Awoo.

SONIC FRONTIERS Story Trailer

Wraith
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New Story Details, Locations, and Release Date in Sonic Frontiers' Gamescom Trailer at some point.

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

If someone's not very satisifed with the gameplay direction at this point, then there's probably not much more to reveal that will change their mind. I've been feeling lukewarm about the game since June.. probably going to stay that way until the game is in my hands.

There is only 1 wildcard left to play. The cyberspace stages

If we get footage of that tomorrow and it looks like Gens++, then even people around here will start getting pretty jazzed. If it shows up and is par for the course... or God forbid, looks like a Forces 2 situation,  then yeah - we boned. Given Sonic Teams track record, I can't fault someone for setting expectations to the latter.

So we'll get our answer on how hyped we should be sooner rather than later.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, outside of environments and combat moves there's pretty little in the way of surprises I feel for this game.

This is the gameplay loops. At this point it comes down to the environments and level design to be the "exciting bit". How Sonic can traverse the space, and how flexible you can be as a player. 

I.e, very minute stuff we need to wait on more impressions for. 

Otherwise, I think this is the last, "suprising" trailer we're getting. 

I don't know what it is with me these days. Maybe it's just me being tired after a long ass day at work or it really is pure indifference with where this series is going nowadays but I just... don't really have that many strong thoughts on this trailer one way or another.

Like, most of my positives seem to center around the base concepts like "hey, I like 3D boost segments because I'm a stupid boost fanatic lol". Or, the idea of them actually taking the story seriously this time around. Not so much because I believe it's going to be amazing (I trust Flynn but not ST and you need too strong halves for this), but the fact that they're even trying at all is keeping my interest perked.

I like most of the ideas on display, love the direction, but other than that what I'm seeing is just "fine".

Then you go into the obvious issues like GHZ and Sky Sanctuary again, the overworld continuing to look last gen at best, sonic moving so stiffly, ect. Stuff that others in this topic have covered already so I won't drag on about here.

Hell, even with stuff I'm generally positive about like the story I'm sort of at odds with. We didn't really learn anything new here and this was suppose to be the story trailer. The thing that usually sells the game on its scope and presentation. I was expecting a bit more with us being less than three months out.

Now, there are two clear routes I could take this as. Either that what we're seeing is all that they really have and the full game doesn't actually do much more (which is the pure cynical take that's sadly been the case with past titles). Or, they're really holding on to this mystery aspect and the full game has a bunch of shit we haven't seen yet (the pure optimist take). Though now, like I said above, I can't really bring myself to align with any of these paths because I just... can't be asked lol.

Idk, I'm probably just mumbling after a long day and I'll comeback with some more hot takes later but for now... eh, trailer was fine. Didn't see anything I actively hated nor anything that really has me hyped. Feel like the game is going to be "fine" but probably nothing more than that. Story is up in the air but with the direction it seems to be going and with Flynn behind it I do have hope. Just... wish we saw more here... if there even is more. A desert biome wasn't enough for me in that regard sadly. I like that is does confirm that there's more to this "open-zone" thing than a forest... but when the actual speed levels are asset flips from Gens and that there doesn't seem to be any real gameplay changes or gimmicks to go along with the change... I'm still just whelmed.

• Thumbs Up 4

Alright so

5 islands is definitely new info for this game, and a sizable upgrade from the assumption that 4 would be the end of it. And with the assumption that 7 cyber space levels are available on the first island at minimum, combined with the impression from the GameInformer writer that it's closer to maybe above 10 for that first island, that's 35 stages at minimum, and maybe more

Now that we've seen the footage of the 2D Green Hill Zone level, this number is starting to feel more believable:

gTQ6jmh.gif

It's not just the springs, but also the upper pathway leading to a dash ring, and the lower path leading you into a quarter pipe ending with a spring sending you down that exact same spring section. From all looks and appearances, this is lifting the entire level design of the same section from Generations Green Hill Zone. In spite of many hoping for the opposite, we may have entire level recreations on our hands, with slight alterations like the box placed at the end of the gif.

In the past I've complained about them showing too much or even sometimes literally the whole game in their lead up to a game's release. It's why I recall not being "excited" for Generations once I finally had it in my hands. I knew about everything that was going to be in the game.

If it turns out that they're keeping a lot of this close to the chest because they want us to discover most of it then fine. It may lead to some advertising snafus but it's better for me in the long run in that regard if that really is the idea here.

It might be nice to actually see Eggman's first appearance in game as the story intended for once.

But yeah, I'm pretty whelmed despite this still being basically what I want. The combination of being burned by Forces coupled with the odd feeling that this feels like the game we should have gotten like 7 years ago is probably what's making it hard to summon excitement. Among other things.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm guessing there's someone to rescue on each island.

Although I have to wonder, what happens/changes when we successfully rescue someone?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the main thing I want to see now is a full length level or three, just so I can get a feel for how they'll play out. That is the main element that I still feel I'm "missing" from Frontiers' gameplay loop. After that, I'm honestly fine with them keeping things under lock and key so as to surprise players.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Alright so

5 islands is definitely new info for this game, and a sizable upgrade from the assumption that 4 would be the end of it. And with the assumption that 7 cyber space levels are available on the first island at minimum, combined with the impression from the GameInformer writer that it's closer to maybe above 10 for that first island, that's 35 stages at minimum, and maybe more

Now that we've seen the footage of the 2D Green Hill Zone level, this number is starting to feel more believable:

gTQ6jmh.gif

It's not just the springs, but also the upper pathway leading to a dash ring, and the lower path leading you into a quarter pipe ending with a spring sending you down that exact same spring section. From all looks and appearances, this is lifting the entire level design of the same section from Generations Green Hill Zone. In spite of many hoping for the opposite, we may have entire level recreations on our hands, with slight alterations like the box placed at the end of the gif.

Sweet. There's two sides to this in how this works for me in my headspace;

1) This is not the same. Every Sonic stage has familiar elements and layouts in certain places, a loop de loop is a loop de loop, bouncing off springs with a similar pattern is just that as well... it's bound to cause deja vu if you've played a certain level enough times. Inspired by Green Hill Generations? Sure, but then what game doesn't do references and call backs. 

2) This is the exact same Green Hill Gen level with tweaks, and some level designs will be lifted from past games. In which case... brilliant! Generations remains stuck to my Xbox 360, so getting recreations of particular stages / references at the boost era's peak level design is a welcome move all this time later.

Cyberspace isn't the complete bread and butter of the package deal anyway, not to mention that Sonic Colours does call backs and replicates Sonic 1 stages in its own "cyberspace" levels of Eggman's Sonic Simulator, so it makes sense then that this game may attempt something similar in some of  cyberspace's memory levels. 

11 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

unknown.png

LMAO fuck off SEGA

Unfortunately this is partially the kind of early acess stuff I DONT like. Giving upgrade tools right from the get go feels like you're dumbing down the game for hard cash in the publishers pocket. Bad practise in my opinion.

The digital art book and sound track I'm more interested in as deluxe edition goodies.

As for the 'meat and potatoes' of the topic; the trailer.

Given this is a 2 minute supposed story trailer I gotta say there's very little story past what we already knew. It's more like a teaser rather than a trailer and I don't know why they are made synonymous with one another.

New additions:

- the Koko being endangered by these artificial enemies (forgot their name).

- we get a look at how Sonic's friends are trapped, but aparantly Sonic being unsure if that's really Amy or its a hologram of sorts.

Who can blame him given all the digitally and artificially looking constructs he has to fight. If we get a call back to Infinate's hallucinogenic/ hypnotic powers this might be it that Sonic is not sure if he can trust his eyes after that run in, but thats just me wishful thinking about it. Plenty of other reasons why he second guesses his first judgement.

- we see Sonic aparantly affected by some sort of power/ influence dubbed 'the secrets of the ancients' which looks quite similar to whatever Sage is coated in. Leads to more speculation that Sage might be corrupted by this influence as we see Sonic grimacing from using/ being affected by it. Could also elude to the fact that using the cyber space portals is 'ancients' tech and using it slowly starts to wear on Sonic.

59 minutes ago, Duelistic Nature said:

Who can blame him given all the digitally and artificially looking constructs he has to fight. If we get a call back to Infinate's hallucinogenic/ hypnotic powers this might be it that Sonic is not sure if he can trust his eyes after that run in, but thats just me wishful thinking about it.

That is an awesome idea, altough one that doens't entirely work for the simple fact that Infinite never really managed to trick anyone or do anything clever with his hallucinations to create this level of paranoia. I mean, I guess him having the fake Shadow attack the city would qualify, but that guy was killed off before Sonic even had a split second of dialogue or conflict with the thing. Just goes to show what a colossal waste of interesting plot ideas Forces was. Altough I suppose  that's just my cynical take and in-universe, Sonic and friends were really really paranoid and constantly double checking for traitors and fake illusions.

Anyway,  Frontiers having Ian Flynn write in the flavor dialogue in the game, I wouldn't be surprised if this does get a reference.
Altough it's probably nothing more then that, just a reference. "Oh! This reminds me of Infinite! (Wait for audience applause)"

Speaking of colossal waste of good plot, here's a thing I find potentially interesting.

Interviews we got with Ian Flynn seemed to state that we delve into the characters' psyche a little, in particular Dr. Eggman is given some depth in the game. Which is weird, since Sonic's friends are trapped for most of the game, and presumingly won't do much but brainless cheerleading as soon as they're rescued, if the tradition from post Sonic 06 games continues. Especially since Eggman seems to be the final one to be rescued as he isn't even mentioned so far. Leaves little screentime to explore the character if he ain't showing up until the final chunk of the game.

Besides that, appearently the cyberspace levels have to do with jogging your memories. And look at that bonus Deluxe edition list of items you receive, Amy's memory tokens, Knuckles memory tokens, Tails memory tokens. Hmm.

So...... If you put all that together, it seems the game has the potential to do a bit of Psychonauts action.
Say, to rescue Amy, it isn't just about collecting gears and doing random missions in a vacuum, that stuff is just required to do the Actual rescue mission.
And That would be an exclusive Cyberspace level based on Amy's memories, presumingly about some traumatic memory that's blocking her will to escape. Thus, we're getting a level for each of the  captured characters (Including Eggman) that's tailor made for them as a Psychonauts style mind level about a character flaw or nasty memory that's keeping them blocked.

That'd be neat right?Everything seems to hint to this so far.

Despite that, I really doubt this will happen and it's just wishful thinking. Purely because I have zero faith in Sonic Team giving enough of a toss to bother creating something that elaborate. Too much work.

So, best case scenerio, they cobble together some recycled material with a weak excuse how this relates to the character.
(Uh, Amy's trauma  level is the Metal Sonic boss fight from Generations again. Because, uhh, she's sad that Sonic had to rescue her instead of being self-reliant. And we solve that mental blockage by....saving her while she's helpless still. Yay.)

Worst case scenerio, we just get a wall of text after saving her where Ian Flynn gets to write a chunk of random sad backstory for each main character which otherwise has zero relevance to the main story/ any gameplay activities you go trough.
I wouldn't even be surprised if it's extremely vague and doesn't mention any specific backstory but just general Anime isms.
"I always wanted to follow my dreams, but my heart finds the path to the light filled with darkness." which Ian Flynn would have to wrestle into something comprehensive in the Western version.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

There is only 1 wildcard left to play. The cyberspace stages

If we get footage of that tomorrow and it looks like Gens++, then even people around here will start getting pretty jazzed. If it shows up and is par for the course... or God forbid, looks like a Forces 2 situation,  then yeah - we boned. Given Sonic Teams track record, I can't fault someone for setting expectations to the latter.

So we'll get our answer on how hyped we should be sooner rather than later.

Yeah that’s where I’m at right now. Sonic Frontiers looks alright, which is not a great first impression for a Sonic game that’s been in development for 5 years. The open world look like a pretty, but generic biome, and the gameplay there seems cool but might also be finicky or janky (though previews from 2 months ago said otherwise and that it controlled really well 🤔).

These Cyberspace levels have to be REALLY good, like Unleashed/Generations tier. If we’re still getting those incredibly bland Forces stages though, I’m definitely waiting for reviews. Or a leaked live stream like I did with Sonic Forces! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess my takeaway from the trailer is that Frontiers is an old game. Old Green Hill Zone, old Sky Sanctuary Zone, apparently old level design lifted straight from an old game, old getting bounced from spring to spring to rail to dash panel scripted sequences, old old old. Very disappointing for a game that if the developers own words are to be believed is supposed to serve as a new foundation for the series going forward.

• Thumbs Up 5

8 hours ago, The Deleter said:

Alright so

gTQ6jmh.gif

I had low expectations for this game but even I didn't expect reused layouts. 

This game is a fucking joke, lol. All this time and almost nothing to show for it. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Taking assets and level design from a decade old game is so utterly baffling to me. Like imagine in Mario Oddessy there was just a random Galaxy level thrown with no changes at all? And despite it clashing with the tone completely? And imagine this is the third time they’ve done this, Christ.

10 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Like imagine in Mario Oddessy there was just a random Galaxy level thrown with no changes at all?

Like how there's a random Sunshine level in Mario Galaxy with "no changes at all"...

The change here is actually less than nothing.

For the criticism I have for the way advertisement and deluxe edition are handled I genuinely think Frontiers is going to be an enjoyable game.

I dont hold the illusion it will succeed some of the favorites in the genre, but it would still hold up pretty well on its own, but maybe it ends up being forgetful which... would maybe be a first for the genre? Can someone raise me a Sonic game that NO ONE remembers?

I think Frontiers from what I see in the "trailers" are summarized in 2 words: missed opportunities/ potential.

The biomes while most likely impressive on a graphical level, feel a bit bland maybe? Maybe because they look too similar? Especially the desert one with the mountain one feel like two biomes with brown earthy tones. Not a whole lot of contrast while that can make a region really memorable.

Play Sonic Adventure 1, '06, zero gravity, sonic the hedgehog 2 and you notice these "Zones" look and play distinctly different.

But maybe we're too hung up comparing it to what came before to judge it on its own merrit. Yes we only have other Sonic games to compare Sonic games with since it's its own animal, but I set out with the expectation that it at least succeeds Forces in terms of gameplay.

Maybe that's on me... I set the bar too low (insert meme here), but comparing it to my fan favorites is just setting up for disappointment.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, The Deleter said:

Alright so

gTQ6jmh.gif

Incredible

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe this game isn’t for hard core Sonic fans. Many of you sound burnt out and bitter. If you don’t like the game at this point, it’s probably not for you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

1 minute ago, The Deleter said:

Incredible

Damn. I thought the level designs might not be good, not that they'd wholy reuse past ones. 

All I can say is that it kind of makes sense, considering that these stages are an optional part of the game. 

When I said Gens+ I didn't mean copy and paste, Jesus Christ. 

Unleashed is my favorite game and that is still a gut punch of disappointment. 

There better be half a million cyberspace levels to justify this kind of asset rehash. Yikes 

I was enjoying the trailer until the Green Hill part. I'm still hyped for the game(50% due to Ian Flynn helping with the script and 50% due to gameplay possibilities), but I'm also so tired of seeing levels that I already saw before in other games.

The Sonic series used to be known for being different and more exciting than it's main competition due to fresh ideas and content, but all I see is rehashed stages and concepts now. As a long time fan, this is pretty sad to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Cayenne said:

I was enjoying the trailer until the Green Hill part. I'm still hyped for the game(50% due to Ian Flynn helping with the script and 50% due to gameplay possibilities), but I'm also so tired of seeing levels that I already saw before in other games.

The Sonic series used to be known for being different and more exciting than it's main competition due to fresh ideas and content, but all I see is rehashed stages and concepts now. As a long time fan, this is pretty sad to see.

Sonic doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Sonic Team have always taken inspiration from multiple sources for Sonic. Also green hill is like the most iconic stage in the entire franchise. My guess is Sonic Team continues to use that particular stage in order for casuals to recognize the game as Sonic. Without the cyberspace stages, people would say the game doesn’t look like Sonic, even though Sonic hasn’t only been bright and colorful. But whatever. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Starnik said:

Maybe this game isn’t for hard core Sonic fans. Many of you sound burnt out and bitter. If you don’t like the game at this point, it’s probably not for you.

Ahh we're starting this rhetoric again huh.

I'm glad we are not allowed to comment on our feelings random forum user.