Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers New Combat Trailer

Shiny Gems
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New Sonic Frontiers Video Shows New Combat Moves [U] at some point.

Much as I love me some vanquish, this isn't a shooter. If you give a brawler that kind of mobility on top of a long range attack that shreds enemies you'd never have a reason to throw a punch. 

Game balance would go right out the window.

The projectile is already limited in use by the game's systems. I'm not sure what problems they'd cause by letting Sonic move around while he does it. Projectile attacks don't usually lock movement like that in other games. Sora can fire spells while on the run, Dante can fire his pistols in any state of movement, and Bayonetta can cancel melee attacks into gunfire, into dodges and back to melee. For Sonic to not have any of that flexibility feels needlessly limiting 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Much as I love me some vanquish, this isn't a shooter. If you give a brawler that kind of mobility on top of a long range attack that shreds enemies you'd never have a reason to throw a punch. 

Game balance would go right out the window.

Or you could just balance the game to work with it.

And honestly, we never had much of a reason to throw a punch before Frontiers. Not that I’m against Sonic punching things, but I wasn’t in favor of damage sponge enemies like Frontiers that much.

So I’d be in favor of Sonic just shredding enemies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I think the combat looks like what I've wanted, taking advantage of Sonic's speed and personality while still keeping in mind it has to look good. Granted, it's not as good as a DMC or Bayonetta, but it's definitely a good first step if a Sonic game has to have combat. It's not a werehog situation where even if you like it, it doesn't really feel like Sonic. Could it be better, oh god yeah, but I just like that the fundamentals feel right for the first time in ages.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: Megasis

So…uhh…where’s the new exciting content Sega? I check in after a few months of completely forgetting about Sonic Frontiers, and instead of seeing vast expanses of grass, I am now seeing vast expanses of sand. Great. And the new enemies still look like generic placeholder models. And the combat looks like a werehog-esque slog that takes the sense of speed and stops it cold. But hey, we got a quick dose of Green Hill nostalgia in the trailer which must make everything OK, right?

I will give Sega credit for “trying something new” with this open zone concept, but Sega seems to forget that they’ve already done open zones before – and far better too. Sonic 3D Blast did a very good job of doing open/sandbox level design while still keeping the action going, and even Sonic Labyrinth did OK with open-ended zones in concept despite the fact that the game had other quirks going on that received criticism. And then Sega further expanded on those open zone ideas with the Knuckles/Rouge levels in Sonic Adventure (and the Adventure Fields themselves to some extent). But the difference was that the open zones in all of those games *actually had lots of stuff in them* which is something that I’m not seeing in Sonic Frontiers. Instead, Frontiers looks like you’re going to pick a point in the horizon, start off in that direction, and zip through mostly empty space while occasionally stopping to bash away at some generic robot for minutes at a time.

So unfortunately I still don’t understand the overall vision for this game.