Awoo.

Should Paramount Release a #TailsCut of Sonic Movie 2?

MGA_Gamer

As a Tails fan, I was not happy with how Tails was handled in Sonic Movie 2.

Sure, his characterisation was great, and I love the scene with him and Sonic in the bar. But for the most part, he just took a back seat to Sonic and Knuckles, His backstory was barely touched upon, and he even disappeared for a good chunk of the movie after the wedding scene.

I wish Tails got more focus/screen time in this film. That's why I started this topic, to discuss weather Paramount should release a new cut of the film that gave Tails more time to shine, and if so, what would be changed?

Me personally, I would...

• Expand Tails' backstory, show us more scenes of him on his home world, show how he was bullied because of his mutation and how he was inspired by Sonic to be brave and not be ashamed of his twin-tails or his intellect.
  • Have more scenes with him and Sonic travelling the world before the Siberian bar scene. Have them visit multiple temples before they ultimately find the compass. This would also give more time to developing Sonic and Tails' friendship, maybe have them save each other from various obstacles/booby traps and let their dynamic really develop and shine.
  • Drop the wedding scene. It isn't necessary and just serves to pad out the film (Which is already just over two hours long so what was even the point?).
  • Tom and Maddie would still go to Hawaii, but for a private vacation rather than a wedding. Tails would still be knocked out by Robotnik, but when they reunite with the humans, have Maddie use her veterinarian skills to revive Tails almost immediately so that he's not out for long.
  • The scenes with Sonic and Robotnik/Knuckles would be relatively unchanged, but with Tails joining Sonic in the labyrinth temple with the Master Emerald and having him trying (And ultimately failing) to stop Robotnik while the other two fight.
  • Tails then gets captured by Robotnik and taken with him to Green Hills, but escapes and finds the biplane, which belongs to Crazy Carl (Which gives the latter a moment of greatness in this film too).
  • Keep the deleted scene when Tails meets wade for the first time. They didn't need to cut that!
  • Everything else would be pretty much the same, but with some scenes lengthened or shortened to make more room for these changes.
  • And of course, More hugs between Sonic and Tails! (Because why not!).

#ReleaseTheTailsCut 

In the cases of other Movies that received extended cuts, it was because several scenes that may have been originally intended for the movie were filmed but scrapped for the final product.  Ex. the SnyderJustice League and X-Men DOFP Rogue cut. Did Sonic 2 have this happen with Tails’ scenes?

27 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

In the cases of other Movies that receiver extended cuts, it was because several scenes were filmed  but scrapped for the Final product. Did Sonic 2 have this happen to it with Tails’ scenes?

I'm not sure. I know there was concept art of Sonic and Tails visiting a library of some sort that didn't make it into the film. Some of these changes wouldn't require much work, just new VO recordings, New CGI scenes and locations or bringing some actors that were absent for this film to shoot new scenes. Some scenes would need to get re-shot, but it would require less money and effort than starting again from scratch.

At that point they might as well give Tails a bigger part in the third movie. A lot of the things you want to see would radically change the whole film.

22 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

At that point they might as well give Tails a bigger part in the third movie. A lot of the things you want to see would radically change the whole film.

I think that's the point I'm trying to make. Sonic 2 should've been about developing Sonic and Tails' friendship (with Knuckles as a bonus!).

Like I said, most of the film would remain untouched. Just a few changes like these would be enough to give Tails more prominence.

Also, if Netflix can re-shoot and re-edit new scenes for old seasons of Stanger Things, its not beyond the realms of possibility for Paramount to do the same here.

You'd then have Knuckles fans complaining that he didn't get enough of a spotlight. What you're suggesting isn't a different "cut," but a different movie altogether. It's a shame that Tails wasn't given as much development as you'd have liked, but there's such a wealth of official and unofficial content out there dedicated to Sonic and Tails as a duo that I find it hard to complain.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I'm not sure. I know there was concept art of Sonic and Tails visiting a library of some sort that didn't make it into the film. Some of these changes wouldn't require much work, just new VO recordings, New CGI scenes and locations or bringing some actors that were absent for this film to shoot new scenes. Some scenes would need to get re-shot, but it would require less money and effort than starting again from scratch.

I wouldn't call spending millions of dollars into what is essentially an entire different film than the one we got "not requiring much work"

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

You'd then have Knuckles fans complaining that he didn't get enough of a spotlight.

No, I'd still keep all of Knuckles' scenes as they are. Nothing about them would change. He'd still get a decent amount of screen time to himself.

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

I wouldn't call spending millions of dollars into what is essentially an entire different film than the one we got "not requiring much work"

It would still be cheaper than spending tens, or even hundreds of millions reshooting the entire film!

Not saying it will happen (or even should happen, depending on what Paramount has planned for Tails going forward), I just think it would be fun to speculate if they did.

Here's the thing though, the changes and additions you're suggesting could easily double the budget and size of the movie and would be disastrous for the already lengthy pacing. Sonic 2 isn't a short film, it's nearly two hours long and something's gotta give if you want a coherent film for a general audience. Removing the 10 minute wedding sequence is sort of a low-hanging fruit I see suggested a lot, but nothing constructive is said about how they'd formally introduce GUN and reiterate the central theme of Sonic taking responsibility for others.

You remove that, that's one less scene to remind the audience of the capability of Tom and Maddie to contribute; on a higher level, this seems like a good thing, but then you need to rewrite the climax and believably sell Sonic's feelings for Tails and Knuckles, people he just met, over his two parental figures that have risked themselves for him for two movies in order to get the Emeralds to respond to him. Otherwise you need to create another means/situation for the Emeralds to work. That's another rewrite, another shoot, another several months in post.

The point isn't that it's impossible or unnecessary to rethink these deliberate story beats, the point is that it isn't simply an easy couple of changes. This is a different movie with a different focus, theme and purpose. The Sonic movie is not and unfortunately will continue to not be a facsimile of the game universe, and I think a more constructive thought experiment would be to come up with a general "how would you make a Sonic film" discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Here's the thing though, the changes and additions you're suggesting could easily double the budget and size of the movie and would be disastrous for the already lengthy pacing. Sonic 2 isn't a short film, it's nearly two hours long and something's gotta give if you want a coherent film for a general audience. Removing the 10 minute wedding sequence is sort of a low-hanging fruit I see suggested a lot, but nothing constructive is said about how they'd formally introduce GUN and reiterate the central theme of Sonic taking responsibility for others.

You remove that, that's one less scene to remind the audience of the capability of Tom and Maddie to contribute; on a higher level, this seems like a good thing, but then you need to rewrite the climax and believably sell Sonic's feelings for Tails and Knuckles, people he just met, over his two parental figures that have risked themselves for him for two movies in order to get the Emeralds to respond to him. Otherwise you need to create another means/situation for the Emeralds to work. That's another rewrite, another shoot, another several months in post.

The point isn't that it's impossible or unnecessary to rethink these deliberate story beats, the point is that it isn't simply an easy couple of changes. This is a different movie with a different focus, theme and purpose. The Sonic movie is not and unfortunately will continue to not be a facsimile of the game universe, and I think a more constructive thought experiment would be to come up with a general "how would you make a Sonic film" discussion.

You're crushing my dreams man!

I wish I'd never started this topic in the first place!

1 hour ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Tom and Maddie would still go to Hawaii, but for a private vacation rather than a wedding. Tails would still be knocked out by Robotnik, but when they reunite with the humans, have Maddie use her veterinarian skills to revive Tails almost immediately so that he's not out for long.

The writers through two movies clearly like to subvert expectations with how they use their side characters. Everyone expected Maddie to go the vet route for Tails, but instead they gave her a chance to play the hero card and do something unexpected to help contribute to her overall importance to Sonic. Taking that away from her would be a disservice, and would pigeonhole her into medical support. 

Tails did get a good deal of screentime when all was said and done. He had a hero moment. He got a bonding moment. He got more than a few tech moments. He was insecure, he was reassured, he was left behind and then caught up. All the Tails boxes got checked and then some. Unless you went into the movie just expecting to see him everywhere, he was well represented. its not like he only popped up for a cameo and was on his way.

• Thumbs Up 2

I see only one way to improve Tails with relatively little changes: he's the one that saves Sonic from GUN.

Sonic gets captures, so does his human family, all of them, no bridezilla scenes. Tails is overlooked and he's not hurt (yet). So he's the one to fight GUN, saves Sonic and at very end he gets Maria-ed umm, I mean shoot. So Sonic leaves him with his family to get healed, goes fight Knuckles alone.

That's only easy fix to the movie without domino effect larger changes would cause. And even that would cost a little more than what we got, so maybe that would be out the window.

1 hour ago, MGA_Gamer said:

You're crushing my dreams man!

I wish I'd never started this topic in the first place!

I'm sorry he's being honest with you?

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I'm sorry he's being honest with you?

I guess I typed that out of frustration. I'm just so bitter about Tails getting demoted to extra midway through HIS OWN DAMN MOVIE!

16 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I guess I typed that out of frustration. I'm just so bitter about Tails getting demoted to extra midway through HIS OWN DAMN MOVIE!

I mean unless I'm missing something, pretty sure the movie is called ''Sonic the Hedgehog 2'', not ''Tails the movie''.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

I mean unless I'm missing something, pretty sure the movie is called ''Sonic the Hedgehog 2'', not ''Tails the movie''.

I mean his own introductory movie. Again, I just feel like Tails was just... there by the end of the film, and I have a horrid feeling that he'll just be... There, again come movie 3.

4 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Personally speaking, I don't think it's that difficult. They already have the sequence carried by Tails' gadgets, instead of chopping off the sequence entirely, they could easily have just made it that Sonic gets captured before he can unbury Tails from the snow, Maddie/Rachel then notice him when the G.U.N agents take Sonic and Tom away, and the sequence could then be based around Tails attempting to rescue Sonic.

The Wedding Scene doesn't do much of anything for the plot except introduce G.U.N to the mix, and you can easily retain that by keeping the sting aspect of the whole wedding, but having the proceeding rescue be removed and changed so Tails is in the focus. As things remain in the movie, it's a irrelevant 15-20 minute break that is only tangentially tied to the plot, and completely halts the very real stakes of Eggman and Knuckles about to get the Master Emerald. It's less about it establishing and reiterating key plot points and instead just feels like they pause the movie to focus on something else. 

Even if Maddie absolutely had to have been kept in the rescue, if it was at least Tails leading it, or Tails and Maddie working together to outsmart the G.U.N agents, you could still easily have given Tails a chance to shine here on his own merits. Hell, instead of the stupid Bridezilla scene that exists to try make a farce into a real 'aww' moment and falling flat on it's face, we could've even had a scene of Sonic and Tom locked up, with Sonic angry with himself about Tails being injured, and how badly things have been screwed up and Tom attempting to calm him down and reinstate that he trusts Sonic to do the right thing. Not only would it make the boat scene and the finale feel a bit more tied together, but also still give us Sonic reinterating the responsiblity theme without literally halting the movie for a sizeable chunk of time for something completely different.

That said, there's definitely no reason a 'TailsCut' should be made because as everyone mentioned, this is the original vision of the film, and what's being asked at this point is basically for another film to be made. And while I certainly think there's improvements that could've been made to Sonic 2, and there's flaws and pacing issues that could've been avoided, none of which really constitutes making a whole other cut of the film for the sake of giving Tails more spotlight. It is what it is, essentially. 

• Thumbs Up 3

While I agree that Tails could have done a bit more in the film, this sounds like an entirely different movie from the one that they just made.  If they made a Tails cut, then they would have to reshoot many scenes to make this work and that would cost the studio a lot of money.  Also, in order for a Tails cut to happen, it would have to be on a Synder Cut of Justice League level, meaning that A LOT of people would have to protest a cut to be made specifically for scenes with just Tails and at the moment, I don't see a lot of people really complain about Tails' role in the movie. Also, the reason why the Snyder Cut was released in the first place was because Zack Snyder was working on the Justice League before he was replaced by another director and therefore, his vision of the film didn't make it in the original 2017 version.  So, the Snyder cut was his version of the film before he was replaced.  This isn't the case with Sonic the Hedgehog 2.  In this movie, we still have the same writers and the same director from the first film and this was probably their vision of the movie from the very beginning.  The only way I can see a Tails cut happening is if the director and the writers wanted to make a cut all about Tails. But so far, I don't see them having any plans to do so.  But, I don't think it's the end of the world if the Tails cut doesn't get made.  We still have the upcoming Knuckles TV show and the third Sonic movie for the directors and the writers to make Tails into a bigger character than he was in the second movie.

• Thumbs Up 2