Awoo.

Sonic X (Japanese Dub) to receive official English subbed Blu-Rays in Winter 2023

ZinogreVolt
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into The Entire Japanese Sonic X Series Is Coming To Blu-Ray at some point.

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

ZinogreVolt was awarded the badge 'Sonic News Tipster' and 10 points.

Just announced, licensed by Discotek Media. All episodes plus the pilot in one set:

• Thumbs Up 7

Absolutely overjoyed. ONLY black mark is they confirmed in the stream that they weren't able to include the Off Course songs for episodes 26 and 52 due to TMS not having the rights to them anymore (they only ever played during the initial television broadcast, not the DVD releases or streams). But sad as that is, I'm still incredibly happy the Japanese version is coming out with a ton of stuff that also wasn't sure to be included (NEPs!).

This gives me two immediate thoughts:

1. Having 5.1 audio is going to make producing an uncut dub fanedit so much easier whenever people give it a shot. EDIT: oops nope, it's just the couple 5.1 episodes we've had for years. Sadge

2. I'm imagining the hilarity of a parent purchasing the fun Sonic cartoon for their kid and discovering there's no English option.

I did actually dream this would happen. I settled on buying the blu ray of all the dub episodes (thinking I could try and hack it but...) but I really, really wanted one of the sub. 

I've tried my best with the 4kids dub because I unconditionally loved it as a dumb kid but nowadays I can't. I think I could handle the voices and even the constant puns but the awful, neverending 4kids clown music just ruins it for me. It's disasterously bad. 

Also, it being uncut helps a lot. 

So yeah, I'm all over this. I still haven't gotten the Boom blu ray but this is a day one deal for me.

Good news. I don't like Sonic X but I'm going to buy it anyway, eventually. Discotek's been trying to get ahold of the Japanese version for years and all of their anime releases are extremely solid, so I have faith that the product itself will be high quality and worthy of support.

• Thumbs Up 2

What countries will this release in, last time for the English ones they didn't give a European release.

• Way Past Cool 1

Over in the UK we only got 8 episodes released over 4 volumes. However seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix but not season 3 which sucks. 

Thrilled about this, it sucks that we'll never have a PERFECT release (the off-course song scenes just don't hit the same with the replacement music, I'm too nostalgic for the original airings) but the fact that this exists at all is a miracle.

Sonic X was my entry point into online Sonic fandom, so it holds extreme sentimental value for me, really represents those carefree early internet days in my teenage life, and the dub just did not cut it.  I'd love to finally own the version I care about for sure after all these times, even if I have to buy a region-free blu-ray disc drive for my PC to watch it lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted By: KemoNova

OMG I want this so much!!! An other great piece from 2000’s Modern Sonic I won’t forget ! ✨

between this and their announced release of digimon adventure, I can only hope some of the legacy of the dubs gets erased

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty frustrating this probably won't get a UK/EU release again. Sonic X's home release status in the UK was a trash heap back in the 2000s and the fact even now, when we're getting complete boxsets, and even the Japanese dub finally released officially, they still can't make it a worldwide thing. 

YESSS....this made my freakin' day!!  Long story short, I was having a rather uneventful day in my call center job and got a rather nasty person to talk to as my last call today.  I was feeling rather bleh after that.  So seeing THIS after my day ended made me SMILE.  Woot!!

I’m so glad I waited for this!! Didn’t get the other releases because I didn’t want the dub. Surprised this is happening!!

This is fantastic news and it made me ecstatic when I found out about it the other day. It probably wasn't easy for DiscoTek to do this AND because of its niche nature, it'll probably be a very limited run. If you're interested make sure you get one ASAP since there's no guarantee it'll really be around for long.

Posted By: Shard the Angel

Good call Discotek, people are only familiar with the butchered 4Kids version not knowing how superior the original Japanese episodes are

With that being said, I cant believe it’s been 20 years ._.

Posted By: LexLynx

So excited, I remember watching Sonic X in Japanese on bootleg DVDs with atrocious subtitles back in the day. Everything in this collection looks awesome, but I really hope the insert songs by the band Off Course (TV Airing) are retained for episodes 26 (Kotoba ni Dekinai) and 52 (Midori no Hibi & Natsu no Hi) These songs are such an important part of the emotional impact for these episodes and the lyrics are surprisingly relevant!

MEGA POG NEWS OMG

I was at one point slowly subtitling the Japanese DVD releases with the Hulu subs (lots of errors in those) so nice to see it's getting an official release!! I thought this was never going to happen given how much time had passed since the English releases. Will definitely be grabbing this up! And it'll finally give me an excuse to finish the JP dub :V

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 6:58 PM, LexLynx said:

I really hope the insert songs by the band Off Course (TV Airing) are retained for episodes 26 (Kotoba ni Dekinai) and 52 (Midori no Hibi & Natsu no Hi)

Discotek confirmed that they aren’t, unfortunately. But that’s something the Japanese fanbase has had to deal with for a long time now for their DVD releases, it’s just our turn LOL. It seems like the rights to distribute those songs were lost fairly early on. :C

I’m also super hyped for this though! And I’m just glad the above issue won’t affect Live And Learn.

• 6 months later...

Finally got this and a multi-region player yesterday, planning to rewatch an ep a day.

After much anticipation, Sonic's "shit" in episode 2 is... completely intact and subbed, huh. Guess that's what a lack of age rating & not being officially endorsed by SEGA gets you!