Awoo.

New Switch screens for Sonic Frontiers?

Hero of Legend

From the NA page of the Switch version:

screenshot01screenshot02screenshot03screenshot04screenshot05screenshot06

The images have customizable sizes so I went with 1280x720 as 1. I think that's the size the eShop usually displays them, and 2. it's also the most likely res anyway.

I don't remember these being there before, I think it was just the pics from the Partner Showcase Direct two months ago prior. And it's easier to tell it's the Switch version as you can see a lack of grass in the distance (far lower than in the higher-end versions IIRC), and the textures and low-res in spots, plus you see jaggies on the close-up grass blades, implying they're rendering the raw image at a lower-res (they're not going to show other versions at a notably low-res to show jaggies, that's a given).

Honestly looks really good for what it is. I think the other difference from the Direct footage was the lack of motion blur, which to some... might be a good thing? Depends on your tolerance and overall fondness for it. Hey if it helps performance and such, be my guest!

Thoughts?

Nice, the game looks colourful and decent on Switch, I hope it at least has a decent frame rate. Will probably be the highest selling version in the casual market. I find it odd how we got Lost World back on Wii U at 60fps and then since Nintendo versions have all been at 30fps

12 hours ago, John43 said:

Nice, the game looks colourful and decent on Switch, I hope it at least has a decent frame rate. Will probably be the highest selling version in the casual market. I find it odd how we got Lost World back on Wii U at 60fps and then since Nintendo versions have all been at 30fps

Lost World struggled maintain 60fps quite often. It didn't take many enemies to be on screen before the game started to chug significantly. The reason that Lost World could even target 60fps on Wii U though was because of how simplistic the graphics in Lost World were. There was hardly any detail in the environments, because the levels were just the critical path with virtually no background activity. And despite still running on the same engine as Unleashed HD and Generations, numerous lighting effects were either reduced or removed entirely.

Subsequent games such as Forces, TSR and now Frontiers have much more detailed graphics than Lost World and are designed to take advantage of consoles much more powerful than Nintendo's contemporary platforms. Frontiers is being spread across 3 console generations (and PC) in terms of relative power: XS/PS5(/PC) at the high end, X1/PS4 in the middle and Switch at a very distant last. The Switch version may well have a steady framerate, but it won't go above 30fps and I'm guessing that it'll be sub-1080p docked and sub-720p handheld.

All that now said... These Switch screenshots don't show much, but they look pretty good. Forces Switch had hideously low res textures a lot of the time. Even though the lighting looked decent, everything was just so muddy. Frontiers Switch looks like a good improvement. I can only hope that it does maintain a stable framerate. 

• Thumbs Up 3