Awoo.

Sonic Prime confirmed to be canon to the games

Dr. Mechano

12 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Oh yeah, it was always obvious that this wasn't going to be the same Sticks from Boom, 4th wall breaking powers notwithstanding.

Not the first time this has happened either. Amy and Charmy both debuted in a manga series before showing up in the games. These are "game versions" of those characters, bit their presence here doesn't make those particular manga stories game-canon.

Boom isn't canon to the games, but a separate "game Sticks" does exist.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Not the first time this has happened either. Amy and Charmy both debuted in a manga series before showing up in the games. These are "game versions" of those characters, bit their presence here doesn't make those particular manga stories game-canon.

Boom isn't canon to the games, but a separate "game Sticks" does exist.

Now, all I'm wondering is how Sticks will be integrated when she shows up in another game. Like, if we'll eventually get her origin story in the games canon (might just easily have her be a constant victim of Eggman's assaults, culminating with the incident where he actually took over the world, justifying her paranoia), have it explained in other media, or otherwise.

7 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I'm sure this isn't going to lead to any potential problems in the future at all.

They're gonna make the movies canon and you guys will have nobody but yourselves to blame, because "everything is canon" :V

That's not what I was trying to say, I wasn't saying the actual events of the movies would be cannon, just the characters being revamped for the game world. That's it, take a chill pill please.

Non-games media representing the games better is nice. It means that we should see more from sega characters that the games haven't really had room for lately like Shadow and Rouge. 

I've seen some people suggest that some bigger focus on an interconnected storyline is coming but I don't think that's what this is about. Sonic still takes a very deliberate "Don't let the peas and mashed potatoes touch" approach to continuity so it's not like any of this will lead to any overarching, multimedia storytelling or worldbuilding. The main thing this is about is quality control, which, considering the quality of previous Sonic cartoons is a good thing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, after watching all the episodes that have been released, considering the: 

Spoiler

massive emphasis Sonic Prime places on Green Hill Zone, to the point that Tails' workshop is located in Green Hill, Sonic tries to remind Nine of all the "great memories they had in Green Hill", the framing device of the 'friendship palm tree with all our memories' in Green Hill, and - in general - the fact that no other zone seems to exist for the characters as far as the story Sonic Prime is telling is concerned

I don't actually see how this could be canon to the game universe. It certainly doesn't feel like the game universe. For all that Sonic Team re-uses Green Hill Zone as an aesthetic, the game cast doesn't consider Green Hill Zone their home and it would be strange if they all did.

It's interesting how much "canon" used to matter to me.

The hard and fast rule I tend to live by is that references are great, but because the mainline games (until Frontiers at least) have been wildly inconsistent from an ongoing (and lore driven) perspective after the Adventure Series, I no longer care.

The extended media (comics, books, shows, movies, etc...) are all well and good too, but usually these are merely branches from the original source material, so these can be as valuable to the individual fan as you want - ignore them and they don't matter, herald them and they do.

And when it comes to Spinoff's like the Sonic Movies and now Sonic Prime - all that extended media sort of stuff is largely irrelevant in context, and that can apply for the big game lore stuff too. Now references to other games or 'the almighty canon' is all well and good, but every spinoff can say it's canon until it's starts its own branching narrative.

Sonic Prime however does sit in this area of potentially having it's own cake and eating it with the existence of the (multi)shatter-verse however. So I'm intrigued to see how they go forward with the idea. But at the end of the day, it's probably going to be another iteration of the hedgehog rather than "directly tied to" everything going forwards. And that's ok.  

After seeing both IDW and Prime now be the main canon universe, I never thought I'd say this but I think I actually kind of miss when every spinoff/offshoot media of Sonic was it's own thing that didn't care about main canon.

Something about these offshoots just feel really watered down and kind of boring now as a result, since it can't take too many risks because of the status quo needing to be maintained.

Literally every adaptation besides Sonic X and Sonic Underground was made after Sonic 2.

It's not that they didn't care, there was just nothing there to work with...

1 hour ago, juiceDpunk983 said:

Officially Canon. Wonder if this takes place after Frontiers or just before it.

I'm gonna assume the latter since Sage doesn't appear to be present.

I think Sonic fans are going to have to learn to expand their definition/understanding of "canon"

Or just get really mad about it

This series is part of the canon, that is something important to say right off the bat, the features create a whole new cano-

Okay yes I should've done this months ago but now this is going to make me drop the "pop culture" definition of canon honestly. No shade to Logan McPherson though he's done good work and is continuing to do so, canon's just a problematic word and with fanbases trashing on the merits of continuity it's just better to go vague speak. 

I'm just saying, with Tangle being namedropped in Frontiers, don't be surprised if the next Sonic game has some throwaway line like "Man, this reminds me of the time I fought the Chaos Council!"

• Chuckle 2

Okay I take half of what I say back https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1603574905441816578

It exists in the timeline of the games

That's super specific and there we go, now for Ian Flynn to make a pseudo timeline that'll get thrown out in a few years. But the main part this is definitely in continuity. Canon's still a problematic word in general, but here Sonic Prime is on par with the Colors-in-continuity-with-Adventure thing, in terms of separate but valid. 

The arguments on this are going to be amazing, hoping for an accidental Froggy retcon for people to fight over. 

On 12/16/2022 at 8:14 PM, jungle_penguins said:

Okay I take half of what I say back https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1603574905441816578

That's super specific and there we go, now for Ian Flynn to make a pseudo timeline that'll get thrown out in a few years. But the main part this is definitely in continuity. Canon's still a problematic word in general, but here Sonic Prime is on par with the Colors-in-continuity-with-Adventure thing, in terms of separate but valid. 

The arguments on this are going to be amazing, hoping for an accidental Froggy retcon for people to fight over. 

Definitely 100% in the same timeline as the games then, no new separate canon that's based on the games, this is in the games timeline. Confirmed Canon. Now we can all finally sleep at night.

Jokes aside, I always wanted to see a Sonic show that wasn't some elsewords Sonic Continuity. Now we can see what the characters are like a little bit more, in the games timeline.

Canon

Logan, this series takes place in the continuity of the video games. What was the motivation for doing that?

Logan McPherson: Yeah, it's a great point. It's first and foremost, it is canon and it does draw upon the existing mythology from the games. And we work very closely with Sega creatively to establish that. We obviously want to bring a new audience into that mythology and introduce them to the amazing 30-year history that has been established over the years, but also launch a new story that can take the characters and the situations to very unexpected places. So we really use the mythology as a springboard to create that familiarity for fans that have grown up with the games or are still fans today, and then create some unexpected twists and turns that take us to new and undiscovered places that a really broad audience can enjoy.

Okay, so I'm taking back half of what I said and I'm looking at this comment on a much closer inspection:

Based on that statement, it sounds like he was saying that they are taking some of the game lore and were inspired to make a new story out of said lore. The statement didn't say anything about where in the game's timeline the series takes place in. Like, if this series was meant to be taken place after Sonic Frontiers or something like that, then they would have straight up said that in the statement. The only game connections I'm seeing in the series so far is how Tails' backstory is taken straight from Sonic Origins and how Sonic and Knuckles met each other was taken straight out of Sonic 3 and Knuckles. This series sounds like it's going to be like the movies where they take inspirations from the games, but they are still telling their own stories separate from the games.