Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #57: Cover & Info Reveal

Sonictrainer

52443376843_20bf5de52e_c.jpg

With Surge finally out of their quills, the Restoration turns their attention to bringing down the Eggperial City.

It's growing, volatile, and dredging up the surrounding environment...

Jewel sends Sonic, Tangle, & Whisper to investigate, but it unearths some unwanted reminders of the past.

• Scheduled Release Date: January 2023

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 months later...

It just occured to me that the Lanolin inclusion is likely BS: the solicit specifically mentions Sonic, who we know used to be obligated to have a role in each issue of the main book. So either it's another Chao Races situation or the advertising is just flat out wrong.

Its signal boosting for the future.

Lanolin has been Mimic bait for a while now. They are gonna push that angle until they are ready to play that trump card.

45 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It just occured to me that the Lanolin inclusion is likely BS: the solicit specifically mentions Sonic, who we know used to be obligated to have a role in each issue of the main book. So either it's another Chao Races situation or the advertising is just flat out wrong.

She appears in a glorified cameo role.

45 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Lanolin has been Mimic bait for a while now. They are gonna push that angle until they are ready to play that trump card.

Oh joy. A chance to finally do something with her and not only is it long after Amy's jumped ship, but it's likely to follow up on foreshadowing for one of the weakest characters in the comic. 

Guess it explains why Whisper is back in the loop

38 minutes ago, Slashy said:

She appears in a glorified cameo role.

That third cover says otherwise, especially when Sonic would guarantee more buys and Jewel would be relevant otherwise.

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

That third cover says otherwise, especially when Sonic would guarantee more buys and Jewel would be relevant otherwise.

She is the Sonic equivalent of her, it still makes sense for her to be just slightly more than a cameo.

(This used to be Big, but Big is now too important of a character)

spacer.png

>Big

>Important

??????

I mean yeah he appears more but outside of MAYBE Prime he doesn't impact the plot of anything? 

3 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

>Big

>Important

??????

I mean yeah he appears more but outside of MAYBE Prime he doesn't impact the plot of anything? 

That still puts him above characters like Cream.

It all depends on how you define "important"

Big isn't as important as Core Cast (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, maybe Shadow), but recently appeared in
- Prime (side role, but still, very small cast)
- Frontiers (side roll, but again, even smaller cast)
- Team Sonic Racing (larger cast, but fully playable, with decent amount of dialogue)

That's a really large boost for him (his previous last major appearance was... probably Sega All-Star Racing in 2010). Especially if you compare him to Espio, Blaze, Silver, or Metal Sonic, all technically more popular characters, but 2022 wasn't nearly as kind for them.

3 hours ago, Slashy said:

She is the Sonic equivalent of her, it still makes sense for her to be just slightly more than a cameo.

(This used to be Big, but Big is now too important of a character)

spacer.png

The thing is Muffins was mostly a background character who very occasionally interacted with the Mane Six; putting Lanolin on two covers where she's that at the center of attention, especially when she's one of the only characters present, is misleading if she doesn't actually have a role.

12 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It all depends on how you define "important"

Big isn't as important as Core Cast (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, maybe Shadow), but recently appeared in
- Prime (side role, but still, very small cast)
- Frontiers (side roll, but again, even smaller cast)
- Team Sonic Racing (larger cast, but fully playable, with decent amount of dialogue)

That's a really large boost for him (his previous last major appearance was... probably Sega All-Star Racing in 2010). Especially if you compare him to Espio, Blaze, Silver, or Metal Sonic, all technically more popular characters, but 2022 wasn't nearly as kind for them.

Add in how he was officially retired for a while and it becomes even more noteworthy.

This arc screams Whisper centric to me. Whisper being reunited with Tangle on a mission, diamonds everywhere, androids like the one who killed her team. Seems like the new Diamond Cutters may become a thing.

I also would be upset if Lanolin was just Mimic after all of her appearances...

And Big is definitely more relevant at the moment than plenty of Sonic characters, he is more important than Espio, Charmy, Cream, Jet, Zavok and Zazz, Chaos, Omega, Orbot and Cubot etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I would be extremely dissapointed if that was the case. The whole idea of [insert new character here] being Mimic undercover it's so (so) predictable.

On the other hand, I think Mimic is still a pretty one-dimensional villain to be used as a recurrent character.

If the whole Mimic Lanolin thing does turn out to be true, I would hope that once that plot element resolves, it would see the reintroduction of the real Lanolin back into the fold, rather than effectively killing the character off or revealing she was always fake.

Anyway, as given by my avatar, I love Whisper and I love Tangle, so if this arc gives them alot to do, I'm definetly all for it. I definetly think Whisper could use a win especially, I just want the wolf girl to be happy damn it. Bonus points for anything that adds to the lesbian fan fiction.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:23 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

Might be interesting if they end up pushing her to a more prominent role.

6 hours ago, UberHoax said:

I would be extremely dissapointed if that was the case. The whole idea of [insert new character here] being Mimic undercover it's so (so) predictable

Yeah, it's predictable - but it's a narrative thing. There are really only two characters that check all the boxes. Lanolin and Jewel. 

First off, whoever mimic replaces needs to be a character that can believably be killed off, so that crosses off every canon character. Even if you don't plan on having mimic kill whoever he replaces, you want to leave open that illusion to make mimic more intimidating. Lan could be tied up in a closet somewhere, but you can have your cake and eat it too by not revealing that. 

If he replaces, say Espio. Then there is no threat of murder and the story has less tension. 

Next you want someone tangent to Whisper (and to Tangle by extension). Mimic will want to keep eyes on his targets. A resistance member is a no brainer. Especially one that teams up with tangle or whisper and/or calls the shots. 

Third you'll want someone who's abilities and personality can be easily replicated without detection. Lan was acting fairly awkward recently but no one cared because no one knows her that well. Ditto for Jewel. Mimic would only need to fool Tangle for that to work. 

You could still do something creative with the reveal, but you can sniff out where this is headed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think Lanolin is going to be Mimic solely based off of Ian's "there were no plans for her until the popularity made us reconsider" statements in the past. They might have repurposed her into being that, which would be lame, but she wasn't intended to from the start, at least.

Its not even really a repurpose. They weren't using her for anything anyway. 

Artists just like sneaking things in past the sensors and she kinda stuck cause people like her design. She's got face recognition credibility which gives her value as a plant. 

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Its not even really a repurpose. They weren't using her for anything anyway. 

Artists just like sneaking things in past the sensors and she kinda stuck cause people like her design. She's got face recognition credibility which gives her value as a plant. 

That would be ignoring the personality she does have in all her earlier appearances, though, during the metal virus when Mimic is locked away already. It's beyond not using her for anything and basically doing away with one of the few resistance-members that felt like she could be someone more if the spotlight focused on her.