Awoo.

[SPOILERS AHEAD] 'Sonic the Hedgehog 3' Synopsis Reportedly Revealed in Industry Publication Production Weekly

DaBigJ

On 8/16/2022 at 2:09 PM, Kuzu said:

It should be noted that the second movie's plot leaked about over half a year before it came out.

That said, they haven't even started filming yet so take it with a grain of salt. This is more like a skeleton.

Yeah, but there is a difference between half/over half a year before release and more than two years. 

This is unusually early for a leak like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:46 PM, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Yeah, but there is a difference between half/over half a year before release and more than two years. 

This is unusually early for leak like that.

It's likely a leak meant for marketing and toy manufacturing, hence, why it skimpy on details outside of listing a bunch of toys names. 

On 8/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, VO.SUPER said:

Overstuffed. I hope this is just an early draft, because this synopsis sounds overstuffed to the brim.

Absolutely. It doesn't seem like there will be any room for my boy Tails to shine if this leak turns out to be true. I hope he doesn't get shafted like his SatAM counterpart (Or reduced to a coward like his game counterpart).

On 8/16/2022 at 4:11 PM, Kuzu said:

Having Metal Sonic just be a last minute final boss is probably the only way to use him without stepping on anyone else's toes.

The worst part is, if this turn out to be true, we might already know how the third act will play (and I'm sure I wouldn't mind Sonic and Shadow vs. Metal... In space! Then again, either LEGO or McDonald's will most certainly leak everything again as usual lol

I'm not big on the idea of adapting SA2 tbh, these movie only borrow elements from the games to tell their own story. We can have Project Shadow and Gerald without Rouge or the Biolizard for all I care.

• Absolutely 1

I think we’re far enough down the thread now for people to know this is a spoiler thread so not doing spoiler tags.

This seems unbelievably early… and much too bloated and messy. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, plus newcomers Shadow, Amy, Big AND Metal Sonic on the CG side.

And on the human side: Eggman, Tom, Maddie, Stone, GUN and its various members, and probably Wade/Rachel/JoJo, plus Gerald and possibly Maria although she isn’t specifically mentioned.

Nobody is gonna have much room for character arcs or developments (or even screentime) if this comes to be true. And since we already have existing characters who haven’t completed their character arcs yet, this is gonna be too much. 

So no, I’m not really thinking this is anything final.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: Rolan

On 8/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, SolidSurgeTT said:

Oh gosh, I hope that isn’t legit. They are stuffing way too many characters into this if that’s true. I was hoping for a more focused narrative that would give Sonic and Tails more intimate character interactions without having to make room for a bunch of other new characters (I already felt Knuckles kind of crowded Tails out of Sonic 2).

Yeah. Plus having Shadow and Metal both be the villains would be too much to stuff into one movie.

"Various characters - Amy and Big"

Why.

Various characters means a decent amount of characters, not just two. If only those two, then better say Amy and Big directly, not Various characters.

Anyway, as other people said, I think it would be better to just not add anyone and focus on the existing cast. Tails became useless in the second movie because it focused on Sonic, Knuckles, Eggman and the humans, so Tails really was out of place and only his gadgets were kinda relevant to the plot, for a limited time... the character himself was just there passive and doing almost nothing.

IMO even Amy and Rouge should stay away from the movie canon unless they really have a strong and working idea to make them work in the story without being shoehorned for the sake of adapting SA2. I mean, in the Knuckles spin-off serial they can do wathever they want, it's episodic and they can put focus on a few characters each episode, but the movie just no.

As for Shadow and Metal Sonic in the same movie, that's kinda bad too. Either one or the other, both make no sense, they are essentially the same thing, an evil and edgy version of the protagonist, and Knuckles already lowkey was the same thing too, so it just gets repetitive and boring at some point.

tl:dr

I hope it's fake because it sounds like it would suck hard.

• Absolutely 1

Honestly speaking, I already felt like Movie 2 introduced a few things too early (like Super Sonic) so I'm with everyone else in hoping this is early....

Though I'm not gonna be holding my breath. If they were able to tease Shadow in the end, then they clearly already have a story ready...especially since next year is gonna be the filming and cgi production year, assuming they aren't gonna begin production sometime later this year.

Plus why would they seemingly give out a rough draft without specifying things are subject to change?

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: Prestto

On 8/16/2022 at 12:30 PM, Bonkers said:

What are mini-Emeralds? lol

Either they are refering to the Chaos Emeralds, or another type of emeralds.

The second movie mostly worked because the games they elements they adapted (Sonic 2 and Sonic 3) were pretty loose on story elements, so you could essentially any type of story so as long as you kept those elements.

You can't really do that with Shadow since he had a very specific story to tell; good luck trying to get the audience to care about any of these newly introduced characters if they have to get shortchanged for Shadow's story, and the existing development for everyone else.

All of that in a two hour time frame.

• Thumbs Up 3

I still say the Wachowskis are going to have to figure out where to put all these animals.  They can’t possibly keep them all! :P

Seriously though, not sure why they’re bringing in Big over like, Rouge or Cream.  Big doesn’t really do anything except fish and be purple. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: Movienerd84

It'll be interesting to see who is cast as Gerald Robotnik. I say Danny Devito.

I think that this is just a rough draft of what they are doing with the third movie since it's still too early for an official synopsis of the movie, unless they already have a script in hand which would be impossible to do at this point.  I don't know if Big or Metal would even show up in the movie since Shadow is already in the film.  Unless  Big, Amy and Metal are actually showing up in the Knuckles TV series, which has been stated to be the bridge between the second movie and the third movie, I don't see how any of this could work without overstuffing the movie. I do hope that this is just a draft of what they are working with rather than the actual movie, if this turns out to be true.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow and Metal Sonic being in the same movie makes sense to me, because Shadow is by far the next most popular character to introduce so he HAD to be in the third movie, but you also need to give yourself some establishment of Amy's character and sequel potential. Metal Sonic accomplishes both of those things, allowing Amy to fall in love with Sonic by being a damsel in distress and giving Metal potential for a Sonic Heroes-type movie 4. So doing both at the same time is in a way forced if you want sequel bait, Shadow, and Amy with an established personality all together.

Basically they are going Team Sonic Racing once again and put Team Rose in the movie, except Cream does not exist, because, I don't know, she sells too little merchandise maybe.

Makes no sense to me anyway... how Amy and Big would help Sonic against Shadow and Metal Sonic? If it was Silver and Blaze maybe. I fear they will do a Sonic Forces like moment where at the end of the movie there's this scene of an horde of badniks and many random characters (not just Big and Amy) appear to make the furry army and keep the badniks busy, while the main heroes do the important things. So a big fanservice moment which has absolutely zero relevance in the main story.

Spoiler for big picture.

Spoiler

basically this:

bfac251e08e052de9a8c21f48205382600df4f9b

if this is the case, it would REALLY suck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: Godot

They should reconsider including Big. Because we all know they'll just use him for overdone jokes.

Metal Sonic being the possible final villain makes sense though. The whole Biolizard and Eclipse Cannon stuff might be too much info for kids to take.

But if they flip things up so that Metal evolves throughout the film so that in the end Shadow and Sonic have to 'super-up' and fight in space, then I'd be all up for that.

On 8/16/2022 at 9:48 PM, Iko said:

Basically they are going Team Sonic Racing once again and put Team Rose in the movie, except Cream does not exist, because, I don't know, she sells too little merchandise maybe.

Makes no sense to me anyway... how Amy and Big would help Sonic against Shadow and Metal Sonic? If it was Silver and Blaze maybe. I fear they will do a Sonic Forces like moment where at the end of the movie there's this scene of an horde of badniks and many random characters (not just Big and Amy) appear to make the furry army and keep the badniks busy, while the main heroes do the important things. So a big fanservice moment which has absolutely zero relevance in the main story.

Spoiler for big picture.

Reveal hidden contents

basically this:

bfac251e08e052de9a8c21f48205382600df4f9b

if this is the case, it would REALLY suck.

Well to give the blunt answer, yes; Amy is the closest thing the franchise has to a main heroine, and Big is among the largest source of memes in the franchise.

I don't particularly like those reasons, but I can see how a creative could reach that conclusion.

Cream...I honestly cannot think of a niche she feels that isn't already occupied by someone else; kid sidekick? That's Tails. Damsel in distress? You can just use Amy. She doesn't really have big story hooks associated with her like Knuckles or Shadow, nor is she as outlandish as someone like Big even for the ironic appeal. 

So all that's left is...she's polite I guess? I dunno. 

I still think having all of these characters is bad, but I am honestly stumped on what Cream could contribute when all of the franchise's major players are already present.

7 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Well to give the blunt answer, yes; Amy is the closest thing the franchise has to a main heroine, and Big is among the largest source of memes in the franchise.

I don't particularly like those reasons, but I can see how a creative could reach that conclusion.

Cream...I honestly cannot think of a niche she feels that isn't already occupied by someone else; kid sidekick? That's Tails. Damsel in distress? You can just use Amy. She doesn't really have big story hooks associated with her like Knuckles or Shadow, nor is she as outlandish as someone like Big even for the ironic appeal. 

So all that's left is...she's polite I guess? I dunno. 

I still think having all of these characters is bad, but I am honestly stumped on what Cream could contribute when all of the franchise's major players are already present.

In the context of the movie, Big and Amy aren't much better in that regard. Big can at least make a gag, being a living meme... I don't know, like the Sanic drawing in the first movie... aside of that, I can't see what else he can do in a scenario like the one they're preparing for the third movie. The synopsis clearly says that he, along with Amy, is there to help Sonic, and while Big is theorically strong, he's not the fighter type, and especially being strong is Knuckles' thing, especially in the movies... Big in the movie would just be redundant.

Given that the third movie is going to adapt the story of Sonic Adventure 2, Amy could play a couple of roles such as the prison scene and the talk with Shadow, but really, you don't need to introduce a new character for that. It's the reason for why they replaced her with Chris in that scene of Sonic X... that's one of the few moments when you can give some relevance to the human characters, who otherwise can't do much in a battle between superpowered animals and a planet-destroying cannons set in open space. Introducing Amy just for that couple of scenes would be a bad idea, unless she's already introduced before and the audience already knows her, which is not the case yet in the movie universe (again, unless they introduce her in the Knuckles spin-off). If they adapted the Sonic CD or Adventurre 1 arcs, maybe, but as it is, I see her introduction as overcomplicating things for the sake of it.

I think the same of Rouge, a government spy who works for GUN... that's a role which screams "human" so much, and in a movie that's supposed to be a live action and give equal relevance to the animals and human cast, it's only normal to give Rouge's role to a human character.

Regarding Cream, I'm not saying that they should introduce her in the movies, I'm just annoyed that recently they are excluding her from stuff even when would make sense for her to appear (Team Sonic Racing). If this synopsis is true, it would be the second time in a relatively short time that they used 2/3 of Team Rose together, and excluded just Cream. This is not strictly related to the movies, it's more of a general thing of the franchise.

On 8/16/2022 at 10:50 PM, Iko said:

In the context of the movie, Big and Amy aren't much better in that regard. Big can at least make a gag, being a living meme... I don't know, like the Sanic drawing in the first movie... aside of that, I can't see what else he can do in a scenario like the one they're preparing for the third movie. The synopsis clearly says that he, along with Amy, is there to help Sonic, and while Big is theorically strong, he's not the fighter type, and especially being strong is Knuckles' thing, especially in the movies... Big in the movie would just be redundant.

Given that the third movie is going to adapt the story of Sonic Adventure 2, Amy could play a couple of roles such as the prison scene and the talk with Shadow, but really, you don't need to introduce a new character for that. It's the reason for why they replaced her with Chris in that scene of Sonic X... that's one of the few moments when you can give some relevance to the human characters, who otherwise can't do much in a battle between superpowered animals and a planet-destroying cannons set in open space. Introducing Amy just for that couple of scenes would be a bad idea, unless she's already introduced before and the audience already knows her, which is not the case yet in the movie universe (again, unless they introduce her in the Knuckles spin-off). If they adapted the Sonic CD or Adventurre 1 arcs, maybe, but as it is, I see her introduction as overcomplicating things for the sake of it.

I think the same of Rouge, a government spy who works for GUN... that's a role which screams "human" so much, and in a movie that's supposed to be a live action and give equal relevance to the animals and human cast, it's only normal to give Rouge's role to a human character.

Regarding Cream, I'm not saying that they should introduce her in the movies, I'm just annoyed that recently they are excluding her from stuff even when would make sense for her to appear (Team Sonic Racing). If this synopsis is true, it would be the second time in a relatively short time that they used 2/3 of Team Rose together, and excluded just Cream. This is not strictly related to the movies, it's more of a general thing of the franchise.

These movies never really cared about cohesiveness much given they introduced Tails and Knuckles in the same film and made an immediate beeline to Shadow. They know what sells.

Big is a meme, that's his contribution. You can just do stupid comic relief to appeal to kids.  And Amy gives the generic love interest role.  Not like these films really try to be original with their concepts.

I don't want them to do it; but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. 

I seen lot of folks around various places online flipping their lids thinking that including both Shadow & Metal-Sonic would be going overboard, but I really don't agree! Not only is Shadow not a permanent enemy or final villain... and I can't see that changing here, but he is also somebody who will team up with Sonic to save the world when needed, similar to how Knuckles started out as a enemy. Furthermore they will need Robotnik to do something actually meaningful in the plot besides simply teaming up with Shadow, along with that I feel they would want to make it so that Eggman had learn from his previous mistake and this time make sure to have a backup partner [AKA MetalSonic] in case Shadow betrays him like Knuckles did. Moreover MetalSonic would be a perfect replacement final fight for the Biolizard... as nobody really cares about that thing! which would also add just a touch of Sonic Heroes spice tossed in the mix for the plot of this film without over doing it.

Now as for the rest of the cast... Including Amy seems possible despite not adding much to the plot... but also Big the cat? would be kinda forced, and I find it unlikely as he wouldn't add enough to the plot outside of being a friend to Amy. Plus I find it hard to believe they would skip over Rouge as she would probably me more important to the SA2 themed plot compared to Amy & Big... And before anybody asks, she wouldn't be inappropriate for these family crowd films, considering she is still to this day used in the other sides of this kid friendly series.

Considering the only details this synopsis revealed were the additional characters, if the official sources are saying it's incorrect with what's currently planned, then that means they probably won't be in the movie. Not all of them at least.

In which case

image.png.f045d91c6f0672664f32acc491437eb5.png

• Thumbs Up 2