Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Content Roadmap, new playable characters and new story content confirmed!

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New Characters, Story and DLC Revealed for Sonic Frontiers in 2023 Content Roadmap at some point.

12 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Bracing myself for the possibility that they're playable exclusively in Cyberspace 

The most disappointing case of Sonic's Crappy Friends I'd ever see...

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The most disappointing case of Sonic's Crappy Friends I'd ever see...

What cyberspace levels exactly though? 

To be honest, with the game as it is, unless they're going to be LITERAL reskins of Sonic with no abilities, I feel like it's more likely that they'll only be playable OUT of cyberspace.  Like, flight and climbing will break the open zones, sure, but no more so than grind rail leaps already do.  Most terrain is programmed to react to this circumstance already, they'll just need to polish up a few areas that are usually "considered" not reachable by Sonic.

The Cyber Space stages though are surrounded by tons of invisible walls that Tails and Knuckles will be finding very quickly as soon as the player tries to do anything other than just play the stage as if they're Sonic.

So unless it's specifically the situation that they're making custom cyber space stages for the new characters, and that's the only place they'll be playable, I don't see it.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

6 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Gonna make the cynical prediction that the other characters will only be playable in cyberspace. Unless the new content is set postgame or they rework the story around the end of Rhea (not likely), that's where they're stuck, and they can't really interact with the real world. They could make open areas set in cyberspace, but by limiting them to levels they wouldn't have to worry about combat or how their abilities could break open-world challenges; they could get away with just reskinning Sonic and maybe giving them a different move or two. And filling in the details of what they went through while they were trapped would be a sensible way of expanding the story, though what little we heard about it doesn't sound much like what Sonic's experiences.

There's enough meat and potatoes for say Knuckles for it to be on the island, story wise. What with similarities in the ruins and Angel Island. 

Other characters I dunno.

When some of us suggested playable characters, I'm pretty sure none of us expected it this damn soon!

Holy shit, Frontiers is really taking off, huh? At least validates what some of us have been saying about Frontiers being a testbed for future ideas!

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

When some of us suggested playable characters, I'm pretty sure none of us expected it this damn soon!

Holy shit, Frontiers is really taking off, huh? At least validates what some of us have been saying about Frontiers being a testbed for future ideas!

Given that playable characters are so later down the line, I wonder if it's a response to the overall positive reception that Frontiers got, and they're coupling them with a new campaign to give their playability that extra umph.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Given that playable characters are so later down the line, I wonder if it's a response to the overall positive reception that Frontiers got, and they're coupling them with a new campaign to give their playability that extra umph.

Either way, I just hope they're not playable strictly in Cyberspace, because I sure as shit won't be bothering with them if that's the case. In other words, if you're listening Kishimoto, don't restrict the playable characters to cyberspace!!!!!

Frontiers' open zone looks way too good for them to not implement the other characters in it. It's basically going the League of Legends path as I've always wanted...or put another way, it's going the path of Sonic Advance but in 3D!

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, azoo said:

Oh I expect the "open zone" to stay. I just have the feeling it won't come back the same way Frontiers did it, nor with the same tone, ideas, etc.

Or maybe I'm just trying to be hopeful. Idk.

Not sure what you mean by Tone, I thought that was mostly okay. Bit too sombre at times, but it had heart. Character writing was the best we've had in a long time, even if some of the actual story was a bit dumb.

Generally, the end of this game and the story in general feels like a send-off of sorts to the last "Era" of Sonic. Especially as far as characters are concerned. Say goodbye to cheerleader crybaby Tails, say goodbye to 1-note love interest Amy, say goodbye to total blockhead Knuckles. 

Certainly hope they carry that energy into the next game, even if it isn't a direct sequel to this game. I don't think there is anything more they can extract from Frontiers' premise at this point, so they'll have to move beyond it.

But then maybe like you, I'm just huffing hopium.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I saw this posted on Reddit I didn't bat an eye because I was certain it was fake. But no one in the replies were acting like it was, which I thought was strange.

Then I went on Twitter to try and confirm and it's real and I'm... shocked.

I guess that's that then huh. Everything I said I've wanted after a decade plus of waiting is just happening now and it... made me almost fall off my bed in excitement to rush to my computer to turn it on and make a normal post on this place again because I just can not believe it.

I... am very happy. But also I feel like we're still very much in a transitional phase still. But despite certain issues here and there, it feels like a positive one to me.

My brain kind of keeps stopping and searching for the right words to use here because... I think... to be honest I'm not sure how to express what I'm feeling right now.

I'm not used to this. I'm not used to ...getting what I want. There might still be a part of me that's reacting as though it's not even really happening probably. All these ellipses are here on purpose. They're my mind stopping in real time as I search for the next thing to say. Genuinely. It's just... 

Please keep improving. Keep going. We're on the right track as far as I'm concerned. Do not fall off it. 

I'll try to be more coherent next time I guess. I didn't expect to nor was I ready to come across this news today. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 3

Not sure how switching between characters will be implemented. Whether it be like the outfits/shoes from the main menu, or...hear me out, an insta-character swap from Sonic Boom, for different obstacles/scenarios by use of the D-pad.

image.thumb.jpeg.9ea3e2c99e1c6e8d954c18b8d1bdfb0c.jpeg

Sure, the closest Sonic Team themselves have ever gotten to that is Eggmanland from Unleashed. Despite it being certain portions of the stages, rather than any time like the Tag-Team sections in Forces, or Sonic Heroes. But if they can do it like Boom did, that'd be cool!

They might take a page out of Shantae Half Genie Hero and have you play as Tails, Knuckles and Amy in a handful of levels to 

Spoiler

Uncorrupt Sonic.

Which is fairly amusing since Shantae has a similar plot point...and resolved just as anticlimactically.

• Thumbs Up 4

For Amy, I'd love they gave her the hammer jump from Adventure 1. Probably not gonna be a post-game story, but I'd so love the see the solo adventures the characters described in the ending. Like give me the Amy, Sticks, Cream roadtrip damn it!

• Thumbs Up 4

59 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

They might take a page out of Shantae Half Genie Hero and have you play as Tails, Knuckles and Amy in a handful of levels to 

Spoiler

That's actually what I instantly thought of as well. I could see the dlc taking place after them holding hands around corrupted Sonic and performing MaGiC oF fRiEnDsHiP and before Sonic has beaten The End. We could play as Tails, Knuckles, and Amy in some sort of Cyberspace/semi-open zone kind of area, and who knows, perhaps they could even fight against Corrupted/Evil Sonic in it.

Does anyone feel that the "Sonic's Birthday" update will be used to include some nostalgic things? New Cyberspace stages, maybe a few skins? I'm not expecting, like, "oh mah gawd DREAMCEST SAWNK" or anything, but maybe some small nods or a Classic Sonic reference? 

1 hour ago, DaBigJ said:

New Cyberspace stages, maybe a few skins?

That's about what I'd expect. Hopefully including some new Cyberspace level themes from other games. As for skins I could see Boom & Riders Sonic fitting in well.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Does anyone feel that the "Sonic's Birthday" update will be used to include some nostalgic things? New Cyberspace stages, maybe a few skins? I'm not expecting, like, "oh mah gawd DREAMCEST SAWNK" or anything, but maybe some small nods or a Classic Sonic reference? 

I'm expecting something like the holiday content seen in Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast for that. Nothing major.

• Thumbs Up 3

So so happy, I really thought I was seeing things when the tweet notification popped up on my phone yesterday. Had to double take that it was the real, ‘REAL’ Sonic account tweeting it and not some fake paid-for blue tick account. But lo and behold it’s here and it’s real! Woop!

Obviously the most exciting thing for me is the extra playable characters and exactly HOW and WHERE they will play. Out in the open zone is the dream here, even if that feature is locked behind some achievement like completing the extra story, but then if they’re out in the open zone they’re gonna need some decent combat skills of their own to fare against the various island enemies and mini bosses. I’m keeping my expectations cautiously in check but overall seeing more of these characters is great. 

I’m sure they can’t give us more story without more voice recordings for the characters too so there’s that cherry on top as well. And all for free. What a good time to be a Sonic fan.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Multiple playable characters, finally! Yess!

Besides, I'm happy about everything else too, especially the new story.

Sonic Star Allies is real.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember Takashi Iizuka said he would like Shadow to appear in DLCs... let's hope he'll be back one day, with another new part of the game's story!!...

12 hours ago, JezMM said:

The Cyber Space stages though are surrounded by tons of invisible walls that Tails and Knuckles will be finding very quickly as soon as the player tries to do anything other than just play the stage as if they're Sonic.

I'm...pretty sure invisible walls in cyberspace stages are pretty rare if outright non-existent. That's why you can see people doing 1-7 in 20 seconds, among some other crazy skips.

I'd argue the bigger problem would be the fixed camera that decides to act on its own, making some of those skips unintuitive to do.

12 hours ago, JezMM said:

To be honest, with the game as it is, unless they're going to be LITERAL reskins of Sonic with no abilities, I feel like it's more likely that they'll only be playable OUT of cyberspace.  Like, flight and climbing will break the open zones, sure, but no more so than grind rail leaps already do.  Most terrain is programmed to react to this circumstance already, they'll just need to polish up a few areas that are usually "considered" not reachable by Sonic.

So unless it's specifically the situation that they're making custom cyber space stages for the new characters, and that's the only place they'll be playable, I don't see it.

Yeah, that was exactly my thoughts after seeing new info. Tails as a flying character is just too problematic in cyberspace compared to his movement in open zones. 

"The wisps are testing out how Tails, Knuckles, and Amy could work in a boost game!"

I feel almost validated 12 years later. I wonder how this is going to work, I'm surprised the game is getting post content like this. Haven't seen that since Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bobnik said:

I'm...pretty sure invisible walls in cyberspace stages are pretty rare if outright non-existent. That's why you can see people doing 1-7 in 20 seconds, among some other crazy skips.

I'd argue the bigger problem would be the fixed camera that decides to act on its own, making some of those skips unintuitive to do.

That's interesting to know and makes sense actually, now that I think about it, a few times I tried leaping to scenery outside of the main path that looked JUST in reach - and confirmed that to be the case as Sonic plummeted through them to his death!  Which is just as big an issue for characters with flight abilities, lol.