Awoo.

Which of Sonic's abilities in Frontiers (and boost games in general) should be gameplay standard?

Slashy

I hope we can finally get at least the core four playable in the open zone format, the question I wonder is how do we make them playable.

Which abilities established in the boost formula and open zone should be standard across everyone and which should be for Sonic (or Sonic like characters)?

I feel like at this point the homing attack may need to be a universal ability due to the reliance on it for so many gameplay sequences.

The super charged boost at max rings, the drop dash,  and the bounce should be Sonic specific.

The Homing Shot, Basic punches and kicks, and the Sonic Boom or Cross Slash should definitely be staples as well.

Everything else would be better off with a rework. You could squeak by with the quick Cyloop and turn in into the Sonic Wind from SA2 or the Blue Tornado from Heroes. But everything else I can’t see much better use for besides looking flashy.

1 minute ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

The Homing Shot, Basic punches and kicks, and the Sonic Boom or Cross Slash should definitely be staples as well.

Everything else would be better off with a rework. You could squeak by with the quick Cyloop and turn in into the Sonic Wind from SA2 or the Blue Tornado from Heroes. But everything else I can’t see much better use for besides looking flashy.

I imagine combat would have a number of differences for everyone, I was thinking more movement.

I'm not going to speak to the open zone stuff, but as far as the more traditional boost/cyberspace gameplay is concerned, one thing I like about it this go round is there's no confusion with the aerial mechanics, there's no overlap between the homing attack, air dash/boost, stomp, bounce or double jump. That's a lot of options to work with and I think future boost games should strive for that level of maneuverability.

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

I imagine combat would have a number of differences for everyone, I was thinking more movement.

Honestly, given the maps of Frontiers, I don’t see why anyone who was present in Heroes and even 06 can’t be brought back.

We already have a baseline for speed characters. The game looks great for characters that can fly or climb (especially in parts where Sonic can’t walk up or reach easily), there are tons of enemies to mess with for power types, and characters like Silver would no doubt reign supreme in this type of setting with his telekinesis. And you could really do wonders with Blaze’s pyrokinesis.

Everything that was done in previous Sonic games can be brought back—vehicles and Extreme Gear, digging for treasure, even the wisps and Wisp-ons.

Frontiers is in essence what Sonic 06 should’ve been without the bugginess and lesser polish.

Edit—Not just that, but Frontiers looks perfect for online multiplayer too with the Sonic cast. Imagine the Starfall Islands as a battle royale—I know I can’t be the only one who thought of that.

It would basically be an open world version of League of Legends with its cast—just pick the character you wanna play and go nuts!

For all its problems, Frontiers is on the edge of realizing something even greater. This is almost the Sonic Sandbox game a lot people wishing for have gotten, and if they’re really taking feedback of what people are saying online, this is the perfect game to ignore the stigma of Sonic’s friends and let people have them back and have fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

The “linear” gameplay stuff has got to change. Find a way to bring back back the drift from Generations- in fact, free up the L2 button and just get rid of the wave kick entirely. Shit’s broken. 
On controllers that support it, the degree to which the R2 button is pressed should dictate the strength of the boost. Make Sonic less stiff to control, significantly reduce the cooldown from the homing attack, and find a way to synergize the linear gameplay with the open world so that they don’t feel so radically different. 

4 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

The “linear” gameplay stuff has got to change. Find a way to bring back back the drift from Generations- in fact, free up the L2 button and just get rid of the wave kick entirely. Shit’s broken. 
On controllers that support it, the degree to which the R2 button is pressed should dictate the strength of the boost. Make Sonic less stiff to control, significantly reduce the cooldown from the homing attack, and find a way to synergize the linear gameplay with the open world so that they don’t feel so radically different. 

That is not what I am asking about in this thread.

• Unamused 1

• 3 months later...

I haven't actually played Frontiers, but the boost on a trigger sounds like a great idea, allowing you to work camera and/or the action buttons while boosting in a way that feels kind of unnatural outside of it.