Awoo.

Embarassing/awkward Sonic memories

batson

Just for fun!

Reveal any memory you might have that in any way connect to the Sonic franchise and that is embarassing or awkward, whether a little or a lot.

I remember two instances between me and my younger brother that occured (if i remember correctly) in close proximity. I was around 14 at the time so my brother must have been around 11-12. The first one was when I accidentally called him "Tails". It doesn't sound too bad, but I could tell that my brother got kinda butthurt, which I honestly think is because he understood it as me subconsciously considering him my sidekick. Which, yeah, that was probably indeed the case.:P

The second instance was when I was playing as Rouge in SA2 and I was playing that one level where you can make her stand on platforms that move up and down which causes her breasts to jiggle up and down repeatadly. I couldn't resist letting Rouge just stand still on those platforms for a few seconds whenever I had reason to land on one just so that I could see the sight, even if just for a moment. My brother was watching me play and I guess I was naively asuming that he wouldn't notice that just so happened to stand still for a moment precisely whenever I was on those platforms (again, it was only a few seconds at a time! I thought I was being inconspicous!). But alas, he did apparently notice, and in a kind of disapointed voice just flat out said "You just wanna see her breasts". I denied it of course but it was hella awkward. I wanna go back in time and kick 14 year old me for not having the brain to just make sure to only gawk at bat boobs when playing the game alone. God, the puberty years suck.

Now I will finnish of my own recollections of embarassing Sonic memories with one memory that I thought would be awkward but which ended up being a nice memory. Once I was maybe 21-22 or so and perhapes not as comfortable expressing my nerdy interests to everyone at anytime as I am today at (nowadays I freely mention that I play Sonic games to whoever I happen to be talking to if the subject of interests comes up) my dad caught me listening to some Crush 40 music on loud volume (I thought I was home alone). I believe the exact song was "What I'm Made of". Me and my dad were and still are very close, but at the time I sorta didn't want him to fully know just how childish my interests still were. I guess I went through a phase where I kinda sorta pretended to have grown out of things like cartoon hedgehogs. Well anyway, dad walked up to me and asked me where the music came from and I had to be honest and say that it came from a Sonic the Hedgehog game. The funny thing is that dad asked simply because, as he told me, he thought it was really good rock music and he wanted to know where it was from and who played it so that he could listen to it himself. I gave him the name Crush 40, and would you believe it, the next day I heard "Live and Learn" coming from the living room computer. That felt unreal to me at the time. In retrospective I realize that it's not that strange though. Dad was for a while a professional rock musician in the 1970's, so why wouldn't he like Crush 40? Also fun fact; I think I might have planted the seed to something bigger all those years ago when I accidentally introduced dad to Crush 40, because nowadays he regularly listens to rock from both Japan and Korea, and even to pop from those countries, despite being a general pop music hater for most of his life (he thinks ABBA is absolute poison). About two years ago he regularly sent me and my siblings links to a K-Pop girl band that he thought were absolute masters of music.

Ok time to humiliate myself so badly...

So in Middle AND High school I was really obsessed with Sonic because of Sonic Adventure 2 so I kind of based my life around him. I won't go too into detail BUT I remember my most embarrassing moment so I'll share that. I've actually ran as Sonic a few times. In public. I feel so embarrassed by it. One time I was returning books at the library and it was just an in and done deal but I ran in and out as Sonic. The embarrassing part is that I ran past a car without even looking, almost getting hit. Yeah running as Sonic made me go fast but... I feel more embarrassed that I almost got hit while running as Sonic. I was fine don't worry but I'm more likely to die from the embarrassed than getting hit by a car... I remember my mom yelled at me too but yeah I told myself I'd never do that again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to ask, how old were you during the incident with the car? Cause you said you did your Sonic runs both in middle and high school, and I gotta say, if it was in high school that it happened... then that's just on another level. 😅

Sometime in the early 90’s, I was a pre-teen and really reeeeaaaally into Sonic 2 I wrote what was basically a 5-8 page fanfic about Sonic and Tails against Robotnik and his badniks and stuffed it under my bed pillow. None of my friends were into Sonic at all and it was way before the internet was mainstream so I had no real outlet for that sort of stuff. I can’t even remember the details of the story but it was basically full of the typical self-indulgent cringeworthy nonsense of a young mega-fan letting out all her secret fandom gushing in the absolute privacy of pencil and paper without ever intending to share it with anyone else… and to my horror I checked for it the next day and it had vanished. Yup. My older sister had gone through my room while I was out and gotten hold of it. Godknows where the actual physical pieces of paper went, I never saw them again, and I never confronted my sister about taking it (because doing so would be an admission of its existance in the first place) but she would occasionally make odd references to parts of over the following year or two while her older friends smirked and giggled at me so I think I knew exactly where it went. 

(Also, I have never attempted fanfics since then out of sheer shame/embarassment!)

• Chuckle 1

I fear I already read a similar topic to this, but regardless...

I think probably the most embarrassing memory is when I was probably 9/10 years old, and I was using the PC early in the morning, like 6 to 7 a.m. I remember one of the things I did on the PC that day was listen to Can You Feel the Sunshine, can't recall with or without headphones. Regardless, I think moments after, I went downstairs singing the song, probably without even realizing, and my mom and brother were on the down floor and asked why I was singing, and I got a bit embarrassed for not even noticing and kept denying it.

Speaking of puberty years, I also have some weird memories. I, unfortunately, have to admit I remember playing Sonic Heroes with Team Rose and kept flying with Cream just so I could see Amy and Cream panties. This gets really weird if we stop to think Cream is just 6.

I honestly can't really think of many other memories which are embarrassing enough to the point I think if I was that age again, I wouldn't do again. Of course, this includes being annoying to friends and saying Sonic is the best thing in the world or assuming everyone knows everything about Sonic.

Two more vivid example, I think it was my mom's birthday or mom's day, and for some reason I thought that showcasing her all those Sonic Retro Hacks intro would be the best gift present ever, so I did that.

I also remember I used to create "fake" Sonic games by simply playing the classic trilogy in different orders, using save states, I remember I did a "Sonic Generations 2" which went as far as using Original Sonic 1 Green Hill as the Classic Sonic level and Green Grove as the 3D Modern level. However, that was far from the most embarrassing part. I remember trying to convince my brother that the game was real and that I was "working with SEGA on it" by saying SEGA employees would come every day at home exactly meanwhile he was on school. I also shamefully have to admit I remember trying to trick him saying I did a Shadow in Sonic 1 hack by even saying that the nick the person used on Sonic Retro was me.

But a moment it could have been awkward, but I actually have happy memories of it: Once on the P.E. the teacher gave the students to put music on the speaker and I went there and pretty much had a playlist full of Sonic songs. It should have been about 1 hour of music. I actually would die to know exactly which was the "tracklist" but I recall Open Your Heart, and It Doesn't Matter (SA2) were two of the songs. The "cool" part is that I recall the last class of the day had pretty the entire class talking how cool the music was and how Sonic never won the best video game music award.

It's not really Sonic related, but my I remember writing my first fanfic. There was a forum with fanfic topic, I seen people drop their stories ans get some replies and I though "eh, I can do better".

I posted like 5 chapters and got zero replies. I started making passive-regressive whines about it. So I finally got a single reply. A wall of facepalm images, followed by meticulous points of everything wrong with my story.

It kinda broke me, I never finished dang story. Which obviously wasn't good, but I still stand it was decent comparing to other fics I seen on that forum.

nothing to bad really, I tried recreating the karate chop Shadow does to Eggman in the Shadow the hedgehog game to my sister when I was 8

You know how Sonic does that "ninja run" that is common in anime? I first saw that in Sonic Adventure and thought it was cool shit that would make more more aerodynamic or something.  I was in middle school at this time, mind you.

So I ran like that once to get to class.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I thought Sonic was real, and mentioned it in an argument to my mom, but you know, referring to him as a blue hedgehog. My grandmother was there, confused, and mom said "she's talking about Sonic".

I was 5. Or 6. Likely 6. I had probably just grown out of acting like Pikachu.

My sister walked in on me watching this cutscene on Generations launch day:

The dialogue in Generations pains me at the best of times. I didn't need someone else to witness it too. 

• Chuckle 1

It isn't that bad but when I was in middle school, I began to like Sonic and was listening to Crush 40, so I kept it secret from my family. I thought that when they found out, I would get in massive trouble. Eventually they all found out.

11 hours ago, Nazo the Hedgehog said:

It isn't that bad but when I was in middle school, I began to like Sonic and was listening to Crush 40, so I kept it secret from my family. I thought that when they found out, I would get in massive trouble. Eventually they all found out.

Why would you get into trouble for listening to Crush 40/Sonic music? 

8 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Why would you get into trouble for listening to Crush 40/Sonic music? 

My parents are pretty strict when it comes to music and probably will question me where did I hear it at and stuff. It kinda gets me nervous in how they will react. (But of course I don't show it, or else it'll be suspicious)