Awoo.

Future of Marine the Raccoon

Blazey Firekitty

I don't own Rush Adventure, so I haven't experienced the character much. From what I can tell she seems cool enough, and not as irritating as people make her out to be. She's meant to be that way, which makes her better than other characterizations that have failed in the past. She seems like a nice foil to Blaze, and I'm interested to see more of her when I play through SRA. It's like Marine is new to me! Also, she's got a really nice design.

In my view, the removal of Marine from the series would mean only this: one down, four to go; that's the Raccoon out of the way, and now we only have Amy, Cream, Big and Charmy to deal with before the series is finally free from mindlessly idiotic sub-standard sub-characters.

: (

-------

Oh! And yes, I am all for the return of Whisker, Johnny, Mini, and Mum. They were really interesting characters from the get go (Robot pirates? An anthropomorphized shark...torpedo...barracuda...robot guy? Totally awesome!), and their over-the-top silly personalities were what truly brought a really shiny polish of greatness to them. They are also one of the select few antagonists than can make a reappearance, seeing as they weren't killed off in their debut game.

...and to prevent the derailment any further, I might as well make a separate topic about one-shot characters.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Regardless of one's opinion of the quality of her character, I don't think Amy can considered a sub-character. She's been part of the main cast since Sonic Adventure, if not before.

• Thumbs Up 2

In my view, the removal of Marine from the series would mean only this: one down, four to go; that's the Raccoon out of the way, and now we only have Amy, Cream, Big and Charmy to deal with before the series is finally free from mindlessly idiotic sub-standard sub-characters. The quicker they fall, the happier I'll be!

Amy has been much better as of late. And Big is made of glorious win.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of Marines design, is it just me, or is she the fattest female character so far? Not that she have a pot belly of the size a certain two-tailed fox does, that's for sure, but as i said, compared only to the other female characters...

She's just a form of comic relief to me. She's pretty cool to keep her just as a cameo character but not as one with a really big role.

I'd love to see her in the future! She's my favourite character to come out in recent years.

The only think preventing her from coming back is a voice actor I reckon!

She's like a combo of a young Sonic mixed with Tails.. the get up and go attitude with a developing mind and passion for machinery.

AuSsIe RePrEsEnT!

Marine can't be a one shot because of the issue left open with her kinetic abilities of some sort (I'm going to guess water, given the "marine" name and all).

Also too many characters my left foot. There aren't even a quarter as many Sonic characters as there are Transformers. Marine's perfect for the next multiplayer bash.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Speaking of Marines design, is it just me, or is she the fattest female character so far? Not that she have a pot belly of the size a certain two-tailed fox does, that's for sure, but as i said, compared only to the other female characters...

Blaze is kind of stocky compared to the other females, so I guess it's sort of fitting that some one she pals around with is a a bit on the chunky side.^_~

HOLAS:

Things don't look good for our Australianesque raccoon pal. First off, she's stuck on the other side of an interdimensional chasm, which means she can't just "show up" like Shadow or Knuckles can. Unless they change the nature of things, any plot appearance just about requires the parallel dimension system to be worked into the story somewhere. She's also not a very "big" character; she wasn't playable in her first and thus far only appearance, she doesn't appear to have that much to offer in terms of abilities. She's a low-grade mechanic, far outclassed by characters like Tails and Eggman, and has some sort of projectile attack she's used exactly once...she doesn't seem to be that far from completely ordinary. This, in a series where most of the cast has some sort of superpower or special ability. And plotwise there's nothing in particular to pull her in; as near as we can tell she's a perfectly ordinary girl with a fairly ordinary life (at least until Sonic and Tails showed up). The only significant reason she has to get involved is if she's tagging along with Blaze, which is still kind of shaky as there's no particular connection between them aside from being friends and being from the same world.

Also apparently people are more concerned with character quantity issues rather than character quality issues...

Shame, really, as I like Marine. She's a nice support character, helps take the edge off the story if things start getting "too serious".

THIS!

I kinda like Whisker and his crew due to the way they seem to give Blaze her own cast of villains who aren't evil to the extreme that Nega is. Nega is a cold, distant man who wants to destroy everything, so having to deal with him on a regular basis may have influenced Blaze to become as bitter as she was in the first Rush. While Blaze usually took on a stern tone with Whisker, she didn't threaten to murder him like she did the Eggmans, and even showed a slight willingness to playfully banter with him.

and THIS!... Also, I was recently playing super mario bros 3 and I can totally see Whisker (and Johnny) doing something as epic as that "ship levels" (except for the moving screen)... also, the boss fight against W&J in Rush Adventure was awesome... I would love to see more of that (with more, or none, VA instead of repeating the same phrase over 9000 times >_<)

Didn't Marine use the Staff to shoot the energy ball?

Nope,

the Jewel Scepter was in possession of the Egg Wizard (Eggman and Nega's mech) at the time being. It also couldn't have been the Chaos or Sol Emeralds, seeing as those were in possession of Sonic and Blaze.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I guesse she was an ok character,if not a bit anoying,but I don't think she should return. She kinda only worked as a one time cuz just one dosage of her hyperness is reely the only amount I can stand.

I liked Marine's role in Rush Adventure.

If she was continuously a part though I think she'd get annoying fairly quickly. The good side is I think people realize she's annoying. I mean look wat Marine did to Shadow:

Shadowretarded.jpg

Captain Whisker and Johnny returning, along with Mini and Mum on the other hand...

My sig, nuf said.

Edit: I really should say something about Marine. I'll just say she didn't bother me to much, but if she does apear again, it would be nice to learn that her mechanics skills have slightly improved.(But not as good as Tails! :lol: )

Edited by Chaos Walker

and THIS!... Also, I was recently playing super mario bros 3 and I can totally see Whisker (and Johnny) doing something as epic as that "ship levels" (except for the moving screen)... also, the boss fight against W&J in Rush Adventure was awesome... I would love to see more of that (with more, or none, VA instead of repeating the same phrase over 9000 times >_<)

Heh, yeah, I agree a homage to the "Doom Ship" levels from Mario 3 would be neat.^^

I haven't played RUSH ADVENTURE, so I really don't have an opinion of her from that standpoint, but I thought she was kind of funny in her comic book form. I wouldn't mind her appearing again, at least for the opportunity to give her a voice, which could add to her personality a little.

I haven't played RUSH ADVENTURE, so I really don't have an opinion of her from that standpoint, but I thought she was kind of funny in her comic book form. I wouldn't mind her appearing again, at least for the opportunity to give her a voice, which could add to her personality a little.

I thought that her "improvised" version of events in the comic was hilarious.

marineiscrazy.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I think my day's just been made. That's just about the most adorable thing ever.

If Marine ever does return, she needs to use the Sol Emeralds to transform into...

Ultra Marine.

*groan*

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm kind of in the middle with Marine. I don't like her, and I don't dislike/hate her. She was a nice and interesting addition to Sonic Rush Adventure, but she was also a bit annoying too. I'd love to see a Sonic Rush 3 (because 1 and 2 were epic), but if they do make one, they should probably leave Marine out, or improve on her character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Damn... I wanna play Shuffle. =(

I think it's average. Not as bad as they make it out to be and it had a lot of potential! However they'd have to fix the load time and the difficulty of the gameplay (you have be first all the time... and that CPU was out to get you)

The mini games were fun as hell. Man, best part of the game!

I'd never buy it, unless I was on a Sonic binge (plus I'd need another Dreamcast) but it's good to try.

A sequel, it could work... but totally doubtful

Yeah, the computer opponents cheated like heck... they could TOTALLY see your cards all the time D: But the difficulty level wasn't too bad really. One stage (I forget which) took forever to complete because of the cheating AI. But the game itself wasn't too hard to beat. The cut-scenes were cute :3 And it was nice to hear the old VAs again for nostalgia's sake. I was like "Yay! Lots of new lines I'd never heard!". Also, Cosmo's inspiration much?

I would really like to see another game made in a similar vein to this. It wouldn't have to be a direct Shuffle sequel. In fact, I'd rather it wasn't. It was a cute idea but I think it would be a little too 'wtf' for most people these days XD

To keep on topic, it's those type of games that are excellent for franchises with lots of characters. It gives a chance to play fanservice to everyone who wants to see their favourites return - especially if those faves are one-off or cameo characters who are unlikely to ever have a main role again.

And with that in mind, it'd be kinda neat to actually USE that... perhaps feature some of these 'lost' or one-shot characters fairly prominently in the story. Perhaps even through in a few 4th wall jabs about where they've been or who they actually are XD

I think Marine would make a most EXCELLENT tour guide character for the maps, or at least to introduce or comment on an outback-themed map if she's a playable char on the team.

Yeah, the computer opponents cheated like heck... they could TOTALLY see your cards all the time D: But the difficulty level wasn't too bad really. One stage (I forget which) took forever to complete because of the cheating AI. But the game itself wasn't too hard to beat. The cut-scenes were cute :3 And it was nice to hear the old VAs again for nostalgia's sake. I was like "Yay! Lots of new lines I'd never heard!". Also, Cosmo's inspiration much?

It's nice to hear that the game isn't impossible, even if the computer cheats. Might be nice to see Void again in a future party game, as well.

I think Marine would make a most EXCELLENT tour guide character for the maps, or at least to introduce or comment on an outback-themed map if she's a playable char on the team.

That actually makes a lot of sense. It's not like I wasn't already thinking of her as "Little Girl Steve Irwin" anyway.XD

I think that would work! On a side note, do you think that she could be like a guide character in another Sonic game that wasn't a party game, like Omochao, Tikal, or Chip? Just wondering...

If there was a reason for her to be there. The difficulty is in that she's from Blaze's dimension, so there'd have to be a whole part of the plot dedicated to explaining why she's there, with a significant reason for her to be there. Which could happen, I suppose... but party games are generally easier to fit characters with complicated origins into since no one really cares if they're just grabbed out of thin air, as the game is usually considered to be a spin-off rather than truly canonical XD;

Actually they wouldn't necessarily have to have a way/explanation/deus ex to get Marine and Blaze to Sonic's world (or vice versa) at all. All you need is some sort of multi-dimensional threat, and you're set for a parallel game with each pair in their own world - possibly not even aware that the alternate one is affected.

I rather liked Marine, and she not only revealed an interesting power at the end, she has got a bio on Sonic Channel - which several repeated characters have not. I think we'll see her again.

(Although I still think it'd have been more sensible for her to be a tanuki; not only are they closer to Australia than raccoons, the tanuki/kitsune parallel would have been nice.)