Awoo.

SONIC FRONTIERS Story Trailer

Wraith
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New Story Details, Locations, and Release Date in Sonic Frontiers' Gamescom Trailer at some point.

Just now, MGA_Gamer said:

Thanks. I'm sorry. Its just the last few years have been difficult for me as a Tails fan. Mania, Origins and comics aside, It just seems like Sega and Sonic Team just don't know what to do with him.

Hell, Even the Sonic 2 movie sorta pushed him aside in favour of Sonic and Knuckles!

Nah it’s cool, I do understand (I really, honestly do). Like I said I’m just, well, I’m not really ‘cool’ with it all but I’ve sort of accepted it for now that this is how it is for as long as Sonic Team only let male hedgehogs be playable in any capacity. At the back of my mind the fangirl is yelling at me “But what if he’s last for a reason?! They’re in an AI world, that’s totally his skill! What if he has to stay in there to help Sonic get Amy and Knux out safely before he gets himself out?!” but yeah, I’m not counting on anything like that being more than wishful thinking…

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, judging from everything up until this trailer it’s the looking like the most focused looking Sonic game in a dang long time at least.

The Story seems engaging enough instead of the usual puff piece, combat looks pretty solid, and the regular speed gameplay has enough to satisfy either linear boost purists or explorationists with the open zones.

What will ultimately matter is how fun the islands and cyberspace are to actually play across individually, but that’s difficult to tell without ME actually playing it. Open worlds are usually quite boring when watching others play after all. 

But, I’m finding myself less concerned with how this is turning out the more I see of it. So you could say I have very positive vibes - but I’m not gunna hype myself in the same way I used too, the Sonic Cycle has chewed me up and spat me back out enough times now 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jay_Senju said:

I know it's really early to say this but I 100% think the reception for this game is going to be mixed a lot of people are either going to love this game or just completely hate it.

Good, the games that are like that "love it or hate it" public opinion end up being the more interesting games anyways (I.E; Unleashed, Heroes, Shadow)

I'm ready for either a glorious train wreck or a complete masterpiece. Maybe even both.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Game looks like it'll be alright. Playable. Not offensively bad. Got a list of problems as long as my arm though. 

I have a feeling that those problems are what a few people already pointed out, which is fair.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Frontiers does appear to fit in the proud (?) Sonic tradition of taking an established formula and clumsily bolting new junk on top of it.

Actually, now that I think about it, the series has a tradition of taking an established formula and clumsily bolting a new combat system on top of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Trailer was pretty good to me. We still know little about the story. I knew that sega wouldn't just tell the entire story in one trailer. I'm sure the game will look and feel better once I actually play it. Watching it just isn't fun, especially when 50% of the video is just clips from before lol. I hope a demo comes out first.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe it's just fatigue...but this trailer seems like it should be interesting.

The re-used footage and slow drip of info isn't helping.

16 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

At any rate, it seems Tails will be absent for THE VAST MAJORITY OF THIS GAME!

Doesn't it make sense to keep the tech genius away from an island littered with technology and cyberspace? If the narrative is pushing for a mystery angle, then all that goes out the window once Tails is let loose and finds a computer terminal to hack.

Rather than get worked up over other characters nabbing screen time, you could take a step back and realize that there is a very real possibility that Tails skills will play a very major role in unraveling the mystery surrounding the islands. There isn't anyone else better suited for the task. Aside from bonus points for shaking up the natural order, there is almost certainly a narrative reason for keeping Tails out of the picture at the start of the game.

If Tails was brought in first, you'd be disrespecting the character by throwing him into a Cyberspace mystery and not having him immediately decode the entire plot.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, MetalSkulkBane said:

Anyone else cringed when Green Hills showed up?

Yup. Cringed harder when Sky Sanctuary showed up too.

3 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

At this point, I don't really care anymore about Green Hills showing up in the games. All I care about is if the gameplay is any good.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Just digital? There's no physical version?

There's a physical version too. But official physical pre-orders aren't up yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Doesn't it make sense to keep the tech genius away from an island littered with technology and cyberspace? If the narrative is pushing for a mystery angle, then all that goes out the window once Tails is let loose and finds a computer terminal to hack.

Rather than get worked up over other characters nabbing screen time, you could take a step back and realize that there is a very real possibility that Tails skills will play a very major role in unraveling the mystery surrounding the islands. There isn't anyone else better suited for the task. Aside from bonus points for shaking up the natural order, there is almost certainly a narrative reason for keeping Tails out of the picture at the start of the game.

If Tails was brought in first, you'd be disrespecting the character by throwing him into a Cyberspace mystery and not having him immediately decode the entire plot.

Not only that, but the trailer hasn't really revealed the whole story yet, so there's a possibly that Tails might show up in the game at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I cringed when Green Hill Zone showed up, but my desperation for a good game is so high, I'm willing to swallow it. 

That's where I stand. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

6 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

At this point expecting GHZ to show up is just part of the ordeal. I've accepted that GHZ will probably be the starting level of every sonic game from this point forward.

Mario starts with a generic grass overworld level, Sonic gets to start in GHZ.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

55 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

The music isn't background music either, it's pretty obviously made for the trailer

Yep. Definitely.

...anyway,

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Too Many Rings 1

4 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Yep. Definitely.

...anyway,

I’m ok with that. I quite enjoyed the music and looking forward to hearing more.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

unknown.png

LMAO fuck off SEGA

I don't see what the big deal is here? Open world games do this a lot these days either as launch day versions, pre-order bonuses, or even CE bonuses. You don't have to use the codes given to get the skill points and such if you don't want those. Its at least superficial compared to the early access shit

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

I watched the trailer and I felt nothing.

Partially because 90% of the stuff that was shown I knew about it already, or it is minor stuff such as new enemies and such; partially because the content shown still doesn't interest me too much, and the gameplay seems to be still as boring and automated as it looked in the old footages.

At this point, either the trailer still didn't show enough, or it's another case like Forces where the stuff shown looked like just the beginning of the game, but it was already indicative of the full game instead (aka it's not that they didn't show stuff, it's that there's nothing left to show, the game is all like this).

I don't dislike the game either, I'm just indifferent, apathietc... this game failed to attract me so far. As a Sonic fan I will still follow the game hoping to find something in it that I like, but the chances are that at the end there will be nothing and I might skip the game completely.

On a side note, it seems like the highway level is really as uninteresting as I suspected back when it was revealed... the highway road crossing above doesn't seem to be a platform, the dash rings will just send you back to the main route after you fly over it for a split second... it does not seem to be an alternate path, and if it is, it's a really boring one because there's just a flat highway with some random cars on there, no level design from what I see. The more they show of the cyberspace levels, the more they look even more straight lines with minimum interaction than Forces' levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's 'aight.

The desert field is decent, but it doesn't quite live up to the sheer breathtaking scale I think they were going for with that concept art. Some areas of the desert certainly look better than others, however. I'm glad they have 5 zones! That gives me hope that one of them will be a full snowy/frozen or a fully mechanical island.

I want to see a complete Cyberspace level, preferably one that is accessed only around the middle of the game, to ascertain just how involved on average the player will need to be with their input. The levels seem similar enough to Generations, but it's still hard to tell since we saw primarily just snippets of a bunch of levels. I've got a hunch that this won't be better than Generations' design, but it'll probably be 2nd place to me as far as boost gameplay goes. I'm just glad there doesn't seem to be that much 2D. I was always OK with a little 2D in modern/boost Sonic, I just didn't want damn near 1/3 if not half the level to be 2D.

Honestly Sega, I might actually spend money on this. It's upsetting to think that I haven't bought a Sonic game since Mania (unless getting the newer Sonic games via PS plus for free technically counts as buying it, then that sucks).

• Thumbs Up 1

Frontiers story trailer was pretty neat, but definitely way too short. Didn't even play the vocal theme, so that's a bummer. Did like the CG, new combat moves, Sage, the cute Koco and the orchestral track that did play. Probably just trailer music.

Game still looks great. Love that the one promotional picture everyone liked did in fact end up being the boxart. Pretty sick.

• Thumbs Up 2