Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Prologue: Convergence Comic

Shaddy Zaphod

• Shaddy Zaphod changed the title to Sonic Frontiers Prologue: Convergence Comic

Nice, looking forward to it! SEGA's really putting a lot of online complementary media up for Frontiers, aren't they?

I was just sent the large scale version of the cover from SEGA PR, download and go nuts. :D

2022-10-14-frontiers-convergence-cover-large.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Do we have confirmation on who drew it? I saw some users saying it was Evan Stanley, but I don't know if it really fits her style?

...But also, every comic artist on the series these days is so consistently stellar that it's hard for me to tell anymore.

23 minutes ago, caitash said:

Evan said she did the line art but didn’t mention doing the pencils, so that might explain the faces looking very Evan-ish but maybe not completely looking like her usual style.

If she did the line art, it means she did everything besides the colors I think. Think it mostly looks a little different from her usual style because the colors don't appear to be from the usual colorists from the Sonic comics.

Amy having the Piko Piko Hammer seems to be a good sign, if not for this specific game, at least for the next one!! :) :)

I think that there is a small but real chance of some sort of Good Future versions of each island either as the postgame, or, some kind of DLC, that all of the characters will be able to explore!!  perhaps the islands' AI will be rewritten to create more surreal, colorful enemyesque characters that will work with each of the characters' playstyles, whereas it seems like the original enemies could basically only be fought by Sonic!! 

• Nice Smile 1

14 hours ago, Zaysho said:

If she did the line art, it means she did everything besides the colors I think. Think it mostly looks a little different from her usual style because the colors don't appear to be from the usual colorists from the Sonic comics.

Ah yes, sorry I’m getting confused since usually it’s split into pencils and inking and I mistook line art for inking when I read her tweet. It just looks a little off from her normal high standard which is throwing me off. Maybe it’s the perspective messing with my eyes (Amy looks like she’s supposed to be stood on the wing behind Sonic, but with the perspective she looks like she’s stood above Tails when the wing doesn’t go that far back). I’m sure that the actual contents will be as good as usual though :)

9 minutes ago, Razule said:

Dialogue is weirdly awkward, and I know it's a fake Eggman, but uh.. I think I might be tired of the "lol, he said the thing he said before" references now

To be fair, there's a reason it's repetitive. It's pre-recorded dialogue essentially.

Great artwork, as usual. Pretty cool the Sonic comics have such a consistent great quality to them, compared to Archie and Fleetway's occasional wacky art choices. Love it.

Other then the art, I'm utterly baffled by this comic.

So these prequels are meant to set us up for Sonic Frontiers, a game about a mystery and somberness.
So what does the prequel comic do to prepare us for this risky new take on the franchise and mentally prepare us to the right mindset?
Memes.
Of course.

Hah. Now I do hope that fake Eggman does show up in Frontiers proper, if only because how hilariously out of place having Eggman spout out meme lines is in a game that otherwise has the atmosphere of a funeral.

Man, I'm so bummed out that Frontiers has such a miserable atmosphere to begin with, I'm desperatly waiting for either the story or gameplay to make that lack of energy and excitement feel approperate so at least I understand WHY a game with gameplay focusing on freedom, wacky side activities, epic battles and a generic videogame plot has the enthusiasm of a French Art Movie about crippling despair.
This Prequel comic ain't helping.

Heh, I'm always mocking the Sonic Forces Prequel comics for being so clumsy in filling up the plotholes, but AT LEAST they represented the War theme the main game had.

But hey, the art is nice, so that's cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

I immediately eye rolled at the meme dialogue but it was at least a little justified by being a fake dummy or whatever.

Still referencing lines like that lost it’s charm like a 5 years ago so I’m very read for it stop being a thing 

I'm gonna be honest, this was kind of a weak prologue. It felt like something that could've been told through text before the opening cutscene, and if anything it'd probably would've added more mystery to the game if it was.

The comic is still good don't get me wrong, but it doesn't really do much for me either?

11 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

It's promo material. All it's meant to do is draw attention to the game. Not everything needs to be Meet the Medic.

Well by that logic, the upcoming Knuckles animation is also just promo material, even though it's supposed to be a "prologue".

AKA: Something vital to the story of the game!

1 hour ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Well by that logic, the upcoming Knuckles animation is also just promo material, even though it's supposed to be a "prologue".

It's promo material because it's made for the game, but not actually in the game...it's an ad in the form of a comic.

That's literally all that means, it'll tell us the bare minimum of what we need to know going in of things important to the story...but since this is the type of thing that would naturally be implied during the game's actual story, it's more important that this comic just be an entertaining first introduction to story.

I doubt this is reaching much of anyone who isn't already plenty aware of the game. And if it is, there isn't really anything going on in it that would push people to pay attention to it.

It's certainly not hurting anything but it also doesn't feel like there's any reason for it besides that they could do it.