Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #55: Reader Reaction & Review

Sonictrainer

Managed to read the issue:

Here's something I found:

Spoiler

The concept designs of Surge and Kit are literally canon.

• Thumbs Up 1

This issue is incredible.

Spoiler

cb6ca5c700d01c0428be993e061a828cff261609 b334e71f9c4b8e8467260f7bd776d0870f7ac6f2 

Eggman using his ridiculous strength is always a good time. The Doc just kicks all manner of ass in this issue, and I love it.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 2
  • Chuckle 1

I am almost angry how good this issue looks. Because the conclusion will be drawn by Even Stanley and she'll do a very good job and put her heart into it, sweat and tears and I still will see a downgrade between her and ABT.

I don't think there is any contest. Stanley, Yardley, Butler, Peppers, NO ONE comes close to Adam at his best. Maaaybe Skelly because her artsyle goes for stretchy cartoon comedy rather than detailed anime energy.

With that said one thing confuses me art-wise. Not annoys, confuses. Pink smoke coming from Metal Sonic. Is... that a... thing? I genuinely don't remember him ever producing effect like that, definitely not in that amount. It feels a bit weird.

Right, story itself.

- Sonic checks on Metal's morality compass... Whatever, I'm 100% done talking about Sonic being forgiving and reforming toward his villains. It's a trait he has now whatever. Kinda curious if this will go anywhere for Metal Sonic. He obviously won't reform, but will he get any interactions with Belle I wonder?
- With that said, why Sonic prioritizes taking down Surge over Eggman? Tactical advantage aside, they seem to be equal treats. I guess it's because Surge has wisps as hostages to rescue, but the story could remind us about it.
-  Evan officially proves she can write Eggman. He gets some really great funny, cool and spooky moments, the best one being his commentary on Starline. That monster. Surge is fun too, I like the subtle implication she starts caring about Kit. Like I said before, this is the direction she needs. I just hope she has some kind of plan for the final fight beyond "punch harder".
- Heroes leave the least impression. I'm fine if Tails doesn't do much, he was MVP for the last several issues. Kinda hope Sonic pulls something impressive for the finale.

In conclusion, great issue. We're not getting the climax till 2023 and that's a crime.

Surge's entire MO has just been "hit harder", no reason to assume its any different here.

This issue was pretty good; always liked ABT's art but I wish they were doing next one as opposed to the this one.

Always fun to see banter with Sonic and Eggman teaming up. Although I don't feel like Surge is enough of a threat to force them to do that, but I'm not gonna complain. Their dynamic is too good to pass up.

I don't mind Sonic wanting to see good in his foes, but they're really starting to overplay it, to the point where they're actually joking about it now in Scrapnik Island. By itself its not too bad, but...is this not going to go anywhere? Because it makes Sonic look really naive to keep trying and failing like this; at least be rightfully upset when he's refused.

I've kind of cooled down on Surge and Kit a bit. I still like them mind you, but without someone like Starline's greater ambitions leading them, their motivations are pretty simplistic. Which I have no problem with mind you and I understand it's definitely intentional.

That said, there's not many ways I can see this ending besides the pair losing and Sonic just letting them go in peace. Its literally 4 on 2, and they don't have any other plans to fall on now that they've lost the element of surprise.

I went ahead and got this one digitally and was not disappointed with what I read; always love seeing Eggman clean house and I love how Starline is inadvertently haunting him beyond the grave with the passcode bit. 

• Thumbs Up 4

30 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Surge's entire MO has just been "hit harder", no reason to assume its any different here.

This issue was pretty good; always liked ABT's art but I wish they were doing next one as opposed to the this one.

Always fun to see banter with Sonic and Eggman teaming up. Although I don't feel like Surge is enough of a threat to force them to do that, but I'm not gonna complain. Their dynamic is too good to pass up.

I don't mind Sonic wanting to see good in his foes, but they're really starting to overplay it, to the point where they're actually joking about it now in Scrapnik Island. By itself its not too bad, but...is this not going to go anywhere? Because it makes Sonic look really naive to keep trying and failing like this; at least be rightfully upset when he's refused.

I've kind of cooled down on Surge and Kit a bit. I still like them mind you, but without someone like Starline's greater ambitions leading them, their motivations are pretty simplistic. Which I have no problem with mind you and I understand it's definitely intentional.

That said, there's not many ways I can see this ending besides the pair losing and Sonic just letting them go in peace. Its literally 4 on 2, and they don't have any other plans to fall on now that they've lost the element of surprise.

Kinda makes me wonder what the endgame is in mind for Surge and Kit. If not reformed, I wonder if they'll find themselves in the niche of recurring bad guys.

As for the climax, I'm guessing some new super forms might be on the menu to make them more of a threat?

• Thumbs Up 1

A super form with no Chaos Emeralds? 

And I'm pretty sure we're going to have a long break from them after this arc

5 hours ago, Kuzu said:

A super form with no Chaos Emeralds? 

Super form of some sort. Possibly not the traditional one you're thinking of.

Or who knows? Maybe the duo make a ploy for the chaos emeralds or some power as a last ditch effort.

On 12/8/2022 at 2:28 PM, Kuzu said:

We need to remember the whole "if I can't have a past, no one gets a future" I always liked when she said that, she is just mad and psycho about her abuse from Starline, and Kit follows her all the time, which is equally sad and messed up.

A new form for Surge is highly likely, not a super form of course but something else, I also like her addiction to power so this will lead to some kind of short circuit or something like that.

And I'm kind of bored of Sonic and Eggman teaming up, I was hoping for a race/battle, Sonic vs Metal vs Surge, rather than another alliance to beat her. But this is game canon stories we are talking about, and Sonic and Eggman often team up, so whatever.

Bonus points: Starline is still present in the arc after his demise, I want a final hallucination in Surge's mind in the final issue of the arc, plus Eggman is the glorious ass he is by saying Starline accomplished a lot and so that was his own accomplishment, also not telling him that while he was alive just not caring about the drama, classic.

• 2 weeks later...

Another fantastic Issue I really enjoyed reading this one and looking forward to Issue 56 were they going to battle It out against each other. Just received my Issue 55 covers this week a bit late due to Royal Mail striking.

5EA3EB9A-88B6-4B66-9CA0-95EC20BCE880.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1