Awoo.

Radiohead vs Miley Cyrus and Kanye West

AdventChild

Whew! Sparks are flying now! Miley Cyrus, corporate cash cow Disney teen idol singer and Elementary School College dropout, Mr. Kanye West are dropping bombs on successful rock band, Radiohead b/c of the excuse that they dis them. In the end, Radiohead teaches them humility.

The Talented vs The Semi-/No-Talentless

When Radiohead refused to meet Miley Cyrus and Kanye West at the Grammy Awards last month, the starlet threatened to "ruin" them and the rapper refused to stand for their performance. Now the In Rainbows band is fighting back.

Cyrus kicked off the feudin' during an appearance on the Johnjay and Rich radio show and rambled on for more than six minutes about how the band dissed her after she begged her manager to set up an introduction.

"I'm like, these are the people I really want to meet," she said. "I'd freak out. They're my rock gods. These are the only people that I would cry over…My manager asked and said, 'Miley's really obsessed. And they were like, 'We don't really do that.' "

She continued on in disbelief about the Thom Yorke band's lack of interest in meeting the Hannah Montana, admitting she was so disappointed about the diss, she left the show early.

"I left 'cause I was so upset," she said. "I wasn't going to watch. Stinkin' Radiohead! I'm gonna ruin them, I'm going to tell everyone."

The three-time Grammy winners responded by putting the teen in her place…

"When Miley grows up, she'll learn not to have such a sense of entitlement," the quintet said in a statement.

But the Radiohead beef buck doesn't stop there.

During the taping for his episode of VH1's Storytellers, West complained that Yorke snubbed him as well.

"When he performed at the Grammys, I sat the f--k down," the rapper said.

The British "Creep" singer, already in full retaliation mode, concluded a blog post on the band's website with a wink and a nudge to both stars. "Wish us all a safe journey if you still like us and you're not one of those people I have managed to offend by doing nothing," Yorke writes.

Yay and two thumbs up for Radiohead! Miley should just grow up and shut up and not try to 'ruin' more successful singers that are thousands times better than she is and not connected to a certain mouse. Besides, Disney pop stars are bad/so-so singers anyways with huge tween fan-bases and short lived careers after they past twenty or at least get their few years of fame. As for Kanye, 'meh' used to like some of his work, but not on his new album and he isn't that great of a singer IMO, better than Cyrus (has anyone seen his American Idol performance? Blech!).

Edited by AdventChild

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roareye Black

• Hawkz

• Remy

• TitanFifty

Bitch. The word you were trying to spell in the title was "bitch."

Hooray popular music artist drama.

Gonna go ahead and echo Strong Bad here with a resounding "who cares?" Rich people acting like they're in a badly written high school show on grandiose levels is nothing new, surprising, or important.

I've always kinda liked Kanye. He's kind of like Radiohead, good but overrated. :D

Anyone with something against Miley is good in my book, though. Where did this girl even come from?

Edited by Badnikz

"I left 'cause I was so upset," she said. "I wasn't going to watch. Stinkin' Radiohead! I'm gonna ruin them, I'm going to tell everyone."
Hahah, oh wow. What a brat. She says they're her rock gods and she doesn't even want to watch them, just because they sunbbed her? riiiight XD

Thom York :D

Also I whipped this up in honor of this occasion. Too easy.

radioheadmyley.png

How immature, oh well - she is a Disney pop singer after all. Plus she's 16, it's normal for such an age.

Gawd I can't stand Miley Cyrus. What a whiny little brat. >.< She really wants everyone to love her doesn't she?

As for Kanye..well, he's my fave rapper, but I do agree that he's praised a tad too much sometimes. Though it was awesome when he broke the camera of the Paparazzi. You gotta give him credit for that. XP

Radiohead? Overrated. Sorry, dun like 'em much. =[

Edited by Gabz Girl

Wow, a pretentious British indie band complaining about over rated American artists and vice versa....

Never thought I would see the day.... Oh wait!

The British "Creep" singer, already in full retaliation mode, concluded a blog post on the band's website with a wink and a nudge to both stars. "Wish us all a safe journey if you still like us and you're not one of those people I have managed to offend by doing nothing," Yorke writes.

THIS is why I love Thom Yorke

Hmm. all three suck balls, and need to learn to make good music. :)

However Radiohead suck for being too snobbish to be arsed to meet new people. If I was in a position to meet new people (Even whiny bitches) why not do it? The fact of the matter is they're on a very privilaged journey in their careers, if I was lucky enough to be considered a rock God, I'd spend my time getting good and funny memories. Maybe owning Hannah Montana in person, a quality way of putting someone down if they act like morons. But Radiohead DO suck, pretentious and actually not very good at making music. I agree they are amazingly talented, but they're not musicians since they just make noise with no point. Yawnsville Arizona.

As for Hannah Montana and Kanye, everyone else said how much they suck in the rest of this topic, and they do. If they all stopped making 'music' the world would be a far better place.

Roareye Black.

I've always kinda liked Kanye. He's kind of like Radiohead, good but overrated. :D
I second that motion.

No comment on Cyrus though; we all know her franchise is built on ten year olds.

However Radiohead suck for being too snobbish to be arsed to meet new people. If I was in a position to meet new people (Even whiny bitches) why not do it? The fact of the matter is they're on a very privilaged journey in their careers, if I was lucky enough to be considered a rock God, I'd spend my time getting good and funny memories. Maybe owning Hannah Montana in person, a quality way of putting someone down if they act like morons. But Radiohead DO suck, pretentious and actually not very good at making music. I agree they are amazingly talented, but they're not musicians since they just make noise with no point. Yawnsville Arizona.

As for Hannah Montana and Kanye, everyone else said how much they suck in the rest of this topic, and they do. If they all stopped making 'music' the world would be a far better place.

Roareye Black.

I would have to agree with Roareye on this one. I have no interest in these 3. Personally, I prefer classical music, as well as Japanese music. There are 3 bands I do like however:

Dragonforce

The Beatles

Crush 40

Being a former musician myself, I have a good idea what music is. Any band who just makes noise and calls it "music," well, doesn't deserve my attention.

they're not musicians since they just make noise with no point. Yawnsville Arizona.

How is this pointless noise?!

I guess the fact that Radiohead are one of my fave bands is clouding my judgment here. The fact is, Miley just thought she could "arrange" to meet with a band she apparently likes (can clearly see their influence on her music...) as she thinks THAT much of herself.

Point is, Miley's a spoiled bitch who throws a tantrum whenever she gets her way. Kanye's still an arrogant dick,a nd Thom remains a legend

I would have to agree with Roareye on this one. I have no interest in these 3. Personally, I prefer classical music, as well as Japanese music. There are 3 bands I do like however:

Dragonforce

The Beatles

Crush 40

Being a former musician myself, I have a good idea what music is. Any band who just makes noise and calls it "music," well, doesn't deserve my attention.

wait.

You agree with Roareye that what Radiohead is "noise," and yet you like Dragonforce?

10fails.

However Radiohead suck for being too snobbish to be arsed to meet new people. If I was in a position to meet new people (Even whiny bitches) why not do it?

If I was in the position to meet an annoying bitch, I'd rather not. But hey, we all have our ways of dealing with things.

The whole situation is silly. Kanye and Miley are taking it waaaay too seriously.

Sigh.

However Radiohead suck for being too snobbish to be arsed to meet new people. If I was in a position to meet new people (Even whiny bitches) why not do it?
Why should they put Miley Cyrus or Kanye west above regular people? Because they have money? Because they have fame?

If asked Radiohead to have dinner with me, I wouldn't expect them to say yes. Miley and Kanye shouldn't think so high of themselves.

Also Radiohead haters GTFO you have no taste in music. :P

I just youtube'd Radiohead just to make sure I wasn't saying the wrong thing. First song that appeared as a real PV, I clicked.

It was this disgusting, warbling piece of shit.

This song was disgusting in every sense of the word. No emotion in the lyrics (does this guy sound like he gives a shit about his own music?), no real rythem, retarded use of distortion... sheer pretentiousness oozes from the video clip itself...

Now, just to prove my point here, I chose a song by a band that is currently in the top #40 in Australia.

#2 Hope It Gives You Hell - All American Rejects

This song might not click with anyone, but it certainly has a rythem, it has understandable lyrics, no crappy distortion for "artistic effect" (LOLWUT?!?!) you can tell the artists have fun making the song...

Edited by Hawkz

How is this pointless noise?!

Funnily, the new Youtube laws about music videos in the UK has restricted me form that video. It's saving my ears from bleeding. If you give me the name of the track I will find and listen to it. But bear in mind I OWN Kid A and OK Computer albums on CD and that I've heard all manner of other terrible crap by them. You'd have to fetch a pretty damn good song to change my mind.

I guess the fact that Radiohead are one of my fave bands is clouding my judgment here. The fact is, Miley just thought she could "arrange" to meet with a band she apparently likes (can clearly see their influence on her music...) as she thinks THAT much of herself.

Point is, Miley's a spoiled bitch who throws a tantrum whenever she gets her way. Kanye's still an arrogant dick,a nd Thom remains a legend

Did you see me dispute that Miley's a bitch? I remember saying that she sucked too. Maybe your Radiohead side is clouding your view on my overall point which wasn't "Miley is so amazing, why did Radiohead not see her?", in fact it was "Miley sucks and shouldn't be such a twat, but what stuck up pricks Radiohead are if they have no interest in meeting their fans."

Why should they put Miley Cyrus or Kanye west above regular people? Because they have money? Because they have fame?

I never stated to put them above regular people. Well done for embellishment. You have won the Tabloidz. Point is that regardless of who they are, a fan is a fan and that fan is helping PAY for you to live. I work in a supermarket and the most important people are the customers because they are ultimately the people who pay my wages. If a customer asked me for help but I told them to go stick it because I felt they weren't important enough to speak to me, I'd lose customer base. There's no real difference here, and adding some opinionated crap about "But Thom Yorke is teh uber awesome" doesn't change that fact. If you don't want to meet your fans, you shouldn't be in the music industry, or any entertainment medium, period. You didn't accept that snobbish bollocks from Brittany Spears, why do you accept it from Radiohead?

If asked Radiohead to have dinner with me, I wouldn't expect them to say yes. Miley and Kanye shouldn't think so high of themselves.

Okay, in the fear of sounding like I'm defending Kanye and Miley, which I'm not, the fact is this point is entirely irrelevant. Neither asked for special attention or to go to dinner with the band. The band was already AT the Grammy Awards with the other two artists. They were already backstage, they were already right next to one another. Snubbing someone at that range is pointless and just an ego trip. Please explain what decent reason there is to be next to a fan, the fan wants to say hello and you brush them off because they are so unworthy. How pretentious do you need to be?

Miley and Kanye are also in the wrong, they reacted to it like 5 year olds, especially Miley. Basically don't buy their music, tell them they suck balls and move on. Making long term songs and dances over it with crap like "I will ruin them!" (Because as we all know, the true power of Hannah Montana eclipses that of Radiohead :rolleyes: ) only serves to reduce their dignity.

Also Radiohead haters GTFO you have no taste in music. :P

Interesting perspective. I didn't see any Radiohead haters generalising Radiohead fans, but perhaps I should. However to keep this topic out of flame territory I shan't. Don't act like a child yourself in defence of your band, otherwise you'll be no better than Miley Cyrus :)

I just youtube'd Radiohead just to make sure I wasn't saying the wrong thing. First song that appeared as a real PV, I clicked.

This song was disgusting in every sense of the word. No emotion in the lyrics (does this guy sound like he gives a shit about his own music?), no real rythem, retarded use of distortion... sheer pretentiousness oozes from the video clip itself...

Said better than I have said it. Pointless and annoying distortion, no rhythm, crap sound quality and a lyricist that sounds like he's more interested in the smell of glue and watching paint dry than he is in his own music.

I'm not saying the mixture of noises can't be melded into music, indeed there is a deep well of creativity in that field, just Radiohead don't do it well at all. They get their fanbase from people going "My God he switched pointlessly from C to G, despite the fact it sounds horrible I can't help but admire the talent! This is the best band ever!" rather than a genuine ability to create msuic out of the vacuous noise they create. For a better version of what Radiohead are attempting, view an English artist named Amon Tobin. It's not rock btw children :)

Amon Tobin mixes sounds he's recorded from several areas which includes the sound of flies, motorcycle engines and drips of water but blends them into heart pumping music.

At The End Of The Day -

Esthers (Music based on seaside sounds surprisingly and was in Top Gear) -

Oddly I could only find the music in low quality (Live) on Youtube from a Bellydancing contest, but hell gives you someone fit to look at (She is hot) but I did discover his music influenced modern tribal bellydancing :)

The Killer's Vanilla -

The Foley Room -

He has a motion of rhythm and technical quality that Radiohead can't match. Radiohead have talent, I can't deny that, but when it comes to application of talent they just can't match this guy. Nor most other bands for that matter. There's a difference between technical ability and musical skill. Radiohead have all the technical ability in the world, but none of the musical skill to make compelling music. I would like them if they could just add some skillful rhythm to their music. As you can hear from Tobin's stuff it's very archaic and similar on several levels to the stuff Radiohead produce, but because it focusses on enjoyment of sound quality over technical wizardry it ends up as a better final product.

Roareye Black.

nteresting perspective. I didn't see any Radiohead haters generalising Radiohead fans, but perhaps I should. However to keep this topic out of flame territory I shan't. Don't act like a child yourself in defence of your band, otherwise you'll be no better than Miley Cyrus
I was joking man. Not serious. hence the :P

Neither asked for special attention or to go to dinner with the band. The band was already AT the Grammy Awards with the other two artists. They were already backstage, they were already right next to one another. Snubbing someone at that range is pointless and just an ego trip.
Miley got her manager to ask them for a meeting, they declined, she went crazy over it. She asked for special attention. So yeah. you mentioned the customer asking for help, yes I agree serve the customer, but if the customer got someone to ask you to meet them while you're not working? I think you have the right to decline.

Kanye on the other hand, was indeed snubbed, and I think that was a dick move. Would it have killed them to say hi? Say what you want about Kanye, but it when it comes down to it, if he was there and they were there, they should've acknowledged him.

Basically, I like seeing Miley Cyrus put in her place!?!

This song might not click with anyone, but it certainly has a rythem, it has understandable lyrics, no crappy distortion for "artistic effect" (LOLWUT?!?!) you can tell the artists have fun making the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpblnsJEWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeLAELIxKY

???

Their new stuff is pretty ass though, yeah. Everything after OK Computer is pretentious electronic trash.

Can't really compare All American Rejects to Radiohead though. happy generic post blink 182 pop punk band verus mopey British grunge/ (now) electronic band. Oh course Gives you Hell is more fun, it's pop punk! :D

Roareye Black.

*facepalm*

Ugh, I'm sorry, but that was so painful to read... you have absolutely no idea of what music truly is, not even in the 'conventional' sense of it. (I'd post a follow-up to that, but 1) too tired (it's 6 AM here, haven't gone to bed yet), and 2) it would derail the topic even further) Anywho...

Lawl, I didn't know Miley was that much of a bitch - holy shit. That's just downright pathetic. :/

Not sure what Kanye's problem is though, the article didn't really explain it.

Edited by Blash

I will concede your points there Remy, well played :) I guess asking your manager to do a set up is a bit "Talk to me, I'm a star!", however Kanye was at least a bit more mature about it, even if he didn't need to broadcast it. If it was me, I wouldn't have stood up for them either, but then you leave it. You don't then go on radio and go "They didn't like me, dont like them now :("

Though I have to say I heard the opening track from Kid A and thought it was alright, not sublime but it is an opening track. Bought the rest of the album and was majorly disappointed. Then my friend convinced me to get OK Computer, and that was an even worse album. They're no good at mixing their stuff with electronics either, maybe they should try sticking to playing normal music because they have skills in that area at least, cos they certainly can't create innovative music the way they're going at this moment.

Ugh, I'm sorry, but that was so painful to read... you have absolutely no idea of what music truly is, not even in the 'conventional' sense of it.
That just shows how little you know of me. Considering I listen to a very varied range of music from different areas and different cultures from varying styles. From dance to country to spoken word to metal and further.

But at least you got it right that Miley is a bitch.

What you listen to doesn't pertain to your knowledge of music in general - the things you said in that post shows that.

Ehh, I'll just start up a music topic later today so we can discuss this without derailing a topic :P

Edited by Blash

In Rainbows was shit, if you dont count All I Need and Bodysnatchers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkeVkYq8Es

Two of their better works imo

Radiohead for me is a pretty good band, although they're not really a band you just pick to listen to in your iPod, they're far more complex than that. Like Robert Christgau said on his Kid A and Amnesiac reviews, "Sadness made pretty" and "makes sense if you're really feeling down in the mouth". They got a complex mindset you dont really reach in without understanding the songs.

Personally I'm more into Muse however. Even though I like both bands.

Kanye is alright but I dont listen to his music. Miley can go suck a rock.

/Thread.

But seriously, who really gives a crap about Miley Cyrus. If she wanted to be taken seriously by musicians, she shouldn't have sold her soul to Disney.

Kanye West....he destroyed Daft Punk. Aside from that, I think the clash in music genres could have justified why Radiohead didn't want to meet him.

Still, they shouldn't be so up their own arse. They aren't that great at all.