Awoo.

IDW Sonic the Hedgehog #54 - Reader impressions

Red

IDW Sonic #54 just came out so figured I'd make a topic for reader impressions. What are everyone's thoughts on the issue?

I personally LOVED it. Absolute banger issue from beginning to end. Kit really stands out in this one. I love him.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just got through reading it.

I really really liked it. The moment I read page 14 and got to the bottom left panel I out loud said "oooohhh f***" see Kit show up at that exact moment. Classic story writing but it still really, really hits home.

I'm intrigued to see where they'll take the mental aspect of the story.

Kit knows he's hard-coded to follow Surge and do everything in his power to serve and protect her and is fully OK with it. Never once do you see Kit actively doubt or pause in his action to serve Surge. He might question the method used, but not the motive.

Surge on the other hand is the one who acts to be IN control but is actively LOSING control. Her state of mind clearly shows this while her actions show she's going to all sorts of strains and efforts to get things under her control even if she doesn't understand how it works. ex. forcing her own lightning to supercharge the Dynamo to blow up the batteries sapping the power even though that might not be how the Dynamo is supposed to work.

And that last panel with Surge and Kit just melts my heart. Takes me back to old depictions of Sonic being the brother figure to Tails... It's sweet.

Finally, I put my hands on the issue.

First, I have weirdly mixed feelings about art. It's still gorgeous, with some very dramatic shoots, and great expressions. But anyone else feels action scenes feel more... static? Pun not intended. It's subtle, but putting 53 & 54 back to back, Evan's art feels a bit like character posing, when they are supposed to be pushed or hit with massive speeds. IDK, I might be a terrible nitpicker.

As for the story itself, Surge proves she can be a force to be reckoned with, only losing because Sonic had his backup while she didn't. And her wisps powers are pretty neat. Kinda wish she didn't trip, that made her look lame. In the end, Tails saves the day. At this point, he's a more competent hero than Sonic.

And finally meat of the story: Kit. For the last few months, I kept asking what's the bloody point of splitting Imposters so early. Arguably I was right, it went nowhere. Kit serving to Sonic lasted half issue, like Tinker and Mr. Needlemouse, what-if scenario is gone before it could go anywhere, we're back at the original status quo. Kinda as if books wants to say "I know your first guess was that Kit will reform one day. Well, I'm spelling it out now: no he won't", which I guess is something to learn, but using 4 issues?
HOWEVER. The "two of us vs the world" mentally Surge and Kit had always a questionable foundation. We knew Kit would do anything for her, but Surge walked this fine line between caring and abusing the little guy. Like Joker to Harley Queen, there was this feeling she might hurt him if it profits her or if she's just really pissed off. And separation did more to change her than him, his support seems to be the only thing keeping Starline Ghost at bay. it looks like she's finally appreciating him. So what I'm hoping the next issue will do, is force a situation where she has to choose between killing Sonic or saving Kit, and she'll pick the latter, sealing the bond between the two. Because after that hug at the end, I can't see them separating.

Overall, solid issue, I'm less mad at the art and more at myself that it bugs me.

At the same time, I'm kiiiinda looking forward to taking a break from Kit & Surge. They have been holding comic pages for a year now

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

They have been holding comic pages for a year now

#56 is the last part of this arc, so we got two more months with them before we get to the next arc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/28/2022 at 1:59 AM, Kuzu said:

#56 is the last part of this arc, so we got two more months with them before we get to the next arc. 

That being said. How much could be told in 2 issues to warrant a break from Kit and Surge at this stage in the story? If anything, I expect we'll see at least 1 more before we get to some sort of a resolution to Kit and Surge's story. Using the 2 last issues for this arc at this stage probably would feel a bit hamfisted.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:34 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

As for the story itself, Surge proves she can be a force to be reckoned with, only losing because Sonic had his backup while she didn't. And her wisps powers are pretty neat. Kinda wish she didn't trip, that made her look lame. In the end, Tails saves the day. At this point, he's a more competent hero than Sonic.

Surge tripping there did make her look like a bumbling fool, would have been way more powerful to see Sonic genuinely concerned in his 'injured-leg' state instead of going for comedic slapstick. To be fair Tails always felt more like a consistent hero, because he makes grounded choices and is less about winging it like Sonic always does.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:34 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

And finally meat of the story: Kit. For the last few months, I kept asking what's the bloody point of splitting Imposters so early. Arguably I was right, it went nowhere. Kit serving to Sonic lasted half issue, like Tinker and Mr. Needlemouse, what-if scenario is gone before it could go anywhere, we're back at the original status quo. Kinda as if books wants to say "I know your first guess was that Kit will reform one day. Well, I'm spelling it out now: no he won't", which I guess is something to learn, but using 4 issues?

It's a powerful drama point to separate them given how joined at the hip Surge and Kit were ever since Starline got his hands on them, but it didn't get a chance to build up to any meaningful payoff. It feels like they simply used it as a throwaway tool that either got too complicated, too long or wasn't fully thought out if they went with it all the way.

Surge & Kit have been around for about a year now, so while I'm personally fine with them, I can see why somebody would want to move on to something else now. 

I thought it worked out. I definitely thought it was too soon and wouldn't feel right if Kit were to stick with Sonic and Tails.

As someone else mentioned, I still feel like Kit and Surge's motivation is shaky. Maybe chalk it up to brain damage from Starline? Right now, I feel like there personalities are just "angry," "misguided," and "definitely not Sonic, Tails, or Scourge."

Overall, the issue was fine. I did want to see more of other heroes having to step up while Sonic is mostly out-of-action. That probably won't last too much longer, but you know. One can hope. 56 issues in, and I still feel like this world is so small because we are also staying with Sonic, and only Sonic. I realize it makes sense for what these comics are intended, but I feel like they've got to do more of these miniseries, like some kind of "Sonic Universe" where they can do worldbuilding (although I realize the sales would probably be pretty low...)