Awoo.

Kuzu

2 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Damn, I was hoping to know sooner rather than later whether the Denuvo hurts PC performance. 

Does it hinder modding?  Because if so, that might be a dealbreaker.

24 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Does it hinder modding?  Because if so, that might be a dealbreaker.

It doesn't hinder modding, but it does negatively affect framerates and such.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

Let's face it, we are all worried about tomorrow.

Not really. I'd say for a lot of us, the reviews aren't gonna matter. I've had my pre-order set for weeks and I still intend to get it either way lol. If the reviews are good, then cool, nice Sonic has a win. If not, I'm sure most with pre-orders or a intent to get it is still probably gonna end up getting it anyways.

Hell, with Christmas right around the corner, and retailers make an actual push for this to be a big game, I'd say it's at least assured quite a lot of kids will be receiving this from Santa this year.

• Thumbs Up 7

Honestly, if Gotham Knights has taught me anything. Even a really good game can get needless hate.

The only reason to potentially worry about reviews, is how SEGA may take things, whether they're legitimate or not.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Scores reviews ain't even out and we're already at three pages....lovely. 

I mean, you made a review thread of an incredibly hyped game, the day before the reviews came in. With anticipation so high, are you really surprised? 

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

It doesn't hinder modding, but it does negatively affect framerates and such.

Hopefully my GPU can just muscle through it, but it shouldn’t be something I have to consider in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Scores reviews ain't even out and we're already at three pages....lovely. 

Well, there's going to be a lot of predictions going around on how this game will be reviewed.

I'm only worried about the reviews because they influence the future of the games. Specially because Sega said they are aiming for high review scores with this game.

I don't think review scores determinante the quality of a game. The only difference between our opinions and professional game reviewers is that they are paid to tell their opinions and we are not

First review has dropped:

https://sirusgaming.com/sonic-frontiers-review/

Overall, Sonic Frontiers was a great experience that was only held back by the minor, but workable camera control jank. Almost every aspect in the game, from the story, the complexity of the gameplay, and even the difficulty curve have reasonable levels of momentum in them, highlighting the sense of “gotta go fast” throughout the game. I can say that both speedsters and casual gamers who like to take things slow can have a fun experience playing this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

I'm surprised they didn't mention the reused assets

Gonna say this now before it gets buried: very few people outside of the core Sonic fandom actually care if any assets or environments are reused. SEGA knows this and that's why it keeps happening. Any shortcuts they can get away with, they'll take.

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Absolutely 2

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Gonna say this now before it gets buried: very few people outside of the core Sonic fandom actually care if any assets or environments are reused. SEGA knows this and that's why it keeps happening. Any shortcuts they can get away with, they'll take.

I want Frontiers to be well-receive because I want them to keep working on the open-zone formula. However, I hope the next game doesn't have Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary again. We have to give them this feedback

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It's probably fair to additionally note that a lot of other IP's and games re-use their assets anyway to whatever nth-degree. So I doubt it will ever really come up in a lot of reviews as a point of discussion or criticism. I think we care about this, sure - but overall it's probably not the biggest talking point of this specific game to outlets.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another one:

https://www.gamerbraves.com/sonic-frontiers-review-the-best-3d-sonic-game-in-years/

Sonic Frontiers is a great new step in the Sonic franchise. The semi-open world setting allows for greater movement, attacks, and customization which makes for a fun, high-octane ride through an intriguing story that shows Sonic’s friends and foes at their best. 

It does have a fair share of flaws. The mini-games are frustrating, and the pop-in can be annoying but none-of take away from the simple joy of the open-world platforming and explorations. That game would be even better without them but they’re far from a real detriment. 

I hope Sonic Team continues with this style of semi-open-world gameplay. It fits the feel of Sonic: it’s fast and free, allowing players to tackle enemies and stages at their own pace and through their own means thanks to Sonic’s larger moveset. Sonic Frontiers is a new world of possibilities for the blue blur and I forward to seeing where he goes next.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two 8.5's so far. I'll admit. Optimistic as I am, I wasn't expecting that. Here's hoping it can keep the momentum coming on that.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

Sooo, should I just do every review or only the "major" ones when I update the OP?

Only major, imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Surprised no one posted the one from the site we’re literally on lol.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2022/11/tss-review-sonic-frontiers/

Overall, Sonic Frontiers is a bit of a mess. The gameplay is half-decent, yet half-disappointing; the script is one of the best seen in a Sonic game, but the general plot one of the worst; environments are fun to play, but the art design lacks any real identity…

You know what though? It’s a fun and interesting mess, that I largely enjoyed my time with – the good elements outweighing the bad by a large margin.

It’s surely a marked improvement over Sonic Forces, and the new open zone concept is executed well, laying a solid foundation for future games to improve upon. What kind of improvements? Well, it would be great to see more varied open zone biomes, with an art direction that better connects with Sonic’s brand identity (we want to be running around interesting, colourful zones like Sky Sanctuary, Seaside Hill, Grand Metropolis and Aquarium Park please).

Perhaps smaller, more focused open zones could also allow for a greater number of activities to be included and give Sonic Team the space to build more of these zones in the next game. I would love to see this new era of Sonic games include a reworked physics engine that allows for the kind of momentum-based pinball play that the classic games were best known for.

But one thing I think Sonic Frontiers has proved beyond a doubt? That there is value in a (semi-)open world Sonic the Hedgehog game. The concept works and has potential – and there’s a real opportunity here to break away from the clunky old Sonic Forces-style physics for good.

There has been a popular community phrase associated with this game – ‘The Wait Will Be Worth It’. Now that Sonic Frontiers is here, we can now finally answer the question, “Was the wait really worth it?”

On balance, I’d say: Yes. Sort of. Let’s see what happens in the next game.

3.5 out of 5 - Good.

• Thumbs Up 2

IGN:

Sonic Frontiers is a delightfully weird and experimental evolution of the Sonic games so many of us grew up with. Its series of open-world islands are filled with so much variety and pieces of Sonic history, from classic platforming stages to silly minigames, that they’re enjoyable to explore even when awful graphical pop-in is a constant hedgehog spine in your side. Some of the new stuff Frontiers tries out, like the smart toggling between 2D and 3D perspectives out in the open world or the Cyber Space levels, are fantastic ways to pack as much Sonic goodness as possible into one package, while others – especially combat – are uninteresting experiments gone wrong. Still, I largely enjoyed my time running around in Frontiers, making it feel like a very promising first attempt at what could be a bright new era for Sonic and friends.

7/10 - Good.

Gamespot:

Running around at the speed of sound might be a mantra of the fleet-footed hedgehog, but Sonic Frontiers is at its best when you're given time to simply explore. The music is calming and also solemn at times--even if it knows when to burst into life with a punk rock energy--and there's even a fishing minigame that lets you earn rewards while slowing down the pace a step further. It's easy to fall into a zen-like flow as you traverse each island, rattling off objectives as you happen upon them. There are frustrations that arise and break the flow, whether it's a middling mini-boss or a struggle with Sonic's floaty movement, and it's a big departure from what Sonic fans are used to. I'm fully on board with this new direction, though. Sonic Adventure set the template for the last 24 years of 3D Sonic games, and I'm hopeful Frontiers will do the same for the next generation. It has its flaws, and there's definite room for improvement, but the spiky mascot is finally moving in the right direction.

7/10 - Good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

haven't finished watching yet, but so far he says it didn't start off well with him, but then it got good enough he didn't want to put it down.

• Thumbs Up 1