Awoo.

Do you think that the internet has become more toxic?

Rabbitearsblog

So over the years, the internet has really changed in terms of the many ways you can communicate with other people, as well as having the option of becoming a content creator and expressing your own opinions about a product or a topic.  However, despite the fact that social media is growing nowadays, there's also been a lot of fighting among various users on each platform about the products and the topics and the arguments tend to get pretty nasty at times, which includes name calling each other and even threatening each other when one person doesn't agree with your opinions.  So, do you think that the internet has become even more toxic nowadays due to many people getting up in arms whenever their opinions don't match other people's opinions?

No, it's been the exact same as it always been. Which is to say that it's always been this toxic.

Ironically, I'm not seeing anything as toxic as I used to years ago. I'd say the issue with social media (barring Trump stoking a riot at the US Capitol twp years ago) is much tamer than the shit that use to occur. Years back, swatting was a problem simply because of people arguing a beat each other in an online game--I haven't been hearing much about that in the past, but you can't get any less toxic than that.

That said, as the internet becomes more an more of an essential tool, I have no doubt in my mind it could get more toxic in the future. How that shapes and when it does is something we'll likely see in the near future. But the internet has always been the first place where people can and will insult you or threaten you from the comfort of people's screens. What you're seeing now isn't much different than it was ten years ago.

4 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

No, it's been the exact same as it always been. Which is to say that it's always been this toxic.

Ironically, I'm not seeing anything as toxic as I used to years ago. I'd say the issue with social media (barring Trump stoking a riot at the US Capitol twp years ago) is much tamer than the shit that use to occur. Years back, swatting was a problem simply because of people arguing a beat each other in an online game--I haven't been hearing much about that in the past, but you can't get any less toxic than that.

That said, as the internet becomes more an more of an essential tool, I have no doubt in my mind it could get more toxic in the future. How that shapes and when it does is something we'll likely see in the near future. But the internet has always been the first place where people can and will insult you or threaten you from the comfort of people's screens. What you're seeing now isn't much different than it was ten years ago.

That is true that the internet was a bit more unrestrained back then compared to now.  Nowadays, you have to be careful of what you say in public because anyone would jump on you for saying anything overly offensive.

Remember all the death threats Jason Griffith amd Roger Craig Smith when they first signed on to voice Sonic? Or just all the vitriol for the 4Kids cast in general?

Spoiler

God damn I do not want to remember Spax3

Not sure, since I don't really have any point of reference for what the toxicity level was like. But from experience, I think it's more that the internet just magnifies and highlights the toxicity that was already existing, and then allowing those toxic elements to find each other more easily. It's more concentrated toxicity than necessarily being more toxic than before.

But what worries me is the onslaught of internet censorship bills that seem to coming out of the woodworks lately, from a combination of well-intended tech illiterate adults trying to regulate the darker and toxic aspects of the internet, and the maliciously inclined who are using this as a means to target and silence their enemies, usually minorities and LGBTQ+ people.

EARN IT Act, Kids Online Safety Act, Chat Control, Online Safety Bill...

So many poorly written and overly vague bills that ultimately cause more harm than help.

I've heard that the KOSA bill (see here for more info) is being considered to be folded into the omnibus spending bill that must pass at the end of the year, so it'll be very difficult to actually stop it if that ends up being the case. And that bill just has so damn many problems, not the least of which being how it leaves all the power to the Attorney General of each State to decide what counts as "inappropriate to children", which is so horrendously vague that it was noted by the right wing affiliated Heritage Foundation that it could be used to silence LGBT content and sex education resources online.

There's been mobilization to trying to spread the word to big organizations and senators like ACLU and such to get them to oppose the bill.

55 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Not sure, since I don't really have any point of reference for what the toxicity level was like. But from experience, I think it's more that the internet just magnifies and highlights the toxicity that was already existing, and then allowing those toxic elements to find each other more easily. It's more concentrated toxicity than necessarily being more toxic than before.

But what worries me is the onslaught of internet censorship bills that seem to coming out of the woodworks lately, from a combination of well-intended tech illiterate adults trying to regulate the darker and toxic aspects of the internet, and the maliciously inclined who are using this as a means to target and silence their enemies, usually minorities and LGBTQ+ people.

EARN IT Act, Kids Online Safety Act, Chat Control, Online Safety Bill...

So many poorly written and overly vague bills that ultimately cause more harm than help.

I've heard that the KOSA bill (see here for more info) is being considered to be folded into the omnibus spending bill that must pass at the end of the year, so it'll be very difficult to actually stop it if that ends up being the case. And that bill just has so damn many problems, not the least of which being how it leaves all the power to the Attorney General of each State to decide what counts as "inappropriate to children", which is so horrendously vague that it was noted by the right wing affiliated Heritage Foundation that it could be used to silence LGBT content and sex education resources online.

There's been mobilization to trying to spread the word to big organizations and senators like ACLU and such to get them to oppose the bill.

Man, I didn't think that things would get that bad.  Especially with the whole COPPA situation over at YouTube.

@SenEDDtor Missile

Are you sure those were “well-intentioned”?

Call me cynical, but I’m sure that whatever negative intentions you suspected were exactly what they intended, and would’ve gotten away with had people not caught the intended risk it would create.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

@SenEDDtor Missile

Are you sure those were “well-intentioned”?

Call me cynical, but I’m sure that whatever negative intentions you suspected were exactly what they intended, and would’ve gotten away with had people not caught the intended risk it would create.

I was trying to be marginally generous and not let my usual cynicism get in the way.

21 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I was trying to be marginally generous and not let my usual cynicism get in the way.

These days, I’m more of the opinion that people know better given how immature grown ass adults have shown themselves back in 2020.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

15 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

These days, I’m more of the opinion that people know better given how immature grown ass adults have shown themselves back in 2020.

And yet, adults are still acting childish nowadays.