Awoo.

Big the Cat deserves his own freaking game

Indigo Rush

Big the Cat: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Cat!

This is big.

transformer.jpg

No... I mean this Big.

chara_big.gif

Big is a Cat.

This is a cat.

cat-facts.jpg

And that is why he is called Big the cat.

Ever since SA1, poor big has been the brunt of jokes and the ridicule of many since his first outing way back in the day when Sonic was greeted with hope and positive anticipation.

Ah how times change.

Anyway, Sonic fans have their classic putdowns.

"Fat, stupid, useless, dumb cat"

"Waste of space"

"Crap"

"Dull"

"Slow!"

"I hate fishing minigames!"

"Shit!"

"DIE CAT DIE!" (In German that would be "the cat the!")

Well... I shall tell you why those people are wrong! And why I think Big the cat is the greatest character in the history of Sonic... if not the world!

What! Sonic is the best I hear you cry! (Replace sonic with Shadow for some people). Well no.. Sonic is not the best character. He's not your flawless hero... Sonic is someone who fights to maintain his way of life, he doesn't abide by the governments rule, nor that of the police. Otherwise he would surrender to Gun and he would never have been arrested, nor would he have escaped.

Shadow... Shadow only fights when something comes into conflict with his own goals, he has no interest in a right or wrong. He behaves in a manner fitting a soldier, must complete the mission, remove or halt anything which compromises the mission.

Now let’s look at Big.

Big the cat lives life care free in a tropical paradise.

He spends his days fishing.

He spends his days sleeping.

He spends his days relaxing.

He is clearly unfit.

He is clearly in no position to do much physical activity.

Yet... he gives up his paradise in the tropics, his carefree lifestyle, his favourite hobby, to go on a dangerous, exhausting, mission, fighting killer robots and an ancient God of destruction...

All to save his best friend.

At no point in SA1 does Big bring his own desires or anything which can be described as selfish behaviour into his actions. It is purely to find and rescue his missing friend who he loves.

Upon completion what benefits does he have? Nothing. Big personally has no benefits made to him other than his friend is safe. Even the E-Series Robot has a better outcome, he has been made free of Robotniks control and has been reunited with his family and as a robot learned to love and feel for lesser creatures (thanks to Amy).

Big however has nothing other than his friend back by his side. He suffers no major benefit nor does he manage to impose any rule or impose any new system of belief/thought over the society or any other character in the game.

He's the ultimate hero in that he faces truly impossible odds to save an innocent lesser life and succeeds!

Then in Sonic Heroes. Again he acts for the benefit of others.

Unlike Amy who is only interested in getting Sonic to marry her. Cream is the only one just as innocent as big is.

Bigs goal in that game is to save/reunite himself with Froggy.

Again he is not in any condition to fight.

Again he has barely improved his skills or health.

Again he is living in a tropical paradise.

And again he gives it all up and risks his life to find his friend.

At no point does big go out on a mission for selfish reasons, nor does the outcome involve him imposing a view/belief/rule over people. He gets nothing other than his friend back upon the moment of resolution.

And unlike all the other characters who use weapons/machines/or unmatched skill/abilities to fight hunter killer machines designed by a man with an IQ of over 300... All what stands between big and death... is a fishing rod.... A FISHING ROD!

Yet he has the ability to use this rod to defeat an ancient God of War and killer robots!

But not only does he take on the role of being a good friend, he’s also a protector, bodyguard of sorts, what happens when Vector insults Amy? Big steps forward and says with a very deep tone “It’s not nice to tease MY friends...” In other words, back the fuck off, or else. And sure enough, in the next scene, he’s kicking the Chaotix’s arse!

This public state school boy shall not be lectured by you private school boys in believing that big is fat and useless when he takes on a rock mad crocodile, a hyper active bumble bee and a stealth ninja assassin chameleon with nothing but his bare hands and fishing rod!

Even after his initial appearance, he continues to prove that he is so much more than a random character to fill out the numbers on the other team. We’ve seen him return in Chronicles, again he acts for the benefit of his friends.

Consider his first appearance in that game; he’s fishing in a swamp, when his friends need help to get through it, who decides to help? Big! Nobody else is strong enough to get through the poison gas but Big! He’s got no reason to join, he doesn’t have a reason to join. The only reason he has is because he needs to help his friends, just about every other character in the game acts for their own means or goal, not Big, he acts for the benefit and safety of his friends.

Furthermore, we’ve seen Big’s character improve further, he’s gone from the true friend from ‘Adventure’ to bodyguard and protector in Heroes (“It’s not nice to tease my friends.” Now he’s attempting to act as a moral booster. Consider that even if you do not have him in your party (a pox on you for doing so!), he always enters the dialogue when things seem bad, and how does he try to help everyone out... with a hug!

To those who say he is thick, he’s smart enough to recognise that his friends are feeling down, and he’s trying to help them feel better, the only way he knows how, a great big hug. And if you hug a cat, it’ll love you forever!

Those who barbarically say that Big is crap and rubbish in my mind have failed to even attempt to grasp what is going on behind those big eyes of his, whilst he speeds deeply, and is overweight and isn’t doing to rival tails in terms of an IQ test, my my, he is far from stupid, and far from useless.

You’re probably wondering...

Teese01_450x544.jpg

Why your mother...

...advises you to stop worrying and LOVE the cat! Like a good bra it’s the way it makes you feel...

Big the cat: Slow and useless? Big the Cat: Valliant hero for our time more like!

And one more final thing! If you still don’t think that a Big the Cat game would be good, or you are still worried. You need to watch the official trailer for Bigs new game “Big the Cat: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Cat!

The plot is obvious, Russian Terrorists have stormed the space colony, Shadow has been disposed of, their demands, under instructions from Doctor Robotnik, they will lauched an orbital nuclear strike against the United States unless Station Square surrenders, with James Bond off with a love problem... theres only one man who can save us, his name is Big, and he is a Cat, time to stop worrying, for he has a fishing rod, time to stop worrying and love the cat!

(every year we get a Big topic, and every year someone comes out with the same put downs, and every year I find a new use for this post I made woo!)

Edited by Casanova
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That's it. I'm sorry, Gumball Brigade, but Casanova's quote there deserves my sig spot.

You analyzed Big the Cat in a way I never could have. You win a freaking medal, Hogfather.

Aww, no one likes my Super Froggy idea? Big needs more than always chasing the same frog.

Well, a flying, glowing frog would be pretty funny.XD But in all seriousness, I like the idea of Big and Froggy being a Banjo-Kazooie style duo, could make for a lot of variety if done properly.