Awoo.

SONIC FRONTIERS Story Trailer

Wraith
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New Story Details, Locations, and Release Date in Sonic Frontiers' Gamescom Trailer at some point.

The second island is named 'Ares Island' and the first is named 'Kronos Island', likely meaning that each island will be named/themed after different Greek gods. Between that and one of the bosses literally being named 'Ashura', it seems like Frontiers is taking a lot of inspiration from real world mythologies. Pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember also that we will start seeing actual gameplay within the next 24 hours from Gamescom

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

The second island is named 'Ares Island' and the first is named 'Kronos Island', likely meaning that each island will be named/themed after different Greek gods. Between that and one of the bosses literally being named 'Ashura', it seems like Frontiers is taking a lot of inspiration from real world mythologies. Pretty cool.

The naming conventions as well as the leaked promotional art style has me convinced this game is an unofficial storybook 3 and I am all for it.

I don't have a source on hand so don't quote me on this, but didn't Sega/Sonic Team want the third storybook game to be about greek legend?

56 minutes ago, Jay_Senju said:

I know it's really early to say this but I 100% think the reception for this game is going to be mixed a lot of people are either going to love this game or just completely hate it.

So...every Sonic game that has released in the past 20 or so years then.

• Thumbs Up 4

Love it!!...
My only fear now is that the ancient civilization is not an "animal" civilization...
And I'm eager to watch the trailer with the Japanese voices!!...

• Thumbs Up 1

This is such a nothing trailer. We don't actually see any significant gameplay apart from the combat, which looks.....functional.

If you're gonna show the game, SHOW the game. Let us see more of all the shit. And not that random garbage from Summer Games Fest either. Like actual gameplay. Sonic Team has no track record to hold stuff back for later to surprise us. Just show us the fucking game.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, LegoFedora said:

The naming conventions as well as the leaked promotional art style has me convinced this game is an unofficial storybook 3 and I am all for it.

I don't have a source on hand so don't quote me on this, but didn't Sega/Sonic Team want the third storybook game to be about greek legend?

I think they'll be pulling from lots of different cultures rather than just Greek myth, but Greek myth seems to clue us into what islands are themed after what.

Kronos (god of time) Island has an emphasis on recovering Amy's memories and a lot of past Sonic stages are here, Ares (god of war and courage) Island has a lot of old weapons and enemies shaped like actual weaponry too. So other islands may follow suit with such theming.

Also the music is generic, but it sounds like cutscene music. I'm gonna give some benefit of the doubt because Ohtani's produced some great OSTs over the years. I just hope its more Sonic Unleashed and less Sonic Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Anyone else cringed when Green Hills showed up?

We've known its been in for months, its time to stop acting like this is news.

3 minutes ago, Scar said:

This is such a nothing trailer. We don't actually see any significant gameplay apart from the combat, which looks.....functional.

If you're gonna show the game, SHOW the game. Let us see more of all the shit. And not that random garbage from Summer Games Fest either. Like actual gameplay. Sonic Team has no track record to hold stuff back for later to surprise us. Just show us the fucking game.

At this point, I'm fairly sure what we've seen is in fact the gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, NoKaine said:

That description... doesn't match any description of an anime game either...? When I think of "anime open world", I think Genshin Impact, which is... no...?

Of all the anime open world things with gleaming neon genesis constructs all over the place, you mention one the most derivative design. LOL yo must be kidding. Swap sonic for one of those anime and see who's more fitting

image.jpeg.fc82be89e02cf8e6e59f5b51b9945c2e.jpeggleam2.jpg.8e4848b7c6f5830c5953c415c29de227.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

The trailer was kinda... eh. Naff. For a story it didn't really tell me much, and while I'm glad to see new islands I wish they weren't so dull-looking. Also gives me pause to see the bit of Green Hill in the trailer is literally a segment from the Generations version. Oh, but it's got a box awkwardly slapped in the road now, so it's fine. Even the CG felt kinda bland - no real impact or action to it, even when Sonic takes off towards the enemies after seeing Amy he's just sort of meekly jogging over.

I'm interested in seeing Sage's deal. I think back and there are parts of the game we've seen that look at least somewhat entertaining to me. I don't think the game's gonna be dreadful, but it looks extremely mediocre at best.

The digital deluxe is laughable. It's not as embarassing as Origins, but 'pay us an extra $10 to play less of the game' is such a bizarre pitch...

• Thumbs Up 7

21 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

ARES as in... The GOD OF WAR?

Oh boy, Zeus Island gun be good.

10 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

I think they'll be pulling from lots of different cultures rather than just Greek myth, but Greek myth seems to clue us into what islands are themed after what.

Kronos (god of time) Island has an emphasis on recovering Amy's memories and a lot of past Sonic stages are here, Ares (god of war and courage) Island has a lot of old weapons and enemies shaped like actual weaponry too. So other islands may follow suit with such theming.

Kind of pedantic of me but technically Kronos is the Titan of Time. He's not a God. Titans came before Gods and are a different thing. But yeah, Ares is indeed a god. My bad. I couldn't stop myself haha.

• Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, StellarBlur said:

Kind of pedantic of me but technically Kronos is the Titan of Time. He's not a God. Titans came before Gods and are a different thing. But yeah, Ares is indeed a god. My bad. I couldn't stop myself haha.

Somewhere one of your cultural studies Teachers is shedding a tear.

Odd to mix and match titans and gods tho. They don't play nice together.

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Somewhere one of your cultural studies Teachers is shedding a tear.

Odd to mix and match titans and gods tho. They don't play nice together.

Hmmm. Wonder if that might play a theme in matters of chaos and throwing things out of balance in this upcoming story.

• Way Past Cool 1

19 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Also gives me pause to see the bit of Green Hill in the trailer is literally a segment from the Generations version

Oh good I wasn’t the only one that noticed that 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Oh good I wasn’t the only one that noticed that 

My subconscious was already preparing to press the slide button. 

I'm still waiting for a proper hook. Sonic Team has thrown "Sonic, but open world!" at us, and I'm wondering, "...and? And?"

Back in... I dunno, early 2010s, that initial hook would have been interesting. But we live in an era of gaming where almost every game is open world, that the feature has begun to lose it's lustre. Sonic is in an open world, I can see that, but what does that add to his gameplay? No matter what anyone else can say, SEGA themselves haven't said anything to prove it different.

Oh, but I'm looking at it all wrong, aren't I? This is actually a strand-type gam- I mean, open zone game. It's different from an open world game, that does the exact same thing that Frontiers is doing.

I don't like being negative like this, but Sonic Frontiers is failing to show what makes itself different by taking this approach. Oh, and the story exists.

• Thumbs Up 3

honestly, the trailer met my expectations exactly. i didn't anticipate anything of note, and that was exactly what i got out of it, so *shrugs*

Welp, I hoped I'd be more impressed by now, but I think at this point what we've seen is what the game will be, different environments aside. It'll be fine enough. 

Not sure how to feel about Roger using an even deeper voice, but it sounds more natural.

• Thumbs Up 3

Again, this fits quite within my expectations. Unless the story approach has dramatically changed to be something like Xenoblade or similar, I expected it to not reveal too much... unless they go with the approach where the trailer reveals so much you know almost everything (like a lot of the theatrical movie trailers for some reason).

There was much more emphasis on the cyberspace levels. But I'm hoping that most of the time spent and important activities done are outside of them actually.

Trailer was fine. Game looks fine. 

Not terribly much else to say. I'm anticipating a good time at least. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I came, I saw, I thought "not bad".

....Then a clip of "Generations Green Hill" popped up and now i feel its   "squeaky bum time*" until more gameplay is shown. 

*(for those unfamiliar with the term, in uk football / rugby / other sports games, the last few min of a tense, close, tight, game is called "squeaky bum time" as the game could still go either way (good result / bad result) and you move around nervously in your seat until the game is over and the final result is known)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Confused 1

Wow that looked average as hell. The cutscenes we had already seen were the best animated action bits, and everything revealed here felt as stilted as Boom TV show animation. Gameplay revealed more stuff but also nothing new at the same time. Green Hill linear level showed up and featured a 2D Section that feels incredibly similar to the opening of Generations' Act 2 lower route, and looks worse in comparison. New environment is even more barren and un-Sonic than Kronos island.

Not going to be holding my breath for it all to come together afterwards, so I guess this is what we'll be getting. I'll still play it, but lol SEGA

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1