Awoo.

SONIC FRONTIERS Story Trailer

Wraith
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New Story Details, Locations, and Release Date in Sonic Frontiers' Gamescom Trailer at some point.

For a story trailer this didn't really tell us much. There's not-koroks, a creepy glitch girl, Sonic's a bit glitchy, Amy's captured...most of which we already knew, none of which is given enough context to care about.

New island looks just as barren as the first (well, more, but it is a desert, so fair enough), cyberspace is the same dogshit as usual.

It's just kind of...nothing.

• Thumbs Up 6

Not exactly blown away but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and keep my eye on it. I just hope it doesn't take 2 hours to beat the story.

This game is so weird like somethings look really good and other things still looks really bad lol.

Combat also still looks Jank as fuck tho.

6 minutes ago, azoo said:

Tried to withhold judgement til more gameplay, story/characters and more environments were introduced, so I did. 

Ugly, ugly ugly game. LOL So damn ugly. Smeared in motion blur, dull colors everywhere, reused assets, aesthetics somewhere between Black Knight and some anime open world game (which the latter it's definitely trying to be). Bad. Game looking clunky as ever to play does it no favors. Just keep introducing new anime particle effect lights for Sonic to spawn around him as he floats in mid-air, sure. Boring bg music, completely nondescript. 

Hopefully the story salvages it. Can't see much else being worth the time.

Look, if you actually think being able to run in perfect circles while boosting is "clunky", the game will do nothing for you.

The music isn't background music either, it's pretty obviously made for the trailer and if it's in the game, probably some cutscene. 

Not even sure what you mean by the aesthetics. How is it "dull colors" but also "some anime open world game?" Those are usually really colorful??

Anyway, I'm not surprised this place is the most negative about the game. But even then, it's about feeling "nothing", which I take as this trailer just did its job lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

What the actual fuck.

I guess it's not unexpected for a game they are claiming to be 25+ hours to finish (not to 100% it)

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

The chart returns

Much better than before. 

Just now, StaticMania said:

I feel like nothing new was shown of that City stage...

It's literally the same footage but a few seconds ahead.

Looks good, wish they gave us more context for stuff given that this is a 'Story Trailer', but I quite like what was shown on the whole. Wish they had a proper vocal theme rather than the orchestra (which sounds good, granted), but yeah, I like it. Glad this sorta soft-confirms new enemies per environment too.

• Thumbs Up 3

• The topic was featured
Just now, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

If you sign up for a newsletter you can get gameplay codes

A newsletter? This really is fucking 2005 lmao

Just now, Kuzu said:

They're really committed to this mystery angle huh 

It really is the most disappointing part of the trailer that it's a Story Trailer but not a lot of story.

At least we know Sage is definitely against Sonic, for now anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m still intrigued. At least this felt like a proper trailer, and something about it just sucked me in.

I’m curious about that album for the deluxe honestly. If it’s something I can take and add to my actual music library, I may want to get that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The digital deluxe stuff seems par for the course for a game like Frontiers. I could do without it, but it's not as confusing as what Origins was doing, and not egregious like the Colors Ultimate digital deluxe version.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

The music isn't background music either, it's pretty obviously made for the trailer and if it's in the game, probably some cutscene. 

Not even sure what you mean by the aesthetics. How is it "dull colors" but also "some anime open world game?" Those are usually really colorful??

Anyway, I'm not surprised this place is the most negative about the game. But even then, it's about feeling "nothing", which I take as this trailer just did its job lol.

Knock that shit off, lmao. I was amongst the most graceful about this game for the longest time.

"Anime open world" in the case that the enemy designs and black/white with neon techno-shit are so nondescript to Sonic that don't even look right when they're trying to come off like a subversion of Sonic design. The ruins and general architecture is going for an obvious rip on BoTW's overgrown clunky grey ruins, especially when offset with long stretches of mountains and valleys covered mostly in only one single color for the grass, sand etc you tread. And if that's not enough, they add the constant streams of flashy lights seen in every modern anime action game (and action show for that matter) to everything; from the trail Sonic leaves when doing the cyloop to the random bs he spawns when doing certain attacks like the kick.. wind thing? Or the orbs?

On an aside, the grimy shades of gray and the grittiness it portrays also just reminds me of the rugged, ugly muddy look of Black Knight too, hence my previous comparison.

Game's ugly.

And there's no reason they'd make music for a trailer in that way that doesn't represent the kind of stuff you'd hear in the background in any other part of the game. If it is cutscene or event music, it's still rather uninteresting.

Last note,

Look, if you actually think being able to run in perfect circles while boosting is "clunky", the game will do nothing for you.

Reread what you wrote. Very slowly. 

If that's the extent of the game, then is it enough for you either? Or anyone, for that matter? lol

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, azoo said:

If it is cutscene or event music, it's still rather uninteresting.

To each their own on that. Everyone has different tastes. While it’s not the rock-ish-ness of other Sonic games, I find it quite neat in its own way. 

19 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

You may be fine with that, but I'm not! Once again Tails gets shafted when he should at least be playable!

I really hope he isn't just relegated to the opening and ending cutscenes, because, as a Tails fan, that would really piss me off!

Whoa, er, calm down? I’m a massive Tails fan, he’s my favourite, but also… how to put this… I’ve set my expectations for his roles in Sonic Team games at the moment. I would LOVE for him to be playable, but it looks like anyone not called Sonic is once again relegated to cutscenes/NPC. Tails is my boi and if he’s last of the friends then at least it shakes things up a little. Not an Amy fan at all but I can’t be bitter at her seemingly being first, she has fans too who deserve to see their girl get some attention and be first for once. I don’t mean any disrespect to you by saying that, it’s just the way things look like they’re gonna play out and I’m too old now to get really upset about it I guess.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sega, I will give you $15 for this game. You can haggle me up to $20, but only if it actually runs well on my PC.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, azoo said:

Knock that shit off, lmao. I was amongst the most graceful about this game for the longest time.

"Anime open world" in the case that the enemy designs and black/white with neon techno-shit are so nondescript to Sonic that don't even look right when they're trying to come off like a subversion of Sonic design.

I'm sure you were graceful, but your critiques are still bizarre.

That description... doesn't match any description of an anime game either...? When I think of "anime open world", I think Genshin Impact, which is... no...?

The ruins and general architecture is going for an obvious rip on BoTW's overgrown clunky grey ruins

Breath of the Wild did not invent ruins. What you're describing is ruins.

from the trail Sonic leaves when doing the cyloop to the random bs he spawns when doing certain attacks like the kick.. wind thing? Or the orbs?

They do not look out of place in a Sonic game at all. Sonic leaving trails, he does that all the time.

And there's no reason they'd make music for a trailer in that way that doesn't represent the kind of stuff you'd hear in the background in any other part of the game. 

Yes there is??? To sell the trailer??? They do this all the time?? 

Oh, "represent", sure. 

The trailer music sounds neither like the overworld music (which we know is calm and medolic) or the cyberspace levels (which we haven't heard, but are told time and again are more akin to standard Sonic music).

If that's the extent of the game

Who said it was the extent of the game?? I'm pointing out an obvious, not-clunky example of the controls that you can tell even without playing it, and people who DID play it says it feels much smoother than the boost games.

Rather, how could you even tell how "clunky" the controls are from this trailer, which has Sonic grinding, bouncing, or running in a straight line 99% of the time? Do you think that because he doesn't go in the other direction, he can't?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, caitash said:

Whoa, er, calm down? I’m a massive Tails fan, he’s my favourite, but also… how to put this… I’ve set my expectations for his roles in Sonic Team games at the moment. I would LOVE for him to be playable, but it looks like anyone not called Sonic is once again relegated to cutscenes/NPC. Tails is my boi and if he’s last of the friends then at least it shakes things up a little. Not an Amy fan at all but I can’t be bitter at her seemingly being first, she has fans too who deserve to see their girl get some attention and be first for once. I don’t mean any disrespect to you by saying that, it’s just the way things look like they’re gonna play out and I’m too old now to get really upset about it I guess.

Thanks. I'm sorry. Its just the last few years have been difficult for me as a Tails fan. Mania, Origins and comics aside, It just seems like Sega and Sonic Team just don't know what to do with him anymore.

At any rate, it seems Tails will be absent for THE VAST MAJORITY OF THIS GAME!

Hell, Even the Sonic 2 movie sorta pushed him aside in favour of Sonic and Knuckles!

I know it's really early to say this but I 100% think the reception for this game is going to be mixed a lot of people are either going to love this game or just completely hate it.

I actually like this trailer!  Sure, I wish that they told us a bit more about the story, but at least they showed us a bit more of the gameplay and at least we have a good idea of who SAGE is as a character. Also, I like how Roger sounds here.  I will admit that I didn't recognize his voice in this trailer because he sounded so different from how he usually portrays Sonic, but when they said that they are making a more serious game, they weren't playing.  Now, we just have to wait until November to see how this game goes.  I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope that this is the game that will put Sonic back on track in terms of the games.

• Thumbs Up 3