Awoo.

New Sonic Prime Clip Features Tails' Life Without Sonic

MGA_Gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New Sonic Prime Clip Features Tails' Life Without Sonic at some point.

With Sonic Prime approaching quickly (a week from now, if you're counting), Netflix After School has shared another clip of Sonic's alternate reality adventures, this time focusing on a Tails that never knew Sonic.

Featuring sprite art flashbacks and striking consistency with the new cutscenes features in Sonic Origins, the "Eggman Council" universe twists Tails' backstory. Without Sonic protecting and inspiring him as a child, he used his technical skills to shelter himself away and defend himself from bullies, leading him to develop his mecha-kitsune spider legs.

The first part of Sonic Prime premieres Dec. 15 on Netflix, with a special preview this Saturday within Roblox' Sonic Speed Simulator.

View full story

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, looks like Iizuka wasn't kidding about unifying the brand. IDW and now Prime seem to be treated as side stories within the game universe, rather than new universes unto themselves.

Very interested in seeing more.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Yeah, looks like Iizuka wasn't kidding about unifying the brand. IDW and now Prime seem to be treated as side stories within the game universe, rather than new universes unto themselves.

Very interested in seeing more.

This'll definitely be worth it's own topic, but yeah I'm very curious about how this all fits together over time. With the multiverse being so prevalent in the zeitgeist I'm kind of surprised that, despite the fact that Sonic Prime is all about it, they're still treating the Prime universe as the same as the main one. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Those faux-genesis sprite segments remind me a lot of similar moments from the Mega Man fully charged cartoon, in that they look kinda crusty like Newgrounds animations but the spirit is there.

it’s a cute scene overall, I’m just having trouble being invested when this is Tails 1/5 so he won’t get super deep development I don’t think 

• Thumbs Up 2

I love how they're showing us how Tails might have turned out had he not ever had Sonic around to look up to. This show really gives us the opportunity to see more "what-if" scenarios regarding the Sonic cast. There's a lot of potential here for some really unique character moments.

• Thumbs Up 6

I also like that, despite Eggman apparently ruling the world by the time of Sonic 2, there are indisputably still organic citizens with enough free time on their hands to be bullies. We saw normal non-robotic people milling around in the trailer, so that does seem to be the case.

This is so much more interesting to me than premises where he just roboticizes everyone, whether it's SatAM or more recent stories like the metal virus in IDW. I'm honestly really curious to see what society under the Eggman Empire is like in this show.

• Thumbs Up 4

I really liked that. The voices are really good, too. Wouldn't mind them becoming the game actors. 

Thought it was cool that they brought back Tails classic backstory back after it was seemingly gone, but apparently they already brought it back for Origins lol

• Thumbs Up 3

Hot damn the animation actually looks better when it's not just spliced 2 seconds clips. Also I guess tails canonically gets bullied by two dark brown foxes during his childhood when sonic meets him, neat continuality with Origins. One thing I really like, that could also just be me looking way too deep into this, Tails is in the happy go lucky emerald hill zone in the timeline where sonic's alive, but when sonic is absent (assumingly, lost during the events of sonic 1) Eggman has already industrialized the place. Really like that little hint as to just how quickly Eggman can spread his influence when there's no opposition.

Voices are going to be weird to get used to as always, but already looks good so far.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh thank god the dialogue isn't as shitty as it's been in the trailers. I have been so worried about that leading up to seeing an actual uncut scene.

I understand and agree with the issue that each world may struggle to feel fleshed-out or have consequence due to the episodic dimension-hopping nature of the series (probably by-design if we're putting all our eggs in one continuity basket now), but this has convinced me the show will, if nothing else, be an enjoyable watch.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just saw this and wow....I'm super amazed at how this turned out!  This clip got unexpectedly dark real fast and it's sad to think that this would be Tails' life if he hadn't met Sonic.  Now I'm more than excited to see this show!

Show looks way better than I expected. Was already relieved they didn't go off the deep end with the designs like Boom but looks like it could be a fun little action show. I remember one of the writers/producers saying they were going for a tone similar to Generator Rex somewhere, so that has my interest as well.

Too bad I don't have Netflix anymore but I'll find a way to see it eventually.

First clip I've seen that's genuinely sold me on the show. Everything else didn't look bad, but the feeling I got before now was "I'll watch it because it's Sonic", but the character exploration here has lots of potential. Good amounts of character acting too, and I'm surprised Tails' backstory is straight up just the one from Origins.

Better late than never, glad to finally be onboard with this show.

• Thumbs Up 1

whoa failinhearts coming out of his rp bunker to discuss sonic again, what a shocker

I had hopes about Prime cause I really liked Wildbrain's run on Ninjago for the most part, so I wanted to see if they could bring that level of quality to Prime since the trailers have been very vague about the kind of tone they'll be tackling.

Finally seeing a bit of it in uncut glory, I am really liking this.

Not only is Sega putting their money where their mouth is in terms of maintaining continuity between the games and auxillery media, but the voicework.

I did not know what to expect from Ashleigh Bell's Tails, but I think this is probably the best Tails has ever sounded already. I would love to see her take over the role full-time if needed.

Yeah, I'm very much sold.

Edited by Failinhearts
Minor spelling mistake, you win.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm rather afraid by what I saw : they re-use Tails and Sonic's first encounter from SONIC ORIGINS but it changed things from the original Japanese manual of SONIC 2 (or you can consider it just being a part of the Japanese manual)!!...
Moreover, they should have been more serious with the green and blue colours of the eyes...
In fact, I'm not a big fan of SONIC ORIGINS' animations since they changed many things, like for instance the fact that SONIC 3 happens just after SONIC 2, therefore leaving no place for SONIC 2 (8-bit) except if you make it happen after SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES (or if you consider that even if Eggman met Knuckles just after SONIC 2, the adventures told in SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES take place after a few other games, what won't erase things like Sonic finding a ring with ancient writings on it on the beach in SONIC 3's Japanese manual)!!...
I was also bothered by the design of the Chaos Emeralds in SONIC 1 & 2 animations... but then I remembered it had already been retconned in the scene from the past seen in SONIC ADVENTURE and SONIC FRONTIERS!!...
Well, it does not make me easy with the unification of all things SONIC (especially if the characters don't say the same things in the Japanese and English versions of the same game like in FRONTIERS)...

In the new video of SONIC PRIME, what bothered me the most is that Sonic said the Tornado is Tails' plane... that's the case of the "live action" movie but it has nothing to do in the canon of the games... or Sonic should have said it was the Tornado 2 or 3!!...

But for the first time, I may watch a few episodes of a SONIC animated series (SONIC PRIME) because it was fun to see the two red foxes again and maybe it can happen in the canon of the games since the hero of the series may be the original Sonic from the games leaving adventures in other dimensions!!...

It might seem like a strange thing to point out, but I'm happy with the lack of music and emphasis on environmental sound effects in the middle of this clip. It's a nice way to build atmosphere. I hope they play around with the lighting more too, since it's much easier to do that in 3D animation than 2D.

I've been avoiding clips of Prime in general; this is the first clip I've seen for it. Ashleigh Ball's Tails sounds really good! I was worried that he would sound Rainbow Dash-esque, but that's not the case. The dialogue here feels natural, which is great. Having natural sounding dialogue is a really low bar to clear, to be fair, but this is Sonic, so you can never be too sure lol

The pixel art looks kind of odd - like a young artist who's good at drawing but just testing out their first attempts at pixelated work. Otherwise, I don't have any complaints with the animation and visual style here. Excited to see the rest!

I don't really care much about the Origins cutscenes contradicting a Japanese manual written 30 years ago - the main concern for me is the characterization and storytelling in the show. The show could be completely distinct from the games, and as long as it feels like a coherent, well-enough told story, it will be easy to appreciate.

3 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

We got a sneak preview of Sonic Prime!

This is definitely the best the animation and writing for this show have appeared so far! Good stuff, though the Sprite animation seemed a bit wonky. 

I'm glad to see that Iizuka definitely meant it when he said they were unifying the canon and continuity, which this show shows off well.

Voice actors, while not replacements for the game VAs neccesarily are still top notch too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder why WildBrain went the Mega Man: Fully Charged route and created their own pixel artwork to mimic the games. Surely Sega would be willing to give them actual game assets to use. Not a big deal, just kind of puzzling.

I just watched it, pretty boring. The camera whooshes from Sonic to Tails, more excitedly than anything else happening. Was that really the best clip they could conjure up? Really not very good.

54 minutes ago, King Conne said:

In fact, I'm not a big fan of SONIC ORIGINS' animations since they changed many things, like for instance the fact that SONIC 3 happens just after SONIC 2, therefore leaving no place for SONIC 2 (8-bit) except if you make it happen after SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES

That's exactly it.

Ian has said the 8-bit games are still canon, but they're all after the Genesis games (or at least, after the ones featured in Origins; not mecessarily after 3D Blast).

He also confirmed that Tails Adventure is no longer set before Sonic and Tails met, but during this time period after the Genesis games. Which honestly makes more sense given Tails's development, so I'm fine with it.

• Thumbs Up 3

This scene is very fun.

The whole "Sonic Prime takes place on the same settings seen in the games and will feature Modern Sonic," is still up to interpretation. I do think it's intentionally vague and they'll keep it that way, brand unity being the goal.

FjeNHWQXkAQoG7i?format=jpg&name=orig

So #Retro and #Nostalgic amirite?

The clip is good, but what is up with these shows using fake pixel art instead of either sprites from the games or hired professionals? It looks so tacky 

• Thumbs Up 3