Awoo.

Sega is looking to hire a Sonic lore expert. Could it be YOU?

PC the Hedgehog

Yup, that's right. You could get paid by SEGA to showcase your Sonic knowledge. All you need is to know wayyyy too much about Sonic and leave near Burbank, California. The job listing is here. Here are some neat tidbits:

Currently full-time remote. Must be able to commute to Burbank, CA on a hybrid work model in January 2023 (Tues/Wed office days).

Job Summary

Reporting to the Director of Lore and Creative Strategy, the Sonic Team is seeking an Associate Manager, Lore to support the growing needs of our lore team. With both project management and creative duties, you will be immersed in the organizing and shaping of Sonic lore, canon, characters, and universes, helping to bring consistency, connectivity, and creativity to all things Sonic across various forms of media including games, animation, comics, and more. Codifying the current status while planning for the future, you will help the lore team stay organized, prioritized, and galvanized, all while facilitating transparency and communication across the organization.

This role will interface closely with teams around the world. We strive to foster a supportive, thoughtful, innovative, flexible, collaborative, and most importantly, respectful work environment, and are looking for team members that share these same values.

Duties And Responsibilities

Primary facilitator for our lore team: helps to set priorities, organizes and leads meetings, takes notes, and reports results.
Assists with the creative process, including brainstorming, script writing, and providing feedback.
Lore team administration, including navigation of legal and finance processes
Reviews story content for narrative accuracy and consistency.
Stakeholder in verifying and approving lore documentation
Supports other Sonic teams, including game development, marketing, licensing, and animation, through proactive communication, alignment, and intake of lore inquiries.
Monitors and reports on evolution of entertainment and development of IP.
Able to take on other duties as required.

Qualifications And Skills

Strong project management skills with high-level attention to detail
Experience leading a team of creatives, preferably in a similar capacity to this role
Comfortable communicating/presenting narrative information to a wide range of audiences and experience levels
Skilled collaborator and seeker of diverse opinions
Strong written communication skills
Comfortable creating visual lore references and narrative content summaries
Proficient in using Adobe Creative Cloud and Office 365 software products

Preferred Skills

Extremely well-versed in all things Sonic (lore, characters, games, animations, comics, movies, etc.)
Passion for collaboration and evolving the creative process
Passion for all types of media and entertainment
Animation production management experience

Any thoughts on the implications of this job position existing? And anyone here possibly gonna give it a shot?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll take the job. Sonic's the orange one, right? The orange one with the dreadlocks and the hammer?

I'm a lore expert.

• Chuckle 4

Get one of these in Brazil SEGA, I already do this for free for my friends.

40 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Any thoughts on the implications of this job position existing? And anyone here possibly gonna give it a shot?

Maybe they are finally trying to make what Flynn did in his Archie!Sonic run, but for the series as a whole; unifying everything into a cohesive universe.

I saw screenshots of this floating around on Twitter and I'm more surprised it isn't a joke.

2 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:
I'd love to see him try just to get a hard rejection lol

Knowing Sega, they'd probably hire him.

7 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Knowing Sega, they'd probably hire him.

Given how SEGA have apparently broken ties with him over the course of Frontiers' development (and he had a whole hissy fit about that), thankfully not likely.

• Thumbs Up 3

This could not have come at a worse time for me...

I'd take it in a heartbeat.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

Not completely sure why they wouldn't just ask Ian Flynn first, to be totally honest.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd assume it's because he has enough on his plate already between now writing for both Sonic games AND the comics.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I'd love to see him try just to get a hard rejection lol

I'm curious, but what did Arin do that was so horrible for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise?

34 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I'm curious, but what did Arin do that was so horrible for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise?

Be himself. He shits on the franchise all the time (even though most of it is either in jest or JUST to rile people up for entertainment purposes- he is actually genuinely a fan of the franchise, otherwise he wouldn't invest so much time and energy into it) and fans weren't happy about that, so enough vocal naysayers weren't happy about it to make SEGA take notice and decide it was best to not continue to use him as part of their PR.

I feel like most people forget that first and foremost, Egoraptor is a Youtube influencer personality with a focus on comedy of a certain variety. One that talks shit and has fun doing it. He also knows how to play the Youtube game quite well. Exaggerate how bad something is, play the game in a certain way to emphasize the point. It gets the job done; it gets the views, it gets the comments. People gravitate more towards more negative things than positive ones.

Edited by Shade Vortex
Elaboration.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:00 AM, Rabbitearsblog said:

It's not that he did anything really horrible to the franchise, per say. He's just a jackass who's not only has a tendency to blame games when he makes mistakes (Not just in Sonic, but in other franchises), but has just a random dislike for the franchise in general, to the degree he's tried to make the games look crappier on purpose at several points (IE - Using the DX port of Adventure and using that to pretend the game was far buggier than it was, later admitting he knew the DX port was buggier, and choosing it for 'entertainment value').

This by itself would be whatever. Just a bit of a jackass that people can ignore. Except Aaron Webber once had a tendency to try and screw around with detractors (IE - Sending James Stephanie Sterling a massive poster of Colours when they posted a negative review of it way back when), and as such, when Arin wanted to make it a point that he was the Sonic hater, Aaron Webber thought it'd be just a great idea to make a meme out of the whole thing and make Arin a brand endorser of the series.

However, the part they kind of forgot was that it just wasn't funny. Instead of the effect of "lol sonic hater has to praise sonic games", it instead meant this person that quite literally hates the franchise, and wants to see it fail and flop on it's face was now instead getting numerous brand endorsements, paid events, and to top it all off - a literal all-expenses paid trip during Team Sonic Racing's media presence, where he just looked absolutely miserable the whole way through and could not give less of a shit about the whole thing. It meant when Arin claimed he liked stuff like Mania, you could tell he was lying through his teeth.

If you're a fan of the series, it kind of blows when one of the major creators who have a endorsement deal is not only someone who could care less, but is someone who actively despises the very thing they're supposed to promote. It was utterly imbecilic on SEGA's part, and for all the good things Aaron Webber has done, it still stands as one of his biggest blunders. It meant that games weren't getting great promotion, and fans were forced to deal with someone they probably didn't want to deal with because they were the face of the content creation. 

Leading up to Frontiers' development and promotion, SEGA finally had the sense to sack the brand deal with Arin, which then lead to Arin being a pissy dick about the whole thing, stating he was bullshitting about liking Mania, and when on a whole hissy fit about SEGA cutting ties with him. He came off as pretty damn ungrateful given the amount of free shit he got out of a franchise he made a living out of shitting on. Thankfully, with the likes of SomeCallMeJohnny getting invited to SEGA's new events (IE, Sonic 2's premiere and Frontiers' playtest in Florida), it seems they grasped upon the simple idea of getting someone who actively likes and wants the best for this franchise to be a content creator endorsed by SEGA would actually be a good idea. 

• Thumbs Up 8

35 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

He humiliated it by touching it.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It's not that he did anything really horrible to the franchise, per say. He's just a jackass who's not only has a tendency to blame games when he makes mistakes (Not just in Sonic, but in other franchises), but has just a random dislike for the franchise in general, to the degree he's tried to make the games look crappier on purpose at several points (IE - Using the DX port of Adventure and using that to pretend the game was far buggier than it was, later admitting he knew the DX port was buggier, and choosing it for 'entertainment value').

This by itself would be whatever. Just a bit of a jackass that people can ignore. Except Aaron Webber once had a tendency to try and screw around with detractors (IE - Sending James Stephanie Sterling a massive poster of Colours when they posted a negative review of it way back when), and as such, when Arin wanted to make it a point that he was the Sonic hater, Aaron Webber thought it'd be just a great idea to make a meme out of the whole thing and make Arin a brand endorser of the series.

However, the part they kind of forgot was that it just wasn't funny. Instead of the effect of "lol sonic hater has to praise sonic games", it instead meant this person that quite literally hates the franchise, and wants to see it fail and flop on it's face was now instead getting numerous brand endorsements, paid events, and to top it all off - a literal all-expenses paid trip during Team Sonic Racing's media presence, where he just looked absolutely miserable the whole way through and could give less of a shit about the whole thing. It meant when Arin claimed he liked stuff like Mania, you could tell he was lying through his teeth.

If you're a fan of the series, it kind of blows when one of the major creators who have a endorsement deal is not only someone who could care less, but is someone who actively despises the very thing they're supposed to promote. It was utterly imbecilic on SEGA's part, and for all the good things Aaron Webber has done, it still stands as one of his biggest blunders. It meant that games weren't getting great promotion, and fans were forced to deal with someone they probably didn't want to deal with because they were the face of the content creation. 

Leading up to Frontiers' development and promotion, SEGA finally had the sense to sack the brand deal with Arin, which then lead to Arin being a pissy dick about the whole thing, stating he was bullshitting about liking Mania, and when on a whole hissy fit about SEGA cutting ties with him. He came off as pretty damn ungrateful given the amount of free shit he got out of a franchise he made a living out of shitting on. Thankfully, with the likes of SomeCallMeJohnny getting invited to SEGA's new events (IE, Sonic 2's premiere and Frontiers' playtest in Florida), it seems they grasped upon the simple idea of getting someone who actively likes and wants the best for this franchise to be a content creator endorsed by SEGA would actually be a good idea. 

That's awful.  SEGA should have never hired anyone who hated the franchise.  Glad that SEGA is actually choosing someone else who actually likes the franchise and can give better suggestions for the franchise.

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Sega canning Hanson and shortly after announcing Korone as a brand ambassador was one of the best pieces of news I've ever heard from this franchise in years.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

12 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

Not completely sure why they wouldn't just ask Ian Flynn first, to be totally honest.

I think it's because in the professional world sometimes they are legally obligated to put a job posting in the public, even if they already know who they're going to give the job to. Either that, or Flynn already occupies another adjacent position.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

*Sigh* Why couldn't I have been born in California? It's got all of the creative jobs and opportunities, but I couldn't get any of them because I was born on the exact opposite end of this country.

Of course, even with my extensive knowledge of Sonic lore, I'm fairly certain they'd be looking for someone with actual "merits" for this kind of job. A college degree/diploma, a good portfolio for writing and such. And how many of us actually have those things? lol

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

*Sigh* Why couldn't I have been born in California? It's got all of the creative jobs and opportunities, but I couldn't get any of them because I was born on the exact opposite end of this country.

Of course, even with my extensive knowledge of Sonic lore, I'm fairly certain they'd be looking for someone with actual "merits" for this kind of job. A college degree/diploma, a good portfolio for writing and such. And how many of us actually have those things? lol

Well, I'm 1 year from possibly graduating...

• Thumbs Up 1