Awoo.

Future of Marine the Raccoon

Blazey Firekitty

What do you think of Marine? Was she a worthy addition, or a one note joke character? Should she be playable if there is another Rush game, or should stay as strictly part of the storyline?

I not only hope that she never comes back, but also that the person who thought she would be a great addition to the cast of Rush Adventure was fired.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think I might go insane and blow my head off if she ever had a full main-character role again. She was a tad... overkill, I guess you could say XD;

Yet, strangely, I'd kinda like to see her make a cameo appearance or two. She was fun, but in small doses only, plox ^^;

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I might go insane and blow my head off if she ever had a full main-character role again. She was a tad... overkill, I guess you could say XD;

Yet, strangely, I'd kinda like to see her make a cameo appearance or two. She was fun, but in small doses only, plox ^^;

I can understand why you'd feel that way, the running gag of her impulsiveness got old after a while.XD

But I guess she'd be more tolerable to most people if she got more development. Blaze has become less of a grouchy character and more cheerful over time, so maybe Marine can turn into a more mature, less joke-oriented character without completely changing who she is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't think I'd mind if she made a second appearance. She didn't bother me very much at all in Rush Adventure, actually, and she was developed enough over the course of the story that she'd probably be marginally less annoying in a future game anyway.

The series is definitely overflowing with characters, though, and her position as a Rush native means that the timeline issues that follow Blaze and Silver like a plague are a problem for her as well. Still, I'd like her to appear, or at least be mentioned, if the story ever returns to Blaze's dimension. It'd bother me if she just disappeared, y'know?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's her accent and insane hyperactivity which gets tiresome after a while, and if you toned down or removed those aspects, she wouldn't be the same character ^^;

I liked Marine's role in Rush Adventure.

If she was continuously a part though I think she'd get annoying fairly quickly. The good side is I think people realize she's annoying. I mean look wat Marine did to Shadow:

Shadowretarded.jpg

Captain Whisker and Johnny returning, along with Mini and Mum on the other hand...

Edited by Dusk the Crypt Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Eh, just keep her as an NPC and I'm fine with it, but as others said, too many chars in the franchise already.

I actually LOVED Marine. I thought she was hilarious!! I mean she is a cliche and all, but I loved her. I wouldn't even mind playing as her but that may make me never wanna see her again. I think a cameo would be best.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I actually thought she was quite charming and a really fun character to see around Blaze. Not to mention that she was pretty funny either way. But, keep he out of the games she doesn't need to be in, unless they're party titles. I can imagine her and Cream meeting another Rush instalment. They're both a bit thick but with all the right intentions.. and really different

EDIT: Yes! Playable Marine plz! And that voice. I MUST hear it!

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think Marine would be PERFECT for a party game. Sonic Shuffle 2 please? =D

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I think Marine would be PERFECT for a party game. Sonic Shuffle 2 please? =D

SatSR was a better Party game than Shuffle ever was, he says with a smug tone, despite having never played Sonic Shuffle for himself.

Damn... I wanna play Shuffle. =(

You know what? 06 would have bee a thousand time better is Marine was around to lighten the mood. An what are her abilities anyway? After Deep Core, did she throw a bubble of water at the Egg Wizard or what?

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It's pretty unclear. A bubble, a ball of energy, a glowing yo-yo... the graphics just aren't clear enough to tell.

I agree that she's a perfect character for spinoffs. She really ought to have been in Zero Gravity, considering how many non-Sonic characters have been in that series. Racing game voice clips are always irritating after a while, too, so I can't see how that'd be much of an issue.

"BONZA! GEAR CHANGE!"

Things don't look good for our Australianesque raccoon pal. First off, she's stuck on the other side of an interdimensional chasm, which means she can't just "show up" like Shadow or Knuckles can. Unless they change the nature of things, any plot appearance just about requires the parallel dimension system to be worked into the story somewhere. She's also not a very "big" character; she wasn't playable in her first and thus far only appearance, she doesn't appear to have that much to offer in terms of abilities. She's a low-grade mechanic, far outclassed by characters like Tails and Eggman, and has some sort of projectile attack she's used exactly once...she doesn't seem to be that far from completely ordinary. This, in a series where most of the cast has some sort of superpower or special ability. And plotwise there's nothing in particular to pull her in; as near as we can tell she's a perfectly ordinary girl with a fairly ordinary life (at least until Sonic and Tails showed up). The only significant reason she has to get involved is if she's tagging along with Blaze, which is still kind of shaky as there's no particular connection between them aside from being friends and being from the same world.

Also apparently people are more concerned with character quantity issues rather than character quality issues...

Shame, really, as I like Marine. She's a nice support character, helps take the edge off the story if things start getting "too serious".

• Thumbs Up 3

I didn't mind her too, and having played the Italian version, I didn't had to go through her silly accent. To me she was a nice character, even though I would prefer Captain Whisker to come back more.

Shuffle was an amazing game. Some may diss it, but playing it with my girlfriend over the course of a few weeks is possibly the most fun I have EVER had with a Sonic game.

Marine is the perfect sort of character for a mini-game based video game, in that you can choose to play as her if you want lots of her, choose to have her as an opponent if you want a little of her, and choose to not use her at all if you can't stand her XD Plus she's perfect for the repetitive 'sound-bites' that these kinds of games have XD;

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It's her accent and insane hyperactivity which gets tiresome after a while, and if you toned down or removed those aspects, she wouldn't be the same character ^^;

Maybe she'd be more useful if she directed all that energy in the villain's direction instead of towards her teammates.XD

But anyways, I like the idea of Marine showing up in a party game, mainly since I've really warmed up to the idea of Sonic based party games with the release of the recent Winter Olympics game, and with All Star Racing on the horizon. Mainly I just feel that it's nice to have games that show what Sonic characters are doing when they aren't "saving the world," and I agree that Marine seems perfect for that sort of laid back yet energetic game style.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Marine make a return after her role in Sonic Rush Adventure. I was actually pretty fond of her character, and I found her to be quite entertaining. Sure, a lot of people don't like her because she was...well, annoying. But she did develop quite a bit throughout the storyline, and in the end wasn't all too intolerable or impulsive as she was when the story began. This is even made note of by several of the members of the Coconut Crew (most notably, Setter), and if she were to make a reappearance I would assume that she would be much more toned down.

I also think they intentionally left us with a "zomg, wtf happen?" foreshadowing moment when

Marine shot that aqua-blue projectile from her fist at the end of the Egg Wizard battle in Deep Core

, and that definitely looks like something that may be elaborated upon if she were to make a reappearance.

So yeah. I would liek moar Marine.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Marine make a return after her role in Sonic Rush Adventure. I was actually pretty fond of her character, and I found her to be quite entertaining. Sure, a lot of people don't like her because she was...well, annoying. But she did develop quite a bit throughout the storyline, and in the end wasn't all too intolerable or impulsive as she was when the story began. This is even made note of by several of the members of the Coconut Crew (most notably, Setter), and if she were to make a reappearance I would assume that she would be much more toned down.

I also think they intentionally left us with a "zomg, wtf happen?" cliffhanger moment when

Marine shot that aqua-blue projectile from her fist at the end of the Egg Wizard battle in Deep Core

, and that definitely looks like something that may be elaborated upon if she were to make a reappearance.

So yeah. I would liek moar Marine.

It did kind of seem like they were planning something for her in a sequel, based on the development that she got. It'd be interesting to see what happens if there ever is a third Rush.

Captain Whisker and Johnny returning, along with Mini and Mum on the other hand...

I like the way you think. They're my favorite Eggman minions from the game series; Stereotypical robot pirates are amazing additions to this series, and I hope they return someday.

As for Marine, she neither impressed nor bothered me. If she returns, cool, I guess!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty much counting on Marine having at least one playable appearance sometime down the road. Probably not a plot-oriented one though, more likely for a multiplayer game or gametype where they can forget completely these silly plotholes and just have a character there for the sake of acknowledgement of existence. I'm also fairly curious as to what she actually sounds like, but I think it goes without saying that the Aussie accent could easily end up being overdone and cringeworthy in Sonic Team's hands. As to how she could play gameplay wise, well, that's anyone's guess at this point, given we know surprisingly little of her from a game that was pretty heavily plot-based as far as handhelds and 2Ds go.

In hindsight though all this DOES make me realize that this alternate-dimension stuff was a really stupid idea and that we'd be a lot better off without it. It'd be a lot less of a pain if ST didn't have to come up with some lame interdimensional anomoly or time-travel plot device as an excuse to re-use certain characters again.

I like the way you think. They're my favorite Eggman minions from the game series; Stereotypical robot pirates are amazing additions to this series, and I hope they return someday.

I kinda like Whisker and his crew due to the way they seem to give Blaze her own cast of villains who aren't evil to the extreme that Nega is. Nega is a cold, distant man who wants to destroy everything, so having to deal with him on a regular basis may have influenced Blaze to become as bitter as she was in the first Rush. While Blaze usually took on a stern tone with Whisker, she didn't threaten to murder him like she did the Eggmans, and even showed a slight willingness to playfully banter with him.

I figure this is because Whisker's not really a bad guy even if he commits bad actions. He seems to be a child in an old man's body, even occasionally having to be reminded by Mini and Mum of important details that he's forgotten.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thankfully, the future of Marine the Raccoon is looking bleak; with little scope for a Rush sequel, she seems set to be phased out by a myriad of other pointless and annoying characters. THANK GOD.

In my view, the removal of Marine from the series would mean only this: one down, four to go; that's the Raccoon out of the way, and now we only have Amy, Cream, Big and Charmy to deal with before the series is finally free from mindlessly idiotic sub-standard sub-characters. The quicker they fall, the happier I'll be!

• Bad Quality Post 4