Awoo.

Crash Team Rumble (2023)

Jango

1 minute ago, mayday2592 said:

The gba games were great, and CTTR is dumb fun. Even the mutant games were decent to an extent. Honestly feel Crash didnt fall anywhere as hard as Sonic did when it came to the worst the franchise has  put out.

That's fair. I've never tried the gba games yet, so I can't speak for their quality but CTTR was a neat game if you tried not to be objective about its flaws.

But even with those, Crash had a long time without having any real hitters before he got his remakes a few years ago.

If this was a random multiplayer spinoff thing released in a previous era, with the whole game available out the box for a normal price, this would be fine.

In current year with Activision... you know this is gonna get ugly. Like so ugly I can't even bring myself to care.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Chili Dawg said:

If this was a random multiplayer spinoff thing released in a previous era, with the whole game available out the box for a normal price, this would be fine.

In current year with Activision... you know this is gonna get ugly. Like so ugly I can't even bring myself to care.

That's pretty much how I feel about the situation. 

We already got a taste of their predatory behavior on CTR NF, and that was with the scrutiny on their backs.

This game feels like it was made to be far more open season for mtx and ultra grinding pains.

3 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

Because those franchises all have consistency to back them up. Sonic, Kirby, and Mario all have a long line of good games to fall back on if their testing to jump genres fails. And at least when those franchises tried it, it was something that kind of made sense. Racing, RPG to explore their world, etc.

Crash does not have that luxury. Acti just finished rebuilding the good will in Crash games, but they shouldn't be getting this comfortable yet. Especially with trying to make a platforming mascot a league-like esports game.

The gameplay, based off leaks from Wumpa League's prototype is more or less traditional Crash gameplay with extra moves thrown in, with Dingodile's moveset practically 1:1, so it's nowhere near the genre jump as being described.

21 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

The gameplay, based off leaks from Wumpa League's prototype is more or less traditional Crash gameplay with extra moves thrown in, with Dingodile's moveset practically 1:1, so it's nowhere near the genre jump as being described.

That's a bit more comforting. Still curious as to how they manage to turn a platformer into a competitive team-based game. There's a chance it could be fun, but I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket. At the very least, we'll get some new characters for Acti to play with if we get crash games after this.

As much as I hate supporting stuff like this, I'll probably end up playing it anyways out of morbid curiosity.

Just now, LegoFedora said:

That's a bit more comforting. Still curious as to how they manage to turn a platformer into a competitive team-based game. There's a chance it could be fun, but I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket. At the very least, we'll get some new characters for Acti to play with if we get crash games after this.

As much as I hate supporting stuff like this, I'll probably end up playing it anyways out of morbid curiosity.

For the sake of context, here's the prototype in question - keep in mind, it is very early, but you can still clearly tell it's using Crash 4 as a basis (Rumour being that Crash 4 and Wumpa League having been developed together, with 4 being fully intended to be a basis for the new game, as the secret ending features the new Bat character in a split second cameo). 

Nothing about this personally excites me and I was pretty underwhelmed by the trailer. Like I wanna support it just to not have Crash die again but they gotta give me something I can sink my teeth in and I’m not really seeing it yet 

You shouldn't have to support anything out of fear of a franchise dying, especially if the product if something like this. If Crash "dies" again, it'll be the fault of the creators/publishers either not understanding what their audience wants out of the brand, not understanding how to make it work, or not understanding to monetize or overprice their product.

Don't let fear of death cause you to support a product you don't find interesting or good.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

You shouldn't have to support anything out of fear of a franchise dying, especially if the product if something like this. If Crash "dies" again, it'll be the fault of the creators/publishers either not understanding what their audience wants out of the brand, not understanding how to make it work, or not understanding to monetize or overprice their product.

Don't let fear of death cause you to support a product you don't find interesting or good.

That's honestly been my issue with some things Crash these days.

The fanbase is still very much traumatized by his massive hiatus that lasted almost a decade, to the point where they do feel the need to support him, given how ruthless Activision are with killing any franchise that they think isn't worth the trouble.

The problem is when this causes some of those fans to get highly defensive of legitimate problems and feel the need to buy these products off of fear of Crash being sent back to the closet again, giving Acti way more leeway than they deserve.

Or even neglecting legitimate problems with the games period.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

We JUST got a new crash platforming game and Activision is already trying to jump genres with Crash Bandicoot. Isn't this kind of thing what killed him in the first place? Why are companies so afraid of making a linear platformer.

Well, at least the cutscenes look like they'll be animated nicely like Crash 4s were...so there's that, I guess. Also, keeping the naming convention of Crash Team [Thing] is kind of neat, I'll give them that.

Hide contents

Now if you excuse me I'm going to start mentally preparing myself for when Crash dies for another 10 years. I wonder what the 2032 remakes will look like.

Saying they're ''jumping genres'' is a bit much imo, it's a spin off, it'd be like saying they're never making another 3D mario game because they made mario party and thus that's the genre of the series now, especially since it's not like we've seen what they plan to do after this. Heck the nomenclature of ''CTR'' pretty much confirms it's just that, another spin off in the ''Crash Team'' lineup.

With that said WOW no PC, no Switch and a trailer that shows less than 10 seconds of gameplay, this honestly looks like it's just being sent to die because it's preferable over throwing 3 years of development in the trash.

I'm legit gonna be extremely pissed if they skip PC and Switch for the THIRD (or fourth, I lost track) TIME with this franchise. What's the fucking goal when you skip these platforms??

18 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

Why are companies so afraid of making a linear platformer.

Doesn't history answer that question?  It hasn't been kind to the long term viability of the genre en-masse.

3 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

I'm legit gonna be extremely pissed if they skip PC and Switch for the THIRD (or fourth, I lost track) TIME with this franchise. What's the fucking goal when you skip these platforms??

While Switch is likely going to at worst, be a late port (so they can make moola off of the obvious double dipping and no way are they missing out on a platform that sells Crash as well as Nintendo, the platformer capital), PC is up in the air.

Let's be honest. The main reason they didn't add Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled was because they knew that modders would run circles around the hellish grinding-scape that was CTRNF's Pit Stop.

If they allow this game on PC eventually, I'll certainly be surprised, and probably expect them to do everything in their power to make sure people still have to pay through the nose or grind for an unhealthy amount of time again.

We may have got some "confirmations" about the roster beyond the ones in the trailer:

The BG image has some character related icons, as you can see, we have:

Crash's pants

Coco's tablet

Cortex's N

N. Brio's potion

Fem N. Tropy fork-staff-thing

Dingodile's sucking gun

Tawna's hook

A spike bracelet that's likely related to the Bat Girl OC (sorry for now Tiny fans)

So that's the base roster of 8.

But we also have:

N. Gin's missile

Male N. Tropy's fork-staff-thing

A TNT crate (it's either a "generic" icon or a hint at Ripper Roo)

A dragon wing (huge hint at Spyro)

A gem necklace (huge hint at Ripto)

A leaf (Elora?????)

So yeah. More characters coming. 

It's good to remember that CTRumble was being developed alongside Crash 4 and it was supposed to be that game's REAL multiplayer mode, which would come as a free update a few months after its release. Some inside information and hints in the game itself have pointed to that. Plans changed when Activision demanded more hands on CoD, but I guess their studios are back to their projects again. 

MAYBE Vicarious Visions could comeback to THPS 3+4 too? 🤔

On 12/8/2022 at 10:34 PM, DaBigJ said:

I'm just gonna put my cards on the table right now

*It'll be F2P

*Many microtransactions on par with mobile gaming

*No Switch version until a year later

*Spyro crossover

If I'm wrong I'll eat a shoe

Well, that's 1/4 right if the wing really is Spyro

Deep analysis by the Guy Eh.

Ngl, upon looking more deeply into the little gameplay footage sprinkled between the CGI segments, this might actually be fun to play? Keeping the characters' skills and platforming movement from Crash 4 is actually a good call, better than making something from scratch with the risk of feeling awkward. I like the fact that it's basically Crash 4 expanded. Curious to see more of how the new playable characters move and attack, especially N. Brio and N. Tropy. Btw, Cortex's ability to turn other players into THE FUCKING HOG is hilarious.

If MTX don't plague this game (much, because SOME is inevitable), I might dig in. Hopefully for more than just 2 weeks or so... Looking at you Multiversus.

20 hours ago, Jango said:

Deep analysis by the Guy Eh.

Ngl, upon looking more deeply into the little gameplay footage sprinkled between the CGI segments, this might actually be fun to play? Keeping the characters' skills and platforming movement from Crash 4 is actually a great idea, at least way better than making something from scratch and awkward. I like the fact that it's basically Crash 4 expanded. Curious to see more of how the new playable characters move and shit, especially N. Brio and N. Tropy. Btw, Cortex's ability to turn other players into THE FUCKING HOG is hilarious.

If MTX don't plague this game (much, because SOME is inevitable), I might dig in. Hopefully for more than just 2 weeks or so... Looking at you Multiversus.

I feel for CG'Eh - two years of his YouTube career has been spent pining towards this games existence. 

And now the result. 😕 

I would love to know his true feelings on the reveal or his actual take on the game, because at this point he's probably one of TFB's biggest backers and can't really slow his enthusiasm now. Saying that he could genuinely be excited as well I suppose. XD 

I think my only real problem with this game from what I gather from the trailer is that it looks exactly like what it was rumoured to be 2 years ago - a free multiplayer DLC bolt on to Crash 4. And whilst there is nothing wrong with that - existing as a separate thing brings its own cause of concerns. Will a 4V4 team based wumpa collectathon really work as platformer type game and have longevity? I don't know - especially as right now this seems like Bonus Round event stuff if you ask me. 

It could however be that they are only showing the tip of the iceberg and there is a lot more to CTR (same acronyms! why? ugh!) than meets the eye, so I'm willing to give it leeway and wait and see. But personally this isn't really my usual kind of thing to play, so I'm left feeling like a Crash Team Racing / Bash sequel would have been the better option. But TFB seem to believe they are on to something here which is why they are trying to see it through I guess...

...or it's the other side of the room and Activision potentially only green lit this for the $$$'s on cosmetics and purchasable's. So there's that. 

So are they going to go full in the MTX this time? Perhaps on the same level or worse than with CTR:NF? Who's to say at the moment. 

And, to lay it out in retrospect - I was able to look past a lot of iffy inner workings of CTR:NF because I enjoyed playing the game enough to take advantage of the system to purchase only what I wanted at the specific times. But that's not actually a good thing, as it meant I would purposely play the game at specific periods of the day / week which isn't realistic and not always feasible... yet I became addicted to do so.  

I suppose because I was addicted to the loop, I never made extra payments for unwanted cosmetics and because all the extra tracks and events seemed to roll out enough extras just caused me to glaze over. None of it affected my personal playstyle when actually I was already addicted to their grind, so by that feat they already had me really. But obviously paid transactions are completely predatory when set against more vulnerable gamers. 

What's going to be more telling of this practise is if CTRumble goes F2P or not, because if they do then it's almost certainly going to be MTX to hell and back. 

• Thumbs Up 3

35 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

I feel for CG'Eh - two years of his YouTube career has been spent pining towards this games existence. 

And now the result. 😕 

I would love to know his true feelings on the reveal or his actual take on the game, because at this point he's probably one of TFB's biggest backers and can't really slow his enthusiasm now. Saying that he could genuinely be excited as well I suppose. XD 

Well, on the other hand, we have the reaction of probably the biggest Crash fan on YouTube:

• Thumbs Up 2

Damn. Coming from the Crash man himself.

Honestly though, I'm not even surprised. The circumstances surrounding this game are...less than ideal to say the least, and it really doesn't help that this game lends itself to some of Activision's worst habits potentially.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah course, can't believe I forgot about Caddy (I suppose CG'eh's content tends to plague my feed a little more with his uploads). 

But yeah... that's not great. Can't honestly blame his reaction either, not just from the reveal but one must presume he still has some Crash 4 full completion fatigue. XD

3 hours ago, Sonicka said:

Ah course, can't believe I forgot about Caddy (I suppose CG'eh's content tends to plague my feed a little more with his uploads). 

But yeah... that's not great. Can't honestly blame his reaction either, not just from the reveal but one must presume he still has some Crash 4 full completion fatigue. XD

I think it has more to do with the genre of the game itself than anything else, plus that extra concern about MTX shit. It's worth mentioning that he made a whole video about "not feeling the N.Sane Trilogy" either when it got announced back then... so...

While I'm also not super into online battle royales aswell, CTRumble at least seems to present something a little more... I don't know the exact word, but something less like Fortnite/Overwatch and more like Power Stone, let's say? 

Doing Nitro-Fueled 2 or even Crash 5 would've been the safest bet for most people (myself included!) but at the moment, I have an open mind. TfB makes good shit.

We still don't have a solid confirmation if it's really F2P, only rumours by the way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Jango said:

I think it has more to do with the genre of the game itself than anything else, plus that extra concern about MTX shit. It's worth mentioning that he made a whole vide about "not feeling the N.Sane Trilogy" either when it got announced back then... so...

While I'm also not super into online battle royales aswell, CTRumble at least seems to present something a little more... I don't know the exact word, but something less like Fortnite/Overwatch and more like Power Stone, let's say? 

Doing Nitro-Fueled 2 or even Crash 5 would've been the safest bet for most people (myself included!) but at the moment, I have an open mind. TfB makes good shit.

We still don't have a solid confirmation if it's really F2P, only rumours by the way. 

Yup, that's true. I suppose we know nothing either way at the moment. Wish we did 😑

It's not so much that I don't like Battle Royale's per say (I was fast tracked into Fortnite this year by some friends - a game that I always felt was very far out of my comfort zone... yet quickly became the next addiction which what made me realise how damn bad these items stores can get when you really want stuff) - but I digress, I'm a bit more wary of a forced 4V4 experience, can I also play solo v solo? or solo with team of bots v bots? What's the exact deal with this?

With gameplay, if it's anything like Crash 4 (which it looks it) I'm sure it will be fun to control - I've not played PowerStone personally but watched a lot of others play it and I can see good comparison brewing there. 

But man, I'd really have loved another Nitro Fuelled game - they were just super lucky I loved the PS1 original and played that to death enough that I was able to enjoy the remake, I'd have still played it plenty even without the need or pull from their grind structure to do so.