Awoo.

Kuzu

I gotta say I'm really not that worried about Ben "Classic Sonic was the best part of Forces" Croshaw influencing other people's opinions too much

So, they said that there's been some review bombing on Sonic Frontiers? I've looked at the Metacritic site and I just don't see the review bombing.  The game is still holding over a high user score with an 8.3. When I think of review bombing, I think of the game being rated like a 6.0 or a 5.8.

2 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I gotta say I'm really not that worried about Ben "Classic Sonic was the best part of Forces" Croshaw influencing other people's opinions too much

Well, in all fairness, he wouldn't want people review-bombing shit.

Classic Sonic was the best part of Forces tho? I'll admit, I didn't even watch that review.

Finally, the review by the man, the myth, the legend, is in. 

Spoiler

And he likes it.

He expected it to wear down on him, but he found himself enjoying the experience altogether. 

He acknowledges the jank, but finds it a good game and is excited for the future.

Shares the hope of Sonic Team building off of this formula, but also the fear that they'll change up everything again.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, to be more accurate -

Spoiler

He likes it, but is still weary and wouldn’t pay 60 bucks for it. He thinks there’s a irony that what we deemed the best parts of the boost games years ago is the worst part of Frontiers, and wishes the game was able to hold up more on its own merits, rather than feel like a cap off to a era of Sonic games.

Essentially, he thinks it’s good, not great, and thinks it’s a fantastic baseline for things to come, but makes it clear that is what it is, and he arguably doesn’t think 60 bucks is worth it for a foundation of better things, on top of the worry that Sonic Team has done this song and dance before, of providing a good base only to abandon it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Review aggregates, 12 days from release.

Opencritic - 73 "Fair", 87 reviews, 57% of critics recommend

Metacritic:

PS5 - 72 "Mixed and/or average", 74 reviews

Switch - 72 "Mixed and/or average", 9 reviews

Xbox Series X - 58 "Mixed and/or average", 8 reviews

PC - 80 "Generally positive", 6 reviews

-

PS4 - (2 reviews)

Xbox One (No reviews)

Will likely check in a month on from release for another (final?) aggregate update.

A bunch of reviews were added over the week, figured it was worthy enough to do another review aggregate update.

Opencritic - 72 "Fair", 97 reviews, 55% of critics recommend

Metacritic:

PS5 - 73 "Mixed and/or average", 81 reviews

Switch - 70 "Mixed and/or average", 12 reviews

Xbox Series X - 60 "Mixed and/or average", 10 reviews

(Subtracting Sterling's review would put the metascore at 70)

PC - 79 "Generally positive", 9 reviews

-

PS4 - (3 reviews)

Xbox One (No reviews)

Should more reviews continue to be regularly posted, I may start doing weekly updates for some time.

There's now over 100 reviews for Frontiers on Opencritic, and the PS4 version on Metacritic now has enough reviews to garner a metascore, so. Here's an early update.

Opencritic - 72 "Fair", 104 reviews, 55% of critics recommend

Metacritic:

PS5 - 72 "Mixed and/or average", 82 reviews

Switch - 71 "Mixed and/or average", 13 reviews

Xbox Series X - 62 "Mixed and/or average", 11 reviews

PC - 76 "Generally positive", 11 reviews

PS4 - 81 "Generally positive", 4 reviews

-

Xbox One (No reviews)

1 hour ago, Milo said:

There's now over 100 reviews for Frontiers on Opencritic, and the PS4 version on Metacritic now has enough reviews to garner a metascore, so. Here's an early update.

Opencritic - 72 "Fair", 104 reviews, 55% of critics recommend

Metacritic:

PS5 - 72 "Mixed and/or average", 82 reviews

Switch - 71 "Mixed and/or average", 13 reviews

Xbox Series X - 62 "Mixed and/or average", 11 reviews

PC - 76 "Generally positive", 11 reviews

PS4 - 81 "Generally positive", 9 reviews

-

Xbox One (No reviews)

Oooh!  Glad that the PS4 version got lots of positive reviews!

On 11/28/2022 at 11:27 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

Oooh!  Glad that the PS4 version got lots of positive reviews!

That’s actually a mistake on my part, the 81 score is only based on 4 reviews. Gonna go back and edit.

Review aggregates, one month from release. These are likely the "final" metascores for Frontiers.

Opencritic - 72 "Fair", 114 reviews, 54% of critics recommend

Metacritic:

PS5 - 71 "Mixed and/or average", 84 reviews

Switch - 69 "Mixed and/or average", 17 reviews

Xbox Series X - 61 "Mixed and/or average", 12 reviews

PC - 74 "Mixed and/or average", 12 reviews

PS4 - 81 "Generally positive", 4 reviews

-

Xbox One (No reviews)

An average score of 72... Frontiers might be popular with fans and seems to have sold well, but I don't think that this is the reception that Kishimoto, Iizuka and the rest of SEGA wanted. 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

An average score of 72... Frontiers might be popular with fans and seems to have sold well, but I don't think that this is the reception that Kishimoto, Iizuka and the rest of SEGA wanted. 

They were lucky to get that considering how much pop in is present in the game. With their rep from the past dozen years they really needed to lead with a much more polished finished product. Your just inviting the "here we go again" mindset to settle in before it even starts.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

They were lucky to get that considering how much pop in is present in the game. With their rep from the past dozen years they really needed to lead with a much more polished finished product. Your just inviting the "here we go again" mindset to settle in before it even starts.

Hopefully, this will help Sonic Team learn from their mistakes with Frontiers and try to improve on the next Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh boy, this is not gonna go over well.

So James Stephanie Sterling released their top ten worst games of the year video. Guess which one ended up at the end. I'll wait.

He basically reiterates and summarizes every problem he has with the game that he stated in his review, with the only thing he holds back on is mentioning the devs at all. He also calls out the fans who were toxic about the original review, but he takes the high road and says simply that "you guys deserve better than this game".

And to be fair... More than a few of his complaints are entirely valid. Maybe 1/10 is a bit much, but I've seen more than enough of the game to conclude that it really isn't worth spending full price on, or even 50%, considering all the recycled content for the cyberspace levels and the utterly uninspired open world areas (and this is coming from someone who thinks Skyrim is kinda boring without mods, so imagine how I think Frontiers' open world areas look to me). By the time it gets to that point on Steam, hopefully the devs have fixed the PC port's negative mouse acceleration. If they don't it's definitely a 1/10 for me.

James Stephanie Sterling, the one who has vocally stated how much Activision and Microtranscations are fucking shit, puts Sonic Frontiers lower (higher?) than Diablo Immortal, a game with both aforementioned shitstains.

Okay.

3 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

James Stephanie Sterling, the one who has vocally stated how much Activision and Microtranscations are fucking shit, puts Sonic Frontiers lower (higher?) than Diablo Immortal, a game with both aforementioned shitstains.

Okay.

To be fair, despite it being a "top ten", the list isn't numbered, and at least a couple of games come before Frontiers that I'm sure Sterling considers to be even worse (such as the aforementioned Diablo Immortal and Ashigaru: The Last Shugun). I'm pretty sure it's just that he decided to end it with the game he had the most to say about.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Okay.

Mmmhmmm...

And which points in his review or this video summary did you disagree with?

30 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Mmmhmmm...

And which points in his review or this video summary did you disagree with?

Isn't Sterling a she?

And I don't disagree, persay, it just feels...weird that Sterling would do that. Is Frontiers really that bad?

1 hour ago, DaBigJ said:

Isn't Sterling a she?

And I don't disagree, persay, it just feels...weird that Sterling would do that. Is Frontiers really that bad?

No

2 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Isn't Sterling a she?

It's not, but one of Sterling's shticks is going over the top ham on stuff. Not really an endearing trait.