Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Digital Deluxe Edition + General Pricing Revealed - Cosmetics confirmed for Sonic?

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into Sonic Frontiers to Have Pre-Order and Digital Deluxe Bonuses, And Denuvo on Steam at some point.

Revealed shortly after the new trailer, Sonic Frontiers' boxart has dropped, revealing the key art of Sonic grinding via rails will be the box art. Furthermore, preordering gives some in-game items - nothing exclusive, but a beginner pack of sorts, similar to Spider-Man PS4 and such, with a few skill packs, a power upgrade and a defence upgrade.

On top of that, Frontiers will have a free upgrade path, meaning getting the PS4/Xbox One versions will entitle you to a PS5/Series X upgrade, which is nice. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• The title was changed to Sonic Frontiers - Box Art + Upgrade Paths + Pre-Order Bonuses revealed (Nov 8th release)
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSS Classic Comment Bot

• Ryannumber1gamer

• Sega DogTagz

• castell-neath

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

On top of that, Frontiers will have a free upgrade path, meaning getting the PS4/Xbox One versions will entitle you to a PS5/Series X upgrade, which is nice. 

So you have to buy the PS5 version of P5 Royal fully even if you own it on PS4, yet they're giving free upgrades to Frontiers.

SEGA is weird.

Just now, AlphaRuby said:

So you have to buy the PS5 version of P5 Royal fully even if you own it on PS4, yet they're giving free upgrades to Frontiers.

SEGA is weird.

Might be an Altus thing.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Might be an Altus thing.

Pretty sure it's on SEGA since they're the publishers. It's probably more so because Frontiers is a brand new release, so they wouldn't get away with allowing an upgrade pathway.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Might be an Altus thing.

I'd have thought SEGA would keep their release strategies all in sync with its subsidiaries.

The PS4/PS5 boxart wears it well. Blue or white looks nice. Xbox slightly less so and I expect the red Switch looks a bit ugly.

The game just went live for pre-order on PlayStation, revealing the prices of the game:

£50/$60 for the regular edition of the game.

£55/$70 for the Digital Deluxe Edition.

From Steam, here's what the Digital Deluxe Edition includes:

The Digital Deluxe Edition comes with the Explorer's Treasure Box, which contains useful items for your adventure: Amy's Memory Tokens, Knuckles' Memory Tokens, Tails' Memory Tokens, Portal Gears, Chaos Emerald Vault Keys, Additional Gloves & Shoes for Sonic, and a Digital Art Book with a 25-track Digital Mini Soundtrack.

So as a quick sum up for the digital deluxe edition:

• Amy, Tails, and Knuckles' memory tokens
  • Chaos Emerald Vault Keys
  • Portal Gears
  • Additional Gloves + Shoes (Cosmetics?) for Sonic
  • Digital Art Book
  • Mini-Soundtrack

This also includes the pre-order bonus too, which are a few skill points, a power upgrade and a defence upgrade. 

So Sonic Frontiers has Denuvo.

Lol

Every new SEGA release has Denuvo, so this isn't that surprising.

Doesn't make it any less shitty, but still.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's interesting that it's starting at a discount. Has Sega not dipped their toes into "We're going to raise prices just because we know you'll pay it while pretending that the record profits the industry has had year over year for the past decade isn't enough to cover game development anymore" $70 price point yet in general?

4 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I think it's interesting that it's starting at a discount. Has Sega not dipped their toes into "We're going to raise prices just because we know you'll pay it while pretending that the record profits the industry has had year over year for the past decade isn't enough to cover game development anymore" $70 price point yet in general?

Not that I'm aware at least, but I don't think SEGA had a ton of full-price releases since the idiotic price hike went into effect (could be wrong). Even by the standards of other third-party developers, to my knowledge, a good few of them at least try to go for £60 releases nowadays over in the UK, so I'm genuinely surprised Frontiers is set at the standard £50. It's been awhile since the last time I saw a new full-priced release at that price point.

My big worry was the digital deluxe edition having an early-access perk which is always unfair on folk who buy phyiscally.

The worst thing I can say about the digital deluxe is it falls into the classic trap of charging you more money to play the game less. Never liked being given excess skill points and upgrades out of the gate.

Will be grabbing a physical pre-order once the UK shops start putting them up.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't announce a collector's edition for this tbh.

Lol

HM69rW0.png

This is truly a most unanticipated development. Never would I have imagined it be possible that a Sonic game in the current year would have Denuvo 

On 8/23/2022 at 7:58 PM, AlphaRuby said:

I'd have thought SEGA would keep their release strategies all in sync with its subsidiaries.

Not necessarily, but they have been trying to bring them closer.

Sega has gone on record in reports over the past few years that more of their games would follow Atlus release strategies in terms of production and distribution.

But at the end of the day the same strategies don't work for every game. Particularly when your dealing with "Halo" releases like Persona that more or  less are the gold standard of their genre. The same rules don't apply.

Also, they chose the right image for the Boxart. Very nice - even if some small part of me on the inside is angry that it is another depiction of how hard this game is going to lean on rails.

Lol

If I get this game, it'll be the Switch version, so this won't apply to me at least.

Still a bummer for PC players though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Lol

Sega, you haggled yourself down to $12.99 here.

• My Emmerdoods 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Posted By: Peter

Denuvo? Hard pass. Sonic Forces was/is unplayable due to Denuvo, not falling for that again.

Posted By: Beneficial Name

Oh wow, when is Sega gonna learn that Denuvo is only an unnecessary burden than a benefit for their products? – Espcecially when people are gonna figure out to get around it anyway.

Lol

Yeah, this isn't anything new.....sadly.

Still no info on physical editions. Yet. Digital deluxe looks pathetic for the price (£55 on ps store). Here's hoping for a nice physical boxset version.

Also, I wonder if the ps4 version will be cheaper than the ps5 version....if its say its 15 cheaper, simply buy that and upgrade for free. Seems odd.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:40 PM, Tornado said:

I think it's interesting that it's starting at a discount.

If memory serves correctly, Sonic games have launched at a discount for quite a while now...

That made sense considering how short most of those games were. Frontiers is supposedly longer, but Sega must feel like that price point is making the overall package more appealing.

2 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

If I get this game, it'll be the Switch version, so this won't apply to me at least.

Still a bummer for PC players though.

Yeah, I'll look forward for some sale discount on eshop in the distant future.

2 hours ago, PickleBrows said:

I'm kinda surprised they didn't announce a collector's edition for this tbh.

I am 100% with you on this. Roll on the physical editions.

No doubt with the bonus of a Sonic Movie 2 "baby knuckles" keyring 🙄

Posted By: Megasis

Denuvo, in-game consumables, jarringly un-Sonic-like environment/character/enemy designs, Denuvo, empty hub worlds, rehashed zones *again*, weird combat mechanics, Denuvo… Sega is basically pleading with me to NOT buy this game, aren’t they? (Oh and in case I wasn’t clear, I hate DRM. Thanks a lot Sega, and enjoy your definitely lost sale from me.)