Awoo.

Thoughts on SEGA unifying the Sonic brand

Rabbitearsblog

1 minute ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I also agree that SEGA could try to compromise in allowing other versions of the franchise into the main game series.  Like as many people pointed out, I liked the way that Reboot Archie incorporated both the game elements and the outside elements into one world.  I especially loved the way that the Freedom Fighters were being incorporated into the game world.  They can easily just do that for the mainstream games.  I think the reason why SEGA don't want to incorporate characters like the Freedom Fighters into the games is because the Freedom Fighters are characters who were not created by SEGA or Sonic Team and therefore, there's that possible fear that they might not be able to write the characters right since they didn't come up with the concept.  It's like if you are a new writer to a book that was previously written by a different writer, and you have a different thought process from the last writer.  You as the new writer might not be able to grasp the same success that the previous writer had in regard to the characters that the previous writer wrote.  Another reason is that SEGA finally established their own lore for the franchise and they want that to be front and center.

I would have been okay with SEGA unifying the brand if they were taking better care of the franchise. The way they are portraying Sonic nowadays is very bland and they don't seem to focus a lot on telling good stories or just making the games good.  If SEGA has been doing a good job with the brand, like just put out good games, then I would be okay with them unifying the brand.  Oh well, we'll see how Sonic Frontiers turns out to see if SEGA is trying to get back on the right track with this franchise.

Sonic has always been a compromise between what Sega in Japan wants and what Sega in America wants. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I'm getting, most level-headed people here understand the situation, but don't find it ideal, so it's a pretty unfortunate that we're arrived at this situation.

While I may not appreciate every single ideas that the past brought with its level of free creativity, I felt like those enhanced or expanded settings also contributed to the creativity of the fans. Kind of like a ping-pong resonance effect.

With today's setting, I'm seeing less of these fan comic or related fan works anymore. It has particularly affected the Japanese side pretty badly, but that's probably more due to the "westernification" felt with Sonic from Colors onward.

2 hours ago, FlameStream said:

From what I'm getting, most level-headed people here understand the situation, but don't find it ideal, so it's a pretty unfortunate that we're arrived at this situation.

While I may not appreciate every single ideas that the past brought with its level of free creativity, I felt like those enhanced or expanded settings also contributed to the creativity of the fans. Kind of like a ping-pong resonance effect.

With today's setting, I'm seeing less of these fan comic or related fan works anymore. It has particularly affected the Japanese side pretty badly, but that's probably more due to the "westernification" felt with Sonic from Colors onward.

Well, there's a lot more Sonic fan games nowadays than ever before.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic will never be as good as other mascots because SEGA has compromised too much. Quality and consistency.

1 hour ago, Starnik said:

Sonic will never be as good as other mascots because SEGA has compromised too much. Quality and consistency.

What?

• Unamused 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

What?

Do you Sonic Team can make games as great as Nintendo? Or any other big publisher for that matter? 

Brand consistency is important and something Sega should have been more careful about three decades ago, but the present moment seems like a strange time to finally insist on it. The movies are what is driving the renaissance the IP is experiencing right now, and those are some of the least game-like interpretations of Sonic we've ever had. IDW and the upcoming Prime exhibit that consistency Sega wants the Sonic brand to have, but their own upcoming game, Frontiers, is explicitly designed not to look like or be tonally similar to previous Sonic games. I guess you could argue that Frontiers is trying to meet the films halfway by making Sonic an electric type and with some of the enemy designs, but then shouldn't IDW and Prime be doing the same thing if consistency is the goal here?

To be frank, I'm not convinced Sega and Sonic Team actually have a real vision for what the Sonic IP is and should be anymore than they have had in the past. The focus on consistency is about making sure third party works don't go as far off the rails as say Archie or Underground did more than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Well, there's a lot more Sonic fan games nowadays than ever before.

That's an interesting remark. Game making is more accessible, but as far as I know, almost none of them put any importance on narrative or setting development. It's mostly games involving (and sometimes hyperfocused on) Sonic physics. And sadly, the drive is less about the good will of enhancing what we have, but rather the ill will of proving they can do better lol. So it's not really the same resonance effect. (I'm exaggerating of course, not everyone is in that mindset)

It would have been different if the creatives we had before moved on to light novel game creation, or simply narrative animations. 

I'm starting to think that the reason why SEGA is unifying the Sonic brand is because they are trying to have Sonic get much more exposure in Japan.  Before, SEGA rarely tried to get Sonic exposed in Japan and it didn't help that Sonic rarely does well in Japan.  It seems that they are trying to promote Sonic Frontiers very heavily in Japan and whether or not the game succeeds in Japan or not will remain to be seen.

On 10/2/2022 at 6:44 AM, Starnik said:

I can’t imagine bringing back the were-hog of all things. It’s very specific to the story in Unleashed. Making Sonic a werewolf in future games would be strange or random. 

I agree, but then, I also couldn’t imagine bringing back FISHING, of all things; plus from what I understand the titan combat in Frontiers is at least ludologically reminiscent of the  werehog.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:02 PM, Starnik said:

If Sonic Team touched the western properties or characters they didn’t make, and ruined them, the fans would be understandably mad. 

True enough, but it’s pretty hard to ruin something when it’s just a character showing up in a gacha game without a plot.

Anyway, to answer RabbitEarsBlog's original question, I can't say I'm optimistic for this, all things considered.  There are certain times in the past where I would argue that such a strict and conservative approach from Sega of Japan was warranted, given such insane derivative media as Sonic Underground and Penders-era Archie Sonic.  I understand why SEGA wanted to kill a lot of that off.  But more recently, that all rings hypocritical because even the "canon" version of Sonic has become a ponderous freak show of Sonic Team spitballing weird ideas at the wall to see what sticks, cluttering up their universe with a bunch of different and contradictory things.  They make utterly stupid declarations such as "money doesn't exist in this world", "Team Dark aren't friends", and "Knuckles does not get involved unless the Master Emerald is at stake", even as their own games constantly demonstrate those declarations are false.  They drop important character traits like loose underwear and can barely even maintain a consistent policy about whether some characters are from another dimension or another time.  And just as remarkably embarrassing as all of the things they drop are those ones they absurdly insist on retaining for no apparent reason, like Silver and Zavok.  There's no reason to believe this company has had any concrete vision for what the Sonic brand is or should be for the last two decades, and while part of this is definitely due to most of the games not being big enough successes to feel like safe bets to repeat, that in itself implies that they shouldn't be in charge of it.

But more offputting to me than what a laughably incoherent and clumsy behemoth this series has been for decades, is my suspicion that this is coming to an end with Sonic Frontiers.  That game, by a lot of evidence, is making a positive impression with gamers and journalists as a whole, and really, that isn't too surprising when it's pandering to a lot of the current tastes in gaming, and as I said here, it feels suspiciously like they aim to take advantage of that to force a revision of the series to be quieter, less crowded and more focused on far less characters; also a moe anime OC.  While that might do some good things for the brand, the way it's been presented so far looks boring to me.  Not the gameplay necessarily but the world and villains have so little character, let alone any that feels like it fits with this series, that this seems to be just about the worst time imaginable to "unify" the brand around Sonic Team's wishes.

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I agree, but then, I also couldn’t imagine being back FISHING, of all things; plus from what I understand the titan combat in Frontiers is at least ludologically reminiscent of the  werehog.

True enough, but it’s pretty hard to ruin something when it’s just a character showing up in a gacha game without a plot.

Is that what the fans want? Sounds  humiliating to limit them to gacha games. Why even bother at that point?

Just because SEGA doesn’t acknowledge some of the characters or side material doesn’t mean the fans are wrong for liking them. 

55 minutes ago, Starnik said:

Is that what the fans want? Sounds  humiliating to limit them to gacha games. Why even bother at that point?

I doubt most fans think of gacha games as inherently limiting their contents to themselves; rather that they're proving grounds for what comes next.  Or if nothing else, a good way to let newer players know about characters that older fans love.  I can't speak for the majority of the fanbase but enough people felt it was worth making a lot of noise to get Sally Acorn to appear in Sonic mobile games.  Of course nobody thought it was the ideal place to make their stand, but then nobody with a political axe to grind thinks the best place to voice it is on a public lavatory wall; people often just work with what they have.

As for my own take, as I said in the Sonic Frontiers thread I would welcome a Sonic version of Genshin Impact because it seems like the only official way to play as other characters in a conventional Sonic game.  I understand why the payment model of gacha games disgusts people but often it feels like a worse issue than the payment model itself is how so many of them are built around that payment model to the extreme that they barely feel like actual games, since every opportunity to accomplish something via actual gameplay is a missed opportunity to demand cash to accomplish it instead.  But it seems like GI may have risen the bar for what gacha games can be, and in turn, will be expected to be.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:26 AM, azoo said:

The obvious answer is to make a good thing over an accurate thing if you have to, but I've never seen why the resulting answer always was "so we'll just make something entirely different". There's nothing that should've inherently stopped many of these shows from resembling the source material, they just... didn't. For basically no reason.

Well, that's not exactly true. There wasn't a whole lot to work with back when they were making their shows.  I don't really get why they usually ignored the games' Badnik designs, but the omission of many of the canon cast is easier to understand.  They might have been able to squeeze Amy and Metal Sonic in more--and if I remember correctly, both DIC shows featured a Metal Sonic in all-but-name--but they were only in relatively obscure games.  There probably didn't need to be so many Freedom Fighters, but with as recklessly as Sonic Team would fill up the character roster on their side, it seems odd to say that approach doesn't "gel" with what Sonic is supposed to be.

Of course I'm only talking about the first two DiC shows and Archie Sonic.  There really is no excuse for Sonic Underground, though at least it had Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I doubt most fans think of gacha games as inherently limiting their contents to themselves; rather that they're proving grounds for what comes next.  Or if nothing else, a good way to let newer players know about characters that older fans love.  I can't speak for the majority of the fanbase but enough people felt it was worth making a lot of noise to get Sally Acorn to appear in Sonic mobile games.  Of course nobody thought it was the ideal place to make their stand, but then nobody with a political axe to grind thinks the best place to voice it is on a public lavatory wall; people often just work with what they have.

As for my own take, as I said in the Sonic Frontiers thread I would welcome a Sonic version of Genshin Impact because it seems like the only official way to play as other characters in a conventional Sonic game.  I understand why the payment model of gacha games disgusts people but often it feels like a worse issue than the payment model itself is how so many of them are built around that payment model to the extreme that they barely feel like actual games, since every opportunity to accomplish something via actual gameplay is a missed opportunity to demand cash to accomplish it instead.  But it seems like GI may have risen the bar for what gacha games can be, and in turn, will be expected to be.

Well, that's not exactly true. There wasn't a whole lot to work with back when they were making their shows.  I don't really get why they usually ignored the games' Badnik designs, but the omission of many of the canon cast is easier to understand.  They might have been able to squeeze Amy and Metal Sonic in more--and if I remember correctly, both DIC shows featured a Metal Sonic in all-but-name--but they were only in relatively obscure games.  There probably didn't need to be so many Freedom Fighters, but with as recklessly as Sonic Team would fill up the character roster on their side, it seems odd to say that approach doesn't "gel" with what Sonic is supposed to be.

Of course I'm only talking about the first two DiC shows and Archie Sonic.  There really is no excuse for Sonic Underground, though at least it had Knuckles.

Maybe they should waited a few more years before making the cartoons. That way the shows wouldn’t feel alien to the actual franchise. They messed up from the start.

Maybe they should waited a few more years before making the cartoons. That way the shows wouldn’t feel alien to the actual franchise. They messed up from the start.

It's okay to speculate on this, but ultimately, their choice did accomplish what Madeleine Schroeder said it was supposed to, putting Sonic everywhere so everyone knew who he was.  That was a different time and most people are now so used to Sonic already being ubiquitous that they don't necessarily have the biggest appreciation for how far SEGA was punching up back then.  There were already a lot of well-established video game stars, many of them had their own shows, many of the shows by DIC and many of them bad, and it was probably believed by many in the industry that in order to be a truly important video game, something couldn't be just a video game; it was necessary for it to be a vast multimedia franchise.  SEGA essentially scrambled to build such a franchise quickly as had evolved more gradually and organically around other games, but with as far behind Nintendo as they had been at the start, perhaps they needed to.  Maybe the Sonic cartoons would have been more game-accurate if they had waited but that's still the most optimistic alternate history; another very possible one is that Sonic would have come and gone relatively unnoticed.

• Thumbs Up 4

The constant talk of Satam and AOSTH not being game accurate is a little grating for someone who watched DIC tap-dance on Zelda's soul at the same time. The Sonic cartoons were merciful in comparison. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

That made me spit out my drink, ngl.

But yea uh...we can talk about late 80's/early 90's video game adaptations. I don't think anyone is gonna miss Captain N's version of iconic Nintendo characters at all.

The DiC version of Sonic is at least a close approximation of what he was advertised as, a spunky freedom fighter.

• Too Many Rings 1

15 hours ago, Wraith said:

The constant talk of Satam and AOSTH not being game accurate is a little grating for someone who watched DIC tap-dance on Zelda's soul at the same time. The Sonic cartoons were merciful in comparison. 

13 hours ago, Kuzu said:

That made me spit out my drink, ngl.

But yea uh...we can talk about late 80's/early 90's video game adaptations. I don't think anyone is gonna miss Captain N's version of iconic Nintendo characters at all.

The DiC version of Sonic is at least a close approximation of what he was advertised as, a spunky freedom fighter.

I actually prefer Link and Zelda having annoying personalities over them having no personalities at all, the latter of which is what Nintendo prefers.  The Zelda show we got might not be good but I don't think one that made its protagonists as blank as they are in the games would work.

Sonic arguably has an advantage in that regard, in that having a personality has always been more important to him as a character.  And initially, it didn't matter all that much whom his supporting cast were or what his world was, back when people weren't there to see Sonic's supporting cast or his world.  They were there to see Sonic, and expected his speech to be various paraphrases of "This is cool", "Gotta go fast", and "Screw you person above me, especially if you're preventing me from going fast".  It felt a lot easier to see the Sonic media as contiguous for that reason, even if they weren't.

Perhaps the problem, though, is that people were never supposed to like these video game cartoons much.  They were supposed to serve essentially two purposes, one as commercials for the video games they were based on, and two as something to run other commercials during because the brand recognition would ensure children would watch them.  But at least one of the Sonic shows and then the Archie Sonic series managed to transcend that and become things that people wanted to consume for their own sake, and in turn, continue.  Likewise, I think SEGA never expected that these things having a lot of their own characters foreign to the games would be a problem, because SEGA never could have anticipated that they would not only have these characters, but focus a lot of plot on them. 

On 10/5/2022 at 8:14 PM, Scritch the Cat said:

It's okay to speculate on this, but ultimately, their choice did accomplish what Madeleine Schroeder said it was supposed to, putting Sonic everywhere so everyone knew who he was.  That was a different time and most people are now so used to Sonic already being ubiquitous that they don't necessarily have the biggest appreciation for how far SEGA was punching up back then.  There were already a lot of well-established video game stars, many of them had their own shows, many of the shows by DIC and many of them bad, and it was probably believed by many in the industry that in order to be a truly important video game, something couldn't be just a video game; it was necessary for it to be a vast multimedia franchise.  SEGA essentially scrambled to build such a franchise quickly as had evolved more gradually and organically around other games, but with as far behind Nintendo as they had been at the start, perhaps they needed to.  Maybe the Sonic cartoons would have been more game-accurate if they had waited but that's still the most optimistic alternate history; another very possible one is that Sonic would have come and gone relatively unnoticed.

You make a good point. Sega really had to catch up to Nintendo somehow. I guess they succeeded in doing that for a time. But they did it in such a messy way. Their actions would eventually catch up to them over the decades.

You make a good point. Sega really had to catch up to Nintendo somehow. I guess they succeeded in doing that for a time. But they did it in such a messy way. Their actions would eventually catch up to them over the decades.

Yeah, but then again, it's all relative and it's kind of a crapshoot.  There wasn't really a whole lot to work with in PacMan and Donkey Kong back when those games got cartoons made based on them.  Even The Super Mario Bros Supershow only had two games with rather abstract plots to work off of, and as a result it barely even tried to be a game adaptation and instead put its characters into parodies of popular stories and movies.  All this trigger-happy promotion created a lot of shows that often weren't good and sometimes weren't even very accurate, but most of the game series that did it weren't hurt at all in the long run.  Again, it seems like with Sonic the inaccuracy to the games wasn't nearly so big an issue as how big a fandom of their own the adaptations developed. (Well, some of them.)  Does SEGA really deserve the blame for doing with Sonic exactly what Nintendo did with Mario and Zelda, and not expecting any different result?

As stated before, Ninja Turtles is a good comparison, and how its original creator reacted may also be one. The first Ninja Turtles cartoon was never supposed to be anything but a commercial to sell action figures, which in themselves were based more on the original Mirage series, but Playmates assumed that action figures wouldn't sell well if what they were based on was too adult for children, the primary audience of action figures, to read.  So they made a more child-friendly miniseries as a quick commercial for the toys, and that series became so loved in itself that they just decided to keep it going for almost a decade.  This, though, did not sit well with Peter Laird, who watched as something with the same name as something he created but not much else in common, far eclipsed it in popularity and colored how the whole world saw the brand.

More recently, Ninjago has been another example: LEGO wanted to make another ninja-centered theme, and ordered a short miniseries to promote its maybe three-year run, only for it to gain so many fans that the show continued for all three years, and the fans petitioned fiercely to get it continued after that period.  They succeeded.  Now Ninjago won't die, it is often blamed for why other action-oriented LEGO themes don't get as much attention or success, and LEGO has had to rethink a lot to keep it afloat.

So tying this all back to Sonic, it has been a huge success.  Many people would be proud of their brand having that sort of success.  But it seems like SEGA of Japan instead has chosen to be salty over how what version of Sonic became a success was not the version they made.  But as I said before, no one person made that version of Sonic, either, so for whoever happens to be running SEGA at the moment to get all bossy about this feels very pretentious to me.

Like Sonic Frontiers.

4 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Yeah, but then again, it's all relative and it's kind of a crapshoot.  There wasn't really a whole lot to work with in PacMan and Donkey Kong back when those games got cartoons made based on them.  Even The Super Mario Bros Supershow only had two games with rather abstract plots to work off of, and as a result it barely even tried to be a game adaptation and instead put its characters into parodies of popular stories and movies.  All this trigger-happy promotion created a lot of shows that often weren't good and sometimes weren't even very accurate, but most of the game series that did it weren't hurt at all in the long run.  Again, it seems like with Sonic the inaccuracy to the games wasn't nearly so big an issue as how big a fandom of their own the adaptations developed. (Well, some of them.)  Does SEGA really deserve the blame for doing with Sonic exactly what Nintendo did with Mario and Zelda, and not expecting any different result?

As stated before, Ninja Turtles is a good comparison, and how its original creator reacted may also be one. The first Ninja Turtles cartoon was never supposed to be anything but a commercial to sell action figures, which in themselves were based more on the original Mirage series, but Playmates assumed that action figures wouldn't sell well if what they were based on was too adult for children, the primary audience of action figures, to read.  So they made a more child-friendly miniseries as a quick commercial for the toys, and that series became so loved in itself that they just decided to keep it going for almost a decade.  This, though, did not sit well with Peter Laird, who watched as something with the same name as something he created but not much else in common, far eclipsed it in popularity and colored how the whole world saw the brand.

More recently, Ninjago has been another example: LEGO wanted to make another ninja-centered theme, and ordered a short miniseries to promote its maybe three-year run, only for it to gain so many fans that the show continued for all three years, and the fans petitioned fiercely to get it continued after that period.  They succeeded.  Now Ninjago won't die, it is often blamed for why other action-oriented LEGO themes don't get as much attention or success, and LEGO has had to rethink a lot to keep it afloat.

So tying this all back to Sonic, it has been a huge success.  Many people would be proud of their brand having that sort of success.  But it seems like SEGA of Japan instead has chosen to be salty over how what version of Sonic became a success was not the version they made.  But as I said before, no one person made that version of Sonic, either, so for whoever happens to be running SEGA at the moment to get all bossy about this feels very pretentious to me.

Like Sonic Frontiers.

Salty? I would be annoyed if outsiders hijacker’s my creation too. SEGA should have been more protective from the start. Sonic is their most popular series, and the they don’t have a ton of franchises that are as big as Sonic. But they let outsiders do what they want regardless if it fit the brand they created and allowed fans to be divided. I doubt Nintendo or other companies would appreciate losing so much control over their own franchises. I also want to know how fans fell in love with the shows more than the actual games themselves? I’m amazed Sonic is still going as a game franchise if fans are not even interested in the games. Just license out Sonic and save their energy making games right? Sonic is seen as a joke compared to similar franchises because it was treated as disposable by his own parent company. Sonic could have more successful if SEGA were not so incompetent. Bad quality games, and an unfocused vision, and simply not doing enough to keep third parties like Archie on track. I don’t think a lawsuit needed to happen, or a lot of the other bad stuff either. People are hesitant about Frontiers because SEGA has comprised on quality in the past, and broke the trust the public might have had in them once. 

Whenever long-time Sonic Team vets are introduced to alternate media they seem to genuinely not know what it is. I don't think the desire for more control came from an angle of resentment. It'd just be a bit silly see a Sonic thing, get excited for those characters and then not see them in the show you end up watching. That goes the other way, too: people who watched the shows would want to see those characters in the games but then they wouldn't get that because the people making the games don't even know who they are.

People tend to project their feelings about these individual adaptations onto these things but I genuinely believe it's all business on Sega's side. I don't think most people  working on Sonic the Hedgehog was seriously concerned with the narrative integrity of it. It's just not really great cross-promotion if there's no crossover

I'm not even saying making the 90s cartoons as fast as they did was the wrong choice either. Getting Sonic in front of people was more important than getting every detail right in terms of the impact he had.It just makes more sense to keep all those details in line with each other once you have the opportunity. They didn't in the 90s because communication between branches was poor, but they can do a better job of that now.

• Fist Bump 1

I like the consolidation and I think it's generally a good idea. For as much as people argue about the movies, I think that version of Sonic, despite the somewhat different personality traits, is similar enough to the main Sonic character that it won't cause problems, and osmosis from movie fans (kids basically) would be pretty seamless. IDW and the games are drumming up a lot of excitement and I think it's mostly positive for Sonic as a whole.

The one concern I have is that this would limit the creativity of the series. Not saying they can't come up with great stuff as is, but things like Archie were able to go in very different directions and show us new sides to the characters. Under Sega's current mandates that isn't really possible, even with things like IDW. I'm sort of ok with different versions of Sonic all under one roof because not only is the brand branching out, but it gives more opportunities for interesting choices, while not conflicting too much with the overall Sonic timeline. I don't think things like Archie or Boom conflict too much with brand cohesion, and even if it does, I don't think it's really that big of an issue, I suppose. Either way, Sega is going in a different direction, and I would just like to see them experiment with things; I suppose they've sort of been doing that with Frontiers, and yet they are still apprehensive to stray too far from those verdant Green Hills. It remains to be seen.

On 10/8/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mr. Ion said:

I like the consolidation and I think it's generally a good idea. For as much as people argue about the movies, I think that version of Sonic, despite the somewhat different personality traits, is similar enough to the main Sonic character that it won't cause problems, and osmosis from movie fans (kids basically) would be pretty seamless. IDW and the games are drumming up a lot of excitement and I think it's mostly positive for Sonic as a whole.

The one concern I have is that this would limit the creativity of the series. Not saying they can't come up with great stuff as is, but things like Archie were able to go in very different directions and show us new sides to the characters. Under Sega's current mandates that isn't really possible, even with things like IDW. I'm sort of ok with different versions of Sonic all under one roof because not only is the brand branching out, but it gives more opportunities for interesting choices, while not conflicting too much with the overall Sonic timeline. I don't think things like Archie or Boom conflict too much with brand cohesion, and even if it does, I don't think it's really that big of an issue, I suppose. Either way, Sega is going in a different direction, and I would just like to see them experiment with things; I suppose they've sort of been doing that with Frontiers, and yet they are still apprehensive to stray too far from those verdant Green Hills. It remains to be seen.

I don't think the transition from Movie fans to Game fans is as seamless as you think. The films change around quite a bit of game lore, I worry that Movie fans may get confused about things like the Master Emerald being a lot bigger and a separate entity from the Chaos Emeralds, Eggman not getting powers from the Master Emerald, the very existence of things like Angel Island and the Death Egg due to them not being in the films, the timeline (since the film's director already said they're doing things out of order), and may be bummed to find out that film characters like Tom and Longclaw don't exist in the games (mainline at least).

6 hours ago, SticksSuperFan14 said:

I don't think the transition from Movie fans to Game fans is as seamless as you think. The films change around quite a bit of game lore, I worry that Movie fans may get confused about things like the Master Emerald being a lot bigger and a separate entity from the Chaos Emeralds, Eggman not getting powers from the Master Emerald, the very existence of things like Angel Island and the Death Egg due to them not being in the films, the timeline (since the film's director already said they're doing things out of order), and may be bummed to find out that film characters like Tom and Longclaw don't exist in the games (mainline at least).

It’s not that complicated. People can understand that different continuities can exist in the same franchise.