Awoo.

If Shadow got his own comic series, how do you you think it would look?

MetalSkulkBane

I know, IDW has no plans for ongoing spin-off. And if they did, it would be Sonic Universe. Or maybe even Classic Sonic.

But if it was an actual spin-off, Flynn said many times that Shadow is only character popular enough to make it (and frankly, with enough story potential).

And yes, I know that current IDW Shadow has some... questionable rules about him.

So let's just play "dream scenario" card. We can even pretend that it's 2015 and it's Archie spin-off. How do image this would look? I mean, there are plenty challenges to ongoing book that single Sonic Universe arc doesn't have to tackle. I just can't image Eclipse as villain on Eggman level for example.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guergy

• Kuzu

• MetalSkulkBane

• StreetSonic2022

I would like to see a spin-off of the IDW universe, but currently I can't imagine what plot it would have, the only thing that comes to mind would be to bring out the Black Arms again something similar in Sonic Universe from Archie Comics or something related to the clones that has, that another Shadow appears affirming that it is the authentic one.

A Shadow elsewords story about Shadow and his Android empire causing mayhem for the people of Earth....

Shadow The Hedgehog #1

The Fake Paradise 

• 1 month later...

I would something similar in spirit to Mega Man Zero and Metal Gear Rising. I would really the story to focus Shadow with Sonic making only small appearances.

This one is tricky because of SEGA's rules on Shadow.

We can't have him with Rouge and Omega as Team Dark, unfortunately.

Black Arms are off-limits as Black Doom is dead and we can't use the Archie-exclusive stuff like Eclipse.

The only thing I can think of is the Shadow Androids but that needs to be worked on real good to get an engaging story.

Hopefully, that Shadow Chao stays with him though for the cuteness and mascot factor.

I wouldn't mind seeing a spinoff for Blaze or Metal Sonic.

As for Shadow, it'll have to depend on how they approach his backstory. Him having no memory could serve his search for the heart breaking answers.

For people who don't because of SA2 not being written well, and I'll place this in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Shadow knew Maria. If you listen well to Gerald's diary, he didn't finished Project Shadow until after G.U.N invaded the Ark.

The world 'i was able to finally finish Project Shadow ' as well as Rouge commenting on his memories not being real, heavily implies this.

I think exploring the above and building up to whether it's true or if his memories are indeed real, would be very awesome.

3 minutes ago, Guergy said:

Why does SEGA want Sonic to be his Shadow's rival constantly? 

I honestly don't know when SEGA started this whole thing about Shadow's only purpose being Sonic's rival.  Honestly, it's killing his character and I think that SEGA should drop this mandate.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:22 PM, Guergy said:

Why does SEGA want Sonic to be his Shadow's rival constantly? 

Probably because it gives Shadow an easy purpose to be around.

Don't think Shadow has enough substance to carry a book without GUN or Team Dark. 

SEGA won't allow him to have the sort of things that make for a better character like social connections outside of "ally for this battle in particular" or interests besides of obliterating the thing in his immediate path. 

For a monthly comic to work well it has to be about more than the next enemy to punch in the face. 

Guess if IDW's arm was twisted about it they could do something like Sonic Universe which stopped just short of being Shadow's spinoff book. And each arc would be a short multipart story about him trying to accomplish a particular thing that may involve either a one-off (which Shadow can obliterate) or recurring cast of villains. 

And that justification for Shadow going after the smaller-time villains compared to the fight between Eggman and the Resistance is that he's doing his work as the planet's protector while Sonic + Friends are taking care of the real threat in Eggman. To use an analogy there was an episode of Justice League Unlimited where Superman and the other Core Members were in another galaxy taking care of the real threat while the backups (who were called out for being the B-Team) fought the Villain of the Week. 

1 hour ago, Mobotropolis said:

Guess if IDW's arm was twisted about it they could do something like Sonic Universe which stopped just short of being Shadow's spinoff book. And each arc would be a short multipart story about him trying to accomplish a particular thing that may involve either a one-off (which Shadow can obliterate) or recurring cast of villains. 

Flynn touched upon this and said it's simply not sustainable long term; you would have to keep coming up with increasingly powerful opponents for Shadow to fight with that direction and puts the onus on them to make the conflict interesting. 

Shadow having his own team, and group with GUN made a lot more sense when he was positioned one of the main protagonists. But Sega have obviously scaled back on that idea, so you're left with a character who seemingly doesn't have much purpose anymore. Its a similar problem Knuckles has, except Shadow isn't even one of Sonic's friends, so it gives him even less incentive for him to show up for the sake of it. 

Its a weird hole they wrote themselves into.

They wouldn't have had this problem if they didn't restrict the stuff that was brought in Archie or limit the way the character was utilized.

Ian actually solved these problems before Sega went and even created them in the first place, so yeah, they basically just shot themselves in the foot over Shadow's portrayal when they really didn't have to.

I think Shadow's connection with Rouge and Omega will have to be fixed sooner or later. I mean, the whole lore is in process of getting fixed.

I mean, right now Shadow getting fixed is more likely than his comic. The whole point of this topic is "What if".

On 11/21/2022 at 1:24 AM, Kuzu said:

Flynn touched upon this and said it's simply not sustainable long term; you would have to keep coming up with increasingly powerful opponents for Shadow to fight with that direction and puts the onus on them to make the conflict interesting.

I kinda disagree with Flynn. I wouldn't choose this route, but if forced I think it could work. I mean, that is just the description of "Dragon Ball".

The only problem is that Shadow is shackled to Sonic, their power must remain equal, but there are ways to dance around it.

Dragon Ball isn't really known for its storytelling. And very often the conflict just delves into two action figures just slamming each other.

I like mindless violence as much as the next guy, but there's more you can do with a character like Shadow.

2 hours ago, Guergy said:

It makes me wonder why Shadow cannot be independent from Sonic? Shadow does not hate Sonic but it is not like he obsesses over him.

I meant power level. Shadow and Sonic must remain comparable. You can't have spin-off to outshine the main book, so Shadow cannot keep growing stronger and stronger.

Personally, I would just keep throwing varied villains, without stating if Shadow grows stronger. I mean, Chaos and Neo Metal are strong foes, but (at a first glance) you can't tell which one is stronger, nor Sonic grow by eventually beating them.