Awoo.

SEGA Planning Film Adaptations of Space Channel 5 and Comix Zone. More to come?

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

It's as the topic states, SEGA are planning to have film adaptations be made of more of their IPs, likely done in response to past success with such a maneuver.

It could be interesting to see if they even blossom and warm up to having their own cinematic universe at this rate.

• Thumbs Up 2

Super Monkey Ball live action cgi hybrid movie with Chris Pratt as AiAi when?

Jokes aside, this is pretty intriguing. I wasn't expecting them to make movies based on two obscure and, in Cosmix Zone's case, abandoned series, but I'm not complaining. Maybe this is a start to a whole universe?

7 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Maybe this is a start to a whole universe?

I could see that being a thing, especially if Robotnik ceases to be a thing in the Sonic movies with Jim Carrey potentially leaving. An expanded universe could lead to other threats that help stuff continue.

Now where's my NiGHTS movie?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is insane. I feel like I’m having a fever dream. Are they going to do ChuChu Rocket! next?

The weird thing is, I can totally see how both of these could work in movie form. I just wonder if there’ll be an audience for it at all. You might get away with Comix Zone if you make it gritty enough…

23 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

Comix Zone? Who in the under 25 range gonna watch that? At least make a new game. 

Even if people don't remember Comix Zone (and there are plenty that do thanks to multiple means of playing the game) the concept still makes for an entertaining bout of media.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am…honestly not even surprised anymore.

People are actually starting to learn about games more that what was passed over a decade or so ago now has a new lease on life somewhere else. 

This is awesome! I'm glad that SEGA is trying to focus on their other franchises at this point by giving them movies.  But I thought that they would have given movies to Persona, Yakuza and even NIGHTS first since those franchises are the most well-known aside from Sonic the Hedgehog.

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

This is awesome! I'm glad that SEGA is trying to focus on their other franchises at this point by giving them movies.  But I thought that they would have given movies to Persona, Yakuza and even NIGHTS first since those franchises are the most well-known aside from Sonic the Hedgehog.

Yakuza got a movie in Japan. It was okay.

As usual, Majima was the best thing about the movie.

Persona also got movies. 4 of them, adapting Persona 3.

• Thumbs Up 2

I always assumed with the Sega logo sequence in both Sonic Movies (the one that shows multiple screens with different gameplays) that Sega were gonna expand themselves into the movie space beyond Sonic. I'm sure there was mention of a Shinobi movie a year or two back? 

Kinda surprised how many people don’t know who Ulala is. Tho I guess their only relevancy outside their games, was superstars tennis and the ASR games, oh and that VR game from a few years back no one cared for.

I’m certainly interested in this, but ngl I’ve gotten tired of expanded universes, so wouldn’t mind if these films are all individual self contained stories. 

• Thumbs Up 2

More details about the movies:

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/08/sega-and-picturestart-announce-space-channel-5-and-comix-zone-film-adaptations

Space Channel 5, a comedy / dance adaptation of the cult-classic 1999 dance game, will tell the story of a hapless fast-food worker who is recruited by a freedom reporter from the future to save the world from aliens using the one thing that unites all people on the planet: our love of silly viral dances.

Space Channel 5 is being written by Barry Battles and Nir Paniry. Battles wrote and directed The Baytown Outlaws, a crime comedy starring Billy Bob Thornton and Eva Longoria. Paniry wrote and directed Extracted, a sci-fi drama nominated for the Emerging Visions award at South by Southwest. Battles is represented by Pete Stein at CAA and Jeff Portnoy at Bellevue Productions; Paniry is also represented by Portnoy.

Comix Zone, an adaptation of the cult console game that has been so influential to so many over the years, follows a jaded comic book creator and a young, queer writer of color who, when sucked into the final issue of his popular series, must put aside their differences to stop a dangerous supervillain from sowing complete destruction — and in the process wittily explore the ever-evolving power of storytelling itself.

Comix Zone will be written by Mae Catt, whose credits include writing on the Emmy®-winning HBO Max original, Young Justice, and the How to Train Your Dragon spinoff series, Dragons: The Nine Realms. Catt is represented by Matthew Dartnell at Writ Large.

Royce Reeves-Darby and Erik Feig are overseeing both projects for Picturestart and will produce alongside Samie Kim Falvey, also of Picturestart. From SEGA, Vice President Co-COO Shuji Utsumi is overseeing both projects and Toru Nakahara, producer for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie franchise as well as executive producer for Sonic Prime TV series, will produce the two adaptations. In addition, Takumi Yoshinaga (SEGA video game director) will join the team for Space Channel 5 and Kagasei Shimomura (SEGA video game producer) will join the team for Comix Zone.

reasonsimbroke-larry-david.gif

Ehhhhhhhhh...I don't like what I'm reading here, tbh. Seeing people from Sega overseeing both projects is nice, but, as a fan of both games, I'm not feeling those plots.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:24 PM, VO.SUPER said:

Comix Zone? Who in the under 25 range gonna watch that? At least make a new game. 

Me! 19-Year-Old. Probably was my favorite game on SEGA Genesis Collection other than the Sonic franchise, and possibly Bonanza Bros. and Alex Kidd.

But I'm beyond impressed they aren't going for a Phantasy Star adaption as a second step.

12 hours ago, Cayenne said:

Comix Zone, an adaptation of the cult console game that has been so influential to so many over the years, follows a jaded comic book creator and a young, queer writer of color who, when sucked into the final issue of his popular series, must put aside their differences to stop a dangerous supervillain from sowing complete destruction — and in the process wittily explore the ever-evolving power of storytelling itself.

The F?

No offense, but I mean...

hqdefault.jpg

How?

8 minutes ago, Solister said:

No offense, but I mean...

hqdefault.jpg

How?

Notice the first part of that sentence says "Jaded comic book creator." Sketch will probably play the part of the jaded old creator while the queer person of color will be a new addition.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the 90s, when comics were going through their darkest age, I'd say having Sketch as an underground creator trying to make it big made sense. But for the modern age, it makes more sense for Sketch to be jaded older creator especially considering the more mainstream place comics are in. 

Very nice.

You know, I think they should make a movie about Rent a Hero. I just think it would be fun to see how that would turn out and all.

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

Notice the first part of that sentence says "Jaded comic book creator." Sketch will probably play the part of the jaded old creator while the queer person of color will be a new addition.

Oh.

I still think the phrase is open for a double interpretation. I reread and can see your interpretation now, but I don't think the source was very clear, and on another reread I still can see my interpretation.

Regardless, English is not my first language. I also don't think there's much worth to discuss here.

• 2 weeks later...

Comix Zone should make for a great adaptation. But what I really want to see is how they can pull off an Ecco the dolphin movie.