Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #1: 5th Anniversary Edition - Cover & Info Reveal

Sonictrainer

FjZNOH0XwAgXnvp?format=jpg&name=largeFjZNiL4XwAc2I_n?format=jpg&name=largeFjZSYaIagAEhZeT?format=jpg&name=4096x409FjZS-86WQAIMJXH?format=jpg&name=medium

Sonic the Hedgehog #1 Fifth Anniversary Edition will feature a new bonus short story entitled "Familiar Territory", by the original creative team writer Ian Flynn and artist Tracy Yardley.

The new edition will also include a look at how Sonic comic books get made, a cover gallery, and more.

• Expected Release Date: April 2023

• Thumbs Up 1

So it's mostly a reprints with one bonus story? Kinda an odd choice (not that Archie never did that).

I guess I wasn't the only one who very recently noticed that IDW Sonic is going to have it's 5th Anniversary next year. 😅

I actually forgot that the comic has been running for over 5 years now.  That's so crazy!

• Thumbs Up 1

So is this a reprint of the first graphic novel, or is it just issue 1 with a bonus story?

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

So is this a reprint of the first graphic novel, or is it just issue 1 with a bonus story?

I was confused about this too so I had to go look up the solicitation. It sounds like it's a reissue of the first issue with a bonus story. It's a little weird when the covers on this depict different events from each of the first four issues.

https://www.gamesradar.com/idw-celebrates-5-years-of-sonic-the-hedgehog-comics-with-an-expanded-anniversary-reissue/

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Zaysho said:

I was confused about this too so I had to go look up the solicitation. It sounds like it's a reissue of the first issue with a bonus story. It's a little weird when the covers on this depict different events from each of the first four issues.

https://www.gamesradar.com/idw-celebrates-5-years-of-sonic-the-hedgehog-comics-with-an-expanded-anniversary-reissue/

That's such a eh decision. Feels kind of crappy that a bonus story is gonna be stuck in a release of a issue that already has had numerous reprints. If they were gonna do a 5th anniversary issue, feels like they should've either went bigger with it, or just did a unique one shot with unique stories in it, with Issue 1's reprint being the bonus (IE - how Archie's landmark issues used to handle it).

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I agree. I think this should have just been their free comic book day offer for next year if anything. First issue + new story is a great way to hook new people I think, but this comes off as milking people already invested in the comic.

Which I suppose isn't surprising with comics in general at this point.

• 1 month later...