Awoo.

What do you think the NEXT Sonic game will be like?

Razule

Given that Iizuka hopes Sonic Frontiers will lay the foundation for the franchise's future in the same way Sonic Adventure did and the game looks like it's shaping up to be successful, what do you think it'll mean for the very next main series game?

New open-zones that are closer to the series' zanier styles? Less, but longer linear stages? Somehow reincorporating Cyber Space for another 100 old levels? Sonic Exploration Trois?

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty sure they're going to keep the combat and the open zone format, not sure they'll keep the linear cyberspace stuff.

I think we may be seeing some form of adventure game with big cities hubs and somewhat linear zones actually built into the hubs.

I think they're running out of material to rehash, so, hopefully, no more of that.

Iizuka has said he already knows what the next Sonic game will be, which I don't see how can be true unless the next Sonic game is already in development. Iizuka has also said that they intend to take good care of both classic Sonic and modern Sonic, suggesting that games for both series are coming sooner or later. Therefore, my guess is that the next game will be another 2D classic Sonic title.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we should wait until the game comes out before we make predictions about what the next Sonic game will be like.

That being said, I hope they learn the *right* lessons from Frontier's successes and failures.

• Fist Bump 1

I think the next 3D game will be a Frontiers sequel. Not exactly a "Frontiers 2" but with a similar formula. Maybe it won't have reused levels, depending on how much this aspect of Frontiers will be criticized

In terms of 2D games. Probably they will keep releasing games like Mania and Origins, but I would love to have a Sonic Advance collection or another modern-styled 2D game

• Thumbs Up 5

Cynical answer: It'll be absolutely nothing like Frontiers despite the company saying it will be and will either be something new or a return to an old formula to mixed/negative results.

Genuine answer: Frontiers successor, a game relating to the Movieverse, a mobile game, or another Classic styled game.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

1 minute ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Cynical answer: It'll be absolutely nothing like Frontiers despite the company saying it will be and will either be something new or a return to an old formula to mixed/negative results.

Genuine answer: Frontiers successor, a game relating to the Movieverse, a mobile game, or another Classic styled game.

The first answer is not totally unlikely. Sonic Heroes was supposed to be a series and never got sequels, Shadow the Hedgehog, too. There's a chance that if Frontiers fail, Sega will abandon everything and start from scratch all over again. (I don't think it will happen, though)

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd hope they keep the open zone, improve upon it, and actually have an additional playable character or two. If it's really supposed to be the new baseline going forward, they should be able to manage that. Right?

• Thumbs Up 5

Indigo rush gave me an idea so I searched for a sonic game generator. This was the first thing it generated:

Spoiler

Sonic & The Secret Rings: Unlimited Edition & Knuckles

Sonic dashes into an illusory world full of familiar challenges in the weirdest journey this side of the planet!

Tails has become hunted by the law. Tails left a note saying: "construct the unstoppable babylon sapphire before it's too late!"

Select from a whole team of heroes, including: Amy Rose, Tails, Antoinne, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Silver the Hedgehog, and of course, Sonic the Hedgehog.

Play the game in multiple modes:
---High Speed Running
---Cart Racing
---Puzzle Solving

Now available on Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Secret Mountain Zone
Carnival Manor Zone
Frozen Mountain Zone
Marina Battery Zone
Meteorpocalypse Zone

Summary of Game Bosses
-----------------------------------
Super Racer - Between its intense tentacles, fast gears, and tiny hangar, it makes for a tough fight, but you can hit it whenever its slow axes is open or when the entire machine is recharging at the end of its attack cycle.

Metal Fox - Uses its rocket 3 times before using its laser. Attack at the middle of its final attack, where it uses its turbine.

Metal Brawler - It always attacks with its precise cleavers or annoying smoke gun. It is easy to hit so attack away.

Super Snake - It always attacks with its precise frostthrowers or precise finger. It is easy to hit so attack away.

Egg Frigate - Use the opening when its cockpit is open. Watch out for its tiny finger.

Electro Impaler - You should have no problem avoiding its tentacles.

Super General - It only has one annoying fist. Attack when the whole machine is low.

New Sonic Game

https://perchance.org › sonic-game-...
Sonic Game Generator ― Perchance

Seriously though, I hope they expand and improve on the open zone and add more playable characters and go back to generations/colors graphic style or better.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Iizuka has said he already knows what the next Sonic game will be, which I don't see how can be true unless the next Sonic game is already in development. Iizuka has also said that they intend to take good care of both classic Sonic and modern Sonic, suggesting that games for both series are coming sooner or later. Therefore, my guess is that the next game will be another 2D classic Sonic title.

I mean, any good development would have ideas left over to use for the next title. So if the next game followed this format, I'm sure Sonic Team would be pulling out from that well. Though I dont doubt another 2D outing is on the way. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It really depends on how successful Sonic Frontiers is.  If many people loved the open world style of the game, then I imagine that the next Sonic game will be an open world based game.  Hopefully, if that is the case, they could start improving on the graphics of the games, just like they did for Sonic Unleashed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The next Sonic game after Frontiers will be a 2D Modern Sonic game that could be seen as a spiritual successor to both the Classic Sonic mainline games and the Sonic Advance Series. It will be 2D but will have multiple playable characters and a significant story including at least an animated intro and outro, possibly more.

The next 3D Sonic game will be an evolution of Frontiers. It will be an open world game with an emphasis on combat, but the combat will be significantly modified to flow more smoothly. A lot of the Frontiers moves seem to pause the action for a freeze frame before activating. The combat will be visually toned down with less anime-like moves.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 8/30/2022 at 2:27 PM, Cosmos Rogue said:

Iizuka has said he already knows what the next Sonic game will be, which I don't see how can be true unless the next Sonic game is already in development.

Likely. Most developers already have things in pre-production when they're closing in on production of a current title. Usually already with a small handful of developers working on testing specific mechanics and features. Maybe a rough draft of a couple of levels.

Naturally, everything is subject to change. The Dark Lord already likely has an idea for what he wants. But this might be based off Frontier's gameplay. And if so, that likely means the direction could change pretty harshly if Frontiers is not positively received.

What I personally hope for is Frontiers 2(not neccesarily called that) maybe this time with more open zones say 10 but not as big as Frontiers. And instead of cyberspace stages you have stages that use the adventure formula sprinkled throughtout the map.

So basically what I am saying is I want the next game to be Frontiers 2 and SA3 simultanisly.

I also think about a "Frontiers 2", with those different stuff :

- It certainly will be 99% Frontiers 1 in term of gameplay and stuff. A bit like the following games reused (even if they modify) the framework of Sonic Unleashed a lot.

- This second game will certainly define more the "new era", and in a way Frontiers might be seen as having some "transitory" aspect, like some Classic elements where still in SA, and some "adventure-y" elements still in Unleashed.

- It will certainly have a brand new gimmick, but it's difficult to really know what it'll be before the game is really announced XD This addition might make some people angry.

- The "virtual area" aspect will certainly be removed, as it's certainly tied with the game story, and "cyberspace portals" and stuff like that would certainly be replaced by more traditionnal stuff to access smaller level. If they decide to make a "SA3-Frontiers", we might get more "Adventure-y" tropes for the Open Zone and the cyberspace stage, but they might decide to go back to a more "cartoony world" aspect, or something completely different. I'm not sure about level re-use, tbh, it's a possibility it continues.

- I'm not sure that the cyberspace levels will be that much larger. They might have reused assets or not, but I think they will kept being small-sized Sonic levels but plenty. But maybe I'm wrong on that XD

- With Iizuka talks about "unifying" the different sub-brand of Sonic (comics+cartoon+games), I wouldn't be that much surprised if we got some PNJ referencing the comics a bit. I'm not saying it'll happens too, nor that it's a 50%+, chance. It's a very small chance, but if it happens, I would find that logic with this strategy.

- About multiple character, it's a possibility (the RPG-y aspect might pose some questions here, because griding 6 character isn't the same as one), and if it happens I think only three thing would really need to change : the A+A action (instead of double jump, it would be flying/gliding), the stats, and the "combo attacks". But I'm not 100% sure it will happens, I just think that different character could work well within the framework provided by Frontiers, as they could keep most of the gameplay intact, whereas in the boost, having non-boost characters makes a lot of things change in the LD and stuff). On the opposite, the more complex gameplay style would certainly means more animations to replace, so more work on some aspects.

But I think we might get a "smaller game" before that, so it'll depends of with who they'll collaborate. Maybe a collection of other games, ports of games that aren't on modern consoles, a new 2D game (honestly a new modern 2D game would be something that would makes me happy !), or a new "sport/race game".

( Yes, all that to not really answer the question XD )

• Thumbs Up 1

Depends on the reaction to the open zone stuff. People wanted an "Unleashed with just day stages" and we got that with Colours. If history repeats and they want "Frontiers with just cyberspace levels" then maybe Sonic Team will just stick to the pseudo-boost style of those levels while putting in the actual effort to make original level themes and designs.

If its "Frontiers thats just the Open Zone" on the other hand, maybe Cyberspace takes a backseat, being de-prioritized if not outright removed to make way for larger, or more expansive islands. Especially if, by this point, Nintendo finally releases a more powerful successor to the Switch, the console that could barely run Forces.

Also, our hopes for other playable characters will be dashed once again. "Fans don't want to play as Tails and Knuckles", Iizuka will claim while citing some 20 year old forum post from user "GreenHillz4Eva!" as evidence.

• 3 weeks later...

*Multiple playable characters, one of them being Sage.

*Still an open zone, but a less barren one.  Give us settlements and more NPCs to talk to.

*Less depressing music in the open zones.

*Make Sonic's physics a bit tighter and more free, such as giving him freedom to wheelie far off an incline.  Premydaremy has said he tried that at the London demo and they hard-cap how high Sonic can soar based on that.  Maybe some cap for this is needed but I get the feeling it's only as limited as it is so they can force you to use dash pads, grind rails, and springs to get up high in specific places.  Less of these gimmicks and more of Sonic exploiting the terrain, please.

Edit: I just now realized that this thread is about what we expect; not what we want.  So to give a more appropriate answer, I expect more alterations to the series in order to attract a larger Japanese audience than Sonic usually gets.  We might still get Sage playable but aside from that I don't know what that really means.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it will be a game that will try to more closely marry Sonic's traditional gameplay with the open zone. They'll ditch the Cyber Space levels in favor of trying to put them into the open zone itself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So much of Frontiers was formed from criticism of the past games that I think it's hard to have a solid read on what's next until we see how people react to frontiers. It's definitely going to be similar to that game, but the ways it differs will probably come down to what people want them to keep and what they want them to throw away.

Signs point to smaller mobile game from hardlight on the horizon, and that was probably what Iizuka was speaking of when he said he knew what the next game would be. The 2D game by hardlight will probably be an extremely simplified take on Classic/Advance mechanics, with a lot of room for more playable characters so they can keep the monetization train from Sonic Dash/Sonic Forces going. I don't expect them to be too different from eachother in terms of ability, either. Maybe they'll be seperated in to classes based on Sonic, Tails and Knuckles's primary abilities like heroes but that's as far as they'll go with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2022 at 10:24 PM, King Conne said:

According to rumours, isn't the next game supposed to be a 2D game by Sonic Team with Shadow as a playable character?!...

I thought that rumour was disproved long ago?

1 hour ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I thought that rumour was disproved long ago?

There were 3 separated rumors of a 2D modern game. One came from an highly unreliable source, so it's not worth attention; another has been debunked (Sonic 5), and the third one (the one with playable Shadow) is still technically not debunked but the chances of it being real are very low anyway (it will be completely debunked when the next hardlight game is announced and it's not "genshin impact but sonic").

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Signs point to smaller mobile game from hardlight on the horizon, and that was probably what Iizuka was speaking of when he said he knew what the next game would be. The 2D game by hardlight will probably be an extremely simplified take on Classic/Advance mechanics, with a lot of room for more playable characters so they can keep the monetization train from Sonic Dash/Sonic Forces going. I don't expect them to be too different from eachother in terms of ability, either. Maybe they'll be seperated in to classes based on Sonic, Tails and Knuckles's primary abilities like heroes but that's as far as they'll go with it.

I hope you are wrong because this is something I really don't want. I'm waiting decades for a proper new Advance-like game and if it turns out to be a low effort cash grab gacha where every character plays the same, it would be my biggest delusion ever as a Sonic fan.

• Thumbs Up 1