Awoo.

Do you think Sage will be a recurring character in Sonic games after Sonic Frontiers?

Scritch the Cat

6 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Nope, she'll just be used for references that only fans will recognize, brief cameos, and mobile game fodder. If we're really lucky she might appear in an Olympics game or the comics but that's about it.

Spoiler

Well this post is liable to age badly given the true ending.

Spoiler

I don't think they'd bother spending the time and money necessary to animate the post-credits scene where Eggman brings her back if they didn't intend on her sticking around.

And I'm all for her being a recurring part of the series. Eggman's beloved daughter is a welcome addition to the cast.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the answer is probably yes, which is really silly because it undercuts like the only thing that happens in the ending

She has potential to shake up the Egg family dynamic as a less bombastic level headed foil to the bumbling orbit and cubot and given the ending, I don’t think we’ve seen the last of her 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:51 PM, Diogenes said:

She's gonna get all tied up in the islands' cyberspace/ancient civilization business and either sacrifice herself or stay there as its guardian/overseer or something. I think it's pretty clear that she's not the villain in all this, but I don't see her as the type of character to stick around as an ally; she's not really suitable as a playable character and I expect she'd be redundant as a friendly NPC outside this game's context. I think the one chance she has to stick around is...actually I guess this gets into leaky-spoilery territory?

Hide contents

She's an AI created by Eggman, so she could make nice-ish with Sonic just until they stop the bigger threat, then go back to Eggman and be the canon version of Eggette/Omelette.

Lol

LMAO even.

I don't know what it says about this game...

Spoiler

That he called it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

6 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Lol

LMAO even.

Reveal hidden contents

Shows how well together they're mixed. Doesn't really say a thing about the game's quality though, given how he hates it. lol

I hope so, she adds an extra layer of humanity to Eggman (beyond humour) that we haven’t really seen much of since Sonic Adventure 2’s ending.

And hey, it means Orbot and Cubot get a (much smarter) little sister now as well which is sweet. 

• Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

I hope so, she adds an extra layer of humanity to Eggman (beyond humour) that we haven’t really seen much of since Sonic Adventure 2’s ending.

And hey, it means Orbot and Cubot get a (much smarter) little sister now as well which is sweet. 

I'm interested to see interactions between Sage, and her big brother Metal.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

26 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Lol

LMAO even.

Hide contents

That he called it.

Sonic stories are largely the same shit over and over with any deviation slapped down as not true to the spirit, so it's not exactly hard. 

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sonic stories are largely the same shit over and over with any deviation slapped down as not true to the spirit, so it's not exactly hard. 

Fair, but its still pretty funny given this game is considered a "return to form" after the "bad" writing from before.

26 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Shows how well together they're mixed. Doesn't really say a thing about the game's quality though, given how he hates it. lol

Think its more that this game's story isn't anywhere near as revolutionary as people think.

7 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I'm interested to see interactions between Sage, and her big brother Metal.

Now that I would like to see in a sequel for sure, especially considering her fondness for Sonic and that Metal is like, his arch-nemesis. Could be some fun rivalry and conversations there. 

In actual fact racing metal across open zones could be the perfect antithesis to his Sonic Colour Ultimates racing mode inclusion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Think its more that this game's story isn't anywhere near as revolutionary as people think.

Eh, I think you're reading too much into people enjoying the story.

• Thumbs Up 3

The story is just...good.

Which is the bare minimum of what fans have been asking for, and is revolutionary in simply not being lame like previous stories before it. It brings back a sense of continuity after Sega/Sonic Team essentially chucked it out the window for some inane reason, and although it could be better, it still delivers what was once thought lost or ignored.

As far as Sage being recurring goes, I would love her to be recurring...primarily on the ground that I despise one-shot characters, because that's a waste of a character. It'll definitely be a treat to see how she interacts with the rest of Eggman's machines now that they're essentially becoming the "Egg Family".

• Thumbs Up 3

Sage and Sonic have a chance to develop a very interesting dynamic. As an AI running the show for Eggman's latest and greatest, Sage would be tip-of-the-spear and would actually be forced to interact with Sonic and Co as they progress. Given her affinity for Sonic alongside her continued loyalty to Eggman, that could create a conflict of interest where she wants him to fail and succeed at the same time.

Perhaps she uses her semi-friend status to take advantage of his trusting nature? Sonic is prone to that. Perhaps she projects her feelings onto Metal Sonic? That could be fun too. Perhaps she flips the script entirely and gets Sonic to help her with things that in turn secretly help Eggman.

Either way; It'll be fun to keep her around. She should start every game telling Sonic that Eggman's plan is foolproof so he might as well Leave Immediately.

If they do bring her back, wonder if she'd get any kind of redesign. Her glitchy aesthetic feels kinda tied to this game, and it'd be pretty easy to narratively justify some tweaks.

15 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If they do bring her back, wonder if she'd get any kind of redesign. Her glitchy aesthetic feels kinda tied to this game, and it'd be pretty easy to narratively justify some tweaks.

I wouldn't be surprised if she comes back with a new revamped design, given the nature of her AI and whatnot. Some people have speculated a more aged up look in the future.

Oh you know artists are gonna have an even bigger field day if she gets an aged up look.

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Oh you know artists are gonna have an even bigger field day if she gets an aged up look.

Trust me. Some already have with the concept alone.

• Chuckle 1

13 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Trust me. Some already have with the concept alone.

Ew.

Wait...we weren't thinking the same thing. Or were we?

giphy.gif

• Chuckle 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Eh, I think you're reading too much into people enjoying the story.

Look, I enjoyed this story a lot too. But I kind of feel like people overstating how good it is. I get why since everyone has been so jaded by the writing for the last ten or so years, but still. 

In any case; I guess I can't really be upset at Sage staying around. Lord knows we've needed a new recurring character that actually has a significant dynamic with one of the main characters, and Sage has one with both the main protagonist and antagonist. Haven't had a character that tied to the mythos since Shadow in all honesty. 

And unlike Shadow and almost every other recurring character, Sage doesn't really have a ton of baggage that makes using her in subsequent games awkward. Can see her being a friendly enemy to Sonic; she's still loyal to Eggman, but is still willing to help Sonic when he needs it. No other antagonist really has a relationship like that where they have a good relationship with Sonic, but are still on the villain's side. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Ew.

Wait...we weren't thinking the same thing. Or were we?

I think we may have been. Scary as that thought is.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Look, I enjoyed this story a lot too. But I kind of feel like people overstating how good it is. I get why since everyone has been so jaded by the writing for the last ten or so years, but still. 

I mean, most people see it for what it is. A massive improvement to the story telling, and honestly, a good story. Not the pinnacle of story telling; there's still room for improvement, but one that gave us a good ride and a new potential recurring character with an interesting dynamic, quite fresh added to the pool.

Yeah, Frontiers isn't really award-winning or jawdropping in the storytelling department.

It just finally manages to do a competent job at actually telling a story with continuity. It actually achieves the bare minimum. And it's hilarious how this was never really difficult to do to begin with, but they couldn't have been bothered to at least do that bare minimum that Frontiers accomplished in the past.

I'd actually give Frontiers' story a B+, which is leagues more than what I can say for every story since Colors.

Frontiers is, for the Adventure era (and storybook games) of storytelling what Colors was for the classics' more light-hearted form of storytelling. A competent return to form of sorts in maintaining continuity while providing more serious bouts of tone, like Colors was a return to more light-hearted affair and lighter story telling after a long range of darker games.

Now, granted, no one was really expecting Colors' form of storytelling to get out of control with later games like it did, but with Frontiers, Sonic Team and the team that they've assembled for maintaining the lore are making it quite clear that this is the direction that they're moving with.

If all goes well, Frontiers would be the "Sonic 1" or Unleashed of this new formula. Good game with room for improvement, followed up by a sequel which does just that in all departments. Story included in this regard.

• Thumbs Up 3