Awoo.

Will Sonic have a new super form in FRONTIERS?!...

King Conne

We know that Sonic will use his Super Sonic form in several fights during the game, so I think Sonic Team will create a new super form to fight the final boss in the game to draw even more attention to the game!!...
Sonic has had several super forms (Hyper Sonic, Darkspine Sonic, Excalibur-Sonic) and even a malediction (the Werehog) during his still-evolving career, like many other shônen heroes (Gokû of course, Luffy and so on), and a new transformation is a good way to keep fans amazed!!...
Do you think a new transformation for Sonic will be revealed in the game?!...

It would make sense, but I wouldn't count on it considering how Sonic's been treated lately. They're playing it safe due to his movie success, I'd expect a new form from a movie than the games first honestly. I'm hoping for a mixup honestly- let us play Eggman in the final battle or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really expect that would happen, it just doesn't really seem to be how Sega/Sonic Team does things lately, but it would be cool. I hope it happens.

What would be much cooler is if they brought back Hyper Sonic. I mean, if he turns into Super Sonic just to fight mid-game bosses, it could be considered logical that he would change into a more powerful forum for the final boss. I know there's basically no chance of that, though.

Sonic doesn't need more forms. He didn't even need Hyper Sonic, and it continually eludes me why people even want that one back. There is a scant amount of meaning or symbolism to how Super Sonic has been used in one form or another, even if it's just drab regurgitation of Super Saiyan tropes in general or just Sonic being empowered by faith in his friends or whatever. Every other Sonic form is just more of that, or has no purpose other than looking cool (they could've done something with the dark forms, but they didn't).

• Thumbs Up 5

I personally hope not. Super Sonic's whole deal is already to be invincible and functionally all-powerful. Nullifying that by saying there are enemies stronger than that would create a worrying, DBZ-like precedent where potential threats escalate by just making them stronger than the last. It would make the stories rote and predictable if Sonic just got a new transformation for every game in order to deal with it. It's a lot more fun if Super Sonic is involved, but the story is still more about how base Sonic reacts to things and responds accordingly.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, you could dodge a lot of the problems with making Super Sonic redundant by having the final boss take place in cyberspace.

Since the rules of engagement there are whatever the writers choose them to be, it'd be an easy fallback to make a new superform that casually makes itself a one-shot (so it doesn't need to be accounted for in the future) while also leaving Super Sonic as the sole go-to when the going gets tough. Kinda like Excalibur and Darkspine. They don't step on Super's toes because Sonic can't achieve those forms outside of their respective domains.

Even if you wanted to use Hyper Sonic again, you could do that - because Cyberspace is whatever they need it to be. Following the fight *poof* its gone again.

I doubt we would go further down the DBZ rabbit hole and have Sonic achieve another form beyond Super. No SS2 Hegies for us. But it wouldn't surprise me to see them roll out some one-time-only context specific form for the Final Boss. One of Sonic's defining traits is his adaptability to new powers / energies. Sonic is a quick study and can harness powers near instantly. I'd be surprised if he didn't absorb a ton of cyber energy and do something silly with it.

and then in the next game, he should take the Sol emeralds and...

• Thumbs Up 1

A new form would be an obvious way to escalate things for the final boss since they're already using Super Sonic throughout the main game, but it's so obvious that it risks feeling predictable, tired, and meaningless. I don't mind a good form change from time to time but I'd rather they find a way to hype up the climax with either Super or just regular Sonic.

And if they are going to have another form, at least come up with an original one rather than Hyper Sonic. Hyper sucks and I can't imagine it having any real meaning in this game, it'd just be pandering.

• Thumbs Up 2

Super Sonic is already a last minute crutch as is in the franchise (Frontiers and Forces withstanding), and Sonic as a character is already fucking overpowered as is as well, why even add any new abilities or forms to a character that might as well be the ultimate lifeform

14 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Super Sonic is already a last minute crutch as is in the franchise (Frontiers and Forces withstanding), and Sonic as a character is already fucking overpowered as is as well, why even add any new abilities or forms to a character that might as well be the ultimate lifeform

It would look cool, for one

• Chuckle 1

I did read that the early leaks did say something along those lines when the game was known as Sonic Rangers. I could be wrong, but I think it would be cool to see.

Regardless though, the thing is…do we really need another super-like form? As cool as it would be, depending on how it could be done, I do think Super Sonic is enough. I mean, you could add more abilities to him like with Hyper Sonic from Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but you can’t possibly make Sonic more invulnerable than he is as Super Sonic, or maybe even more powerful too for that matter. I think it would be cool, but not necessary, at all.

1 hour ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Super Sonic is already a last minute crutch as is in the franchise

What on earth are you talking about?

Are you really asking what I mean when I say that Super Sonic has been a last boss crutch in so many different Sonic games since Sonic Adventure, not to mention being the thing that saves the day in non canon media like Sonic 2 or IDW's Metal Virus saga?

It's quite literally a writing get out of jail card. "The situation seems hopeless? Sonic gotta turn super then!"

15 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

I personally hope not. Super Sonic's whole deal is already to be invincible and functionally all-powerful. Nullifying that by saying there are enemies stronger than that would create a worrying, DBZ-like precedent where potential threats escalate by just making them stronger than the last. It would make the stories rote and predictable if Sonic just got a new transformation for every game in order to deal with it. It's a lot more fun if Super Sonic is involved, but the story is still more about how base Sonic reacts to things and responds accordingly.

This says everything

There is no need for any more forms above Super Sonic

Unless that red stuff has nearly overtaken Sonic, Sonic is on his deathbed, and he just goes all out (a new look but not necessarily new power)

On 10/12/2022 at 3:38 PM, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Are you really asking what I mean when I say that Super Sonic has been a last boss crutch in so many different Sonic games since Sonic Adventure, not to mention being the thing that saves the day in non canon media like Sonic 2 or IDW's Metal Virus saga?

Yes, because you didn't word it well in the first place. And why on earth did you mention Forces and Frontiers as "withstanding" when it should have been "notwithstanding" for your point to have made sense in the first place?

On 10/12/2022 at 3:38 PM, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

It's quite literally a writing get out of jail card. "The situation seems hopeless? Sonic gotta turn super then!"

It's moreso a form used at the climactic finish in the games, and one that often has to be attained by special means if the chaos Emeralds, rather than just an easy "snap and he's out" like you're implying.

And a threat that requires a new form charts newer waters. It's as plain and simple as that.

Okay, let me rephrase myself.

I don't think there should be a new super form because (Frontiers, Lost World and Forces notwithstanding) a super form has generally been used in final bosses since SA1, and I personally think Frontiers shouldn't fall into this category of "final boss as Super form", I'd think it'd be much more interesting if you either start as Super only for it to fail, or have it just be regular Sonic fighting to his limit.

After all, you level up and gain so many moves, why not let people defeat the final foe with everything you learned?

I think Sonic will probably get a new super form in Frontiers. With Super Sonic being used as often as it is, this should point to an escalation of a new form. Now I doubt this new form will be a permanent upgrade to his arsenal, it'll probably be exclusive to this game like Sonic's other super forms were to their respective games (Darkspine, Knight Super, Etc). Most likely, he'll end up fusing Super and whatever that red glitch-virus ends up being.

This wouldn't really be the first time Sonic got a new super form, and arguably one stronger than base Super (an argument could probably be made that a Darkspine using all 7 world rings instead of just 3 would surpass vanilla Super.) Even noncanon materials/stories liked giving Sonic new forms every now and then, anyone remember Dark Super from Sonic X?

Sonic having a new super form every once in awhile like DB is nothing new, you could probably argue that started back with Hyper in Sonic 3.

It’s looking likely. From the looks of it,

Spoiler

Super Sonic seems to be sweating his ass off in ways we’ve never seen before vs a Titan that only used 1 Chaos Emerald to power itself up

so something’s bound to be switched up by the climax if not maybe even earlier on seeing as how the situation is setting itself up. 

I’d pop off if Hyper Sonic somehow got brought back in for this one last time no doubt, but something tells me we’re about to have some sort of Matrix’s Neo moment with this cyber virus thing going on with Sonic. Either way, I can only see this new form being a one off for Frontiers

The fact that Super Sonic is going to be a regular part of the game makes me think that Sonic will get a new "super" form as a part of the climax of the story. It seems like a straight forward way to raise the stakes to have Super Sonic not be strong enough or otherwise adequate to defeat the final boss. But the idea of Sonic Team giving Sonic a new form makes me nervous. Sonic Team's character designs have been poor or worse for a long time now, and that includes the alternative super forms they gave Sonic in the storybook games (Darkspine Sonic was comically bad).

So, yeah, a new super form for Sonic seems likely to appear in Frontiers IMO, but I don't trust the game to do it well.

I don’t think Sonic will be getting a new super form, if only on the basis that 1, all of Sonics canon forms aren’t considered a new super form except for Hyper Sonic, and 2, all the glitch, digital, and virus themes we’ve seen in the game that are effecting Sonic would fall into that category.

if anything, this will likely be a one-time form that Sonic takes, just like Excalibur Sonic, Darkspine Sonic, and Unlimited Colors Sonic.

I hope not.

I already think Sonic going super sayian is stupid as hell, despite it existing since Sonic 2. And shit, I wasn't even a year old then.