Awoo.

What do you do if a Sonic game turns out to be bad?

Rabbitearsblog

So, if a Sonic the Hedgehog game turns out to be bad for you, what do you do?  Do you leave the franchise? Do you wait until another Sonic game comes out to give it another chance?  Or do you just read the comics or watch the movies and TV shows to get your fill of Sonic the Hedgehog elsewhere?

For me, whenever a Sonic game turns out to be bad, I just read the comics and watch the movies and TV shows to make up for my disappointment with the game.  If another game does come out, then I usually set my expectations low so I don't get disappointed too easily if the game turns out to be bad.  Although, I always do hope for the game to do better than the last bad game.

I just play any another game and move on with my day. It's not like Sonic is the only franchise me and most people rely on.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I will just move onto other games/things I am interested in until they hopefully eventually have a game that actually appeals to me again. I'm not the type to permanently swear off something just because it's burned me too many times, I'm willing to at least see what is being offered and give it a chance to redeem itself. Given enough time, maybe they'll put out something that I like again.

That said, I'm not really a guy who likes to read comics, nor do I like episodic cartoons, so the non-game media for Sonic is not where I'll be investing my interest in those times where there are no good Sonic games for me to enjoy. The movies are alright, but at the end of the day, they're not gonna be the thing that keeps me invested in the franchise either. The only thing that keeps me around when the new games are bad, are the old games that I still like. And no amount of complaint about my cynicism towards this franchise will take away my right to enjoy it for the parts of it I like. That said, these days I take more of an apathetic approach towards what I see as the franchise's missteps.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do what I did with Sonic Forces:

Feel disappointed, but move on. I have other games I could play, including other Sonic games I like.

Being dramatic because the new thing was bad feels like a waste of time. We live short lives, might as well spend it doing something fun.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

31 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

I do what I did with Sonic Forces:

Feel disappointed, but move on. I have other games I could play, including other Sonic games I like.

Being dramatic because the new thing was bad feels like a waste of time. We live short lives, might as well spend it doing something fun.

I feel the exact same way.  I also played lots of other games besides Sonic that I really enjoyed.  Like for example, I've been playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge and I really enjoyed that game!  I still need to play as Leonardo, Donatello and Master Splinter, but I've been having lots of fun with that game.  I also love to play the older Sonic games in my spare time, like Sonic Mania and Sonic 3 and Knuckles.  I always felt that it's a waste of time complaining about a bad game in the Sonic franchise when there are other good Sonic games out there that you can play instead.

It depends on the flavor of bad it is. You can have games that are entertainingly bad like 06 or Shadow that I like to pull off the shelf and have a good laugh with it, you have genuinely unplayable manure like GG Spinball that I avoid like the plague and right in the middle you have the aggressively mediocre Sonic Forces, that just kinda exists. Anyways aside from Mania I haven't bought a Sonic game full price in years, I'm just the patient sort who waits for the dust to settle before seeing for myself what the fuss was all about, file it into one of the above categories and more forward.

35 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

It depends on the flavor of bad it is. You can have games that are entertainingly bad like 06 or Shadow that I like to pull off the shelf and have a good laugh with it, you have genuinely unplayable manure like GG Spinball that I avoid like the plague and right in the middle you have the aggressively mediocre Sonic Forces, that just kinda exists. Anyways aside from Mania I haven't bought a Sonic game full price in years, I'm just the patient sort who waits for the dust to settle before seeing for myself what the fuss was all about, file it into one of the above categories and more forward.

I'm the same way.  I tend to just wait for the reviews to come in for the games before I actually pick them up.  Like for Sonic Colors Ultimate and Sonic Origins, it might be awhile before I pick up those games due to the mixed receptions they got.  But, since they are being patched up, I might pick up those games after the patches are done.  But other than that, if a game is getting a lot of praise, then I'll pick it up at full price.  But, if the game is getting a lot of hate, I either won't pick up that game or I'll just wait until the prices go down to pick it up and see for myself if the game is actually that bad.

XD If it's bad, I play it and talk about it on Stadium content. If it's good, I play it and talk about it on Stadium content. If it's a browser game designed to go with a McDonalds Happy Meal promotion, I play it and talk about it on Stadium content.

• Chuckle 5

I would just move on. There's no point in ranting and raving about how bad it was. Save your breath and just play another game, watch Tv, or whatever else you find entertaining. If I were to get a Sonic game and it was that bad, I would just go and play Kirby and the forgotten land. There's no use crying over it, that's a waste of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, if a Sonic the Hedgehog game turns out to be bad for you, what do you do?  Do you leave the franchise? Do you wait until another Sonic game comes out to give it another chance?  Or do you just read the comics or watch the movies and TV shows to get your fill of Sonic the Hedgehog elsewhere?

Why does it feel like this topic is a reaction on the controversy that happened in the "story" trailer topic of the Frontiers game? XD some really outspoken opinions there.

Maybe I haven't played that many Sonic games that were actually BAD by my book. Zero gravity was a let down to me coming off of the OG Sonic Riders and Forces a big disappointment, but it also was my first game playing Sonic games again after an 11 year long hiatus so I wasn't so prejudiced about what came before it. Some might say I dodged a bullet avoiding the slum that was Sonic lost worlds, boom, colors ultimate, forces at release.

Will I leave the franchise after a bad game? No. I'll be disappointed and I'll probably invest my effort thinking about how it could have been better. I'll give the next game another fair chance to try recapture the hearts of the fans, but I'm not harboring the illusion there will be the perfect Sonic game that appeals to all the fans. The trailer topic is testament to that.

Besides, there's too much good stuff in the franchise to quit it outright. The comics are hitting their stride, the fanart is incredibly prolific, the voice acting hasn't been better, the Songs are ALWAYS ON FIRE!

3 minutes ago, Duelistic Nature said:

Why does it feel like this topic is a reaction on the controversy that happened in the "story" trailer topic of the Frontiers game? XD some really outspoken opinions there.

Maybe I haven't played that many Sonic games that were actually BAD by my book. Zero gravity was a let down to me coming off of the OG Sonic Riders and Forces a big disappointment, but it also was my first game playing Sonic games again after an 11 year long hiatus so I wasn't so prejudiced about what came before it. Some might say I dodged a bullet avoiding the slum that was Sonic lost worlds, boom, colors ultimate, forces at release.

Will I leave the franchise after a bad game? No. I'll be disappointed and I'll probably invest my effort thinking about how it could have been better. I'll give the next game another fair chance to try recapture the hearts of the fans, but I'm not harboring the illusion there will be the perfect Sonic game that appeals to all the fans. The trailer topic is testament to that.

Besides, there's too much good stuff in the franchise to quit it outright. The comics are hitting their stride, the fanart is incredibly prolific, the voice acting hasn't been better, the Songs are ALWAYS ON FIRE!

Oh no. This was a question that I wanted to ask for a long time and it's been something that's been going on with the franchise for a long time.  But yeah, I noticed there is a lot of discourse surrounding Sonic Frontiers, which I'm not surprised about because every time a new Sonic game comes out, there's always going to be discourse surrounding said new game, even if said new game hasn't come out yet.  That's why I've been avoiding the Sonic Frontiers topic ever since the game was first announced because I just didn't want to get involved in that drama and I wanted to wait until the game actually comes out before I judge it.  

But anyway, I also wouldn't leave the franchise, even if the games are bad.  Sure, there was a time where I almost left the franchise because of Sonic Forces, but when the movie came out, I came back into the franchise and now, I've been enjoying the comics, the movies and the TV shows as of late.  Also, there's other games besides Sonic that I could be playing instead, so I just don't get hung up over a bad game.

I don't buy it, then I see it for free as a PS Plus monthly game, download it, then I probably won't play it anyway

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan 3,183 said:

cry.

I probably be crying out about why this game wasn't set up this way in the first place.

At this point I always get disapointed but never surprised. I think the last time I was genuinly surprised by how awful a Sonic game was was Sonic 06. After that, no matter how promising a new game looks I always keep it in the back of my mind that it's a good chance that it will turn out to be bad.

11 hours ago, batson said:

At this point I always get disapointed but never surprised. I think the last time I was genuinly surprised by how awful a Sonic game was was Sonic 06. After that, no matter how promising a new game looks I always keep it in the back of my mind that it's a good chance that it will turn out to be bad.

And what happens if the game turns out to be good?

26 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

And what happens if the game turns out to be good?

I mean, Sonic Mania happened. So I can wager one would be pleasantly surprised and enjoy a genuinely great experience, and then sit back and anticipate the next game be bad at worst or mediocre probably, at best. 

I shrug.

But honestly, I haven't really bothered with Sonic for a while. Somewhat interested in Frontier, but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

If Frontiers doesn’t do well, it would probably be best to put Sonic on ice. Maybe then people will forget the past mistakes Sonic Team and Sega has made and forgive them. Maybe. At the very least Sega wouldn’t have so much negativity around their brand all the time. 

2 hours ago, Starnik said:

If Frontiers doesn’t do well, it would probably be best to put Sonic on ice. Maybe then people will forget the past mistakes Sonic Team and Sega has made and forgive them. Maybe. At the very least Sega wouldn’t have so much negativity around their brand all the time. 

That's what happened with Sonic Forces.  SEGA didn't make any Sonic games for over 5 years after its poor performance.  But fans still complained about the fact that there hasn't been a new Sonic game for a long time, despite the fact that Sonic Forces turned out to be a bad game.  Even if Frontiers turns out to be bad, I would imagine that there would be many fans who still complain about getting a new Sonic game, even if SEGA put the series on ice for awhile.  Not to mention, since the movies are doing very well, the new fans from the movies would want something to get into the franchise, so I imagine that SEGA would push out a Sonic game anyway, even if the quality is bad (which I seriously don't want them to constantly put out bad games).

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

That's what happened with Sonic Forces.  SEGA didn't make any Sonic games for over 5 years after its poor performance.  But fans still complained about the fact that there hasn't been a new Sonic game for a long time, despite the fact that Sonic Forces turned out to be a bad game.  Even if Frontiers turns out to be bad, I would imagine that there would be many fans who still complain about getting a new Sonic game, even if SEGA put the series on ice for awhile.  Not to mention, since the movies are doing very well, the new fans from the movies would want something to get into the franchise, so I imagine that SEGA would push out a Sonic game anyway, even if the quality is bad (which I seriously don't want them to constantly put out bad games).

The fans might complain about not getting a new game. But it’s better to go without a new game than to get a bad one. Sonic is still haunted from the stink of Sonic 06. New fans can play old games in the mean time. 

21 hours ago, Starnik said:

The fans might complain about not getting a new game. But it’s better to go without a new game than to get a bad one. Sonic is still haunted from the stink of Sonic 06. New fans can play old games in the mean time. 

So, how long would Sonic have to be put on ice before the fans start complaining about getting a new game?