Awoo.

Yuji Naka is arrested!!

antyep

2 hours ago, Starnik said:

But it doesn’t really stop a game from being successful.

For the record, never said it did. The point is that it can still negatively affect the profitability. 

On 11/19/2022 at 2:45 PM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

It probably doesn't help that literally no one saw this coming, so this does shock a lot of people to think of extremes.

The real off thing is the transition. Sure, we did have some build up to it. But the sudden kesp to criminal status, was well....sudden.

For all his faults, and there were many, didn't think the guy could go this low.

25 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

For the record, never said it did. The point is that it can still negatively affect the profitability. 

The real off thing is the transition. Sure, we did have some build up to it. But the sudden kesp to criminal status, was well....sudden.

For all his faults, and there were many, didn't think the guy could go this low.

This low? Overdramatic much?

2 hours ago, Starnik said:

This low? Overdramatic much?

Considering Naka's attitude that I just came to discovering over Balan Wonderworld and a bunch of other details of how he treated other staff on his projects, no. He could've said a whole lot worse.

Mind you, I don't know how big a deal this is in Japan, but the news is still shocking regardless of how you want to put it. You couldn't imagine a decade ago or so that this man would even get into this kind of trouble.

• Thumbs Up 4

19 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Actually,  it still can. Don't forget, the matter of the stock market in the long run.

DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE STOCK MARKET!

spacer.png

19 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Not to mention, in the more direct sense. Insider trading can give competitors an unfair advantage of knowledge,  to know on releasing their own products or throwing a wrench into the other company's plans, this affecting how much the product makes.

Yes, that is a completely different potentially harmed party. You eventually stumbled across an argument that actually applies to this thread. You kind of fumbled it away with the last sentence, but most of that post is actually relevant to what Naka did!

20 hours ago, Starnik said:

How does insider trading affect the money a game makes?

17 hours ago, Zoomzeta said:

I don't think you understand how this cuts on a game's success and profitability. 

It doesn't. Insider trading laws are put in place to protect outside investors from potentially being screwed by people who have actionable knowledge before it's available publicly. Everyone is supposed to get a fair chance at making money; and that is overwhelmingly why said laws are in place and why it took so long for them to be as strong as they are today (it was long considered a victimless crime, and that argument still pops up during government crackdowns).

Any affect it can have on any specific company would be an extremely indirect one tied to nebulous, fleeting and wishy-washy macroeconomic concepts like "investor confidence." Concepts which would frankly be impossible to definitively correlate as is; nevermind in the past decade plus where the defining idea of stock markets around the world (especially any stock even adjacent to technology stocks) has been "if something is losing money then just dump more money into it until it is eventually profitable and then it will be super profitable and you'll be fucking set." It's why "Stonks" became a meme in the first place and why Tesla yearly results of losing shitloads of money resulted in Tesla stock going higher; and why tech stocks have been being decimated in the past 6 months even though most of the companies are remaining profitable and frequently even meeting their targets.

Even if Naka was dumping hundreds of thousands of dollars of stock that he owned because he got advance notice bad news was coming for the company (something that would actually materially affect a companies' stock price' and is more or less what Martha Stewart was prosecuted for) the causal relationship between stock price dropping and the company in question changing their course of action would be extremely questionable (not the least of which being because the stock would presumably have gone down anyway); and what Naka did is several degrees of separation removed from that.

What this thread has actually largely been about, though, is relitigating things Naka did 15 years ago (presumably because the more famous things he was claimed to have done 25 years ago that people harangued him for turned out to be a lie all along) and then implying being accused of performing a white-collar crime by a legal system famous for its overzealousness in pursuing them can be derived from that and is more serious than it actually is.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Considering Naka's attitude that I just came to discovering over Balan Wonderworld and a bunch of other details of how he treated other staff on his projects, no. He could've said a whole lot worse.

Mind you, I don't know how big a deal this is in Japan, but the news is still shocking regardless of how you want to put it. You couldn't imagine a decade ago or so that this man would even get into this kind of trouble.

Pretty much. That's essentially the reason this is big enough to get its own topic on top of all that.

3 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Frankly wonder if he's gonna get blacklisted from the industry for this.

I can say for certain we might not hear from him for a while. 

On 11/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, Tornado said:

DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE STOCK MARKET!

spacer.png

Yes, that is a completely different potentially harmed party. You eventually stumbled across an argument that actually applies to this thread. You kind of fumbled it away with the last sentence, but most of that post is actually relevant to what Naka did!

It doesn't. Insider trading laws are put in place to protect outside investors from potentially being screwed by people who have actionable knowledge before it's available publicly. Everyone is supposed to get a fair chance at making money; and that is overwhelmingly why said laws are in place and why it took so long for them to be as strong as they are today (it was long considered a victimless crime, and that argument still pops up during government crackdowns).

Any affect it can have on any specific company would be an extremely indirect one tied to nebulous, fleeting and wishy-washy macroeconomic concepts like "investor confidence." Concepts which would frankly be impossible to definitively correlate as is; nevermind in the past decade plus where the defining idea of stock markets around the world (especially any stock even adjacent to technology stocks) has been "if something is losing money then just dump more money into it until it is eventually profitable and then it will be super profitable and you'll be fucking set." It's why "Stonks" became a meme in the first place and why Tesla yearly results of losing shitloads of money resulted in Tesla stock going higher; and why tech stocks have been being decimated in the past 6 months even though most of the companies are remaining profitable and frequently even meeting their targets.

Even if Naka was dumping hundreds of thousands of dollars of stock that he owned because he got advance notice bad news was coming for the company (something that would actually materially affect a companies' stock price' and is more or less what Martha Stewart was prosecuted for) the causal relationship between stock price dropping and the company in question changing their course of action would be extremely questionable (not the least of which being because the stock would presumably have gone down anyway); and what Naka did is several degrees of separation removed from that.

What this thread has actually largely been about, though, is relitigating things Naka did 15 years ago (presumably because the more famous things he was claimed to have done 25 years ago that people harangued him for turned out to be a lie all along) and then implying being accused of performing a white-collar crime by a legal system famous for its overzealousness in pursuing them can be derived from that and is more serious than it actually is.

Thanks for explaining. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

...HOW ARE YOU SO DUMB THAT YOU GET ARRESTED TWICE FOR THE SAME THING IN THE SPAN OF A MONTH!?

Its not that he was arrested then did it again right after. Both (or more) will have happened a while ago with this arrest coming from the inverstigation sparked by the first.

• Thumbs Up 2

At this rate, I won't be surprised if he did it multiple times beyond these first two.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

I don’t know if it is fine to bring this back up, or if it deserves its own thread, but Yuji Naka is back on Twitter and he claims to have been framed for the Dragon Quest thing.

I think he is lying, personally.

True or not, it's an absolutely insane thing to post immediately upon your return to public life.

• Thumbs Up 2

He probably isn't an innocent flower in all this, but "famously incompetent company SquareEnix had executives collude with the Japanese police to quickly find a fall guy regarding what could have been a major financial scandal" isn't the most farfetched thing I've ever heard.

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard of a similar story occurring with a Japanese car company. I don recall which one, but as outlandish as it sounds, we’ve seen weirder shit before.

On 4/7/2024 at 3:16 PM, Shiny Gems said:

I don’t know if it is fine to bring this back up, or if it deserves its own thread, but Yuji Naka is back on Twitter and he claims to have been framed for the Dragon Quest thing.

I think he is lying, personally.

Lying or not, he needs to be careful. They've got some pretty strict defamation laws over there.

Yes, the kind that can come swinging down heavily even if this somehow turns out to be true. Man's either got some amazing aces up his sleeves, or he intends to take someone down with him one way or another.

Edited by Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Damn, this guy is really falling from grace here...

Shit would've been unimaginable years ago. Then again, I don't know that much behind the scenes.