Awoo.

Iizuka: "A Lot More" Planned for Sonic in 2023

MGA_Gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into Iizuka Confirms Second Wave of Sonic Content in 2023, Beyond Frontiers DLC at some point.

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

MGA_Gamer was awarded the badge 'Sonic News Tipster' and 5 points.

So apparently, Sega has "A Lot More" Sonic content coming in 2023:

Iizuka: "This past year was the biggest year in Sonic history, including the release of the movie sequel, new titles Sonic Origins and Sonic Frontiers, and the Netflix animation Sonic Prime. We are preparing a second wave to keep the fans happy and maintain that momentum going into 2023. We already announced additional content for Sonic Frontiers, but there is a lot more outside of that, so please look forward to it.”

Source: Takashi Iizuka: SEGA Has "A Lot More" Planned For Sonic The Hedgehog In 2023 | Nintendo Life

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

I wouldn't read too far into it. I feel like it's gonna be something like more merch, production on Sonic the Hedgehog 3, more IDW comics, and the Frontiers content updates. Maaaaaybe a spin-off title if they outsource.

Considering this and the over-saturation of Marvel/DC, this make me wonder how much Sonic would be "too much Sonic" in my life.

I know that I could easily consume 2 comic books series, maybe even 3 (chaos knows it's only way to see Blaze or Chaotix).

It's unsurprising that they don't want to lose the momentum gained during 2022.

Atm we have:

• Sonic Frontiers roadmap dlc spread across the year, possibly with more skins dropping inbetween.
  • Knuckles Spin-off show filling the gap between the 2nd and 3rd movies.
  • The rest of Sonic Prime's episodes dropping on Netflix.
  • Comics, mobile games, merch etc carrying on as usual

That alone, to me, is already a reasonably healthy line-up for a year that will almost certainly be a bit quieter than 2022 has been.

From what Iizuka is saying though, I have a feeling there's at least one unannounced game project slated for 2023.

With Origins collecting multiple remastered Classic games they might not feel there's an immediate need for another 2D game yet but a new Modern 2D game would be really cool to see. It'd alternatively be nice to see Sonic dip into spin-off territory again, if it has to be a racing game PLEASE give the Riders series another chance!

It also just so happens to be Sonic Adventure's 25th anniversary next year. Given the speculation from a certain scene in Frontiers, not to mention the various Adventure-era callbacks we've had lately I could absolutely see them creating a new remaster for the game. Essentially creating a best-of-both of the Dreamcast and DX versions, aka an official equivalent of the Dreamcast Conversion mod.

• Thumbs Up 6

7 hours ago, PickleBrows said:

It's unsurprising that they don't want to lose the momentum gained during 2022.

Atm we have:

• Sonic Frontiers roadmap dlc spread across the year, possibly with more skins dropping inbetween.
  • Knuckles Spin-off show filling the gap between the 2nd and 3rd movies.
  • The rest of Sonic Prime's episodes dropping on Netflix.
  • Comics, mobile games, merch etc carrying on as usual

That alone, to me, is already a reasonably healthy line-up for a year that will almost certainly be a bit quieter than 2022 has been.

From what Iizuka is saying though, I have a feeling there's at least one unannounced game project slated for 2023.

With Origins collecting multiple remastered Classic games they might not feel there's an immediate need for another 2D game yet but a new Modern 2D game would be really cool to see.

Yes!! :) :)  some sort of unique Chao system that would work between Frontiers (if Chao are added along with the new story DLC), new 2D Sonic (Sonic 5 was in what i seem to remember possibly being a real leak) and Evening Star's new Dreamcast inspired game.  i'm not sure how the Chao would exist in the latter but, portals between the Sonic world and the world of whatever their new game will be, would always work!! 

Hoping for a proper 2D title. Mania was great but I'd love a 2D game that isn't about nostalgia. I would love a spiritual successor to Sonic Rush or something that revitalizes the 2D formula in a unique way.

• Thumbs Up 8

If we get a game in 2023, it'll probably be either a dpin off title like a racing game or olympics, or something like a port or remaster outsourced

12 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

If we get a game in 2023, it'll probably be either a dpin off title like a racing game or olympics, or something like a port or remaster outsourced

I wouldn't mind another fighting game honestly.

• Thumbs Up 2

If they are making another Sonic game next year (and that's a BIG IF), I just hope that they don't rush out the game like they did with Sonic Colors Ultimate and Sonic Origins and actually give the developers more time to make the games this time around.

• Thumbs Up 5

Let's see. Given that, so far, we seem to have coming in 2023:

• Sonic Frontiers DLC
  • Sonic Prime Batch 2-3
  • Knuckles Show
  • IDW Comics

And potentially, more additions to the Symphony which is going on a world wide tour of sorts. It could be a matter of branching these out well enough, and perhaps throwing in a spin-off, remaster, and/or 2D game, into the mix as well.

That should be able to keep the momentum going well enough.

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe we'll get a follow up to origins with the 8 bit games. 1/2/chaos/ triple trouble/ blast -hope so, 1 and 2 8 bit were initially a bigger part of my initial childhood experiences of sonic than the 16 bits 

Failing that...sonic 4 complete. With remastered momentum fand gravity for ep1, and a final 3rd episode

• Thumbs Up 1

I highly doubt we'll ever get a modern (console) re-release of the old 8-bit games unless some sort of monkey paw thing happens.

If anything were to get re-released, it'd probably be something like SA1/SA2 or a physical release for Origins

2 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

I highly doubt we'll ever get a modern (console) re-release of the old 8-bit games unless some sort of monkey paw thing happens.

If anything were to get re-released, it'd probably be something like SA1/SA2 or a physical release for Origins

A physical version of Origins is what I want to see actually. Call me crazy, but I do want to see 3D Blast, Spinball and even Chaotix as playable games in such a version.

5 hours ago, castell-neath said:

Maybe we'll get a follow up to origins with the 8 bit games. 1/2/chaos/ triple trouble/ blast -hope so, 1 and 2 8 bit were initially a bigger part of my initial childhood experiences of sonic than the 16 bits 

Failing that...sonic 4 complete. With remastered momentum fand gravity for ep1, and a final 3rd episode

I am confident that we will never see Sonic 4 remastered or re-released in any format. It may still show up in digital stores on future consoles but I don't see SEGA ever doing anything with that title again besides quietly allowing it to exist.

It may show up as bonus content in a compilation but I doubt it would get any quality of life updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking on the IDW comics side of this. It would be nice to have an epilogue comic and a prologue animation (The Divergence animation was amazing!). This of course is just theory but to me it doesn't make sense to have a prologue comic/animation and not an epilogue. As far as this new rumored 2d Sonic game I'm not holding my breath on that one.

On 12/28/2022 at 10:00 PM, Spooky Mulder said:

Hoping for a proper 2D title. Mania was great but I'd love a 2D game that isn't about nostalgia. I would love a spiritual successor to Sonic Rush or something that revitalizes the 2D formula in a unique way.

It took Sonic Team 5 years to revitalize the 3d formula (in a not so) unique way. Though the idea of there being a game similar to Sonic Rush is rather intriguing however.....

On 12/28/2022 at 10:22 PM, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I wouldn't mind another fighting game honestly.

I'd rather them try another Sonic Battle type game. Where the Sonic's friends are required to gain the entire story. The 2d sprite battles were indeed pretty fun if the difficulty was increased, the moves from Frontiers were Sonic's move set and they added in a button input and combo system then I'd love it. Battle was pretty good in my opinion; I enjoyed how the story was weaved into the characters views on Emerl and how they form him into a robot with personality. 

Spoiler

(Only for him to be destroyed by Sonic at the end)

On 1/10/2023 at 8:43 AM, TheZekenator said:

I'd rather them try another Sonic Battle type game. Where the Sonic's friends are required to gain the entire story. The 2d sprite battles were indeed pretty fun if the difficulty was increased, the moves from Frontiers were Sonic's move set and they added in a button input and combo system then I'd love it. Battle was pretty good in my opinion; I enjoyed how the story was weaved into the characters views on Emerl and how they form him into a robot with personality. 

Honestly, given how beefed up the fighting scheme got with Frontiers, I'd be pretty ecstatic to see the more fleshed combat system put to use in a new and improved fighting game at that.

Along with the expansive roster on hand.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:50 PM, ShinyGems said:

A physical version of Origins is what I want to see actually. Call me crazy, but I do want to see 3D Blast, Spinball and even Chaotix as playable games in such a version.

This. It blows my mind that Sega didn't release a physical version of this game. There are plenty of us out there who still prefer physical media. Feels like by keeping it download only, Sega is missing out on a pretty large demographic of video game collectors who would gladly scoop up yet another Sonic compilation without giving it another thought.

• Thumbs Up 1