Awoo.

What's your favorite IDW Sonic Storyline so far?

Rabbitearsblog

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but what's your favorite storyline in IDW Sonic the Hedgehog so far?  Even though the IDW series is still relatively new, there has been a lot of stories being released from this series.  Your favorite story lines can be a major event, an annual or even a single issue.  Some examples of story arcs that happened in the series include the Metal Virus arc, Imposter Syndrome, Bad Guys, Tangle and Whisper Miniseries, the annuals and more.

• The title was changed to What's your favorite IDW Sonic Storyline so far?

I loved everything I've read so far, but, if I had to point my Top 3... 

*Spoilers Ahead*

Spoiler

1 - Imposter Syndrome: I fell in love with Surge and Kit after reading this. The trauma of being controlled by Starline and their own feelings of doubt about themselves make them a very interesting duo of antagonists. I also liked that they wrote Surge to be something more than "Girl Scourge", giving a bit more of depth to her actions and personality. 

I'm very excited to see more about their past before Starline brainwashed and transformed them into what they are now.

2 - Metal Virus Arc: Archie Sonic used to have very dramatic arcs, but I think this was the only comic-related story that really got me emotional to some degree. Seeing everyone giving their best during the Zombot attack and even sacrificing themselves for others left a very strong impression on me. 

Eggman and Starline were also really well written. One of the cool things about this arc is how some parts were basically a "character study" for Eggman, explaining what kind of man he is and why his plans against Sonic & Friends never succeed. 

Now for the criticism...

-Sometimes, I felt that Cream had almost Poochie levels of focus. I know she is a younger character and I liked what the writers did with her, but I don't need everyone reminding me how cool she is for being positive and helping others. There's better and subtle ways to do that. 

- I appreciate the massive effort behind the writing of the Deadly 6, but I think this arc proves that they aren't interesting characters. They were the most boring part of the story, with Zavok himself taking the prize.

-Shadow. The fandom already talks and fights about this a lot, so just saying his name is enough. Once again, thanks Sega.

3-Battle for Angel Island: Some parts of this arc were Shonen Sonic at this best and I love it for this. That awesome battle with Neo Metal Sonic in issue 7 is one of the reasons of why I love this comic and Adam Bryce Thomas' art.

I really love Metal Virus arc, but for me the strongest part of the IDW storyline are the smaller and indivudual parts of the arcs like Belle/Mr Tinker story or everything arround the Restoration Group.

4 hours ago, Raya said:

I really love Metal Virus arc, but for me the strongest part of the IDW storyline are an smaller and indivudual parts of the arcs like Belle/Mr Tinker story or everything arround the Restoration Group.

I also loved the smaller arcs where they focused on developing the characters for the series.  It's one of the rare times where we see Sonic and crew actually relax or just hang out with each other.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't dislike the longer arcs at all--the current story with Surge and Kit is especially interesting imo--but when it comes to comics in general I tend to prefer smaller stories, and that goes for Sonic too. Not to re-litigate the debate from the early days of the book, but I was actually really into the first year of the book even before the Metal Sonic stuff came into play. And of course the annuals and specials that feature a bunch of random little stories are always a delight.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Metal Virus. It felt like it had real stakes, and since most of the time, it seems like it's pretty easy for Sonic to solve the problem with "run really fast and hit the bad guys," it was nice to see a situation that could NOT be solved that way. I also liked that it was a situation that was a) contagious, b) affected numerous heroes, and c) was originally created by Robotnik, but got out of control. The scope of it also allowed for other characters to get a (temporary) spotlight, which was also good.

Arc by arc (most names made up by me)
1) Neo Saga 1-12
Issue #7 was great for art alone. Battle for Angel Island 9-11 started great with so many character interactions and Super Metal , but I think conclusion was kinda lacking.

2) Metal Virus 13-20
Issue 24 is my king, that thing looked great, but emotional impact was second to none.
Whole arc started a bit slow and had "shadow bump" but the more dire thing looked, the better it got. Fall of Vector, Cream, Knuckles, all fantastic moments. Loved 2020 annual too (Big, Eggman, METAL SONIC!!!), and climax "All for Nothing" was much more satisfying than last one.

3) Starline's Remaster 33-50
I feel guilty saying this, but with mostly Evan Stanley arc, all my favorites are from Flynn. Imposter Syndrome and especially #50 were both amazing.

And while not the part of the main continuity, Classic Sonic's "Seasons of Chaos" was everything I though Archie's "Mega Drive" lacked. It was similar simple pure fun, but with so many characters it had much more personality.

Everything post 50 is too fresh in my head and not even concluded, so I don't feel comfortable giving it definitive opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:29 AM, Cayenne said:

-Sometimes, I felt that Cream had almost Poochie levels of focus. I know she is a younger character and I liked what the writers did with her, but I don't need everyone reminding me how cool she is for being positive and helping others. There's better and subtle ways to do that. 

I mean, given how badly snubbed Cream was in the Archie series; being actively forced onto the sidelines for being useless "inexperienced" while everyone else actively contributed to the stories. And after being replaced by Omochao, of all characters, for Team Rose in Team Sonic Racing, with everyone acting as if she didn't exist...! Cream's focus in the Metal Virus was something she sorely needed and much desired compensation for that earlier bullshit. Though I can agree that the high praise from the other characters got a bit much. That definitely should've been subtler. Having Cream actually live up to the "being a great hero" would've helped a lot as well

Anywho, to answer the thread's question, I guess the Metal Virus is my favorite IDW story so far. Aside from giving Cream much needed spotlight after the insulting sidelining of Archie and absence from the games, it's honestly the most engaging story thus far. Sonic being the first to be infected and needing to run at extreme speeds to keep from converting is a very creative idea for a story, and it was honestly neat seeing how the characters act in a zombie apocalypse.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

I mean, given how badly snubbed Cream was in the Archie series; being actively forced onto the sidelines for being useless "inexperienced" while everyone else actively contributed to the stories. And after being replaced by Omochao, of all characters, for Team Rose in Team Sonic Racing, with everyone acting as if she didn't exist...! Cream's focus in the Metal Virus was something she sorely needed and much desired compensation for that earlier bullshit. Though I can agree that the high praise from the other characters got a bit much. That definitely should've been subtler. Having Cream actually live up to the "being a great hero" would've helped a lot as well

Don't get me wrong, I also think that Cream is a good character and deserves a time in the spotlight just like the others, but, as you said, showering her with praise wasn't the best way to do this. "Show, don't tell" is a golden rule to many comic creators for a reason.

Like, she was already cool in the story and we saw how well she handled the pressure of the Zombot invasion until *THAT* thing happened. Why point this out so many times when we can see it with our own eyes? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:06 AM, Kaotic Kanine said:

Anywho, to answer the thread's question, I guess the Metal Virus is my favorite IDW story so far. Aside from giving Cream much needed spotlight after the insulting sidelining of Archie and absence from the games, it's honestly the most engaging story thus far. Sonic being the first to be infected and needing to run at extreme speeds to keep from converting is a very creative idea for a story, and it was honestly neat seeing how the characters act in a zombie apocalypse.

I'm glad that Cream is getting more love in the comics than she has been for the past few years. I actually do like Cream and Cheese's characters and I wished that they got featured more in the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1