Awoo.

Forgotten characters in IDW

Red Hot Jack

On 12/31/2022 at 8:42 PM, GentlemanX said:

In terms of the SatAM cast and AOSTH cast that appeared Post-Reboot, with one notable exception this won't really impact what's off the table (does anyone really care if Antoine loses the last name D'Coolette? Over not seeing the character at all?).

Resident DiC Sonic production nerd here to clear up some accidental misinformation:

There's absolutely no copyright issue with the name "Antoine D'Coolette" - Ian Flynn is just mistaken (granted, he's never said that he's absolutely sure there's an issue with the name - I think GentlemanX was just guessing). The name originates from SatAM pre-production materials for the SatAM pilot (also used for Season 1), which were provided to the Archie staff working on Issue #0 in mid 1992. SEGA fully owns the copyrights for literally all the materials made for SatAM, including the model sheets, scripts, and story bibles. I've made an image below with examples (including an image from Paul Castiglia's original layout for Issue #0, showing the Archie staff's dependence on DiC's pilot materials in 1992):

Spoiler

1795833004_AntoineNames.thumb.png.c3077a55537d70e80aa70145bcde2071.png

The Depardieu name comes from Season 2, which was production-wise a separate entity from Season 1 with a near-entirely separate staff working on it - even the series director changed between seasons. It's also why Tails is four and three quarters in the pilot and Season 1 materials, but ten in Season 2.

If Ian thinks that there's an issue with "Antoine D'Coolette" then he should also think there's an issue with "Bunnie Rabbot". Because her full name doesn't appear anywhere in SatAM itself outside of the very same production materials which contain Antoine's full name too. The singling out of Antoine in particular is odd - there's literally no theoretical copyright problem with the name that wouldn't also apply to "Bunnie Rabbot" (and again, SEGA owns every 1992 document these characters were conceived in, which include their names). "Rotor Walrus" is actually in the worse position, copyright-wise, since there are no preserved DiC documents that have been publicly released featuring this name - though at least his last name is just his species.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Fieryfurnace said:

Resident DiC Sonic production nerd here to clear up some accidental misinformation:

There's absolutely no copyright issue with the name "Antoine D'Coolette" - Ian Flynn is just mistaken (granted, he's never said that he's absolutely sure there's an issue with the name - I think GentlemanX was just guessing). The name originates from SatAM pre-production materials for the SatAM pilot (also used for Season 1), which were provided to the Archie staff working on Issue #0 in mid 1992. SEGA fully owns the copyrights for literally all the materials made for SatAM, including the model sheets, scripts, and story bibles. I've made an image below with examples (including an image from Paul Castiglia's original layout for Issue #0, showing the Archie staff's dependence on DiC's pilot materials in 1992):

Hide contents

1795833004_AntoineNames.thumb.png.c3077a55537d70e80aa70145bcde2071.png

The Depardieu name comes from Season 2, which was production-wise a separate entity from Season 1 with a near-entirely separate staff working on it - even the series director changed between seasons. It's also why Tails is four and three quarters in the pilot and Season 1 materials, but ten in Season 2.

If Ian thinks that there's an issue with "Antoine D'Coolette" then he should also think there's an issue with "Bunnie Rabbot". Because her full name doesn't appear anywhere in SatAM itself outside of the very same production materials which contain Antoine's full name too. The singling out of Antoine in particular is odd - there's literally no theoretical copyright problem with the name that wouldn't also apply to "Bunnie Rabbot" (and again, SEGA owns every 1992 document these characters were conceived in, which include their names). "Rotor Walrus" is actually in the worse position, copyright-wise, since there are no preserved DiC documents that have been publicly released featuring this name - though at least his last name is just his species.

I'm semi-sure Robotnik actually addressed her as such when he stole Lazaar's computer.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I'm semi-sure Robotnik actually addressed her as such when he stole Lazaar's computer.

Ah, that's fair. I actually checked the script for "Sonic and Sally" since that was the only Season 1 episode I remembered Bunnie playing a big role in lol

I would edit my post accordingly, but I can't. Still, I hope the point of my post comes across. 

Edited by Fieryfurnace