Awoo.

What moments did Sonic himself actually acted really scary?

Rabbitearsblog

So, we all know that Sonic the Hedgehog is pretty much a happy go lucky guy most of the time.  But, what about the times where he acts a bit scary?  Whether it be towards his foes or towards his allies?  There were a few moments where Sonic was actually pretty intimidating when he gets pushed too far and I'm curious about what moments, whether it was through the comics, the TV shows, the games or the movies, that you thought that Sonic was actually pretty scary?

There are two moments that stood out to me in the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and one of them was:

w9rsfks1jdvz.webp

So, this moment has Sonic attacking Silver the Hedgehog, who started accusing both Antoine and Bunnie of being traitors, when the reality is that Antoine was injured in his battle against Mecha Sally and Bunnie ran away after Antoine got hurt.  I found Sonic to be really intimidating in this scene because we rarely see Sonic attack his allies with such ferocity.

qHFt7bMazcavTa7ABJcigMxhqOp1LAvmTe-9kFDo99w.webp

This was during the Archie Sonic comic story line where Dr. Eggman succeeded in destroying Knothole Village and this massively angers Sonic to the point where he tries to gain enough power to ram into Dr. Eggman's machine.  As you can see here, Sonic looked really insane in this image and I will admit that I got chills seeing this panel and seeing Sonic this angry at his foe.

• The title was changed to What moments did Sonic himself actually acted really scary?

I personally find it hard to ever see Blue Mickey Mouse with giant Muppet hands as "scary."

But it's nice when he has other emotions besides smugness all the time.

1479249707_sonicserious.thumb.jpg.0ae6e4f700146e24fa61f5b201c010cb.jpg

I like sudden moments where, just for a second, the good hero that always saves the day makes you stop and think of just what they could do if they decided to not be so nice cause someone went a step too far. Even if it's just a small thought. This page in particular nails that nicely without going too far.

Also, the Sonic in the "whoosh" panel looks hilarious in contrast and I love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

I like sudden moments where, just for a second, the good hero that always saves the day makes you stop and think of just what they could do if they decided to not be so nice cause someone went a step too far. Even if it's just a small thought. This page in particular nails that nicely without going too far.

Also, the Sonic in the "whoosh" panel looks hilarious in contrast and I love it.

Yeah, I remembered that moment!  Just the fact that Sonic would threaten anyone is pretty scary!

I'm curious about that too! I've read stories about him being scary, but in actual sonic universe I've never heard of Sonic being scary or intimidating. I would also like to know the times he intimidated people.

6 hours ago, Talia the Wolf said:

I'm curious about that too! I've read stories about him being scary, but in actual sonic universe I've never heard of Sonic being scary or intimidating. I would also like to know the times he intimidated people.

Like whenever Sonic is threatening people or turning dark in a way.  Like for example, there's his first transformation into Dark Super Sonic in Sonic X.

Dark_Super_Sonic.webp

18 hours ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

I like mad Sonic.

57 minutes ago, Sonic Fan 3,183 said:

I like mad Sonic.

Me too! I wish we saw more of him!

16 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Like whenever Sonic is threatening people or turning dark in a way.  Like for example, there's his first transformation into Dark Super Sonic in Sonic X.

Oh, I Love when he does that, and then he scares the living daylights out of whoever just challenged him. It's so hilarious when they get scared, especially Doctor Eggman. Haha!

6 hours ago, Talia the Wolf said:

Oh, I Love when he does that, and then he scares the living daylights out of whoever just challenged him. It's so hilarious when they get scared, especially Doctor Eggman. Haha!

Yeah, it's where I think that Sonic is at his most interesting as a character!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Yeah, it's where I think that Sonic is at his most interesting as a character!

I agree! It's so fun to see him like that!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fleetway Sonic. Wait do you mean the games? I've never seen him as scary, although the Werehog in the highly detailed CGI from the opening and ending of Unleashed could have made for a horrifying jump scare.

But seriously, Fleetway Sonic, just don't put him with SatAM's Robotnik..

12 minutes ago, Darkness Void said:

Fleetway Sonic. Wait do you mean the games? I've never seen him as scary, although the Werehog in the highly detailed CGI from the opening and ending of Unleashed could have made for a horrifying jump scare.

But seriously, Fleetway Sonic, just don't put him with SatAM's Robotnik..

Especially whenever Fleetway Sonic transforms into Super Sonic!

On 11/15/2022 at 7:50 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

Especially whenever Fleetway Sonic transforms into Super Sonic!

That's what I meant. I forgot his official name is still Super Sonic, but I've always called him Fleetway Sonic.

9 hours ago, Darkness Void said:

That's what I meant. I forgot his official name is still Super Sonic, but I've always called him Fleetway Sonic.

I do like Super Sonic's interpretation in Fleetway comics though.  It's way different from how the American version portrayed Super Sonic.

13 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do like Super Sonic's interpretation in Fleetway comics though.  It's way different from how the American version portrayed Super Sonic.

I always wondered what inspired that take on Super Sonic. And I wondered what his future was planned to be..

Cursed cancelation.

12 minutes ago, Darkness Void said:

I always wondered what inspired that take on Super Sonic. And I wondered what his future was planned to be..

Cursed cancelation.

I hate it when these books get cancelled.

6 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I hate it when these books get cancelled.

At least Archie rebooted theirs. Up til the current comics.

2 minutes ago, Darkness Void said:

At least Archie rebooted theirs. Up til the current comics.

Yeah but even then, Archie had a lot of plot threads dangling because of the reboot, like what happened with the Mecha Sally arc, which had literally just started before they rebooted the universe.

12 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Yeah but even then, Archie had a lot of plot threads dangling because of the reboot, like what happened with the Mecha Sally arc, which had literally just started before they rebooted the universe.

Wouldn't be surprised if the reboot was all in Mecha Sally's mind.

16 minutes ago, Darkness Void said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the reboot was all in Mecha Sally's mind.

That would have been a pretty interesting concept to explore!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 2:36 PM, Darkness Void said:

Cursed cancelation.

Nigel Kitching has discussed this. Early in the comic's run, he was playing Sonic 2 and became Super Sonic. He thought that Super Sonic was difficult to control and was erratic in nature, leading to him coming up with the idea that Super Sonic would be a chaotic, difficult to control character.

Also, remember the chaos emeralds early in STC were enfused with all the evil of Mobius (Dr. Kintobor was trying to instill all the evil of the world in the emeralds to contain it). The chaos emeralds were unstable when outside of cold environments and would often transport back to the special zone. Sonic accidently was infused with chaos energy when this happened once, absorbing the negative energy, so that's the in-universe explanation.

Later in the series when the (much more powerful due to recombination) chaos emeralds are back on The Floating Island, Sonic accidently falls into the pit housing the emeralds, reinvigorating Super Sonic, which is when he gets the fangs and can shoot lasers out his eyes and becomes completely unmanegable whatsoever (when before he could at least be talked into stuff, here he acts completely on his own accord). There was a long period of time where Super Sonic was a different being than Sonic (it's a long story), and then at the very end of the series was refused back into Sonic. When Tails asked what would happenig Sonic became stressed out again, Sonic said that maybe nothing would happen at all (but he does return as I will explain)

Nigel Kitching has written the canonical end for Sonic the Comic (called Exit:Sonic; you can find it on STC online). Porker manages to siphon off all the residual chaos energy from Sonic to place back into the emeralds, allowing him to manipulate the chaos energy. He manages to get rid of Super Sonic (who has somehow become separate again) and to transform Robotnik back into Kintobor. So it seems Super Sonic became seperate once again somehow after the end of the print series, but is finally wiped from existence by Porker. 

• 4 weeks later...

A moment that has never sat right with many Sonic fans is the ending of Sonic and the Black Knight.  Most of the story plays out more-or-less how you'd expect, with Sonic being summoned by Merlina to save the world of Camelot, and doing a bunch of things to do just that...and then comes the ending when Merlina gets all meta and reveals she knows that the legend of King Arthur is (mostly) a work of fiction that ends unhappily, with her work having the intent of changing that so they can endure forever, and once Sonic learns of this, he seemingly goes against what he's been doing for the whole game and fights her to ensure that Camelot still comes to an unhappy and abrupt ending, because "every story needs an ending".

There's a lot of reasons why this really, really doesn't stick the landing that go beyond the uncomfortable implications of Sonic betraying people and letting them die.  At first glance it seems hypocritical because Sonic's story, by all evidence, really does not have an ending; it's fated to keep getting new installments come what may, and Sonic may well get horribly degraded and widely despised in those new installments but he'll be alive, and his friends may get confined to lame support roles but they'll be alive, too, so who is Sonic to tell someone who isn't so lucky that she should just accept not being so lucky?!  But the more I thought of this, the more I realized that King Arthur, the Knights of the Round Table, Merlin, etc, actually are in a similar situation to the Sonic series; they're far more literary than historical figures, almost everyone has heard of them, so come Heaven or Hell, and real history and original literary ending notwithstanding, they will continue to reappear in new stories.  So ultimately, Sonic and the Black Knight is a story whose hero and villain both have motives that don't make any sense, since if we're meant to presume they both are aware they were fictional characters and what would become of their fiction, then neither of them really has much to be scared about.  Annoyed, yes, but not scared.

Now that I think of it, this would likely have made a lot more sense if the game treated the tales of Camelot as history rather than fiction, and Sonic ultimately opposing Merlina was actually about not playing God because he understood that if he changed the past, a lot of innocents in the future would be adversely affected.  Of course, it would still be an extremely fictionalized version of history, but that could play into the premise I described; the more warped the story of Camelot got due to Sonic and co being there, the more Sonic would recognize he shouldn't be tampering with such things.

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

A moment that has never sat right with many Sonic fans is the ending of Sonic and the Black Knight.  Most of the story plays out more-or-less how you'd expect, with Sonic being summoned by Merlina to save the world of Camelot, and doing a bunch of things to do just that...and then comes the ending when Merlina gets all meta and reveals she knows that the legend of King Arthur is (mostly) a work of fiction that ends unhappily, with her work having the intent of changing that so they can endure forever, and once Sonic learns of this, he seemingly goes against what he's been doing for the whole game and fights her to ensure that Camelot still comes to an unhappy and abrupt ending, because "every story needs an ending".

There's a lot of reasons why this really, really doesn't stick the landing that go beyond the uncomfortable implications of Sonic betraying people and letting them die.  At first glance it seems hypocritical because Sonic's story, by all evidence, really does not have an ending; it's fated to keep getting new installments come what may, and Sonic may well get horribly degraded and widely despised in those new installments but he'll be alive, and his friends may get confined to lame support roles but they'll be alive, too, so who is Sonic to tell someone who isn't so lucky that she should just accept not being so lucky?!  But the more I thought of this, the more I realized that King Arthur, the Knights of the Round Table, Merlin, etc, actually are in a similar situation to the Sonic series; they're far more literary than historical figures, almost everyone has heard of them, so come Heaven or Hell, and real history and original literary ending notwithstanding, they will continue to reappear in new stories.  So ultimately, Sonic and the Black Knight is a story whose hero and villain both have motives that don't make any sense, since if we're meant to presume they both are aware they were fictional characters and what would become of their fiction, then neither of them really has much to be scared about.  Annoyed, yes, but not scared.

Now that I think of it, this would likely have made a lot more sense if the game treated the tales of Camelot as history rather than fiction, and Sonic ultimately opposing Merlina was actually about not playing God because he understood that if he changed the past, a lot of innocents in the future would be adversely affected.  Of course, it would still be an extremely fictionalized version of history, but that could play into the premise I described; the more warped the story of Camelot got due to Sonic and co being there, the more Sonic would recognize he shouldn't be tampering with such things.

So the scary part is that Sonic is willing to let people die?

See I don't know if this really counts but, the moment I begin to drown in any of the 16-bit Genesis games. It terrifies me to see Sonic arms out wide as he sinks into dark blue abyss, I can't swim in real life and suck at staying out of the water in Chemical Plant Zone (ACT 2!). I remember my friends teasing me about it one April Fool's Day with the stupid drowning music. Anyways if that doesn't count then the ending of Secret Rings is definitely up there. (Spoilers For Sonic and The Secret Rings) 

Spoiler

When he turns Darkspine Sonic to face Alf Layla wa-Layla it was both unexpected that he'd absorb the world rings of rage, sadness and hatred. He unwillingly assumed the form but I can only assume that he felt rage, sadness and hatred toward the Erazor Djinn which is when we see Sonic get mad which in Sonic X as mentioned earlier results in Dark Sonic tearing through everything. (Quite scary 😬)