Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW): Scrapnik Island #1 - Reaction and Impressions.

Kuzu

1st issue is out now.

The setting for this is pretty unique in all honesty, an island of decommissioned badniks has only ever been explored a few times. Not much in the way of plot as this is obviously setup.

I'm curious on when and where this takes place.

• Thumbs Up 2

I LOVE IT. It was creative and well paced! I was looking forward to it and it met my expectations. I love the stylistic change with the art as well.

I think my only problem is that Sonic randomly gets nerfed which has been a recurring element in this series.

This also proves my long standing theory that concept driven, episodic adventures work best for a Sonic series.

I really liked this issue. It was quite creepy seeing all those busted up old badniks chase after Sonic.

I do wonder if the Scrapniks could become potential recurring antagonists for the comics after this mini series.

Seeing Sonic get freaked out is cathartic to me, no matter how much I love him. The stutter and turn when he goes "WHO'S THERE?!" and then sees the creepy monkey-pillar.

Then the adorable nerd geek out Tails has at the end. Love to see it.

The art is great of course. I had some Silent Hill 2 music playing for this. That and Singularity from Persona 5 Strikers. 

ATMOSPHERE!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, QZX343 said:

I do wonder if the Scrapniks could become potential recurring antagonists for the comics after this mini series.

or potential allies

BTW, we have some new info and promo art!

Scrapnik Mecha Sonic 2 Point Turnaround

Ffcn-kWXwAIA844?format=jpg&name=large

Natalie F: Scrapnik Island #1 is OUT!! TODAY!! RIGHT NOW!!!

So last but not least, here are my simplified turnarounds for Mecha Sonic MKII!!! My boy!!

I hope you enjoy the first issue! There is so much more fun to come next month.

Now that I get a better look at him, it seems his left leg is the saw horn of a Hackules (aka Mekabu) from the Metallic Madness Zone

Scrapnik Island Promo Art by Natalie Haines

Ffc1IE0WAAAPEpX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Scrapnik Island Promo & Concept Art by Deegeemin

FfcpIUJXkAY71TZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ffc_j4PXwAowxnR?format=jpg&name=large

Here are some of my Scrapnik contributions that showed up in this issue hehe. Still got a few more to show off later down the line so stay tuned!!

Scrapnik Concept Art by Thomas

Ffb1PCmWAAEvD4N?format=png&name=900x900

Sonic the Hedgehog: Scrapnik Island #1 is out!  You can go to a comic shop, and it'll just be sittin' there.  On a shelf!  (or a rack- I don't know your shop's situation!)

If you see my meager contribution, Nevin, in there - give him a lil' pet.  He's a good Little Guy.

• Thumbs Up 3

So far I like it. Nice atmospheric start. Arguably we seen those concepts before, but never with such spooky vibe.

Many questions remain. What's with the flower? Why only one bot talks? Who gathered them in one place.

And will Belle have to move to here? Seems like exactly what she was looking for, bunch of badniks needing help.

14 hours ago, Slashy said:

I think my only problem is that Sonic randomly gets nerfed which has been a recurring element in this series.

And I think this is one of best parts. This story seems to be going for a horror vibe. (I hope. If next issues drop it I'll be deeply disappointed.) So obviously Sonic must be weak and helpless. And frankly having a broken leg like that is exactly what first-person horror game could do to justify your character being slow and awkwardly moving. Tails is fine, but I'm assuming he'll get captured or at least separated from Sonic, making situation more tense, not less.

I'm a bit sad because I was under impression Knuckles will be in this story. That's my fault for making assumptions, but like I said recently Tails gets all the love and Knuckles really needs some action. Oh well, no point in complain about "what ifs".

My only real (...real-ish) concern is how next issues will work. Because to me set up is only as good as payoff. Everyone can promise "Batman Vs Superman", only to deliver "Dawn of Justice" instead, so to speak.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nathalie Fourdraine should do more coloring on the book. Her colors really made Jack Lawrence's pencils pop.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think one or two earlier reports mistakenly listed it being a Sonic and Knuckles story instead of a Sonic and Tails one, so I can understand people being disappointed at his absence based on that early incorrect info.

I really liked the first issue. The artwork and colours really go hand in hand. And the story is interesting. I’m not sure how much communication goes on between the different writers of main-series and mini-series, it just feels oddly co-incidental that Sonic has injuries on the same leg in both running* storylines atm.

(*pun entirely intended)

Love how fitting this is for Halloween season, and it shows how some past writers just could not see the raw, awesome potential of the game elements sitting right in front of them.

What gets me, though, is Mecha Sonic. Isn't he considered exclusively Classic? It's weird that they can have him here, unless that whole delineation was removed?

• Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

Love how fitting this is for Halloween season, and it shows how some past writers just could not see the raw, awesome potential of the game elements sitting right in front of them.

What gets me, though, is Mecha Sonic. Isn't he considered exclusively Classic? It's weird that they can have him here, unless that whole delineation was removed?

Basically, from what people who have worked and / or still work on the comic have said, SEGA considers the 3 (4?) mainline games, 1, CD, 2 and 3 still canonical even for the "modern" side of the series. Some authors, like Flynn, think that this means that all the classic games are again set in past, others that only the Sonic Team  lead games are to be considered part of the previous adventures "modern" Sonic had before Adventure 

Be as it might be, yeah, something akin to the events of Sonic 3 & Knuckles still happened even taking into account the Modern & Classic split. That does not contradict Generations, in a sense. 

Edit - Yeah, before someone brings up Flynn saying "the classic games are once again "the past" " in one of his podcasts, the exact words were "I THINK the classic games etc etc", meaning that even he doesn't know. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, but the nostalgia debris suggests they travel around gathering Eggman's junk. Hard to ignore a random bunch of badnick scrappers dragging around humongous hunks of metal on land and sea.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great atmosphere, really digging the story so far.

I think this story confirms beyond the shadow of a doubt that modern Sonic experienced the classic games, since Mecha Sonic has only ever been encountered in the classic era up until now.

Forces' "another dimension" line can just be chalked up to weird wording now.

One planet, one timeline, all is as it should be.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

Glad we finally have proof that the whole bs "Classic games happened in a separate dimension from Modern games" is over. All hail Mecha Sonic, savior to us all!

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys aren't going to see Fang, Bean, Bark, the Tails' Adventure / Skypatrol bad guys among others in the mainline comic anytime soon from what I have already said and understood, by the way.

It's still not "one planet, one timeline", because we still have two sub-franchises with two different logos. 

Just enjoy the story for what it is and try not to look too much into it

• Thumbs Up 3

Seeing Deegeemin's art in an official Sonic comic makes me super happy. I love his Sonic drawings and always thought about how cool it would be if he was hired by IDW.

Really enjoyed this first chapter and the art. The coloring in each page is simply fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never actually considered Sonic having a busted leg was to simulate an actual horror environment; and it works. Take the one thing Sonic is known for and put him in a dangerous environment. Just does wonders. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Mecha Sonic was never in trouble regarding "classic is a separate branch" the megadrive trilogy was always canon just please enjoy the comic for what it is

• Thumbs Up 4

17 hours ago, Ducktor Naldush said:

Basically, from what people who have worked and / or still work on the comic have said, SEGA considers the 3 (4?) mainline games, 1, CD, 2 and 3 still canonical even for the "modern" side of the series.

This more or less tracks with Forces since it vaguely alludes to the Genesis games (and already implied the Death Egg wasn't something new to the cast). Not ideal, but makes enough sense and I'm glad Nack, et al. at least get to turn up on the "classic" side even if the split is still stupid. Is what it is.

Issue was pretty fun. Rather liked the early horror setup before the twist. Regardless of what we know about the books' production or whatever guesses we could have had, was still hype seeing S3K Mecha Sonic again. Lawrence and Fourdraine's colors are a damn treat too.

16 hours ago, Ducktor Naldush said:

You guys aren't going to see Fang, Bean, Bark, the Tails' Adventure / Skypatrol bad guys among others in the mainline comic anytime soon

Uhm... source?

what can I tell you, keep waiting for them, mate, I have already explained why in detail

and that's it

On 10/20/2022 at 12:42 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

So far I like it. Nice atmospheric start. Arguably we seen those concepts before, but never with such spooky vibe.

Many questions remain. What's with the flower? Why only one bot talks? Who gathered them in one place.

And will Belle have to move to here? Seems like exactly what she was looking for, bunch of badniks needing help.

And I think this is one of best parts. This story seems to be going for a horror vibe. (I hope. If next issues drop it I'll be deeply disappointed.) So obviously Sonic must be weak and helpless. And frankly having a broken leg like that is exactly what first-person horror game could do to justify your character being slow and awkwardly moving. Tails is fine, but I'm assuming he'll get captured or at least separated from Sonic, making situation more tense, not less.

I'm a bit sad because I was under impression Knuckles will be in this story. That's my fault for making assumptions, but like I said recently Tails gets all the love and Knuckles really needs some action. Oh well, no point in complain about "what ifs".

My only real (...real-ish) concern is how next issues will work. Because to me set up is only as good as payoff. Everyone can promise "Batman Vs Superman", only to deliver "Dawn of Justice" instead, so to speak.

I would not have complained if this already was not used in the Impostors arc to nerf him. I get that probably is not fair, but it is repetitive now.

4 hours ago, Ducktor Naldush said:

what can I tell you, keep waiting for them, mate, I have already explained why in detail

and that's it

Oh, so... no source? Ok....

The board that Sonic slides around is the same one Movie Sonic slides on while fighting Movie Knuckles in the 2nd Movie.

• My Emmerdoods 1

On 10/20/2022 at 8:42 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Tails is fine, but I'm assuming he'll get captured or at least separated from Sonic, making situation more tense, not less.

Actually, based on the solicitations for the other three issues, it seems Sonic will get captured sometime around #2, and Tails will be the one rescuing him by #3.

As a Tails fan, the fact that he's been in a lot if IDW issues doesn't bother me much, although I do understand how you feel. If it was Knuckles getting all the love at the expense of Tails I'd be a bit upset too (Looking at you Paramount!).

• Thumbs Up 2