people would do and would get a good sum of money for doing. The key is that if you want others to give you money, instead of asking people to do something and then giving your own cash, you need to actually offer something that people want.

Inspired by the "mufty days" we used to have at school, where we'd pay 50p or £1 to come into school on that day wearing whatever we liked instead of uniform, I thought maybe we could do a "Day In Blue" or something.

Basically the idea would be that anyone who wants to can pay £1 (or whatever they can afford) for having a photo of them dressed all in blue (or as much blue as they can) to be put up on a giant online "Day In Blue" photo collage.

Of course, the only real obstacle here is that a lot of people would need to take part in order to make it worthwhile ^^;

Despite the recent publicity for this announcement of Sonic Relief 2010, responses to this topic have been a bit slow so I'm going to try and make things a bit more specific as to what information would help myself and Shadzter the most:

- Would you like the campaign to be run similarly to last year (with certain members donating specific amounts), or would you like it to be more open so that anyone can enter?

- How would you want submissions/donations to be made?

- What incentives (if any) would you like for making submissions/donations?

That's all I can think of at the moment, but basically anything more to do with the actual running of the campaign itself as opposed to ideas for what to do would be most appreciated.

After all, Sonic Relief 2009 was only quite quickly put together this year - next year we want it to be much more efficient and overall effective system.

Oh, and thanks for all your support so far guys! 'Tis appreciated! :D

Inspired by the "mufty days" we used to have at school, where we'd pay 50p or £1 to come into school on that day wearing whatever we liked instead of uniform, I thought maybe we could do a "Day In Blue" or something.

Basically the idea would be that anyone who wants to can pay £1 (or whatever they can afford) for having a photo of them dressed all in blue (or as much blue as they can) to be put up on a giant online "Day In Blue" photo collage.

Of course, the only real obstacle here is that a lot of people would need to take part in order to make it worthwhile ^^;

I like the sound of that.

"Chelsea, why aren't you wearing school uniform?!"

"It's for charity. :D"

I've always wanted to wear all blue...

BLUE HAIR SPRAY PLZ K THX

Some of us were joking about this the other night... but I thought I'd post it here to see what kind of reaction it would be...

We could sell... an SSMB Naked Calendar.

We totally weren't joking >_>

I mean, I was when I first suggested it XD But after the reaction it got? Dude. All that's left is the planning.

We totally weren't joking >_>

I mean, I was when I first suggested it XD But after the reaction it got? Dude. All that's left is the planning.

lol well... good... because I thought I was the only one being serious when it got the reaction it did!

If, and this is a big if... people really really wanted to do it, in terms of taking the snap shots, we could either do it alone and then compile it, or arrange some kind of meet up (with someone who isn't going to then sell them to various websites or magazines lol)...

Then for sale... urm... either via a website or at Summer of Sonic 2010! Or hell we could even take the photos there! So long as Dread and AAUK don't find out we could do whatever we want!

Edited by Casanova

It'd probably make more money being sold here, because the people who'd wanna own one are probably the actual forum members who know who the people in the calendar actually are.

The only way it'd garner enough outside attention would be if it was (at least semi-) professionally shot with a theme, like a Sonic theme. But that'd cost more than what we'd get for it, most likely.

I think a tongue-in-cheek forum effort would be the best bet. It could be compiled and then printed to order (i.e. only the number that's requested) to minimise loss.

Some photography students and amateurs with cameras are willing to shoot for next to no money, since it helps them build a portfolio. I know several people that work like that, and you can get close to professional quality. ;)

Just to say that Sonic Relief 2010 will likely run around March time (the same as this year), so waiting until Summer of Sonic to get stuff done might not be a wise idea. :P

Also, if you couldn't mind answering these questions it would be much appreciated:

- Would you like the campaign to be run similarly to last year (with certain members donating specific amounts), or would you like it to be more open so that anyone can enter?

- How would you want submissions/donations to be made?

- What incentives (if any) would you like for making submissions/donations?

If the naked calendar thing goes ahead, I Call July =D

I'm all up for that anyway, far than just...all up.....Bad choice of words XD

But yeah..I Think it'd be brilliant :D

and, its not like i don't get naked enough at the moment anways ;D

Guys, I've been having a chat with Shadzter about the whole naked calendar thing and, while we don't condemn the idea, we reckon you'd have to make and sell it independently.

That or you'd have to speak to Dread about selling it here on SSMB - we may be running the campaign but he controls what content he allows on his forum.

However, inspired by your idea, we may make an "official" Sonic Relief calendar featuring our twelve favourite art submissions during the Sonic Relief 2010 campaign (perhaps voted for by fellow SSMB members). The calendars would be sold after the campaign to raise extra cash.

Keep your suggestions coming, hopefully we'll have some official announcements regarding the way the campaign itself will work soon. :)

Edited by MK Skillz

Aww no calender ): I totally wanted in !!

Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't say you can't do the calendar. By all means go for it, I have no objections - the proceeds would all be going to a good cause, after all!

I was merely pointing out that if you plan on selling it here on SSMB you may want to ask for Dread's permission first.

In other news, we should be revealing some of the new features of the Sonic Relief 2010 campaign soon! Stay tuned! :D

But you said you don't condone it, which means you condemn it, no? ;_;

Come on guys, we MUST do the calendar. It'd be perfect!!